Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sport loop dries fast. You squeeze the water out and it barely feels damp then dries completely in a few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

xzzy posted:

Sport loop dries fast. You squeeze the water out and it barely feels damp then dries completely in a few minutes.

I don't even squeeze mine, just towel dry after my outdoor runs. Dries within minutes. Once a week, not daily.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Why would you do this? I mean, water-resistance issues aside (great to hear it has been OK), you would have to take it off to dry your wrist and watch anyway? :confused:

I need the 15 calories for my rings of course.

The watch and sport loop air dries quickly on its own :shrug:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I thought you weren't supposed to get soap or shampoo on the watch?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's an article of clothing, that poo poo is getting regularly washed with soap no matter what Apple says to do. I'm not a germaphobe but stuff does need cleaned routinely.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

xzzy posted:

It's an article of clothing, that poo poo is getting regularly washed with soap no matter what Apple says to do. I'm not a germaphobe but stuff does need cleaned routinely.

I still find it terrifying to use plain water on my expensive electronic device when cleaning the watch, definitely too scared to disobey Apple and add soap to the equation.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Anecdotally, my old S1 which isn’t even supposed to be waterproof was in the shower with soap almost every day for the past few years with zero problems. Currently subjecting my new watch to the same.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

buffbus posted:

Anecdotally, my old S1 which isn’t even supposed to be waterproof was in the shower with soap almost every day for the past few years with zero problems. Currently subjecting my new watch to the same.

Same here - my old S1 is still working (for a friend) and I never worried about the shower, or the pool. I'm thoughtless, I think I showered for a month before even remembering that it wasn't supposed to be waterproof.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Do not use soap to clean your devices, it’s a surfactant and can amplify capillary action (how water gets in your devices even without gravity.)

Easier and safer ways to kill germs like isopropyl alcohol.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I shower, swim in the ocean, etc with my S3 and no issues. My wife asks me what the ‘ending water mode’ sound is every time like it’s the first time she’s heard it.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Are there any known workarounds (or even any noise from Apple) about this thing where watchOS 6 (and/or iOS 13 - I got both at the same time, belatedly) makes Siri insanely slow? 5-10s for simple-rear end poo poo like setting timers, where the same on the phone is ~1s like before upgrading, is driving me bananas. (S4 watch, iPhone SE).

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Would you guys get a Stainless steel 4 or a aluminum 5 LTE? Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Fcdts26 posted:

Would you guys get a Stainless steel 4 or a aluminum 5 LTE? Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times.

Well depend last on your needs really. I always have my phone with me so I don’t need the LTE. Plus that’s another internet connection to pay for.

But I’d go for the 5 over the 4 for the always on screen.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Fcdts26 posted:

Steel 4 but mostly because I care more about sapphire than always on.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The stainless steel 4 has LTE as well.

I'd go with the post above. They both have the same guts except for the always on display. The 4 has the tougher body and screen. So it all depends on if you want the AOD.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
I probably should have included all of this , Best Buy has the SS4 with LTE and Milanese loop for $599. Or I can get the aluminum S5 for like $515 with LTE. I’m thinking battery life and durability are more important then the always on screen but I’m not sure. Is always on that great?

I don’t think I’ll care about the compass at all.

The idea of not needing my phone 100% of the time is pretty cool.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If you don’t care about AOD then SS 4 all the way.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The only thing that hasn't been mentioned is the fact that the SS & Milanese Loop is quite a bit heavier than the aluminum model with a sport band, but if you have no frame of reference, it's not that heavy by traditional watch standards. At those price points, SS S4 all the way.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh yeah if you go SS/Milanese you’re going to need a 2nd band if you plan to do any kind of exercise.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I have my watch on one of those Belkin stands:

It's pretty good. The super annoying thing is that it's on my work desk, and the desk is on carpet so it's not rock solid stable. This causes nightstand mode to go on if there's any knock on the desk.

I decided to turn off nightstand mode, but I just realized, I have a series 5. Given the AOD, is there any way to keep nightstand mode on all the time? I know this wasn't possible on previous watches but hoping the AOD changes the game.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

I have my watch on one of those Belkin stands:

It's pretty good. The super annoying thing is that it's on my work desk, and the desk is on carpet so it's not rock solid stable. This causes nightstand mode to go on if there's any knock on the desk.

I decided to turn off nightstand mode, but I just realized, I have a series 5. Given the AOD, is there any way to keep nightstand mode on all the time? I know this wasn't possible on previous watches but hoping the AOD changes the game.

Nightstand mode has always been super sensitive for me, but that's why i like it. I can just give my night stand a light tap and it lights up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's the intended design.. it's meant to function as a bedside clock that isn't actually lit all the time.

Not sure what "permanent nightstand mode" would be. Do you just want a simple green watch face? Or the super sensitive tap to wake feature?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Any suggestions for a unit conversion app? You'd think the calculator app would be able to do it, but nope.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Asking Siri

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
That does not work in areas where one cannot talk to one's watch.

Someone suggested pcalc lite, and the unit pack's only a buck, so that seems like a good pick.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

kefkafloyd posted:

That does not work in areas where one cannot talk to one's watch.

Someone suggested pcalc lite, and the unit pack's only a buck, so that seems like a good pick.

PCalc is a very good general calculator app, with a pretty good unit conversion function. It has things like shortcuts for common cooking conversions and also supports some very obscure scientific and engineering units. There might be better specialized unit conversion apps, but PCalc does it well along with being a very good general calculator app. I highly recommend it.

As an aside, PCalc has a pretty cool history: it’s been more or less in continuous development since 1992. It’s basically an example of one person focusing on one very specific thing (calculator apps) for 27 years, and it shows: it has a zillion configuration options, and supports just about any operation you could want

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just type it into google

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Arcsech posted:

PCalc is a very good general calculator app, with a pretty good unit conversion function. It has things like shortcuts for common cooking conversions and also supports some very obscure scientific and engineering units. There might be better specialized unit conversion apps, but PCalc does it well along with being a very good general calculator app. I highly recommend it.

As an aside, PCalc has a pretty cool history: it’s been more or less in continuous development since 1992. It’s basically an example of one person focusing on one very specific thing (calculator apps) for 27 years, and it shows: it has a zillion configuration options, and supports just about any operation you could want

I hate this app because of its name and my inability to read it as anything other than “PC Calc.”

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I know you can use your Apple Watch with PowerPoint as a clicker with your phone butttt

I want an USB dongle I can plug into any computer and use my watch as a presentation clicker. Why doesn’t that exist??

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Housh posted:

I know you can use your Apple Watch with PowerPoint as a clicker with your phone butttt

I want an USB dongle I can plug into any computer and use my watch as a presentation clicker. Why doesn’t that exist??

That sounds like a great idea but I wouldn't be excited for the tech publications going apeshit over Apple releasing a USB dongle like that.

Though I wouldn't be shocked if something like that ends up working for macOS.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Protocol7 posted:

That sounds like a great idea but I wouldn't be excited for the tech publications going apeshit over Apple releasing a USB dongle like that.

Though I wouldn't be shocked if something like that ends up working for macOS.

Keynote already has this for MacOS. Install Keynote on your Mac and iPhone and Watch. Turn on the remote function, launch the presentation on your Mac, and you can use your phone or watch to advance slides. If you use the phone as the remote you can draw and use a 'laser pointer' on the slides too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Yeah but then you have to use Keynote. Which is fine if your presentation will never leave your personal device but the moment you add a second person into the mix it’s PowerPoint all day every day.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

PowerPoint and corporate windows workstations built into the projection systems.

Guess I’ll have to shell out for a fancy Logitech remote. Wish I knew how to program a Bluetooth app for the watch that makes it universal keyboard arrow key right and left.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Housh posted:

PowerPoint and corporate windows workstations built into the projection systems.

Guess I’ll have to shell out for a fancy Logitech remote. Wish I knew how to program a Bluetooth app for the watch that makes it universal keyboard arrow key right and left.

Are you able to get a helper app pushed onto the dedicated PP workstations?

If so, this looks like it work for you maybe?

https://universalpresenterremote.com

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Housh posted:

Perhaps this app could do the trick? It claims to work on Mac and PC.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

XBenedict posted:

Perhaps this app could do the trick? It claims to work on Mac and PC.

I think the problem with those types of apps is you have to install the receiver software on the target PC, which may be frowned upon depending on your work environment (if you even have that access to the target machine).

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not sure if I am able to install anything or run an executable on the machines but I will investigate next week. A plug and play USB receiver still seems like the most convenient solution.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Whelp. In other news...

Nasty shiny scratch on my black S5 Ti casing. Thought the black DLC coating wasn't supposed to do that. Apple is sending a coffin. Never had any scratches with my black SS. Sucks :(

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Housh posted:

Whelp. In other news...

Nasty shiny scratch on my black S5 Ti casing. Thought the black DLC coating wasn't supposed to do that. Apple is sending a coffin. Never had any scratches with my black SS. Sucks :(

You don't happen to be using a black Milanese loop or link bracelet, do you? I learned the hard way that DLC-coated SS watch case vs. DLC-coated Milanese loop... loop wins. Thankfully it's on the underside of the case that only I can see, but I swear, all it took was a touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

enojy posted:

You don't happen to be using a black Milanese loop or link bracelet, do you? I learned the hard way that DLC-coated SS watch case vs. DLC-coated Milanese loop... loop wins. Thankfully it's on the underside of the case that only I can see, but I swear, all it took was a touch.
Nope. I think it happened at the gym. Must've scraped against a gym machine. Really lame cause I would bang around my SS all the time when working out.

https://imgur.com/4uiPKx8

Question: can I pair two watches to my phone? Once I get this one repaired, I think I'm gonna wear my S2 to the gym from now on. Really disappointed this happened. Thought it would be at least the same strength as my old watch.