Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Twelve by Pies posted:

Having ten hearts, I did go back to Eventide and thanks to understanding cooking better, Mipha's Grace and Daruk's Protection, as well as the tip about Rock Octorocks and rusty equipment (except shields, that fucker shot it like a million miles away, I couldn't find it), I was able to handle it easily this time around. Then I tried the Trial of the Sword and accidentally blew myself up halfway through the beginner levels. I probably need to come back with a max hearts, because losing all your progress if you make a mistake sucks.

Another tip: cooking a meal including a dragon horn chunk makes the effect last for 30 mins. A ton of yellow hearts and a 30 min x3 defense boost make the sword trials a lot more survivable.

Also make sure you have your detector set to chests in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Bongo Bill posted:

The concept of an entire village where everybody's name has to end in "-son," even if it doesn't have any of the same characters.

Plot in the next game where you hear Rhondson has a boy child and names him Ganson.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
All I want is for the underground in BOTW2 to have Subrosians. I love the cute little guys.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Now that I'm physically hunting Lynels, trying to collect the 12(!!) hoofs I need to upgrade the Barbarian Armor, and I can't find a loving one! I found a blue maned fucker while hunting the skeleton horse, and it didn't drop a single fukkin hoof!

Outrageous. At least I'm good at backflips now.

how did you not put a skull stamp in the map every time you ran into one to remind you that we do not go there

(until late game where we definitely go there all the time to kill those assholes)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
My mind puts skulls in all the quest related locations that intersect with lynels (this is actually a pretty small number) and just remembers to hold gallops until they have a visual and then make tracks

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

how did you not put a skull stamp in the map every time you ran into one to remind you that we do not go there

(until late game where we definitely go there all the time to kill those assholes)

. . . I use skulls for hinoxes and the giant rock monsters. i remember there's one in the coliseum and one on thunder arrow peak. I forget the rest.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

Another tip: cooking a meal including a dragon horn chunk makes the effect last for 30 mins. A ton of yellow hearts and a 30 min x3 defense boost make the sword trials a lot more survivable.

wait u can go in with buffs?

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

scary ghost dog posted:

wait u can go in with buffs?

Yup. A 30 minute defense buff makes it easy because you just tank the hell out of everything hitting you

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

. . . I use skulls for hinoxes and the giant rock monsters. i remember there's one in the coliseum and one on thunder arrow peak. I forget the rest.

One west of Riola Spring, 2 between the snowfield and the labyrinth, one west of the Akkala Ancient Furnace, one near Tabantha Great Bridge, up past the shrine, one up on the Gerudo Snowfield by the Heroine's Sword, one near Serenne Stable, up the road towards the canyon head and and to the right. Oh, and one in the far west, snowfield south of the big mountain with a chunk missing. And one at the end of the trench from Skull Lake to Akkala. I think that's all...

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Runcible Cat posted:

One west of Riola Spring, 2 between the snowfield and the labyrinth, one west of the Akkala Ancient Furnace, one near Tabantha Great Bridge, up past the shrine, one up on the Gerudo Snowfield by the Heroine's Sword, one near Serenne Stable, up the road towards the canyon head and and to the right. Oh, and one in the far west, snowfield south of the big mountain with a chunk missing. And one at the end of the trench from Skull Lake to Akkala. I think that's all...

All told, there are twenty-two Lynels in the base game.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

You can also use the Object Map for those or any other things that are hard to find.

https://mrcheeze.github.io/botw-object-map/

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

mastajake posted:

You can also use the Object Map for those or any other things that are hard to find.

https://mrcheeze.github.io/botw-object-map/

Okay that looks extremely detailed but if you'd like one a little less detailed but much more user friendly:
https://www.zeldadungeon.net/breath-of-the-wild-interactive-map/

It has clickable icons for each shrine that will take you to a relevant wiki page. Also you can click things to check them off as completed as you have done them.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah I like that one a lot too for simpler things, but the first one is good for like Hightail Lizards or stuff like that.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Well thanks, y'all! I just found the shrine inside the cave you have to open by rolling a snowball at the door, it would be cool to see more interior spaces like that in the sequel.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

give up the goods nintendo. release breath of the wild 2, to me, right now

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

romanowski posted:

give up the goods nintendo. release breath of the wild 2, to me, right now

:hmmyes:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Well thanks, y'all! I just found the shrine inside the cave you have to open by rolling a snowball at the door, it would be cool to see more interior spaces like that in the sequel.

The trailer is set in a giant cave, so I think your wish will be granted.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

So help me, this thread has convinced me to give BotW another try, focusing on not avoiding combat and not being an obsessive weapons hoarder. I dunno if I'll make it through the entire story progression, but I'm gonna give it some more time at least :ohdear:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I was watching the twilight zone last night and I thought I heard something that sounded familiar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvZjfGMxrmI

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I've been exclusively using skulls for Lynels. I use the gem icon all the way on the right for Stone Talus, and swords for Hinox.

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah I had the detector set, I didn't know I could go in with buffs though, that's pretty useful. Even if I have a bunch of yellow hearts I'll probably wait until I have a few more heart containers under my belt.

Finally got a full set of Ancient armor, I wish the game explained things better because I had to use google to find out what Ancient Proficiency does. It's too bad Ancient Cores are so rare, I want that chainsaw sword but I need two more cores for it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Early game is interesting, going back into it. Some of it is very well designed (I like the intro shrines, they do a good job at introducing you to exploring different terrain and guiding you through your early puzzle powers), and some is aggravating just because it's basic stuff that is missable if you run off in the wrong direction.

This time, I just randomly stumbled into the bandit camp and got Hestu's Maracas, then immediately met Hestu himself and got told to go find Korok seeds if I wanted to carry more stuff. My first playthrough, I totally missed that and spent most of my playthrough wondering what the seeds were for before I finally got around to googling whether inventory upgrades were even a thing. Also, the shrine near Kakariko village that tutors you in some more advanced fighting techniques is super useful, but it's weird to put that somewhere that you might not always run into - I forgot where it was and didn't stumble onto it til I wandered by later on my way to cashing in some seeds.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I mean... if you aren't getting the shrine at kakariko for fast travel purposes what the heck are you doing

And if you aren't going to kakariko first on your playthrough, at that point you're already accepting that you're not going by the "conventional" route and will probably run into things out of "order"

I do think it was a bad idea to place Hestu only exactly on the road to kakariko, however. They already have numerous points in the game where he can show up on his way to the forest, and they really should've let you meet him at any of those spots. His service is too invaluable, and it's the only thing that makes half of the games' collectibles make sense.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 5, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Amppelix posted:

I mean... if you aren't getting the shrine at kakariko for fast travel purposes what the heck are you doing

Oh sure, I knew about it from finding it early in my first playthrough. It's not a huge problem or anything, I was just surprised to find that it's apparently possible to make it all the way through the Kakariko plot dump and move along to do other stuff without ever seeing it, even generally remembering that there was one somewhere near the village.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
My first Playthrough, I accidentally got off the path Rhoam told me to go, and was chased north. Wound up stumbling over mountains, ran into a Guardian, and found Kakariko from the western entrance instead of the East, missing Hetsu entirely.

Didn't find him the first time until I finally decided to look things up. I /might/ have gotten to Hateno and back before I found him.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
My brother doesn't have a Switch so I let him make an account on mine so he could play BotW. He played it for about ten hours, and I can confirm he never found the shrine at Kakariko, because he was on his way to Hateno and I told him to flurry rush something and he had no idea what that was, I told him the shrine at Kakariko should've taught him and his answer was "What shrine?" The shrine also comes pretty "far" into the game for teaching you basic combat moves, it probably would have been better off being on the plateau and one of the requirements to get the paraglider.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Rhoam: "I shall give you the paraglider...but only if you can defeat my spirit form with a sacred flurry of blows"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Twelve by Pies posted:

He played it for about ten hours, and I can confirm he never found the shrine at Kakariko, because he was on his way to Hateno and I told him to flurry rush something and he had no idea what that was, I told him the shrine at Kakariko should've taught him and his answer was "What shrine?" The shrine also comes pretty "far" into the game for teaching you basic combat moves, it probably would have been better off being on the plateau and one of the requirements to get the paraglider.

on the other hand whenever you are able to do a flurry rush the game literally says Flurry Rush in big white letters beside a flashing graphic of repeatedly pressing the attack button so maybe just, like, look at the video game as you play it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bleck posted:

on the other hand whenever you are able to do a flurry rush the game literally says Flurry Rush in big white letters beside a flashing graphic of repeatedly pressing the attack button so maybe just, like, look at the video game as you play it

I certainly didn't trigger it more than once or twice my first time around, and wouldn't have been quick enough to read the prompt, act on it, and figure out which cool combat move triggered it well after forgetting whatever I'd learned in the shrine tutorial.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think my favorite part of botw is the people who discover the combat shrines late-game

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bleck posted:

I will never look at the screen. This would take time away from staring intently at my 6ft commissioned portrait of Pruce

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The Kakariko shrine is more missable than you might think.

https://twitter.com/negaoryx/status/1075864711554461698?s=21

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can quite easily see people ignoring the shrines after the initial ones. A lot of people prefer to beeline a main quest and not waste time on optional content in open worlds.

Of course when they realise they need hearts, stamina and fast travel points they'll start doing shrines again, but not necessarily the Kakariko one.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kinda makes you miss the days when videogames had manuals.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SlothfulCobra posted:

Kinda makes you miss the days when videogames had manuals.

I'm pretty sure there's an in game manual with controls that list side hops and back flips. But that would require people to stop and read menus for a second.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I actually looked up the control descriptions in the menu after manuals were mentioned, it does list the basic jumps and parry, but doesn't mention that you can trigger special actions by timing them just right. I think I've only triggered it once since I generally spend a lot more time blocking than dodging (although I just realized you can swap the jump button to B, which seems like it'll feel a lot more natural to use).

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 5, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugh....I'm already sick of weather. Rain and storms look so nice, but it's getting in my way so much.

I just stood around waiting for a rain cycle to end because there's a cliff I need to get up, so I did that and ran over....only to have the cliff be literally five feet into the next weather zone, where it started pouring and blasting lightning at me :smithicide:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ugh....I'm already sick of weather. Rain and storms look so nice, but it's getting in my way so much.

I just stood around waiting for a rain cycle to end because there's a cliff I need to get up, so I did that and ran over....only to have the cliff be literally five feet into the next weather zone, where it started pouring and blasting lightning at me :smithicide:

I mostly saw this as a fence against cutting a beeline into Zora territory but yeah it can be a nuisance also the southeast

Always

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I can count the amount of times I was directly impeded from climbing something by rain on one hand. Is everyone else just making straight lines through the map climbing over literally anything in their way or what?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Amppelix posted:

I can count the amount of times I was directly impeded from climbing something by rain on one hand. Is everyone else just making straight lines through the map climbing over literally anything in their way or what?

I've been playing for three days now and I'm definitely up to five or six times where I just give up on something or stand around because of rain. And not so much I WANT TO GO IN THIS DIRECTION :arghfist: as specific quests or goals that I need to climb for or spend ten minutes wandering around hoping I find a walkable slope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
You probably already know this and will roll your eyes at me for saying it, but I'm gonna say it anyway: Remember you can build a fire in the shade and rest until the rain stops. This isn't always possible but it usually is.