Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Built the IDEAS dinosaur bones with the kid. Definitely a tough build but the little dude loves them.

But don’t fret, he got the Classic 1500 piece set and he has been loving it and building so many cool things. The bones are on display in his room proudly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I finally did it. I bought 3 27 gallon totes at Costco to start a gross sort. I have something on the order of 200-300 gallons to sort. I spent about 4 hours sorting about 4 gallons. And that's just the prelim gross sort. I'll only do a fine sort after I fill one of the totes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pyroclastic posted:

I finally did it. I bought 3 27 gallon totes at Costco to start a gross sort. I have something on the order of 200-300 gallons to sort. I spent about 4 hours sorting about 4 gallons. And that's just the prelim gross sort. I'll only do a fine sort after I fill one of the totes.

Gross...

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Totes

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Some guy did a 25,000+ piece mini-fig-scale Air Force One: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbh9BwVo5BU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I want to Macho Man elbow drop that into oblivion.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Some guy did a 25,000+ piece mini-fig-scale Air Force One: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbh9BwVo5BU

Been following him for a while as a plane person. He's also done a 787, 737, 727, and other large scale planes. Some absolute stunning work.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I want to try to complete my Thanks infinity gauntlet, I only have red orange and purple stones, I need blue green and yellow. Checking Bricklink I see listings for compete rings of 4 stones, and they are a few dollars each but the yellow stones seem to start at $10 and go up in price a lot. I think it will cost me about $20 to get everything. Is there some sort of trick to find listings of the individual stones? Does anyone here have extra stones or need extra stones, I would be willing to try to work out some way to split the cost a little.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Crotch Fruit posted:

I want to try to complete my Thanks infinity gauntlet, I only have red orange and purple stones, I need blue green and yellow. Checking Bricklink I see listings for compete rings of 4 stones, and they are a few dollars each but the yellow stones seem to start at $10 and go up in price a lot. I think it will cost me about $20 to get everything. Is there some sort of trick to find listings of the individual stones? Does anyone here have extra stones or need extra stones, I would be willing to try to work out some way to split the cost a little.

Yeah, I should have those. Send me a PM and I'll look for them today.

E: I don't have green but I'll send you blue and yellow

Cloks fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 3, 2020

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Crotch Fruit posted:

I bought the stones individually and yeah yellow was much pricier than the others for some reason.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Cloks posted:

Yeah, I should have those. Send me a PM and I'll look for them today.

E: I don't have green but I'll send you blue and yellow

PM sent, thanks! I checked ebay and saw they have off brand stones, I'm skeptical of the quality but I think I will buy a set for the missing green stone and to compare the rest of the stones.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm doing a build that's going to be an old-school pulp sci-fi style alien hovertank. I know it's gonna take me a while; so far, I'm very pleased with how the main turret weapon is looking.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Powered by crystalic fusion? Excellent choice. :science:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Put a yellow classic space minifig in there with a scared face on.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

By the way, does anyone happen to know if Mars Attacks! is streaming anywhere?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

By the way, does anyone happen to know if Mars Attacks! is streaming anywhere?

Doesn't look like it.

In other news, poo poo:

How am I supposed to get a half-dozen orange Classic Spacemen without spending $180+? There's almost no way they'll go for less than $30 on BL.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How much is the book?

You could be a repacking bastard?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Rhyno posted:

How much is the book?

You could be a repacking bastard?

It's listed on Amazon.co.uk for £30. The last Visual History of the minifigure from 2013 is listed on Amazon for $40, discounted to $21.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
A spaceman needs a visor :colbert:

For this reason, space police 2 with its darker transparent green is the superlative space theme

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Pyroclastic posted:

I need to gather all our hopelessly mixed-together boxes and bags and sort/organize it but man am I dreading it. I don't have a clue where to start.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

a mysterious cloak posted:

I need to gather all our hopelessly mixed-together boxes and bags and sort/organize it but man am I dreading it. I don't have a clue where to start.

By colour :getin:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pyroclastic posted:

It's listed on Amazon.co.uk for £30. The last Visual History of the minifigure from 2013 is listed on Amazon for $40, discounted to $21.

Buy 6 books. Donate 5 to libraries.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pyroclastic posted:

Doesn't look like it.

In other news, poo poo:

How am I supposed to get a half-dozen orange Classic Spacemen without spending $180+? There's almost no way they'll go for less than $30 on BL.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

a mysterious cloak posted:

The 3 tubs I'm sorting to are one for plates, one for bricks bricks, and one for everything else. I also got two PAB cups to filter out every 1x1 plate/decoration piece into one and technic pins into the other.
After one of the tubs fills, I'll sort into piece type into ziplocs. For the Misc tub, it might need a second subsort if I can figure out what that would involve.
I was shocked at just how many brackets there were in this 4 gallons. So much SNOT building going on in sets now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ziplocks are a short lived gateway drug. It won't be long before you're hunting for the perfect plastic bins.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I'm at that stage. My Lego is sorted into dozens of ziplock bags and, while it does the job, they tend to break so I need something more permanent. I really need to sit down and figure out how many containers and what sizes I need, then go from there.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I finally finished assembling my counterfeit Porsche GT3 Lego Lepin set. It's pretty awesome car stuff. It has a dual clutch transmission that I'm not sure how to actually actuate now that it's all assembled.

These pictures make it look small. It is not. It is huge. Those backsplash tiles behind it are 3" x 12"

I was really impressed with the quality of the kit. A few of the pieces were finicky and didn't snap in particularly well-- but I don't know the specific names of the pieces. Overall, a fun thing.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Help Im stuck watching all this guys videos, I cant stop

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That guys sounds like such a huge dork in the most adorable way.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

There is no finer quality than earnest dorkiness

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

MetaJew posted:

I finally finished assembling my counterfeit Porsche GT3 Lego Lepin set. It's pretty awesome car stuff. It has a dual clutch transmission that I'm not sure how to actually actuate now that it's all assembled.

If it's a 1:1 copy of the Lego one, you should be able to change gears with the flappy paddles behind the wheel. The original Lego one has an error in the manual, though, so it goes from first to third, to second, to fourth gear. A simple swap of two gears make it go 1-2-3-4.

It only changes gears via the paddles if it's not in neutral, though. IIRC it changes gears if it's in reverse.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Pyroclastic posted:

The 3 tubs I'm sorting to are one for plates, one for bricks bricks, and one for everything else. I also got two PAB cups to filter out every 1x1 plate/decoration piece into one and technic pins into the other.
After one of the tubs fills, I'll sort into piece type into ziplocs. For the Misc tub, it might need a second subsort if I can figure out what that would involve.
I was shocked at just how many brackets there were in this 4 gallons. So much SNOT building going on in sets now.

Does anyone else generally just keep their sets assembled? I have them on display in my office on two 7' tall bookshelves and a locker unit. I don't really do a lot of MOC, which I realize the big organization systems would support best.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I keep most of my sets assembled but I have started storing some of them because I don't want my whole place overrun with Lego. Which is proving to be futile anyways lol.

Most of my MOC parts either come from lots I bought or bricklink. Buying expensive sets just to part them out seems like a massive waste of money to me. And once a set has been disassembled and mixed in with my parts I consider it gone. I'm not rebuilding stuff from a 100 lbs of lego. Disassembled sets that I want to rebuild stay in their own separate area in labeled bags.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Walmart.com supposedly has the Statue of Liberty for $96 today.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

veni veni veni posted:

I keep most of my sets assembled but I have started storing some of them because I don't want my whole place overrun with Lego. Which is proving to be futile anyways lol.

Most of my MOC parts either come from lots I bought or bricklink. Buying expensive sets just to part them out seems like a massive waste of money to me. And once a set has been disassembled and mixed in with my parts I consider it gone. I'm not rebuilding stuff from a 100 lbs of lego. Disassembled sets that I want to rebuild stay in their own separate area in labeled bags.
Very similar for me. Back in the day, I'd buy sets for parts, but in a 1 bedroom apartment that my partner and I live in, there's just not that much space for loose bulk. My stash of spare parts is very small and typically consists of things I use frequently for MOCs that can be difficult to find, for instance, dozens of these, these, these, and these, and several sets of these in every color. Not a lot of basic bricks, plates, and tiles, because I order common elements on an as-needed basis. One medium-sized box of sorted ziploc bags continues to do well by my meager parts collection.

If I buy a set, it's to display, and I don't buy many because I only have 1 glass-covered case with 5 shelves. If I get a new model, like the Creator Expert Mustang I got for Christmas, then I sell it to make room rather than break it down into parts.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
God, sorting Lego is so tedious. On the plus side, none of my base plates from the early 1980s have turned up, but I did find one green conical tree.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've done most of my sorting during the NFL season, put a game on in the background to help the time pass and get lost in the process.

But we cable cut early last year so I haven't watched any sports so no sorting got done. :v:

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
All my stuff is sorted. It was a long and tedious job since I have over 100,000 parts, but worth it since I mainly do MOCs and it's so much easier grabbing parts that are already sorted.

I get the appeal of sets, but almost all of what I buy these days is built once then broken down into parts and sorted. There's enough people in my local LUG who just do sets that I don't feel the need to get the expensive popular sets when I could just go over to someone's house to see them.

I agree that buying sets to break down into parts can be wasteful, but as long as I'm picky with what I buy it's not too bad. Also, I have a lot of parts that have ended up in MOCs that I would never have thought to include if I didn't already have them - I like to work with what I have rather than order parts off Bricklink for every single thing.

amethystdragon
Sep 14, 2019

xzzy posted:

Ziplocks are a short lived gateway drug. It won't be long before you're hunting for the perfect plastic bins.

Why not just make bins to store LEGOs out of LEGOs?

Also LEGO Hoth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bANjQkSs0jk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

tuo posted:

If it's a 1:1 copy of the Lego one, you should be able to change gears with the flappy paddles behind the wheel. The original Lego one has an error in the manual, though, so it goes from first to third, to second, to fourth gear. A simple swap of two gears make it go 1-2-3-4.

It only changes gears via the paddles if it's not in neutral, though. IIRC it changes gears if it's in reverse.

Poor wording: the paddles are not easily accessed with the dash and stuff assembled . In addition there is some binding and I don't want to break anything trying to actuate it now that it is assembled.

I didn't know about the error in the manual. I'll have to look up the fix and compare to my manual. Unless it's an easy fix with the car assembled, though, it's not getting fixed.