Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

good news, Trump just clarified he did this to stop a war, not start a war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Frog Act posted:

can someone repost the picture of all the Mahdi army guys in their balaclavas around a big desk

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

they could chaos by running for sheriff everywhere in america and winning in landslides with fashion like that

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpIPICTvIec

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/allahliker/status/1213160710961860613?s=20

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Sadr_City

a militia that fought the US to a standstill is getting reactivated

Who writes these glowing wikipedia articles?! To read it you would think the 1st Cav won some kind of resounding victory as well as the hearts and minds of all the people of Baghdad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Frosted Flake posted:

Who writes these glowing wikipedia articles?! To read it you would think the 1st Cav won some kind of resounding victory as well as the hearts and minds of all the people of Baghdad.

wiki articles are by design are going to be written by fanboys

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Oh wow you predicted something bad would happen in the post-2016 world, super impressive!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

lmao at the ending line

quote:

By May 21, 2008, Iraqi Army Units had secured or captured all of Sadr City, receiving little resistance as the 10,000 man force backed by tanks rolled past barricades and into the center of the city. However, Mahdi Army fighters remained in Sadr City, blended in the civilian population, with their weapons.

So pretty much the US conventional force accomplished zero strategic objectives through this "victory"

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

I’m case you were wondering, all of the gyromancers you know are texting each other about what’s happening with Iran right now because we felt something approaching for many days now and this is (in fact) very, very bad.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

inshallah

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...v-idUSKBN1Z21YQ

Zarif saying that they will use "legal" measures to punish the US lmao. If this is the first statement from the Foreign Minister I think Iran really is in a pickle with how to respond.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

*missiles start flying*

semantics matter! and furthermore,

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Raccooon posted:

So the US also killed a bunch of Iraqi military officials?

We killed the leader of one of their largest and most effective militias, who was also a formal member of government. The Iraqi government was already falling apart- I can't imagine how they avoid civil war.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

We killed the leader of one of their largest and most effective militias, who was also a formal member of government. The Iraqi government was already falling apart- I can't imagine how they avoid civil war.

Yeah plus the Iraq government tried to absorb and control the PUM better by giving it privileges such as regular pay / recognition of rank in the Iraqi regular military.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Witches brknew

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

https://twitter.com/CivilWarMap/status/1213120859185004547

fuckin lmao. until yesterday al-sadr was about as much anti-Iran as he was anti-American

de-escalation, it's working y'all
jaish al mahdi aka JAM which means moqtada is the new jam man

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

well that explains it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

jaish al mahdi aka JAM which means moqtada is the new jam man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=matYNbUHANw

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

resolving twitter beef with tactical drone strikes is the cyberpunk future we deserve.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cue another dozen awful "bombing feeds the trolls" posts, you know you want to goons

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Trumping doing a lowtax, just drone bombing whoever his chat tells him to

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I'll always come down on the pro Shia side of the great Islamic religious debate, simply because their music is much better. I'm not down with the no musical instruments thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ5ax8im3Ow

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

cue another dozen awful "bombing feeds the trolls" posts, you know you want to goons

ok

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
bombing feeds the trolls IMO

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

I'll always come down on the pro Shia side of the great Islamic religious debate, simply because their music is much better. I'm not down with the no musical instruments thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ5ax8im3Ow

Also Ali was clearly meant to be Muhammad's successor. I don't gently caress with the twelver poo poo though.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

freckle posted:

bombing feeds the trolls IMO

:hfive:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If you're not Twelver
Then you're One
Big Loser

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sinteres posted:

Israel seems to do a pretty good job of dealing with Syria's air defenses despite the deployment of the S-300 there, though there are mixed reports on whether or not Syria's actually turned them on. If they haven't, that raises questions on its own though.

As far as I remember the Russians kept the keys for most of the conflict.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
twelver poo poo is cool, reminds me of Mormonism

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

genericnick posted:

As far as I remember the Russians kept the keys for most of the conflict.

They also shot down that F-16 without them, which everyone conveniently forgets.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sinteres posted:

Also Ali was clearly meant to be Muhammad's successor. I don't gently caress with the twelver poo poo though.

if Ali was meant to be the successor why did allah give Muawiyah the strength he needed to win

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
oh my dear sweet non-existent god all american media is utterly unwatchable right now.

i mean like; even more than usual

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

oh my dear sweet non-existent god all american media is utterly unwatchable right now.

when the bombs go flying they turn into rabid dogs

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Sinteres posted:

Doesn’t matter, what matters is what the council decided, and that was Abu Bakr.

If Allah wanted the caliphate to be inheritable he’d give the prophet (pbuh) a son.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Willie Tomg posted:

all the Iraq War ghouls are crawling out the woodwork for one last big suck 'n gently caress

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1213209701321719811?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

hell yeah