Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

Pyrex is made from cheap tempered glass and isn't particularly temperature shock resistant

One night a few years ago I was cooking dinner and had put a Pyrex pan with cornbread in the oven to cook. A few minutes later I put some water on to boil, planning to make mashed potatoes. I then realized we didn't have any potatoes so I dumped the water out but forgot to turn off the burner. When the cornbread was finished, I took it out of the oven and proceeded to put it directly on the still-on burner which I had forgotten about. It survived about 90 seconds before exploding with the loudest bang I think I've ever heard from inside my house. loving glass everywhere, dogs scared out of their minds. It was horrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Jenny Agutter posted:

Pyrex is made from cheap tempered glass and isn't particularly temperature shock resistant

A real Pyrex dish aka made from borosilicate.
Visions brand cooking ware using glass-ceramics are even better.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

One night a few years ago I was cooking dinner and had put a Pyrex pan with cornbread in the oven to cook. A few minutes later I put some water on to boil, planning to make mashed potatoes. I then realized we didn't have any potatoes so I dumped the water out but forgot to turn off the burner. When the cornbread was finished, I took it out of the oven and proceeded to put it directly on the still-on burner which I had forgotten about. It survived about 90 seconds before exploding with the loudest bang I think I've ever heard from inside my house. loving glass everywhere, dogs scared out of their minds. It was horrific.

No offense but you sound like a v bad cook.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Lurking Haro posted:

A real Pyrex dish aka made from borosilicate.

"real" Pyrex hasn't been borosilicate for 20+ years so unless that bowl is older than the person waving a torch around it there's definitely a danger of glass explosion. Or is Pyrex a genericized term now?

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Cojawfee posted:

You'd think he would have stopped doing stupid poo poo after the ATF or whoever investigated his shed after he was making explosives and posting it to youtube.

I think it was worse than that, I believe he had a chunk of Uranium that got confiscated.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Burt Sexual posted:

lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can still get borosilicate cookware, there's just almost no correlation between that and the Pyrex brand any more.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Lurking Haro posted:

I love my visions brand stuff, calexium is a really neat material and I wish they still made the full line.

E: and yeah, once Corning sold the Pyrex brand it was slapped on a bunch of soda-lime glass cookware that has nothing to do with the original pyrex product line.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Jenny Agutter posted:

"real" Pyrex hasn't been borosilicate for 20+ years so unless that bowl is older than the person waving a torch around it there's definitely a danger of glass explosion. Or is Pyrex a genericized term now?

It's still borosilicate in Europe and lab glassware everywhere. If it isn't made by Corelle, it's the real stuff.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
easy way to tell - good Pyrex is uppercase, lovely new soda-lime stuff is lowercase.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Isn’t glass stovetop cookware bad at conducting heat? I’ve never used the stuff

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

You'd think he would have stopped doing stupid poo poo after the ATF or whoever investigated his shed after he was making explosives and posting it to youtube.

i felt bad when i watched this video, because he's obviously endangering himself in order to make himself and youtube money. Obviously there are difficulties applying OSHA regulations to this kind of self produced content but when people are seriously hurting themselves chasing youtube fame it's a real problem.

Another video that i think illustrates these problems is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hktmsFspif0

Worse to me than the idiot FPSRussia guy nearly killing himself, he also repeatedly endangered the life of his camera man, even demanding he continue filming after being injured as a result of an explosion. It's probably a good think this guy had all his guns confiscated by ATF

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Jenny Agutter posted:

It's not great honestly and schad on anyone who uses it to try to do high heat cooking but the aesthetic can't be beat.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Burt Sexual posted:

Well I do most of the cooking in our house and I'm a great big fat gently caress so whatever.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Not OSHA, but slow-moving avalanches don't gently caress around

https://twitter.com/W_Nelson/status/1213219402251829248?s=19

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Propaganda Hour posted:

This is just a reminder that the good ski slopes are also avalanche terrain. Even a small loose wet avalanche can crush you and suffocate you. This is a very large one.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Those elephant toothpaste viral videos are getting out of hand.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Jenny Agutter posted:

There isn't glass stovetop cookware, that stuff is for baking.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

BMan posted:

There isn't glass stovetop cookware, that stuff is for baking.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I stand corrected. Also, wtf

I guess there are also knife-ruining glass cutting boards so I shouldn't be surprised...

BMan fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 3, 2020

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I mean, it is Kennewick, where there’s always a risk of radiation exposure if someone does something wrong...

Funny part is, the last person in the region to die of radiation was someone getting hosed up by a THERAC machine at a clinic.

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
My mom had a set of stovetop Pyrex cookware. It's not very good for heat transfer but you can easily go from stovetop to oven at least. I think she got it from some Avon catalogue or painted pampered chef or something.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

How much damage would this do to a car in park? Or parked mode. Whatever you call the "P" on an automatic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKQ_MRusuYs

ah yes, microwaved steaks, a good selling point.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

BMan posted:

I stand corrected. Also, wtf

I guess there are also knife-ruining glass cutting boards so I shouldn't be surprised...

Yeah I have no idea how good it is, or why you’d use it, but I remember pots in that same color glass.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

thomawesome posted:

My mom had a set of stovetop Pyrex cookware. It's not very good for heat transfer but you can easily go from stovetop to oven at least. I think she got it from some Avon catalogue or painted pampered chef or something.

Cast iron is a thing that does all of these things much better

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Cast iron is just loving great all-around unless you're too old to lift it.

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
Cast iron really does rule. The only OSHA violations I could see is dropping it on your foot or grabbing a handle when it's screaming hot.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've got a couple of those silicon pot handle condoms that make handling them a lot easier. Still quite heavy, but worth it if you can handle it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Big Dick Cheney posted:

How much damage would this do to a car in park? Or parked mode. Whatever you call the "P" on an automatic.

Do you mean to the car in general, or to like the brakes specifically, because a force is pushing against wheels that are locked in "park"?

It's probably not a simple question because there are a lot of factors and it would vary from car type to car type, how dry and grippy the road is (this one seems pretty icy), how worn the brakes are.

The answer is probably somewhere between "enough" and "plenty". Assuming your car was just being pushed along by a small mountain of snow and didn't hit anything else and was just stopped when the avalanche ran out of energy, probably some dents and dings, possibly some tire damage and brakes will probably need a looksie. If you are like one of the unfortunate fucks that got buried and pushed along the path, probably totaled.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Agrinja posted:

I got an amazing cast iron pan for christmas that I realized (too late) I can't use on my glass-top stove. :sigh: At least I can make pan pizzas.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I got an amazing cast iron pan for christmas that I realized (too late) I can't use on my glass-top stove. :sigh: At least I can make pan pizzas.

Why not? I use my le creuset pans and pots on a glass stove top all the time. Unless you mean it's induction?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Agrinja posted:

It's also pretty bad in the microwave, I think.

OptimusRhyme
Jan 12, 2006
Autobots crafting only the finest limericks.

CzarChasm posted:

Do you mean to the car in general, or to like the brakes specifically, because a force is pushing against wheels that are locked in "park"?

It's probably not a simple question because there are a lot of factors and it would vary from car type to car type, how dry and grippy the road is (this one seems pretty icy), how worn the brakes are.

The answer is probably somewhere between "enough" and "plenty". Assuming your car was just being pushed along by a small mountain of snow and didn't hit anything else and was just stopped when the avalanche ran out of energy, probably some dents and dings, possibly some tire damage and brakes will probably need a looksie. If you are like one of the unfortunate fucks that got buried and pushed along the path, probably totaled.

I think they're asking about transmission damage from the car being pushed while in park. The damage would be to the parking pawl inside the transmission in that case, but I doubt the tires would hold friction on any pavement, dry or not, enough to overcome the metal strength of the pawl without some sort of acute push (like a fast avalanche's initial hit).

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

What on earth, why not? I've seen them used before on ceramic-tops without issue. Even induction should be fine, as iron is plenty ferrous last I checked!

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
I've used cast iron on glass top and induction totally fine. Just don't slam the pans on the stovetop

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

There’s sound

https://twitter.com/vit0genovese/status/1212732398691069953?s=21

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Serephina posted:

What on earth, why not? I've seen them used before on ceramic-tops without issue. Even induction should be fine, as iron is plenty ferrous last I checked!

Aramoro posted:

Why not? I use my le creuset pans and pots on a glass stove top all the time. Unless you mean it's induction?

It isn't enameled--I anxiously assumed that it would scratch the poo poo out of the stovetop if I accidentally nudged it or didn't lift it absolutely vertical. I guess maybe I was just being overly paranoid!

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Working in security, I would get calls a few times a year from people who were obsessed with the idea booby trapping their homes and yards. And they'd want to know what manufacturers offered products for this. It was always a bit of a problem because people doing poo poo like that pose a danger to fire departments, EMS, along with delivery people and mail people. Generally I'd try to talk them out of it but I would always pass on their info to fire departments and law enforcement. I really didn't like the idea of mixing law enforcement and people with mental illness but it was the best solution I could find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

It isn't enameled--I anxiously assumed that it would scratch the poo poo out of the stovetop if I accidentally nudged it or didn't lift it absolutely vertical. I guess maybe I was just being overly paranoid!

Granted all mine are enamelled but glass stovetops are pretty tough. Even if it does abrade the surface a little it won't be that bad surely.