Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

That's her yep. Spent the last several years doing little but whinge about the leadership and the party for self promotion. Fan of jacob rees mogg.

Guavanaut posted:

It was never proven to be a lie, but that's likely only because Diane gets so much abuse from stupid lovely pricks that she doesn't memorize every time some edgy chancer does it.

Still, imagine trying to score cool points with that anecdote.

EDIT: 13, a baker's dozen.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesky Splinter posted:

"As a working class who grew up on council pop, I find it shameful that members of my own party voted against the Tory 'Kill the Poor Act 2020'. It's bad that the Tories do want to kill the poors, but as I discussed in conversation with my BFF Jacko Moggs, we really should know our place as social inferiors. Also Babs."
Also we need to start talking about nonces what touch kids *entire Tory benches cough nervously* and plot together in their mosks and kebab shops and whatnot *posh cheering noises*

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
https://twitter.com/billoislove/status/1213177323131953153

lol looks like being a piece of poo poo wrecker does not, in fact, stop the right from smearing you anyways

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Noswaith dda goons. Does anyone have any advice on joining a Union? It's one of the things I should have done a while ago but decided for it to be one of my new years resolutions. I'm in Cardiff but does anyone have any recommendations? I'm a bit green on the area - I know what a union is but not the actual workings of joining. Unite is about 10 minutes from my current work place (being made redundant in April was my Christmas present from them) so might work as a starting point.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 3, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RottenK posted:

lol looks like being a piece of poo poo wrecker does not, in fact, stop the right from smearing you anyways

Ayup.

https://twitter.com/solhugheswriter/status/1213043859510505473?s=21

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Bardeh posted:

Talking about the BBC and linguistics made me remember the BBC Pidgin service they started a couple of years ago.

https://twitter.com/bbcnewspidgin/status/1212756136006504448

I tore a rubber with a trans superhero once.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Flipswitch posted:

Noswaith dda goons. Does anyone have any advice on joining a Union? It's one of the things I should have done a while ago but decided for it to be one of my new years resolutions. I'm in Cardiff but does anyone have any recommendations? I'm a bit green on the area - I know what a union is but not the actual workings of joining. Unite is about 10 minutes from my current work place (being made redundant in April was my Christmas present from them) so might work as a starting point.

What is your work (be as broad or as specific as you feel comfortable with) - that will by and large define what unions you are eligible to join.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

I tore a rubber with a trans superhero once.

https://twitter.com/bbcnewspidgin/status/1212716813844439042

I feel like I take an economist a lot more seriously when he starts out with "don't spend all your money starting a cocaine selling business because despite it being lucrative, you might go to prison"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm not but I'm old enough and fat enough to be safe so bring back National Service immediately!

Same. Though when I did move to America in 2002, at age 24, having to register for the draft was...sobering.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

Also we need to start talking about nonces what touch kids *entire Tory benches cough nervously* and plot together in their mosks and kebab shops and whatnot *posh cheering noises*

gently caress me it's gonna be grim if she gets even close. Although I suspect this is just to boost her profile, without any real expectations of actually winning.

Starmer would be bad in the usual bland centrist management way - he's not very inspiring, very suspect actions he's supported in the past, and couldn't really be trusted to not try to lurch things back a decade or so.

Jessflaps would be worse; she's entirely self-serving at best, and a wrecker/Tory-enabler at worst.

RottenK posted:

Ha!

They've spent the entirety of Corbyn's leadership aiding and abetting the press with this sort of poo poo...and they're loving suprised the press turned on them the second Corbyn seemed diminished as a threat.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

It was never proven to be a lie, but that's likely only because Diane gets so much abuse from stupid lovely pricks that she doesn't memorize every time some edgy chancer does it.

it does prove that Jess Phillips thinks joining in with that abuse is ok and she did it to win political clout

good leadership material!!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

What is your work (be as broad or as specific as you feel comfortable with) - that will by and large define what unions you are eligible to join.
I work in the charity sector at the moment. But likely to be leaving here rather than applying internally for another role. Thanks for the reply, I'm a bit unsure how it all works.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 3, 2020

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Shocking revelations about Phillips, from a colleague of the missing hard-hitting journalist, Wurrance Telephene.
https://twitter.com/CecilCentigrade/status/1208812569009541121

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Flipswitch posted:

I work in the charity sector at the moment. But likely to be leaving here rather than applying internally for another role. Thanks for the reply, I'm a bit unsure how it all works.

A couple of the unions - eg Unite - have a 'community' section for unemployed, retired, a student or a carer and so on to join regardless of your previous occupation.

Here's a link to the Unite one. (I'm in this one. I'm also in professional STEM work-related bodies, but also wanted to be in a union).

https://unitetheunion.org/why-join/membership-types/community-membership/

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

The charity sector has really poor union penetration unfortunately. You can probably join Unite or Unison but I wouldn't be at all surprised if you wouldn't have a direct rep or steward, because as I say, unions don't really have a lot of presence in the charity sector.

It was something that really put me off when I worked there for a while, and, coincidentally enough, really exploitative working practices are loving RIFE In the charity sector, not least because it relies on the good-nature of the people working in it not to challenge them.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/RealNatalieRowe/status/1213119730829217806

Twitter guessing it's Bernie Ecclestone but I've got my own theory which I sure as hell am not going to share until she names him, because he's got a shitload of lawyers.

She spells cum, as come.
Minus 50 DKP. For each use.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

She spells cum, as come.
:cumpolice:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

(Puts on Judge Dredd helmet and leather speedos.)

I AM THE RAW!
IF YOU DON'T COMPLY, YOU WILL BE SENT TO THE ISO-CUBES.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

She spells cum, as come.

Perfectly cromulent British English - "come" as the verb for an orgasm and "cum" as the noun for the ejaculate.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

(Puts on Judge Dredd helmet and leather speedos.)

I AM THE RAW!
IF YOU DON'T COMPLY, YOU WILL BE SENT TO THE ISO-CUBES.

Ooh, I have to pay for this normally.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Meh, I want to like Jess Phillips but I just... can't. Her attitude is kinda promising, why does she have to be completely terrible

feedmegin posted:

Same. Though when I did move to America in 2002, at age 24, having to register for the draft was...sobering.

Wait, what. The draft... in 2002? In the US? Or in the UK? What the gently caress?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

Shocking revelations about Phillips, from a colleague of the missing hard-hitting journalist, Wurrance Telephene.
https://twitter.com/CecilCentigrade/status/1208812569009541121
Jessflaps: Cock destroyer.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

jaete posted:

Wait, what. The draft... in 2002? In the US? Or in the UK? What the gently caress?

It's the whole selective service thing they have going on, right? You won't be drafted unless they institute a formal draft, but they make you eligible to be drafted anyway.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Mike_Pence/status/1213189757708189699

I'm pleased to no longer have to actually tell stories about what the leadup to the Iraq War felt like to people too young to remember it at the time (who are now somehow old enough to vote, how the gently caress did that happen?) because the Americans are literally doing a search-and-replace on everything they said in 2002.

e: Stolen from my family Whatsapp - "Once as tragedy twice as farce but somehow we're still involved in the loving tragedy"

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 4, 2020

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

https://twitter.com/bobby19_/status/1213218439034261505?s=21

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

jaete posted:

Meh, I want to like Jess Phillips but I just... can't. Her attitude is kinda promising, why does she have to be completely terrible

Her idea of speaking truth to power includes posing with Rees Mogg for an Observer special article about how these dangerous ideologues are dividing us, your lizard brain is protecting you.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

As I was away and off news for a few days, and as the US have started changing the story about what happened in Iraq to bring about the assassination of QS, it's getting harder to discover what really happened.

From glances at the news a couple of days ago, I kinda had the notion that some Iranians held a protest outside the US Embassy in Baghdad but now it's being briefed out as an 'attack' 'justifying' the assassination. Is my memory correct or was it an 'attack' from the start?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As I was away and off news for a few days, and as the US have started changing the story about what happened in Iraq to bring about the assassination of QS, it's getting harder to discover what really happened.

From glances at the news a couple of days ago, I kinda had the notion that some Iranians held a protest outside the US Embassy in Baghdad but now it's being briefed out as an 'attack' 'justifying' the assassination. Is my memory correct or was it an 'attack' from the start?

My (admittedly muddy) understanding is that Iraqi citizens (who were either involved with or supported by Iranian militias) were protesting outside the US embassy in Baghdad. About what, I'm not certain, I wasn't paying attention early enough to catch that.

It was definitely reported as a protest at first though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/Mike_Pence/status/1213189757708189699

I'm pleased to no longer have to actually tell stories about what the leadup to the Iraq War felt like to people too young to remember it at the time (who are now somehow old enough to vote, how the gently caress did that happen?) because the Americans are literally doing a search-and-replace on everything they said in 2002.

e: Stolen from my family Whatsapp - "Once as tragedy twice as farce but somehow we're still involved in the loving tragedy"

Once is tragedy, twice is *checks notes* nope, it says here 'still tragedy, because hundreds of thousads or millions of people will still loving die'.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Okay I'm finding myself down an interesting rabbit hole here. Check out https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Go%20Jess%22&src=trend_click and scroll down until you see a generic username and/or a Union Jack avi - there's an awful lot of "people" who are enthusiastically pro-Jessflaps who until December 12th were rabidly pro-Brexit and pro-Tory. Obviously bots get used in politics a lot but this is particularly naked, and really makes you wonder exactly who's doing her campaign management and what numbers they have in their contact books...

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

jaete posted:

Pretty sure in the UK all those of voting age and above are eligible to be drafted in to national service, one of the reasons why I'm not keen on lowering the voting age.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Okay I'm finding myself down an interesting rabbit hole here. Check out https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Go%20Jess%22&src=trend_click and scroll down until you see a generic username and/or a Union Jack avi - there's an awful lot of "people" who are enthusiastically pro-Jessflaps who until December 12th were rabidly pro-Brexit and pro-Tory. Obviously bots get used in politics a lot but this is particularly naked, and really makes you wonder exactly who's doing her campaign management and what numbers they have in their contact books...

Thank god I have two votes - 1 as a member and 1 as a union affiliate :boom:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Pretty sure in the UK all those of voting age and above are eligible to be drafted in to national service, one of the reasons why I'm not keen on lowering the voting age.

Voting age has nothing to do with it, there's no particular reason why they couldn't conscript 16-year-olds (or 6-year-olds or 66-year-olds) into the Forces if they decided to. Conscription age was 18 in the two wars we used it in even though the voting age was 21 (and in WWI many even of age still didn't get a vote). There's no formal framework for conscription, they just pass a law saying "Oi you grab a gun and go shoot people".

Currently you can join the Forces at 16 (with parental permission) but can't be sent into active duty until 18 (although they blur the lines on that sometimes, several of my mates from school ended up in Kuwait for the Gulf War because they were due to turn 18 during the deployment, although as it turned out they got there too late for the party). If they were to restart conscription it's likely they'd stick to that formula - but as I said earlier we're not getting National Service 2.0 at any point in the foreseeable future, especially given we struggle to keep even our current lot supplied.

e: You've probably got it confused with the US where they send you your Selective Service forms along with your first voter registration in some states.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Thanks for the info regarding age of conscription in regards to voting, I know a lad who had to sit in Minhad on our way to Bastion for three days which I found slightly amusing as he celebrated his birthday there.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Not so much the 'roaring twenties' as the 'continuous wail of existential anguish twenties.'

The endless screaming twenties.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
All this national service talk makes me very glad that I am pretty unfit and my primary hobbies involve a lot of sitting down :v:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Facehammer posted:

The endless screaming twenties.

the warring twenties

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I hope the army conscripts me, I'm worth -3 soldiers

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm also looking to join up, I'm in software testing.

How long a commitment is union membership, I know there is a games industry union now and would be looking to join that if I ever go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jaete posted:

To register for it in case the US decided to institute one. It's a condition of getting a green card. Which given this was around when the US invaded Iraq and given I was of age was alarming but doesn't actually mean they sent me over there with an M16.