Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I've just been using the GOG Galaxy beta to play the 2-3 games I'm playing at the moment instead of dealing with Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

FirstAidKite posted:

I wish the new steam client wasn't so slow. I don't know if it is just because I own a lot of games or if it is the client itself being poorly optimized or what but it can take upwards of a minute for the client to update and let me interact with it and search/scroll/etc. It wasn't a problem with the old version :(
When I hard-close the Steam client and start it back up again, the entire thing takes 15 seconds to go from double-clicking the icon to displaying the library. I think you might benefit from reinstalling the client or checking the performance options in the settings. This isn't supposed to be taking that long.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

D1E posted:

I have a free STEAM Key for Dirt Rally 2.0. First person to quote this post will receive the key via PM.

Thanks!

Thanks, if it's still available!

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Gromit posted:

Thanks, if it's still available!

Just PM'd you. Thanks!

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I have a free STEAM Key for Middle Earth: Shadow of War. First person to quote this post will receive the key via PM.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

D1E posted:

I have a free STEAM Key for Middle Earth: Shadow of War. First person to quote this post will receive the key via PM.

Do I win?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Steam Thread 2019 Supremacy

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Yes! Just PM'd you - thanks!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

D1E posted:

Just PM'd you. Thanks!

Got it, and the DLC. Fantastic, thanks!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Hwurmp posted:

Steam Thread 2019 Supremacy

new thread, same games

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Leal posted:

Hello steam thread, can you recommend me a game with the best anime titties?

Code Vein

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

FirstAidKite posted:

I wish the new steam client wasn't so slow. I don't know if it is just because I own a lot of games or if it is the client itself being poorly optimized or what but it can take upwards of a minute for the client to update and let me interact with it and search/scroll/etc. It wasn't a problem with the old version :(

Try throwing some of these in your Steam shortcut "-noverifyfiles -nobootstrapupdate -skipinitialbootstrap -norepairfiles -overridepackageurl -silent -no-browser"

So it ends up looking like this and see if that speeds things up, -no-browser will disable some chromium stuff, but for me it's no loss, I use the client to launch games in small mode and that's it.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -noverifyfiles -nobootstrapupdate -skipinitialbootstrap -norepairfiles -overridepackageurl -silent -no-browser

Also make a Steam.cfg and put in there.

BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable
BootStrapperForceSelfUpdate=disable

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
If someone has a spare copy of Two Point Hospital they want to trade for Battletech, let me know.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Gonna try uninstalling and reinstalling steam first. Gonna take a while though since it is deleting all the files and I had a lot of games installed.

e: Yay, it worked! No clue what was going on then that was causing the massive permanent lag/slowdown.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 4, 2020

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Today I learned that if you buy a bundle of games you can't return just one or two, it's all or nothing. I'm only out like $6 so I'm hardly upset, but I did expect to be able to return just the ones I immediately disliked.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Was it a bundle with a group discount? Or you just bought a bunch of games in the same transaction?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Bundles have to go back in full, grouped purchases can go back piecemeal.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I learned that back when I mass-removed a bunch of games from my account, shortly after Valve introduced the feature. Had to rebuy a few favorites, fortunately cheap, but it was worth it to be free of the clutter.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

I learned that back when I mass-removed a bunch of games from my account, shortly after Valve introduced the feature. Had to rebuy a few favorites, fortunately cheap, but it was worth it to be free of the clutter.

There's a warning now if you're removing something that belongs to a group.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I was warned back then, too, but went through with it anyway. I just waited until there was a sale so I could buy back what I wanted at a reasonable price.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
New thread, and already 5 pages in - what the poo poo guys.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hey thread, I got waylaid by relatives over Christmas and made up for it by buying way the hell too many games. I'm sorting through them on stream tonight, so if you want a wild cross-section of indies I got you right here: https://www.twitch.tv/goldplatedgames

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'll have to do some more removing of games I'll never play at some point, but i've still managed to keep my steamcompletionist at 75% beaten/completed through all of 2019, so unless it plunges I'm fine

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

odiv posted:

Was it a bundle with a group discount? Or you just bought a bunch of games in the same transaction?
It was a bundle with a group discount, specifically the comfy couch co-op bundle, for use with remote play together with exactly one person.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes: Great game, but requires complete focus and neither of us knows Morse code.
Overcooked: I liked it but they completely bounced off of it, so I would have probably returned it.
BattleBlock Theater: Other party had intolerable audio issues. We spent 15 minutes trying to troubleshoot it without success, so I would have definitely returned this one.
Lovers In a Dangerous Spacetime: They liked it but couldn't stand the imprecision of the keyboard controls, so we'll come back to it once they buy a controller (which they intended to do for other games anyway).
Moonhunters: It's a pretty easy game, so great for playing before bed and we can talk while playing. It doesn't have much staying power and I think we'll be done with it in under eight hours.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Rare Steam achievements having a glowing aura around them makes me feel special.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes: Great game, but requires complete focus and neither of us knows Morse code.
I've owned Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes for two years and it remains unplayed because for some reason nobody I know wants to play it.

Might just chuck it for my health if it hits year three.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

I've owned Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes for two years and it remains unplayed because for some reason nobody I know wants to play it.

Might just chuck it for my health if it hits year three.

I too played with my SO and she had fun but said it was too stressful.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Anyone who wants SOW, SFV, or graveyard keeper, PM me and I’ll get it out to you tonight or tomorrow.

E:all claimed.
Big thanks to Ugly In The Morning for SF5!

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Is there any way to get the library looking like it used to, where it's just a grid of games with the art for them, or are we now stuck with that side bar and the other weird clutter? Know I'm late to this but couldn't see any options when looking around and it's pretty messy since they updated it.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Psycho Society posted:

I too played with my SO and she had fun but said it was too stressful.
That's how I feel. Sometimes that's fine but it depends on the person and the situation. For me it hit enough draining checkboxes (strict time limits, dealing with people who might not deal well with stress socially, mind-bending puzzles) that I'd just rather put that energy into something else. I am glad I got to try it a few times though (there's a Jackbox one that's kinda similar, Bomb Corp, if one wants to try something similar and have other games as a fallback).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm playing Risk of Rain 2 and there's a ton of items everywhere, but you don't seem to be able to tell what they do until you pick them up. Am I missing something? Am I supposed to memorize what all of these items do? It's exacerbated in multiplayer where I have to keep asking people what items do, for instance at a 3D printer.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Gobbeldygook posted:

For Morse code, I recommend using a decoding tree like this one. When you hear a dot move left and down, and dashes move you to the right. So dot dash dash dash is J, dash dot dash is K, for example. Much quicker to decode if you don't actually know it by heart (and pretty much no-one does, statistically).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just finished Eliza and it's a very powerful, thoughtfully written VN. Definitely gave me a lot to meditate on in our current times.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Gromit posted:

For Morse code, I recommend using a decoding tree like this one. When you hear a dot move left and down, and dashes move you to the right. So dot dash dash dash is J, dash dot dash is K, for example. Much quicker to decode if you don't actually know it by heart (and pretty much no-one does, statistically).

How do you distinguish between, say, EE and I?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

ultrafilter posted:

Morse standards place a dash-length pause between letters, and a dot-length pause between components of letters.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

There’s a longer pause between letters, about as long as a dash. EE is be “dot-pause-dot” and I is “dot-dot”.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gromit posted:

An intrepid player would find they can rewrite the defusal manual entirely in a way people can read it. Most of the schtick is its intentionally obtuse.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Jamfrost posted:

Rare Steam achievements having a glowing aura around them makes me feel special.

Right? Plus, a lot of the time they're for simple stuff like finishing a late-game area, which makes me feel even special-er because I'm apparently the rare Steam user who actually finishes the games he plays.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Speaking of achievements, I'm a huge dork and have waited 5 years to get the "Go Outside" achievement in The Stanley Parable.
I finally got it today :)

I know I could just have changed the system clock

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Oh!