Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

I mean, I can buy that Disney wanted no controversy and lots of OT fan service, it's just that I also think that's pretty obviously the reason they tapped JJ for TFA and TRoS.

Also, of course the VFX crew would be instructed what shade of blue to make force ghosts. That's what color they are.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

more movies need extended high speed racing scenes, its such a cinematic thing

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

2house2fly posted:

I vaguely remember Christopher Lee talking about acting opposite CGI monsters in episode 2 and what I remember of the tone was that he seemed to enjoy the challenge, as opposed to Ewan McGregor who literally called it a "nightmare"

Lee also liked the shot of the Peter Cushing impersonator at the end of 3 and thought he was a special effect. Too bad he never lived to see Rogue One.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That Reddit thing seems fake. I can’t imagine a director being shocked that a movie was edited post filming.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Zas posted:

it got me watching phantom menace again and man, everything looks so squaresoft. thats why i love the prequels, they look like jrpgs, wheras the sequels look like fail western aaa games

This is the best take

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
ST needed eurojank

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Lee also liked the shot of the Peter Cushing impersonator at the end of 3 and thought he was a special effect. Too bad he never lived to see Rogue One.

Wayne Pygram (Scorpius from Farscape!) played him for that shot. He's like the exact age now that it'd be great to see him play Tarkin outright if they ever do anything set a little before the OT. I was surprised they didn't consider him for Rogue One honestly.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
Wayne Pygram looks nothing like Peter Cushing and the makeup he worn for Episode III reminds me of Nixon in Watchmen - it's a horrible cartoony caricature. No wonder they only shown him in one shot from a distance in Episode III.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just to refresh peoples minds:

:lol: loving so bad.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The Cushing makeup looks perfectly good from a distance, which is the way it was actually intended to be seen.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

euphronius posted:

That Reddit thing seems fake. I can’t imagine a director being shocked that a movie was edited post filming.

I imagine it’s half real but half of it is BS to shove blame away from Bad Robot onto Disney. It really feels like a hit piece.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Captain Jesus posted:

Wayne Pygram looks nothing like Peter Cushing and the makeup he worn for Episode III reminds me of Nixon in Watchmen - it's a horrible cartoony caricature. No wonder they only shown him in one shot from a distance in Episode III.

I'm actually not concerned with like a 1:1 facial or voice match because that never quite works out whether they're going for an actor with makeup or with CG or not. I'm just going by that how he played the character in live action (even just for a few seconds) briefly and from his role in Farscape we know he plays a great ruthless rear end in a top hat and can sound arrogant as gently caress all the time which is what I associate most with Tarkin. Someone who can look sort of close but nail the same "voice" and performance. Cosmetically, the closest I think a movie ever came is when the replicant of Rachael pops up briefly in Blade Runner 2049 and that took an insane amount of effort and a combination of various methods coming together all at once to get to that point.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 3, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I imagine it’s half real but half of it is BS to shove blame away from Bad Robot onto Disney. It really feels like a hit piece.

I guess that’s fair. Purposely at least a bit dishonest.

Although at this point the movie will make tons of money I don’t see the need to run from it.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Cosmetically, the closest I think a movie ever came is when the replicant of Rachael pops up briefly in Blade Runner 2049 and that took an insane amount of effort and a combination of various methods coming together all at once to get to that point.

I remember being wowed by this especially so soon after R1

And that reminds me, I hope that Dune movie happens

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ingmar terdman posted:

I remember being wowed by this especially so soon after R1

And that reminds me, I hope that Dune movie happens

it also works way better in that movie since the CG person is SUPPOSED to be a loving robot

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

What really hurt Rogue One Tarkin for me weirdly was the uniform. In motion like some parts of it just looked extremely plasticy to me and that killed the whole thing. The lighting on the face was pretty good and it was a good effort overall.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I wonder how people who didn’t know Tarkin was a bot reacted.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Neo Rasa posted:

What really hurt Rogue One Tarkin for me weirdly was the uniform. In motion like some parts of it just looked extremely plasticy to me and that killed the whole thing. The lighting on the face was pretty good and it was a good effort overall.
They choked on their ambitions.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

They choked on their aspirations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
They aspired to choke

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Neo Rasa posted:

Tarkin looked like a Glukkon from Oddworld in Rogue One.

The technology just Isn't loving There yet to make CGI humans look good next to regular humans, and might never be

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 3, 2020

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
the phantom menace is the only good star wars movie made since 1980

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Now that the revolutionary vanguard has pushed liking phantom menace into the mainstream, it is time to begin the purge of the attack of the clones dislikers. The struggle never ends

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Jawas surely have metal detectors right? Those sabers are getting stripped for parts immediately lmao

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Froghammer posted:

Tarkin looked like a Glukkon from Oddworld in Rogue One.

The technology just Isn't loving There yet to make CGI humans look good next to regular humans, and might never be

It doesn't matter how good it looks, I don't like CG recreations puppeting the face of a dead actor in the name of making a ref for nerds!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

No Mods No Masters posted:

Now that the revolutionary vanguard has pushed liking phantom menace into the mainstream, it is time to begin the purge of the attack of the clones dislikers. The struggle never ends

That's like 2 threads 5 years ago dawg

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Ingmar terdman posted:

Jawas surely have metal detectors right? Those sabers are getting stripped for parts immediately lmao

i wanna see a jawa accidentally activate a lightsaber and have it slice a sand crawler clean in two

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

2house2fly posted:

It doesn't matter how good it looks, I don't like CG recreations puppeting the face of a dead actor in the name of making a ref for nerds!
Using a dead actor's CGI likeness can be both a terrifying trend by filmmakers that doesn't bode well for anything from an individual's rights to their own IP to basic human decency and respect for the dead as well as a thing that almost unilaterally doesn't result in a movie looking good

Porque no los dos

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

While I totally agree, Peter Cushing (and Christopher Lee, probably eventually) would be enthusiastic about coming back from the dead in CGI form.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Breast/Legends

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Sorry, I'm only interested in canon breasts

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

excellent

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Here’s the JJ cut according to this supposed post:

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

If Mace Windu's ghost showed up during the climax and told Rey that she needed to reflect Palpatine's lightning back at him like he was a video game NPC giving out hints on how to beat the final boss it wouldn't have been any sillier than most of this movie.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

DC movie fans are unstable

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Imagine watching what JJ did to Star Trek AND Star Wars and going “I gotta get me some of that for my beloved franchise!”

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Flying Zamboni posted:

If Mace Windu's ghost showed up during the climax and told Rey that she needed to reflect Palpatine's lightning back at him like he was a video game NPC giving out hints on how to beat the final boss it wouldn't have been any sillier than most of this movie.

“Rey, get down! The enemy Sith Lord... Stay low and crawl along the ground”

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

for real that "JJ Abrams cut" sounds even worse than what we got

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Steve Yun posted:

“Rey, get down! The enemy Sith Lord... Stay low and crawl along the ground”

If Ben Solo hadn't taken fall damage when he jumped into the temple he would have had just enough HP left to survive the end of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Low Desert Punk posted:

DC movie fans are unstable

Better than Marvel movie fans who cheerlead for the military industrial complex and turn a blind eye to their favorite movie franchises cozying it up with the Northrop Grumman and the CIA.