Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gripweed posted:

Which is ironic because King Kong vs Godzilla was originally written as King Kong vs Frankenstein. But they liked the Frankenstein idea so much they went on to make Frankenstein conquers the World. And then a sequel, Frankenstein's Monsters: Sanda vs. Gaira. Which was released in America as The War of the Gargantuas, with the monsters called Gargantuas and all references to Frankenstein removed for some reason.

War of the Gargantuas has multiple references to the first movie, including the word “Frankenstein” in dialogue several times

It also loving shreds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Woebin posted:

Sweden also did the "Springtime" thing ("Dracula - Dead and Loving It" was "Springtime for Dracula", for instance). And similar to "Halløj", we had "Pang i Plugget" ("Saved by the Bell", or "[explosion onomatopoeia] in School") and "Pang i Bygget" ("Fawlty Towers", "[explosion onomatopoeia] in the Building", I guess?).

Translations are weird.

That's to translation what calling all video games a "Nintendo" or all CGI movies "a Pixar" is like.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Chris Knight posted:

That's to translation what calling all video games a "Nintendo" or all CGI movies "a Pixar" is like.

I'm aware of the former, but is the later really a thing?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

:smug:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Paper Kaiju posted:

I'm aware of the former, but is the later really a thing?

I worked with a lady who thought all CGI movies like Shrek were by Pixar.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

with Paul Walker as the T-Rex.

Ohhai
Apr 5, 2011

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

what does the RPG mean in this context?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Captain Supermarket. Huh.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Krankenstyle posted:

what does the RPG mean in this context?

Probably a reference to the sorta medieval fantasy setting

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Waffleman_ posted:

Probably a reference to the sorta medieval fantasy setting

That was my first thought but it serms weird, unlike the rest of the poster

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

Captain Supermarket. Huh.

yeah that title is great

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1213142963230052352?s=20

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Until darkness falls (and a spotlight turns on).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Still kinda clever though. I like it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

"From the creators of Sherlock" is the scariest part of that ad.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The reason they don't show what Dracula looks like is because he looks like this.

:nallears:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Dracula looks like he hands out lotion samples at a cart in the mall.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Excited for the After Effects-tutorial quality pop up text in this version of Dracla

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

zenintrude posted:

Excited for the After Effects-tutorial quality pop up text in this version of Dracla

Sherlock is literally a decade old and more or less popularized that iconography of having text messages appear as floating text on screen rather than having characters read text aloud, constantly cutting to screens to show text, or having pointlessly showing holographic displays pop up. Of all the things to criticize it for that isn't one of them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Sleeveless posted:

Sherlock is literally a decade old and more or less popularized that iconography of having text messages appear as floating text on screen rather than having characters read text aloud, constantly cutting to screens to show text, or having pointlessly showing holographic displays pop up. Of all the things to criticize it for that isn't one of them.

Just to be clear, this is what you're defending. This is what you think was important revolutionary film making. This is your favorite thing, you love this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FSKTndbwVo

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gripweed posted:

Just to be clear, this is what you're defending. This is what you think was important revolutionary film making. This is your favorite thing, you love this.

Settle down, Beavis.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

The reason they don't show what Dracula looks like is because he looks like this.

:nallears:

When I think Dracula, I deffo think "That dude from Modern Family but at an office Halloween party".

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Crowetron posted:

When I think Dracula, I deffo think "That dude from Modern Family but at an office Halloween party".

Looks like something from Community but I get your meaning

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Crowetron posted:

Oh yeah that's much better than the comparison I had, I was going with Jimmy Carr got caught out in the Timefall

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Crowetron posted:

I watched the first two episodes last night. It was bothering me who he looked like, thank you.

A very unapologetic Bad Guy with Bond villain campy / obvious dialogue.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The humourless but loving dad from a Hallmark movie

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Sleeveless posted:

:lol: they nicked it (and season 4 plots) from bloody Hollyoaks.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gripweed posted:

This is ironically "a pointless holographic display".

No wonder he's Stephen Strange though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Dracula should never be hot. He should be weirdly hot. Gimme a guy who you can't decide whether he's handsome or ugly.

e: Cumberbatch would be a decent pick by that criteria.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 4, 2020

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Dracula should never be hot. He should be weirdly hot. Gimme a guy who you can't decide whether he's handsome or the ugly.

e: Cumberbatch would be a decent pick by that criteria.

Adam Driver is the reigning champion of this.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Remake Interview with the Vampire with Driver and Cumberbatch

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Gripweed posted:

That's one of the stupidest examples of it, but you probably already know that. (Honestly the whole ~mind palace~ thing was stupid with or without the text.)

He's talking about this, although the video also points out earlier examples can be found as far back as 2001.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFfq2zblGXw

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I sometimes come across this in newspaper archives.

The original title was A Modern Marriage and it was released in 1950. Didn't stop someone from adding some scenes with non-original cast later. This thing was still kicking around the second rate circuit in 1967, usually in a twinbill with B-grade horror films.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

BlueBayou posted:

Remake Interview with the Vampire with Driver and Cumberbatch

I have the weirdest boner right now

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Dillbag posted:

I have the weirdest boner right now

Is the top half somehow hard but the bottom half isn't? That'd be weird.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kdrudy posted:

Like a baby's arm holding an apple

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

kdrudy posted:

Do you mean vertically or horizontally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Gripweed posted:

This stuff made me completely give up on that show, not that I really into it anyway.

If they reboot Columbo and he does that mind palace poo poo, I'd probably have an aneurysm.