Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CarForumPoster posted:

I dont know enough to have a worthwhile opinion on the right or wrongness of the matter but if he is in fact the head of the "Iranian CIA" it seems on its face the answer is a resounding "Yes!" And when combined with the fact that he was in country meeting with militia leaders at the time of the assassination, it seems like he was actively doing so at the time he was killed.

Losing the head of the CIA would be just another week in Washington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/ejmalrai/status/1213043729428340737

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Not for me to speak to speak for glynnenstein but I inferred his comment to mean "Was this guy pivotal to some future action [that actually matters] against us that we have now thwarted decisively?"

Not just a violent embassy protest or rocket attack.

It is kind of hard to understateoverstate how influential Soleimani was in the region. I was trying to come up with an analogy but literally couldn't (note: I ended on Che Guevara but that doesn't really work). He was a huge component of Iranian strategy and is essentially irreplaceable, at least for the foreseeable future. So, assuming that the US is opposed to the Iranian approach of proxy wars and terrorist actions throughout the middle east, this assassination is in line with US strategy. I have no idea if there was a specific Quds operation in the works this might have been in direct response to, but it is a big deal in the context of general competition between the US and Iran.

Note: this is not an endorsement of the methodology employed to off the guy.

edit - comparing Soleimani to the head of a random US 3 letter agency is a very bad comparison

edit 2 - i used a word that meant the opposite of what i wanted to say, because i am smart

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 3, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So, what, he’s the Iranian Zhukov?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Guess they got whatever to Aviano.

https://twitter.com/CivMilAir/status/1213116088516562952

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Captain von Trapp posted:

If Mattis were living in Iran, directing the killing of Iranians, for years, and they blew him up… I'd have to say I couldn't blame them.

Where does 'living in Iran' come into it? This guy wasn't living in America.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1213103431868661760

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

I dont know enough to have a worthwhile opinion on the right or wrongness of the matter but if he is in fact the head of the "Iranian CIA" it seems on its face the answer is a resounding "Yes!" And when combined with the fact that he was in country meeting with militia leaders at the time of the assassination, it seems like he was actively doing so at the time he was killed.

We keep saying “militia leaders” in the US but those militias are an official part of the Iraqi military. Yes they’re “Iran affiliated” but as far as Iraq is concerned we just assassinated general in their “national guard” and a foreign dignitary.

This was a really, really bad idea. If we want to play “he was a bad person!” games then we should have no problem with say Vietnam killing Kissinger at random when he visits say, idk Canada.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

This was a really, really bad idea. If we want to play “he was a bad person!” games then we should have no problem with say Vietnam killing Kissinger at random when he visits say, idk Canada.

wtf stop making trump’s strike sound good

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Platystemon posted:

wtf stop making trump’s strike sound good

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

hobbesmaster posted:

We keep saying “militia leaders” in the US but those militias are an official part of the Iraqi military. Yes they’re “Iran affiliated” but as far as Iraq is concerned we just assassinated general in their “national guard” and a foreign dignitary.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the next high-ranking US visitor to the Gulf ate an S-300 on approach into Bahrain/Dubai/etc.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

No living US military leader or intelligence has the kind of name recognition and popularity among normal civilians that Soleimani had. He was basically Shiite Captain America. He was absolutely coordinating terrorist operations while alive, but dead he is a martyr par excellence. Both previous administrations have had chances to take him out, but they both decided he was less dangerous alive than as a martyr and cause for revengance. And it is only a matter of time before some sort of revengance appears.

Remember, real life isn't the MCU. Large numbers of average people can do as much or even more damage than a single superhero, and the leaders are not load-bearing bosses. Killing Captain Terrorism does not put an end to his terrorist organization, and it does not ensure his replacement will be less skilled or less violent than he was.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

hobbesmaster posted:

we should have no problem with say Vietnam killing Kissinger at random when he visits say, idk Canada.

Keep going, I'm nearly there.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Platystemon posted:

So, what, he’s the Iranian Zhukov?

It's hard to draw a US or even USSR comparison because, fortunately, the US and USSR haven't really had anything like Quds force or the IRGC.

Imagine you built a second, parallel US Army. This one with a ton of independence reporting exclusively to the POTUS and composed exclusively of hard right conservative Christian chud types. This army is meant to put down rebels, wrongthinkers, and anyone threatening the President's rule. That's the IRGC.

Now roll the School of the Americas into that parallel army along with the more aggressive parts of the CIA and NSA a lot of Americans don't like. This branch is meant to gently caress around overseas rather than domestically. That's Quds force.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 3, 2020

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

He's the Iranian Hot Coldman.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The closest comparison I can think of is the PLA, if that had a separate leader besides Xi Jinping.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

golden bubble posted:

No living US military leader or intelligence has the kind of name recognition and popularity among normal civilians that Soleimani had. He was basically Shiite Captain America. He was absolutely coordinating terrorist operations while alive, but dead he is a martyr par excellence. Both previous administrations have had chances to take him out, but they both decided he was less dangerous alive than as a martyr and cause for revengance. And it is only a matter of time before some sort of revengance appears.

Remember, real life isn't the MCU. Large numbers of average people can do as much or even more damage than a single superhero, and the leaders are not load-bearing bosses. Killing Captain Terrorism does not put an end to his terrorist organization, and it does not ensure his replacement will be less skilled or less violent than he was.

He had personal relationships with the leaders of various militia and terrorist groups that have to be rebuilt. He also ran the Quds Force for 20 years. He's not load-bearing, but his death does set them back. But more than that, if we're willing to wax Suleimani, then lower level Quds Force guys are on the menu too. Their operations will be hampered by the need for greater security and secrecy. I still don't know if it was worth it but if you want the strongest case for killing him I think that's it.

Skeeber
Jul 13, 2006

Skeeber fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 3, 2020

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Well that's no fun.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you're such a loving idiot mortabis

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Warbadger posted:

Imagine you built a second, parallel US Army. This one with a ton of independence reporting exclusively to the POTUS and composed exclusively of hard right conservative Christian chud types. This army is meant to put down rebels, wrongthinkers, and anyone threatening the President's rule.

The US Marine corps?
(Yes yes I know, I'm not being serious)

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

Warbadger posted:

Imagine you built a second, parallel US Army. This one with a ton of independence reporting exclusively to the POTUS and composed exclusively of hard right conservative Christian chud types. This army is meant to put down rebels, wrongthinkers, and anyone threatening the President's rule. That's the IRGC.

Now roll the School of the Americas into that parallel army along with the more aggressive parts of the CIA and NSA a lot of Americans don't like. This branch is meant to gently caress around overseas rather than domestically. That's Quds force.

Would you think the Nazi's SS be a good comparison? In terms of the parallel army and suppression of wrongthinkers and whatnot?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I actually had no idea who this General was and was looking around to see if anyone had any kind of effort post write up, is there anyone here who has enough knowledge to do so? What about the poster who did the Iran-Iraq war posts?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

feedmegin posted:

Where does 'living in Iran' come into it? This guy wasn't living in America.

It's not a great analogy, but I was trying to get across the idea of a leader being physically present in the opposing country's territory. Of course Iraq isn't our territory, but we have people there, and he was killing them.

The more I think about the strike in general, the more I think it will probably meaningfully force Iran to back down. The offer is "stay out of Iraq or we kill you there, and no one is off the table". Iran has few good ways to escalate barring a real act of war, and as hideous as it would be for us it's existential for them. So they probably cave, and everyone avoids war, as everyone prefers.

The danger is the risk they don't.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I actually had no idea who this General was and was looking around to see if anyone had any kind of effort post write up, is there anyone here who has enough knowledge to do so? What about the poster who did the Iran-Iraq war posts?

https://youtu.be/Ux9GI5nxMVU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

It's not a great analogy,

Could’ve stopped there, honestly.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Imagine having the thought, "Trump was definitely right about a foreign policy decision regarding the middle east"

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

hypnophant posted:

Imagine having the thought, "Trump was definitely right about a foreign policy decision regarding the middle east"

I don't think you'll find the word "definitely" in what I wrote, but certainly I'm not so blindly partisan that I'd say anything as risible as what you've just said.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Huh. VP got the number of hijackers on 9/11 wrong and blamed Iran for helping them. As far as weird after the fact justification goes, what?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Well we're cant blame the saudis so close enough i guess

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Remember when it was Iraq that did 9/11?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
Was killing him a good idea? No.

Was killing him the way we did a good idea? No.

Will I mourn his death? Absolutely not.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The danger is the risk they don't.
they’re not morons and they’re not suicidal. the danger is covert and destabilizing actions.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

The more I think about the strike in general, the more I think it will probably meaningfully force Iran to back down. The offer is "stay out of Iraq or we kill you there, and no one is off the table"

How sure can we be that this is how they'll read it?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

StandardVC10 posted:

If they don't we'll just have to speak more clearly, by assassinating some Iranian leaders inside Iran, of course.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Huh. VP got the number of hijackers on 9/11 wrong and blamed Iran for helping them. As far as weird after the fact justification goes, what?

Read pages 240 and 241 of the 9/11 commission report.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

Not very, I guess. You can tell them, but you can't make then believe you. This was a problem in both directions during the cold war. It's certainly one of the risks of this course of action, and brinkmanship generally.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Hauldren Collider posted:

(And none of the other pages)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hauldren Collider posted:

lmao, wow, if that's what he's referencing, the VP is deeply misleading in intent and also wrong in fact.

His tweet does not say what the 9/11 commission report says at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Not very, I guess. You can tell them, but you can't make then believe you. This was a problem in both directions during the cold war. It's certainly one of the risks of this course of action, and brinkmanship generally.

As it turns out, open channels of communication between even oppositional state actors is a more effective means of transferring both denotation and connotation versus only using smoke signals, who knew?

:shrug:

*: It's even more effective than counting the number of people on the May Day reviewing stand standing to the right of Brezhnev then plugging this into a differential equation to determine soviet refrigeration production for the year**

**: Not the number of people standing to his left though (that's how you know if the borscht the cafeteria had that day also had cabbage in it :ussr::gas:).