Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I apologetically love like, all of Sorry for Party Rocking. And Ossuarium is really good! One of the first things released this last year that really wow'd me and I snap bought it from 20BS on wax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Man, I'm trying to buy some stuff from Unholy Patches, and Paypal keeps flagging the transaction for review, and then canceling it because of a "risk".

Probably some stupid overly paranoid word filter catching his name Hussein, and a bunch of stuff with "death" and "unholy" and so on, because they're metal patches, dammit. gently caress paypal.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

KozmoNaut posted:

Did anyone post Mystik yet?

Swedish old-school speed metal goodness, with a touch of epic doom.

https://mystikswe.bandcamp.com/releases

Getting old Heathen vibes from this and it owns

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Man, I remember that album cover so I've probably checked out that Mystik album before, and I have NO idea why it hasn't left more of an impression back then. This poo poo owns.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

First Friday of the new decade, here's some 2020 stuff I've checked out and dug:

Sofiya, atmoblack with lots of post-metal and some dungeon synth thrown in
Vintlechkeit, atmoblack. These guys release an EP or an album every month it feels like, they usually lean towards "really loving good" but this new demo is merely decent.
Mordenheim, death doom. A really loving chaotic and strange listen, at points I can't even call this death doom and it turns into blackened death with some noise thrown in.
Moongates Guardian, symphonic atmoblack about LotR.
Windhelm, bm

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 3, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Whoever put Antichrist rise to power on their list from last year, goddamn this is a good listen.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

It's a fantastic album and because bm fans are dumb as hell it's my most valuable record so it's got that going for it too

edit: Another new release. Oath, trad. At first I thought that it's got catchy as gently caress NWOBM riffs that sound like they should accompany a cheesy battle sequence in a mecha or space battle anime, then the vocals kicked in and I thought it sucked something massive. Now a couple tracks in the vox are growing on me and it's back to being the soundtrack to me imagining red lines lacing across giant green penis ships.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 3, 2020

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the riff from FOREVER FAITHFUL TO THE EMPEROR has been stuck in my head for months. my aoty 2019 for sure.

if you missed Autumn Heart - The Deaths of Summer check that out too, really neat release with one of the same members. is on Bandcamp.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

my bony fealty posted:

the riff from FOREVER FAITHFUL TO THE EMPEROR has been stuck in my head for months. my aoty 2019 for sure.

if you missed Autumn Heart - The Deaths of Summer check that out too, really neat release with one of the same members. is on Bandcamp.

I have to say that my favorite song title from the album is Re-Establish the Black Rule of France. Sounds like a level from Jamestown.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
That Departure Chandelier album is tremendous and it's gotten to the point where I just cannot understand why some of my philistine black metal friends don't like it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

deadking posted:

That Departure Chandelier album is tremendous and it's gotten to the point where I just cannot understand why some of my philistine black metal friends don't like it.

Okay gently caress it I’m throwing this on in a few.

Album art and song titles are great. I really like the old school weird logo and font used. Makes me think of some strange 90s metal I would blind buy from the record store.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Hopping on the Departure Chandelier train cause I'm a year behind. That intro synth is fat, thicc, and dirty. Am I listening to funk?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Hopping on the Departure Chandelier train cause I'm a year behind. That intro synth is fat, thicc, and dirty. Am I listening to funk?

Hahaha I just came back to post this. I didn’t expect some faaaat synth intro action right out of the gate.

tbh just give me synths and sword noises and riffs, that’s all i ask for

This is great so far but I really wish the instrumentation wasn’t so sloppy at times :smith:

Raw bm with fun keyboards tho :homebrew:

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 3, 2020

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

More new poo poo, I don't know when this became available since the Bandcamp release date says the 5th and RYM says the 10th but the new Haunt album is up in full early. I checked Facebook on a whim to see if any good shows are coming up and apparently I already hit interested on the record release party for it tonight, so I'll go see them for like the third time in a year and buy them drinks :toot:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Well, it's 2020 now and I'm still letting Dead To a Dying World punch my face in more than any other band in my library.

The pitch for the Elegy album was probably "GY!BE, but BRÜTAL". This is music to watch WW3 to.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Is this the thread for 80s hair metal?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
yeah sure why not

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Almost hate to post two Pull The Plug products so quickly but they did a fucken Grind Crusher patch and now there’s one heading my way.

When that came out I got addicted to Godflesh, Morbid Angel, and especially Bolt Thrower, loving psyched there’s a patch!!

https://pulltheplugpatches.bigcartel.com/product/028

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Reckon this is how my top ten list came out. Top 3 are top 3, rest in no real order.

Gloryhammer - Legends from Beyond the Galactic Terrorvortex
Dawn Ray'd - Behold Sedition Plainsong
Obsequiae - The Palms of Sorrowed Kings
Fvneral Fvkk - Carnal Confessions
Stillness - Hermit
Paladin - Ascension
Vanum - Ageless Fire
Orodruin - Ruins of Eternity
Gatecreeper - Deserted
Blut aus Nord - Hallucinogen

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
here's a fun thing I found. Not so much because it is totally awesome or anything but it is a band that isn't on metal-archives and its literal children making sort of blackened thrash metal.
The fact they're kids also explains why they chose the name Diabology because it is a kinda dumb name.

But look at them!

https://diabology.bandcamp.com/album/nobody-believes-me

In a completely different ballpark, we have DAŽD which is "primordial ritualistic punk metal yielded from the blood-soaked soil of Serbia insane." and "promethean crust for eternal warriors" and for "adherents of AMEBIX, KILLING JOKE, CURRENT 93, PENTAGRAM, ISENGARD, MAYHEM" which is quite a varied bunch.

https://fuckyogarecords.bandcamp.com/album/krv-i-seme

It sort of sounds like they recorded it inside a shipping container or something at times. But I like it.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Snowy posted:

Almost hate to post two Pull The Plug products so quickly but they did a fucken Grind Crusher patch and now there’s one heading my way.

When that came out I got addicted to Godflesh, Morbid Angel, and especially Bolt Thrower, loving psyched there’s a patch!!

https://pulltheplugpatches.bigcartel.com/product/028

These are stunning. I'm sad that Ossuarium one is sold out, because I'm about to embark on my second, green- and yellow-themed patch jacket

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

InsidiousMuppet posted:

Have some Slovakian death metal with really good bass: https://brute-slovakmetalarmy.bandcamp.com/album/henchmen

We can't talk Slovakia without mentioning Abortion: https://abortionofficial.bandcamp.com/

Amazing old timers, lords of ripper crust and really nice guys to boot.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Nazzadan posted:

Finally got around to my top albums/EPs of the decade. The first row other than the Fen album on the end are my 5s from the decade, everything else are 4.5s in reverse chronological order.

I'm real stoked that Chat Pile is getting so much love. Those are solid dudes.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

30 year old Napalm Death bootleg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRbVzLXW_DY

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

MrBling posted:

In a completely different ballpark, we have DAŽD which is "primordial ritualistic punk metal yielded from the blood-soaked soil of Serbia insane." and "promethean crust for eternal warriors" and for "adherents of AMEBIX, KILLING JOKE, CURRENT 93, PENTAGRAM, ISENGARD, MAYHEM" which is quite a varied bunch.

https://fuckyogarecords.bandcamp.com/album/krv-i-seme

It sort of sounds like they recorded it inside a shipping container or something at times. But I like it.

That description definitely got my interest and the music sounds pretty cool so far.

Am I alone in finding the Bandcamp search really bad? I had to google gently caress Yoga records to get to their Bandcamp page, I couldn’t find it at all through the app.

But anyway through them I came across a project by the label head called Transhunter, a name that’s pretty :yikes: but the music sounds weird and promising. “A valorous automatic bridging of distant inhuman conditions and forging them in an alchemic weapon of salvation, for some.
(ABRUPTUM. BEHERIT. COIL. DEAD CAN DANCE... HELLHAMMER... SPK)”

http://fuckyogarecords.bandcamp.com/album/s-t-2

E- also hell yeah the malignant altar record came with stickers and a patch

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Seems a band called Necrowretch have put out a new single, which prompted me to go back and check out their older stuff and holy hell they're awesome riff heavy black metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8-P32bB4Y0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiwY6UmzVRY

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Snowy posted:

E- also hell yeah the malignant altar record came with stickers and a patch

^^ speaking of Maggot Stomp, I saw a great show last night with a couple bands on their label. Vomit Forth, Steel Bearing Hand and Frozen Soul. Shirts were very cool too, had to get a couple.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thinking about making it a thing to avoid rym/etc discog ratings sites completely this year. I have a habit of checking out band pages there to figure out what albums I should check out and such. I find that it colors my feelings and expectations too much though which is why I already don’t care for reading music reviews. I’m sure by it leading me towards to the “best” path through a bands discography that I end up missing or underappreciating ignored albums that I would actually enjoy a lot. I don’t know really. I’m slowly shifting towards ignoring everything that isn’t the music itself and casual discussion/recommendation lists. I like it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The key to using RYM as a tool for music discovery is that you have to get a grasp on what the community’s taste is and how it functions, then correct for it. Especially for new albums where it often starts out with shockingly high ratings and then gets downvoted to hell by people who don’t like the genre/people who base their entire listening habits on Fantano reviews.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

Thinking about making it a thing to avoid rym/etc discog ratings sites completely this year. I have a habit of checking out band pages there to figure out what albums I should check out and such. I find that it colors my feelings and expectations too much though which is why I already don’t care for reading music reviews. I’m sure by it leading me towards to the “best” path through a bands discography that I end up missing or underappreciating ignored albums that I would actually enjoy a lot. I don’t know really. I’m slowly shifting towards ignoring everything that isn’t the music itself and casual discussion/recommendation lists. I like it.

this is a good approach, I dont pay any heed to online reviews other than reading "0% this poo poo sucks" reviews on Metal Archives of albums I enjoy because they're amusing

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
That's why forums are great for recommendations. Knowing what the person doing the recommendation likes gives you insight if you should pay attention to them. Two different posters in this very thread can describe two different bands with the exact same description and I bet I would go "that sounds good" and check it out to one, but know the other one is probably bad because I know what they like vs what I like.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think I just miss having genuinely no clue what’s good or bad. I’ll hear a song or hear about a band and go straight to google. I don’t want to know that soon though! I want to be my 17 y/o self strolling into the record shop to dig and find the dumbest spookiest album covers. I want to hear a riff that fucks me up so hard I spend hours just going through a back catalogue because I need mooooore. I remember doing that with Blind Guardian back whenever. I became obsessed with them randomly and had my dad take me to use all my cash for like 90% of their cds in one go. I also have a memory of century media (lol) having this huge 6/6/06 sale. I bought like 20 albums, most of which I didn’t have a clue about. That’s how I found Slough Feg and a few others I still really enjoy. Not trying to ok boomer myself as I love streaming for how easy it is to find stuff, but I think that ease of access can enable bad habits like listening to 50 bands a day and not having any of it hit on a deeper level while at the same time knowing it’s “quality” somehow.

anyway holy gently caress do I ramble, can’t wait to smash 1000+ links itt over the new year hail satan

Parachute
May 18, 2003
the ease of access (creation and consumption) is 100% awesome and every year gets better for music if only because of that. id rather have too many options and am kind of glad its not like it was when i was a kid and you had to basically gamble all of your money away on music you may end up not liking at all.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
If I cared about what was cool I wouldn't spend the whole weekend listening to Dungeon Synth

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

There is definitely a loss of "special," like when I grabbed a Hammerfall disc in early HS cause it looked awesome, and discovered power metal for the first time.

:black101:
Snow is falling down on this
Glorious land...

:black101:

But you just gotta find new things that are special. Bands can make/release music like never before, and that's worth it, imo.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
When I was in high school, me and my buddy picked up Cannibal Corpse's "Bloodthirst" at the music store because the cover art blew our minds. We listened to it at his house cause my parents were strictly against music with parental advisory stickers, let alone something like CC. We sat there listening to "Unleash the Bloodthirsty" with our mouths open because it owned so hard. And actually it inspired a lot of music we wrote together.

I don't know if it's just that I'm older and jaded now, but I don't get that same experience discovering music nowadays. It all comes and goes so fast.

edit-- ah, it's me, the Boomer

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 6, 2020

Parachute
May 18, 2003
that happened with me and 'prowler in the yard' when i was 15, but i cant even count how many strikeouts i had before and after that until it became easier to get stuff online through places like soulseek.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah I’m not trying to say any approach is better or anything. Music discovery and listening is better than ever now but it’s very easy to fall into laziness + short attention span. Working on avoiding that side effect.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Ignoring reviews is a pretty solid approach imo. Even if the reviewer comes down on the album in a way that ultimately matches your own subjective opinion, you'll have to endure the reviewer demonstrating how incredibly smart and funny they are in 1000 words or less. I'm not sure which is worst - LiveJournal entries about how the album has been the perfect soundtrack for a recent life event, unwarranted segues into the teachings of the philosopher tangentially referenced in one of the song titles, or the wacky "novelty review" (j/k they're all the worst). Just write about the loving music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
For me finding out what music your favorite artists listens to can work nicely. It's lead to me discovering great stuff.