Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I like that the most about her, she uses her intelligence since she doesn’t have the strength the others do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Aginor's "I never cared for this fighting stuff, all I wanted to do was experiments, why the hell do I have to go fight oops I died" was pretty funny too

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Moghedien is one of my favorites because of her constant cowardness as a stark contrast to brave Nynaeve who thought she was a coward

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I think with a limited budget the way to go with a lot of the magic stuff and especially EotW ending would be getting all artsy / trippy with it. Intense disorientating sound effects, simple visual metaphors like drowning, being hit by waves, angelic choruses, walls of fire, etc, and intentionally editing it so that it all seems to happen out of nowhere and that the real world seems insignificant when all this One Power poo poo is happening.

Eventually with routine magic you can build a simple visual language to show what's going on, like cut to a rosebud opening when a character is trying to embrace saidar, or something. I imagine any CGI "flows" they do will look silly and should be really rare.

Of course you need a good director and editor for this.

Also, lots of dramatic arm and finger movement. Except, yeah, for Nynaeve vs. Moghedien.

It could lead to some interesting reveals too. I know the scene where Brigitte tricks Mat could be done well, but having scenes where some of the characters have no idea that a man was channeling near them might be fun to watch. Done properly it could lead to some really interesting foreshadowing.

Also, it was a pretty fun thing to read when an Asha'man shows up at the rebel camp and goes "There's a man channeling here who's not me" and everyone freaks out.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oh they are so going to use the "nimbus of light surrounding women who are holding the source" thing.

Because then they'll be able to put some menacing aura-that-isn't-actually-visible around saidin wielders.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

silvergoose posted:

Because then they'll be able to put some menacing aura-that-isn't-actually-visible around True Power wielders.
Y'know...or both!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Invalid Validation posted:

I like that the most about her, she uses her intelligence since she doesn’t have the strength the others do.

That's what she tells herself. Her duel with Nynaeve in TSR is telling - when Nynaeve thinks she's losing, she finds another way to gain an edge. When Moghedien thinks she's losing, she immediately tries to run.

Hell, look at Shadar Logoth - she just stands and watches.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well yea I guess o should say knowledge, not intelligence.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

bloom posted:

Thinking that "the primitives" couldn't possibly come up with anything new was like the main weakness all the forsaken had. That and constant infighting.

Early on in the series, some forsaken, I think Graendal? Thinks to herself that “we are certainly something more than human, you cant call us people” or some such. which is funny since the Forsaken are chosen for traits such as selfishness, pettiness and jealousy. They are the MOST Human and possess all Man’s failings

Except ishamael towards the end of his first run, I guess. Loved reading the other chosen think “That dude was on some other poo poo.”

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

silvergoose posted:

Oh they are so going to use the "nimbus of light surrounding women who are holding the source" thing.

Because then they'll be able to put some menacing aura-that-isn't-actually-visible around saidin wielders.

Your TV doesn't have a Red/Green/Blue/Octarine display?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
That’s their thing, though. The guide goes even further to say that the shadow in the AOL could have always conquered the light, but they would always attack each other instead. The dark one feeds in treachery itself, not meritocracy.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Not to mention what Rand learned in AMOL. He's called the Father of Lies for a reason.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

seaborgium posted:

It could lead to some interesting reveals too. I know the scene where Brigitte tricks Mat could be done well

That scene is great too, because in it (and one or two other places with Mat) you can tell the instant they switch to speaking the old tongue because the word choice and rhythm and such Mat and Birgitte use change. If Mat ever says "Burn my bones to ash!" rather than "Burn me!" he's speaking the old tongue.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

seaborgium posted:

I know the scene where Brigitte tricks Mat could be done well,
Uh, remind me. I'm not able to hold all of WoT in my head at once and it's been a while. Even just a chapter reference would be enough, so I could look it up.

seaborgium posted:

Also, it was a pretty fun thing to read when an Asha'man shows up at the rebel camp and goes "There's a man channeling here who's not me" and everyone freaks out.
Seriously. I think it also shows how much better-off they'd be if they'd had normalized relations and some kind of small diplomatic office from each Tower at the other. Of course, this would all go terribly in actual fact, but there's still the idea.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Vavrek posted:

Uh, remind me. I'm not able to hold all of WoT in my head at once and it's been a while. Even just a chapter reference would be enough, so I could look it up.

Yeah I'm also not sure which trick Birgitte pulled on Mat that would involve glowing with the Power.

Rohan Kishibe is obviously referring to the scene in the bar across from the Tarasin Palace, though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

why would birgitte be glowing with the power

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The scene they're talking about is when Brigette tricks Mat into speaking the Old Tongue when he's trying to claim he doesn't speak it and you have the reveal to the audience because the scene is in Mat's perspective and he doesn't even realize he shifted i to speaking it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's the chapter Swovan Night in The Crown of Swords, and it's one of my all time favorite chapters in WoT. It's the chapter where Mat realizes that Birgitte is really the Birgitte, where she tricks him into revealing he speaks the Old Tongue, and where they seal a kind of mutual pact of secrecy. "What language do we speak, Hornsounder?" is a truly great moment. And Elayne and Nynaeve get some long overdue pushback for treating Mat like an infant.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Who was Ishemael's ressurection body, Moridin or Shadar Haran?

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!

Soonmot posted:

I thought it was clearly Moridin. Is Shadar Haran really a theory people have?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Definitely moridin. Shaidar Haran is the dark one's touch, as much as shaitan is able to do.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Soonmot posted:

It's Moridin, he pulls Rand into a dream shard in ToM/AMoL (either the end of ToM or start of AMoL) and it's explicitly stated. They have a conversation about it and everything.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 5, 2020

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Torrannor posted:

It's the chapter Swovan Night in The Crown of Swords, and it's one of my all time favorite chapters in WoT. It's the chapter where Mat realizes that Birgitte is really the Birgitte, where she tricks him into revealing he speaks the Old Tongue, and where they seal a kind of mutual pact of secrecy. "What language do we speak, Hornsounder?" is a truly great moment. And Elayne and Nynaeve get some long overdue pushback for treating Mat like an infant.

Oh yeah, that's a great chapter

Pleads posted:

It's Moridin, he pulls Rand into a dream shard in ToM/AMoL (either the end of ToM or start of AMoL) and it's explicitly stated. They have a conversation about it and everything.

That was a great scene too. None of the usual scenery chewing and trying to intimidate each other like in previous dream meetings, it's just Rand and Moridin sick of all the poo poo going on.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

bloom posted:

Thinking that "the primitives" couldn't possibly come up with anything new was like the main weakness all the forsaken had. That and constant infighting.

A major weakness that a lot of them had is that they hated Lews Therin so much that all of their plans were designed around them personally showing Lews Therin up and rubbing his face in it. That's the cause of a lot of the infighting; they hated Lews Therin so much that they'd sabotage anybody else who might have a chance of success so that they could be the one to beat him. They ignored Rand al'Thor entirely, for the most part. They didn't want to beat the Dragon Reborn, they wanted to beat the Dragon himself.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Khizan posted:

A major weakness that a lot of them had is that they hated Lews Therin so much

That the flames. Flames. Flames ... at the side of their face. Heaving breaths, heaving — breathing, breath — heavi- channeling

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

To be fair, Lews Therin comes off as a smug rear end in a top hat that a lot of people hated for good reason.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I don't think I'd paid close enough attention to Mat's sentence structure there before.

quote:

“Elayne and Nynaeve know and kept it from me, true? I weary of secrets, Birgitte, and they harbor secrets as a grain barn harbors rats. They’ve become Aes Sedai, eyes and hearts. Even Nynaeve is twice a stranger, now.”
It's really quite striking.

edit: Like if you showed me that without saying what scene it was from, I'd be unsure who was saying it. If you blanked out the character names, I probably wouldn't be able to guess. But it's all just syntax and idiom shifting.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

rndmnmbr posted:

To be fair, Lews Therin comes off as a smug rear end in a top hat that a lot of people hated for good reason.

well, he isn't called Lews Therin Coolbuddy

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

It's explicitly stated that if he had done literally anything except rub his fractional superiority in Demandred's face on a constant and ongoing basis, Demandred wouldn't have gone to the Shadow. One gesture of friendship or respect might have denied the Dark One it's most effective Forsaken. But no, Lews Therin had to be a colossal dick at every opportunity.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

That the flames. Flames. Flames ... at the side of their face. Heaving breaths, heaving — breathing, breath — heavi- channeling

:golfclap:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I feel like that's exactly how Sammael feels

like, all the time

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Johnny Joestar posted:

lol

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

rndmnmbr posted:

It's explicitly stated that if he had done literally anything except rub his fractional superiority in Demandred's face on a constant and ongoing basis, Demandred wouldn't have gone to the Shadow. One gesture of friendship or respect might have denied the Dark One it's most effective Forsaken. But no, Lews Therin had to be a colossal dick at every opportunity.

To be completely fair, Demandred could have just been like yo you're a giant dick and, idk, not turned to the Shadow and wiped out god knows how many

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

To be completely fair, Demandred could have just been like yo you're a giant dick and, idk, not turned to the Shadow and wiped out god knows how many

No

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Was it ever explained why the Aes Sedai didn't join Lews in sealing up the tear all those years ago? Or did they and I am just forgetting it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TheShadowAvatar posted:

Was it ever explained why the Aes Sedai didn't join Lews in sealing up the tear all those years ago? Or did they and I am just forgetting it.

The female Aes Sedai favored using the Choedan Kal (huge Sa'angreal statues) to erect a barrier around Shayol Ghul until a more permanent solution could be found, and found the plan by LTT and the male Aes Sedai too dangerous.

Too bad the forces of the Shadow overran the locations where the access key ter'angreal were hidden, without which the Choedan Kal couldn't be used.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

TheShadowAvatar posted:

There's a short story (written in world) that was included in the illustrated guide from 1997. You can read it here, it gives more context to what was going on during the War of Power.

https://library.tarvalon.net/index.php?title=The_Strike_at_Shayol_Ghul

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

TheShadowAvatar posted:

I'm pretty sure this also played a role:

rndmnmbr posted:

Plenty of people must've hated him but not sworn their souls over to the Shadow.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Lewis Therin was too mean to me, now I have to join the nazis Dark One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

Lewis Therin was too mean to me, now I have to join the nazis Dark One.

I mean yeah most of the forsaken are super fuckin fragile.

"I didn't get tenure, so I decided the world should burn"

"They didn't like how I deliberately did some medical malpractice, so I decided the world should burn"