Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Any native empires that might count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Acute Grill posted:

Basically. There was very little Spanish colonization in the area so it was mostly native land. Mexican government let Americans settle in the area. Americans decided to take the land for themselves because Mexico was limiting their use of slaves

Also, becaise a liberal Mexican Serb Freemason was really angry about newspaper censorship.

I wish I were joking

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Platystemon posted:

England and Scottland should count as independent colonising entities.

Germany, through the Northern Marianas Islands

Arguably Japan, through the occupation of Guam

Canada, barely

Was the Republic of Texas a colony? It feels like a colony, but a colony of what? The United States itself?

Strange but totally true: the Latter Day Saints
Portugal had many islands all over the world (including Macao), Brazil and Angola.
Also Leopold II had his own private country.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Toplowtech posted:

Portugal had many islands all over the world (including Macao), Brazil and Angola.
Also Leopold II had his own private country.

Neither of them ever controlled any land in what's now the US, though.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Pakled posted:

Neither of them ever controlled any land in what's now the US, though.

Yet.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you get your history from Thomas Nast cartoons, the Pope colonized America with his henchmen the Irish.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You could also possibly consider some of the many, many immigrant communities in America colonies, although they lacked the facade of sovereignty that proper colonies have.

Acute Grill posted:

Basically. There was very little Spanish colonization in the area so it was mostly native land. Mexican government let Americans settle in the area. Americans decided to take the land for themselves because Mexico was limiting their use of slaves

Specifically, the Comanche were operating in the region. Their territory wasn't absolute, since they were nomadic/migratory, and they made a whole industry out of raiding Mexico in the south, so unclear borders wound up serving them in that respect. The hope of Mexico was that American immigrants would help make a buffer, but most of the Americans stayed eastward while the Comanches kept their raiding focus southwards (and over west, New Mexico had become a sort of tributary state).

And I think while it is important to note that slavery was part of the Texans' demands, it's also important to keep in mind that Mexico was initial much more tolerant of the immigrants' slavery and non-catholicism, and the exact catalyst for the rebellion and secession was the fact that Santa Anna was drastically reforming the Mexican government trying to centralize, and Tejas wasn't even the only part of Mexico that rebelled after the constitution was repealled, it was just the most successful.

Alta California went mostly independent later and Nuevo Mexico had already drifted from Mexico's sphere of influence, so the US just took all of it in the Mexican-American war, along with some extra slices of northern Mexico. Not pictured here is how Coahuila and Tejas were for some reason a single administrative unit under Mexican rule.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

SlothfulCobra posted:

. Not pictured here is how Coahuila and Tejas were for some reason a single administrative unit under Mexican rule.

Basically, neither Coahuila or Tejas had enough of a population to become a state. The representative from Coahuila convinced Tejas leaders to agree to a merger of the provinces as a single state, because if they were territories, Mexico City would control the public lands.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

You could also possibly consider some of the many, many immigrant communities in America colonies, although they lacked the facade of sovereignty that proper colonies have.

Specifically, the Comanche were operating in the region. Their territory wasn't absolute, since they were nomadic/migratory, and they made a whole industry out of raiding Mexico in the south, so unclear borders wound up serving them in that respect. The hope of Mexico was that American immigrants would help make a buffer, but most of the Americans stayed eastward while the Comanches kept their raiding focus southwards (and over west, New Mexico had become a sort of tributary state).

And I think while it is important to note that slavery was part of the Texans' demands, it's also important to keep in mind that Mexico was initial much more tolerant of the immigrants' slavery and non-catholicism, and the exact catalyst for the rebellion and secession was the fact that Santa Anna was drastically reforming the Mexican government trying to centralize, and Tejas wasn't even the only part of Mexico that rebelled after the constitution was repealled, it was just the most successful.

Alta California went mostly independent later and Nuevo Mexico had already drifted from Mexico's sphere of influence, so the US just took all of it in the Mexican-American war, along with some extra slices of northern Mexico. Not pictured here is how Coahuila and Tejas were for some reason a single administrative unit under Mexican rule.

Part of Santa Anna's cracking down on the anglos was the hope that they'd stop coming over, as they were just settling farmland instead of fighting Comanche. This plan did not go as intended.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I was wondering what the salterns on this map looked like so I dug up some reconstructions:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This is certainly relevant:

Iran has the population of these states combined

And the land area of these states combined

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Wait, how can Roman era anything be called "industrial" ?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This is certainly relevant:

Iran has the population of these states combined

And the land area of these states combined

I’m Block Island, off the coast of South Carolina.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Kobal2 posted:

Industry existed before it was revolutionized by steam power.

Thanks for the saltern diagrams Squalid!

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Roman industrial mining owned. It would create vast fields of acidic gas that would melt your flesh if you walked through it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Read Pliny.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kobal2 posted:

I mean, this is a sketch of a roman water mill, I would say this is an industry by most definitions.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Roman industrial mining owned. It would create vast fields of acidic gas that would melt your flesh if you walked through it.

They literally cut the top off of mountains.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Acute Grill posted:

Basically any nation with enough cash up front, and easy access to the Atlantic tried their hand at the colonization game.

I think this is very unfairly nice to Japan and china but I guess that depends on what counts as colonization

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you get your history from Thomas Nast cartoons, the Pope colonized America with his henchmen the Irish.

Mechanical gators they were

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Platystemon posted:

I’m Legendary Island, off the coast of South Carolina.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kobal2 posted:

Romans took mining very seriously. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_M%C3%A9dulas

As I recall they were also real big about steel production (even if the quality did not match Indian steel) and glass making.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zedhe Khoja posted:

it certainly owned the heck out of the slaves forced to work in it

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also it created detectable pollution in arctic glaciers. Who needs a steam engine when you have infinite slaves?

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

mandatory lesbian posted:

I think this is very unfairly nice to Japan and china but I guess that depends on what counts as colonization

You're right, it wasn't phrased well. I didn't mean to imply they were the only colonizers, just that a lot of Europeans got in on it, not just the four or five big colonial empires.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

yikes! posted:

it certainly owned the heck out of the slaves forced to work in it

Well yes, it owns in the "this would make a good industrial metal album cover" way. Obviously it was horrific on a societal and environmental level.
They also did industrial level farming in North Africa and permanently hosed it's farmland up.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Zedhe Khoja posted:

They also did industrial level farming in North Africa and permanently hosed it's farmland up.

Oh, I hadn’t heard about that part before. Got an article or a book or something I could read on the subject?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Oh, I hadn’t heard about that part before. Got an article or a book or something I could read on the subject?

"A tale of two deserts: contrasting desertification histories on Rome’s desert frontiers"
https://www.researchgate.net/profil...t-frontiers.pdf

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

map of historically navigable rivers and canals in France and adjacent areas.

France used to have an extensive canal system, but by 1955 many of its canals had closed or silted up. Did Germany have a lot of canals in the 19th century? Everybody post maps of your country's inland waterways.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Squalid posted:

Everybody post maps of your country's inland waterways.

Scotland also has a canal, unfairly missed off of the main map because there's no way between the two without a seagoing narrowboat :scotland:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Squalid posted:

map of historically navigable rivers and canals in France and adjacent areas.

France used to have an extensive canal system, but by 1955 many of its canals had closed or silted up. Did Germany have a lot of canals in the 19th century? Everybody post maps of your country's inland waterways.

Canals were huge in the 19th century in the US, both as a means of shaping the path of commerce and as routes of immigration and internal migration. And then railroads happened and boom, no more canals. Except that many major railroads bought canals so they could run their rails on the towpaths! So several of the canals shown as defunct on this map still exist to some degree, and there are occasional pushes to restore one of them, as happened to the Erie Canal a couple of decades or so.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

An' you try and tell the young people of today that, they won't believe you!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

(Above is a lower scale version because the full image is ultra high res)

Map of Florida waterways ca. 1930
https://www.floridamemory.com/onlineclassroom/primarysourcesets/water/documents/canalmap1930/

Florida being such a waterlogged state, it was harder to keep the water out, than getting it in. Lost of preexisting waterways also made it easier to make a network of canals. Most of these are not in heavy use to my knowledge anymore however as rail just got better and moving stuff to the major ports like Miami for high volume shipping became easier.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Zudgemud posted:

I mean, this is a sketch of a roman water mill, I would say this is an industry by most definitions.

PittTheElder posted:

Romans took mining very seriously. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_M%C3%A9dulas

As I recall they were also real big about steel production (even if the quality did not match Indian steel) and glass making.

That's cool, thanks for the larnin' ! I knew about their extensive farming (I remember having to sketch a hog "farm" that might as well have been a giant hangar owned by some modern agrobusiness) ; but I figured they just threw infinite slaves at most production/material sourcing issues.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Kobal2 posted:

That's cool, thanks for the larnin' ! I knew about their extensive farming (I remember having to sketch a hog "farm" that might as well have been a giant hangar owned by some modern agrobusiness) ; but I figured they just threw infinite slaves at most production/material sourcing issues.

I mean they did, they just had the slaves operate those factories. Being simple machines and pre-steam or electric means that the work was extremely dangerous and exhausting

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Squalid posted:

Everybody post maps of your country's inland waterways.

Nice try Putin.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Quorum posted:

Canals were huge in the 19th century in the US, both as a means of shaping the path of commerce and as routes of immigration and internal migration. And then railroads happened and boom, no more canals. Except that many major railroads bought canals so they could run their rails on the towpaths! So several of the canals shown as defunct on this map still exist to some degree, and there are occasional pushes to restore one of them, as happened to the Erie Canal a couple of decades or so.

I always wondered why they canaled all the way to lake Erie, like parallel to lake Ontario. Why not just canal to lake Ontario and then a smaller canal to Erie? A lot less work. That’s how the canal systems worked further in the great lakes

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Delthalaz posted:

I always wondered why they canaled all the way to lake Erie, like parallel to lake Ontario. Why not just canal to lake Ontario and then a smaller canal to Erie? A lot less work. That’s how the canal systems worked further in the great lakes

The British had a strong naval presence on Lake Ontario, that might have factored in.

Montréal and Québéc were of far more concern than future Toronto or points on Erie, and Kingston had a large garrison, fort, and naval base by North American standards so Erie would be less of an issue.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Delthalaz posted:

See that stretch of river between Lake Ontario and Lake Erie? That’s where the Niagra Falls are.

The lakes are a hundred metres apart in elevation. Connecting the two was a greater engineering challenging than paralleling Lake Ontario. The proof of that is that the Canadians did it, it took more time and money than the Erie Canal, and that’s without connecting all the way to the Hudson.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 4, 2020