Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Archonex posted:

I know like five people that were actively forced to quit because of that.
Make it seven. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I picked this game up at some point, made a character, ran around Morrowind basking in nostalgia for a day, and haven’t played since.

Is it worth investing more time in this game? I don’t know anything about builds or whatever resource hoarding has been discussed the last page.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

I picked this game up at some point, made a character, ran around Morrowind basking in nostalgia for a day, and haven’t played since.

Is it worth investing more time in this game? I don’t know anything about builds or whatever resource hoarding has been discussed the last page.

If you absolutely need an Elder Scrolls fix then yeah give it some more time. Otherwise I'd say probably not.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Yeah it's only decent for about 100.000 hours played, after that you're forced to do pvp or housing stuff if you want something to do.

It's still a pretty great single player-ish game imo, and if you're just starting the amount of content is crazy.

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

Archonex posted:

They just. Don't. Care. about fixing that bug.

I am amazed this is still an issue. I was thinking about getting back into this game over the holidays but having to play through a VPN is why I quit almost a year ago.

justblais
Apr 28, 2019

its ya boi

Scyantific posted:

Best way to figure out your user ID is to bring up the Friends menu, and in the upper left corner it'll say UserID followed by what your actual user ID is. (i.e mine is @Heatnix90).

ok yeah it was right, @MikeBlais for guild invite please

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

GreenNight posted:

I hit level 50 for the firs time last week and I don't know any of this. My food sucks bad.

Is it still bad to put points into Health?

For food while leveling, if you are Magicka get Potent Witchmothers Brew and if you are Stamina get Dubious Camoran Thrones. They hugely buff your main Stat and health and make a big difference.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Is there a good solo necromancer build? I got the expansion back when it came out but haven’t played it yet. Looking at getting a sub and taking the game seriously instead of bouncing around alts like I did the first time.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Mikemo Tyson posted:

Is there a good solo necromancer build? I got the expansion back when it came out but haven’t played it yet. Looking at getting a sub and taking the game seriously instead of bouncing around alts like I did the first time.

Mag or Stam? If anything, check AlcastHQ.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

valuum posted:

It's still a pretty great single player-ish game imo, and if you're just starting the amount of content is crazy.

the lore is pretty great in the game, both in the new stuff it does making tamriel feel more fleshed out and also older stuff it references/stays true to

there's a few flubbs or pratfulls lorewise here or there, more so when you're doing the launch era content when the writers spread themselves thin to bulk out three factions worth of quests, but for most part its a pretty cool and faithful view into TES a thousand years before skyrim

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The faction zone quests are, with a few exceptions, not very exciting. Not awful, just a bit...meh.

Also is it just me, or did a lot of the original leveling content overuse dramatic mid-questchain twists? When I played through the EP zones I lost count of all the various times it was revealed that the initial questgiver was secretly a daedric cultist or evil doppelganger or opposing faction member all along and now you have to do a bunch of followup quests to undo what you did.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Comrade Koba posted:

The faction zone quests are, with a few exceptions, not very exciting. Not awful, just a bit...meh.

Also is it just me, or did a lot of the original leveling content overuse dramatic mid-questchain twists? When I played through the EP zones I lost count of all the various times it was revealed that the initial questgiver was secretly a daedric cultist or evil doppelganger or opposing faction member all along and now you have to do a bunch of followup quests to undo what you did.

Anecdotal but I'm playing through it right now for the first time after buying it for sale, and despite being a longtime fan of Morrowind and ES in general I'm really pleasantly surprised how well the quests are done. Have not encountered a twist like that yet, am in the third zone for DC (though based on your post one might or might not be coming).

The main issue for me is the lack of instancing, especially with the sale you get 6-odd people jumping around in front of the guy you are supposedly rescuing, and half the time you don't even have anything to fight because other people are clearing the dungeon for you. Certainly takes away from the immersion a lot, compared with something like SW:KOTOR.

Oh and I wish there were better maps/resources so that you don't miss anything, I've got half a dozen map addons and I'm still hunting around for sidequests.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Comrade Koba posted:

Yeah, EP is especially egregious about this because there's two of those moments practically in a row (with a brief intermission in between). And the second time's reeeally telegraphed, to the point where I was surprised there wasn't a dialogue option along the lines of "Yo I just dealt with this same exact poo poo five minutes ago, let's skip to the part where I one-shot you in the middle of your beginning-of-the-fight monologue about how I will now face your true power."

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

ESO used to have a lot more aggressive instancing but I think they never really got it working right and paired it back, its very rare in the more post-launch content

AD is probably the most with top anime betrayals, EP is the content I did longest ago (like five years) so can't really recall, DC I think least because it's less oh, what a stunning twist and more oh no, more undead

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
ESO's story is so amazingly bad at concealing who the villains are. Literally everyone who at first impression is acting blatantly suspicious or shifty is evil, without any exception that I can think of. Even Scooby Doo was savvy enough to make these characters red herrings.

I think the only storyline that sort of got me was Murkmire, but even then it was like, "clearly this character is going to betray me for obvious reasons, but it also seems like they might be setting up a redemption arc, so maybe they're not going to be the main villain in all of this." Nnnope.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
The DC quest line is like reading a bunch of short stories from an old racist horror novelist. But instead of evil brown people, the villain is always some sort of undead or witch. The plot and setting is always really different and pretty enjoyable but the end result is always "oh no spooky witch".

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Someone mind tossing me an invite whenever you're free?

@alia.aevyr

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Aramek posted:

The DC quest line is like reading a bunch of short stories from an old racist horror novelist. But instead of evil brown people, the villain is always some sort of undead or witch. The plot and setting is always really different and pretty enjoyable but the end result is always "oh no spooky witch".

The noted old racist horror novelist liked spooky witches too (well shamans but similar).

I'm not saying that the quest writing is mindblowing or anything, but I feel like it's genuinely superior to Skyrim at least. Which for me is good enough.

There's also quite a wide variety to the world in terms of environments, which is something that's not been in the main ES games since Morrowind.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

eastern Skyrim from the launch stuff, while overall not one of the strongest arcs, did a much better representation of Nordic religion being a separate thing from the Imperial Cult than Skyrim did

curious how the upcoming chapter will shake out lorewise when they're given more focus

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Tbf in Skyrim's time Akatosh hadn't literally manifested in the center of the capital city of the entire continent and saved the world by fighting and defeating Mehrunes Dagon.

I imagine the Nine Divines got a lot more attention after that.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

yeah that's the general read of the situation and one i dont think is a stretch i just really like the pre-TES5 nordic take on religion where a lot of nordic religion shares overlaps with the Imperial Cult but nords are profoundly skeptical of imperials' veneration of Akatosh because to them that just reads as Alduin

(also Kyne/Kynareth being the nords chief deity, not Akatosh, though that does come through here and there when talking with the greybeards and some other spots)

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Make it seven. :smith:

Sesquiculus posted:

I am amazed this is still an issue. I was thinking about getting back into this game over the holidays but having to play through a VPN is why I quit almost a year ago.

Yeah. It's totally hosed. This is literally the only MMO i've ever played where it seems like they don't care about you wanting to play it.

The sad thing is, the fix is apparently quite easy to implement. If the old posts people did digging up the cause of the issue are right it's because whatever server technician/IT guy set up the Akamai authentication stuff basically made the authentication process as insanely draconian as possible. We're talking "Why would you even bother putting this system online if you set it up in this way?" sort of levels of stupidity. Which means that everyone is probably getting hit with the issue at some point (See that post above about people lagging because they're being routed to Sydney.) while an increasing number of people/crazily enough even ISP's just straight up get IP banned through it.

If that's correct then it literally requires changing a few settings and clearing whatever list of banned IP's they have. But apparently that's too much effort for them so :shrug:.

At some point they're gonna have to address it though. Because it's slowly starting to eat into the player base of major countries as whatever system they've set up flags random people as being some sort of malicious log on attempt whenever their connection lags in just the right way. I got hit by the same thing at one point due to a storm loving up our equipment and can't log on without a VPN any more as a result of it.

Edit: I should mention that people figured this out in a fairly hilarious way. Something as simple as tracerouting the outgoing and incoming IP addresses when choosing a character reveals the problem. How does it reveal it? Because whatever idiot set up the authentication/character loading process at one point literally labeled the place where things break during the character select issue as being an akamai authentication server. Which for security reasons seems like something you'd want to obfuscate the name of if you at all had the option to do so.

Meanwhile, people that don't have the issue can pass that point even when pinging or tracerting it. Which really doesn't make sense since you'd think that'd be the one time when it would want to cut the connection there since they're not logging in via the game. :stare:

So it's not like the devs don't know it. Literally a high schooler dicking around in command prompt could identify where the issue in their system is. They just don't want to fix it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 31, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Maybe they're worried that if they rescind the IP bans even legitimate abusers will come back?

Did anyone try to contact support about the issue and ask to have their IP unbanned and see what they say? Granted the one time I did contact support I never heard back (NPC in the wall preventing me for progressing with a quest), but, well.

e: phoneposting

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 1, 2020

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Private Speech posted:

Maybe they're worried that if they rescind the IP bans even legitimate abusers will come back?

Did anyone try to contact support about the issue and ask to have their IP unbanned and see what they say? Granted the one time I did contact support I never heard back (NPC in the wall preventing me for progressing with a quest), but, well.

e: phoneposting

I did. They just stop responding or tell you to tell your ISP to contact them. Which i'm assuming would just lead to whatever backbone/whatever they use getting banned too since literally no one on the forums has ever reported that as working.

At this point they've kind of got to accept that some of the legitimate abusers are going to get to take a second run since they hosed up their security architecture that badly. I mean, it won't be as bad as opening the floodgates since I can't find any incident of this issue occurring prior to Summerset. So at least there's that.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 2, 2020

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Could I get reinvited to the NA general guild please? Username is Eajmartin.

I was a member previously but haven't played in about a year so assume I got booted for inactivity or to make room for new people.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Hey at least in ESO you don't have to worry about other players stealing everything in your inventory just by being near you.

...And then removing the "essential" tag from your character and perma-killing you.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Who could possibly foresee that a gamebryo mmo multiplayer game would be a bad idea :tif:

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
Is this game worth the $7.99 price tag if I don't plan on playing it past whatever is included? I will probably snag it on Stadia when that comes out because it'll be cross play. Is there enough to do or would I be missing out on more than half of the game if I choose to play for free?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
That's up to you, $7.99 is a fair price for what I assume is the launch only content, which is still quite a bit, but if you find this a game you actually really enjoy you're still having to either buy the additional content you'd get (the chapters) or paying for ESO+ (roughly 15 a month).

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

if you don't care about crafting or doing actual end-gamey pvp/pve stuff and just want single player content you could just pick up one of the whatever elsweyr copies and i think that gets you the base game + morrowind + summerset + elsweyr and thats more than enough single player content to last you forever

i think those don't include the DLC stuff, much of which is good but the three expansions and the base game is still very considerable

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So looking at the Crown Store preview for January it looks like ZOS is really getting into FOMO crap with limited timed sales. I wonder how long until we start seeing Fortnight style "One Day Only: Buy NOW before it is gone FOREVER!" tactics.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

It looks like any other month.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

yeah ESOs been doing FOMO stuff forever my favorite being the $150 houses that are only available for three days

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing
For better or worse I reinstalled and decided to bum around in ESO again, mostly as a single player experience.

razak fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 19, 2020

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
I did the same and resubbed to premium for a month and now I feel a compulsion to ONLY play ESO and to ONLY play the DLC I don't already own because I buy into the sunk cost fallacy, I don't think it's going to be a fun month

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Any EU goons still playing? I hang out with the sweetroll crusaders guild who seem pretty chill, but I wouldn't playing with goons for a bit.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Private Speech posted:

Any EU goons still playing? I hang out with the sweetroll crusaders guild who seem pretty chill, but I wouldn't playing with goons for a bit.

If you mean anything organized on euroserver then no, House Awful is pretty dead.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Fewd posted:

If you mean anything organized on euroserver then no, House Awful is pretty dead.

Aww, that's a shame. Well I guess there's not that much to the game once you do all the content.

But then that's most MMOs I find, I got tired of SW:TOR in a couple of months.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Came back and I've made 200k in profit in a week selling Halloween masks and stonefire scamps.

Glad to see this game is still the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

What's the best way to have this game not run like complete dog poo poo with single digit framerates

I'm on an RTX 2070 at 2560x1440