Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Forged Magic weapons all have 3 range, including the bow, and it stacks with range ups from combat arts. So I guess if you want 4+ range, you could use it.

I guess.

I did Magic Bow Mercedes, but that was when I didn't do Authority on anyone that wasn't named Annette. My strategy tends to just be to hit things really hard and let Authority build up from having a Batallion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I really appreciate that you don't intend to poach too many students from other houses. It certainly lessens the impact of a playthrough, and makes your choice of house less meaningful. Poaching only a few select students also better allows you to show off as many of the units as possible.

I'm still curious about your choice for which routes to go first. With the benefit of having played through all routes already, I recommended a friend to go Blue Lions -> Black Eagles or Golden Deer -> Golden Deer/Black Eagles -> Church of Seiros. But I think it's great that there are good reasons for choosing any particular sequence.

e: edited for clarity

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 29, 2019

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
My own personal opinion as to how context for the broader story gets revealed with each route.

I had a few different orders in mind before starting the LP, but it's worth noting that they all ended with Crimson Flower.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I have some theories about why you might have chosen this order, but we unfortunately can't discuss them yet :cry:

That said, even though I recommended a specific order, I don't think any one route is perfect as a first playthrough. Three Houses did a good job to get me invested in each of it's four stories.

As for the mini-revelation in the last update, it's funny looking back at the Battle of Grondor Fields where Linhardt comments that Flayn doesn't seem nervous facing her first battle.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Torrannor posted:

With the benefit of having played through all routes already, I recommended a friend to go Blue Lions -> Black Eagles or Golden Deer -> Golden Deer/Black Eagles -> Church of Seiros.

I'm going Blue Lions first myself, as a new player. After that, haven't decided between Black Eagles and Golden Deer.

It's to this game's credit that I feel like poo poo for just thinking about having to fight the Lions. They're a good group of kids.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I am doing my first run Golden Deer, so I suppose I'll go Blue Lions, Black Eagles, Church of Seiros after that? Or would you all recommend swapping Blue Lions and Black Eagles?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

I am doing my first run Golden Deer, so I suppose I'll go Blue Lions, Black Eagles, Church of Seiros after that? Or would you all recommend swapping Blue Lions and Black Eagles?

If you want to minimize the amount of time doing the 1st act then that is a good order to do it in.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Incidentally I finished Azure Moon, my first play of the game, the other day. Enjoyed it a lot, and this LP is what pushed me over the edge into getting the game.

Thanks for a good LP and a good sales pitch, Ragnar!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Cythereal posted:

Thanks for a good LP and a good sales pitch, Ragnar!

You're welcome. I'm glad you're enjoying Three Houses.

Sorry for the delay in updates. This week's been hell on me emotionally and I've been directing my energy into playing Doom WADs and working on Etrian Odyssey stuff. I'll resume soon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I hope you're feeling better!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

No worries, take care of yourself first.

Just know that we're here and interested in the next update when you're feeling up to it.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Just caught up with the LP, this is amazing, thank you for doing this.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Cythereal posted:

I hope you're feeling better!

I am. Recent events on the forum made me take a while to think about if I wanted to keep driving traffic to the Something Awful forums, but they've mostly settled down by now.

I'm still focusing pretty hard on Etrian Odyssey stuff for the time being, though. Partner's starting up his EO3 romhack again and I've got a whole bunch of tools I want to rewrite from the last time. We spent all of today figuring out how the hell its weird bespoke font format works, for example. (Spoilers: it's a 1bpp graphic that contains no positioning information.) I'll see if I can make headway on the next update tonight.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Not dead. Just been playing other games.

I didn't like KH3 much when it first released, but ReMind and its patches have made it a pretty enjoyable experience. What this doesn't show was I played it on Critical with all of the DLC difficulty modifiers except "No battle items" enabled, which was...an absolutely hellish, but satisfying, ride. You can kinda see that reflected in my playtime...

About halfway through the next update. Shouldn't be long.

Oh, yeah, incidentally, once we finish Silver Snow, we'll be going through Cindered Shadows (the DLC mini-path) before moving onto Golden Deer/Verdant Wind. It'll be blind, so look forward to that. After that... My current plan is to take the Ashen Wolf most tied to the house of the current playthrough along, and put the other two up for a vote. Yuri is a...different matter. Not sure what to do with him.

Rea fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 5, 2020

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 35.
(SSLP Test Poster version.)

https://twitter.com/thegoodcatboy/status/1225918462238887936

I'm back, after a month of oaghhe.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Glad to have this back!

That's one paralogue I haven't gotten around to doing yet. I'm not super sold on the Gem for flyers, though, Alert Stance and the naturally high speed fliers get means that in my experience fliers don't actually have much to worry about from archers. Bad luck protection more than anything, and even then I'd prefer having a prayer or goddess ring to negate chip damage.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Cythereal posted:

That's one paralogue I haven't gotten around to doing yet. I'm not super sold on the Gem for flyers, though, Alert Stance and the naturally high speed fliers get means that in my experience fliers don't actually have much to worry about from archers. Bad luck protection more than anything, and even then I'd prefer having a prayer or goddess ring to negate chip damage.

I can usually take care of chip damage with Physic, and I never trust enemy accuracies that are above, like, 30 so. The Rafail Gem means Ingrid and Hilda (sadly not Petra) have insurance against that unlikely chance they eat an arrow, which I'd prefer over chip damage healing, because chip damage doesn't usually necessitate having to restrategize because I got unlucky and can't burn the RNG call that led to it.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Huh. Didn’t know the other Lamine holder could get access to Rafail.

Seteth/Bernie is one of my favorites for either of them, reflects very well on Seteth in a way a lot of his other supports don’t and Bernie is absolutely adorable/wholesome throughout.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

CmdrKing posted:

Huh. Didn’t know the other Lamine holder could get access to Rafail.

...Ffffffffffffffuck I forgot about the Circumstances there affecting the ability to do this paralogue. I'll edit that out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CmdrKing posted:

Seteth/Bernie is one of my favorites for either of them, reflects very well on Seteth in a way a lot of his other supports don’t and Bernie is absolutely adorable/wholesome throughout.

I paired them up in my first play through the game. The final support, leading into their ending, cracked me up.

Really, Seteth has become probably my favorite character in the game. This school desperately needs a wise (mostly, exception: Flayn), supportive elder mentor character, and Seteth fits into that job naturally.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Mercedes: "But wait, Emile, if you had that relic the entire time, why is Lysithea murdering you with Dark Spikes every time you meet?"
Death Knight: "...Crud."

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
It was in his inventory but he didn't have it equipped obviously.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I didn't use the Rafail Gem for pretty much any of my Blue Lion run (my flyers turned out badly to the point where Petra was the only one...) until the last map where I suddenly and violently needed crit neutralizing to be able to finish the map. It's good for that, at least.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

War Master is kind of hilarious. Fitting, given that the class is more or less the substitute for the Berserker class from previous games. The Bergliz War Group is very fitting for Caspar, given that it always comes with -10 Avoid penalty. If you recall, Caspar's personal inflicts that same penalty on adjacent foes, effectively negating the penalty he suffers from his unique battalion. Unfortunately, power-grinding Caspar to B rank Authority is a chore and one I totally did not do for my nearly finished Azure Moon playthrough, nope, not at all.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Glad you're back.

Annette/Mercedes was more gay in the Japanese.

Temperature defense will always be amusing to me. I'm going around barefoot and heading outside without socks simply because the cold is nothing to me while down south I have family complaining its down to 60.

Caspar, Randolph is your uncle by blood. I know you're not the brightest but come on... Or come on Treehouse I presume.

Hidden Blade in a gauntlet? Ferdinand is secretly an Assassin.

The Caspar/Mercedes paralogue is so rough when you're not using them.

Death Knight is such a nice boy.

...Wait, how are we getting to Brigid without a harbor...?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

McTimmy posted:

Annette/Mercedes was more gay in the Japanese.

Caspar, Randolph is your uncle by blood. I know you're not the brightest but come on... Or come on Treehouse I presume.

I dunno, it already seems pretty gay to me, what with Annette saying "I love you" and all.

I'm not particularly interested in the minutiae of how Treehouse localized the game, and complaints about it every other update are just kind of tiresome. Localizers have their reasons for everything, and I say this as, admittedly, not someone who does localization herself, but is friends with people who do.

Rea fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 9, 2020

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I dunno, it already seems pretty gay to me, what with Annette saying "I love you" and all.

I'm not particularly interested in the minutiae of how Treehouse localized the game, and complaints about it every other update are just kind of tiresome. Localizers have their reasons for everything, and I say this as, admittedly, not someone who does localization herself, but is friends with people who do.

I'll stop.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

McTimmy posted:

I'll stop.

Thank you. Apologies if I was a bit brusque there, I've just seen enough armchair translators nitpicking wording over intent since 3H was released that I've gotten tired of discussions about the localization. Ultimately, none of it really affects the text or story that much (except for one or two major exceptions for certain support chains that I'll bring up once we get to them).

(Not saying you or anyone you know are armchair translators, just sharing my experience with this stuff.)

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Thank you. Apologies if I was a bit brusque there, I've just seen enough armchair translators nitpicking wording over intent since 3H was released that I've gotten tired of discussions about the localization. Ultimately, none of it really affects the text or story that much (except for one or two major exceptions for certain support chains that I'll bring up once we get to them).

(Not saying you or anyone you know are armchair translators, just sharing my experience with this stuff.)

I've been way too hyper about the game recently so really I deserved it. Shouldn't have ruined a "welcome back" post with whining.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

McTimmy posted:

I've been way too hyper about the game recently so really I deserved it. Shouldn't have ruined a "welcome back" post with whining.

Trust me, it's fine. No hard feelings, and don't think of that as whining. It's just down to my own personal tiring of the subject. :shobon:

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.
I'll have a lot more to say on this paralogue much later in this LP. Glad to see you back.

It really hurts to think Mercedes and Annette had this misunderstanding between each other for 5 years.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 36.
(SSLP Test Poster version.)

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Marianne's paralogue is somewhat infamous difficulty-wise, eager to see your plan in action.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

SoundwaveAU posted:

Marianne's paralogue is somewhat infamous difficulty-wise, eager to see your plan in action.

I nearly ran out of Divine Pulse charges on it.

So look forward to that.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Am I misremembering? I thought there was some dialogue after that map starts.

And oh boy Marianne's paralogue.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
On my first BE run, I'd recruited Marianne but hadn't really used her. Her paralogue was the first time I managed to burn out my Divine Pulse charges and game over. On Normal/Casual.

Second (GD) run knowing what was what and Marianne being one of my stapled characters it was still a close call a few times.

Petra's paralogue being shared with Bernie is an interesting choice, although on the plus side they ARE in the same house. Granted, it's yet another instance of Petra just being The Best, her capacity to just notice and file away little tidbits about her friends to perk them up later is incredibly endearing to me.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I swear I must be the only person who didnt find Marianne's difficult at all

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
At this point I'm convinced that Hilda and Bernie bench press Buicks when nobody's looking.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FoolyCharged posted:

I swear I must be the only person who didnt find Marianne's difficult at all

I found her paralogue incredibly hard my first time through the game. Then I learned what the trick is to manipulate the AI and it became a cakewalk.

Annette's paralogue works the same way: very hard if you're not deliberately manipulating the AI and its triggers, but a joke if you know what will cause the AI to do what.

On the other hand, I found the Petra/Bernie paralogue pretty easy. Hubert is vulnerable to Silence (and there aren't any other notable casters on this map worth silencing) and Petra chopped him into kibble while he was helpless.

Really, learning to game the AI is the biggest difference for me between my first time through the game and subsequent playthroughs. My first game, I was able to brute force my way through most of the game (with some skin of my teeth calls like Marianne's paralogue) until the last couple of maps (Blue Lions) forced me to approach the game much more conservatively and tactically. Subsequent games with that mentality in place have been much easier.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Three Houses is kind of weird from a game design standpoint to me. There's a lot of 'gotcha' tricks in there ala the worst Fire Emblems like in the 6th one, but the divine pulse system massively alleviates it.

My first time through the map:

- Oops, reinforcements with Meteor Hubert spawns when Petra crosses into the bottom-right section. Ok Pulse, prepare for that.

- Ok, position people in the bottom-left to knock out Hubert immediately. Pull the last guy. Oops, reinforcements also spawn when all enemies are dead, and they move immediately on a counter-attack kill.

- Account for that, then I poo poo on Hubert's face.

That poo poo would be massively annoying and badly designed in the older Fire Emblems, but it actually works fine with the excessive number of Divine Pulses you get (and it really is too many in the later end of the game). I find it kind of a weird dichotomy.