Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Can anyone recommend a USB-C hub/dock thing? I bought the Hyper one the first week I got my new mac but I don't like that it doesn't have a cord because I keep my Mac on a stand and I think it's putting pressure on my USB-C ports. It also doesn't do 144hz over HDMI which sucks for me. So looking for the following:

- Attaches to computer via a cable
- don't care if it takes up 2 usb-c slots
- Can plug my power adapter into it
- At least 2 USB-A ports
- At least 2 USB-C ports
- Ethernet nice to have but not required
- Don't care about SD cards
- 144hz @ 2560x1080 over HDMI

Does such a product exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Could you just buy a USB extension cable for your existing dock?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Lazyhound posted:

Could you just buy a USB extension cable for your existing dock?

Still doesn’t solve the display stuff.

I think you want a Caldigit thing. They make a corded dongle that iirc does full 4k@60. I have a TS3 Plus and it’s excellent, but definitely overkill for what you’re asking here.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

prom candy posted:

Can anyone recommend a USB-C hub/dock thing? I bought the Hyper one the first week I got my new mac but I don't like that it doesn't have a cord because I keep my Mac on a stand and I think it's putting pressure on my USB-C ports. It also doesn't do 144hz over HDMI which sucks for me. So looking for the following:

- At least 2 USB-A ports
- At least 2 USB-C ports

If your Mac is newer than about 2016 it probably has a Thunderbolt 3 port, just use a Thunderbolt 3 dock. I have a Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 dock and it's worked great with my last two Macbook pros, hooked up via 6 foot cable so my dock is tucked away in a drawer and I don't have to look at it's ugly rear end, or the rats nest of wires coming out of it

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

prom candy posted:

- At least 2 USB-A ports
- At least 2 USB-C ports

I like my Pluggable dock. It’ll drive two 4K monitors or one 5K. Not sure about the hz though.

Plugable Thunderbolt 3 Dock with 60W Laptop Charging, DisplayPort or HDMI, 6 USB Ports, Compatible with Thunderbolt 3 MacBook and Windows Laptops https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075M1XHCK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.QqeEbJGEVXRC

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Random question about the Mac Pro- are there any GPUs on the market with TB3 ports in them? No, correct? So to use any of the Apple/LG+Apple displays with it you need an Apple-supplied graphics card. Even if you can technically pop on down to Microcenter and slap a Vega64 or whatever into it (or GTX-whatever if you bootcamp).

I guess the same thing applies to eGPUs as well. Can’t use a MacBook Pro with a Razer Core X and an LG 5K screen....

Cool cool, Apple.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hmm idk if you can afford a $3500 MacBook and a $800 egpu and a $1200 monitor I think you could spring for a $30 hmdi adapter.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

American McGay posted:

Hmm idk if you can afford a $3500 MacBook and a $800 egpu and a $1200 monitor I think you could spring for a $30 hmdi adapter.

Don’t you lose performance if you do that? I thought it locked the 5K screen at 4K60 or 5K30.

The answer is apparently to use a $70-100 TB3 card with GPU passthrough.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

or a mini display port to tb3 cable/adapter? those are pretty cheap unless I'm misunderstanding the whole thing

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Last Chance posted:

or a mini display port to tb3 cable/adapter? those are pretty cheap unless I'm misunderstanding the whole thing

AFAIK, the LG's are Thunderbolt/USB-C only, and don't have HDMI/DP ports. I know my 4K is and think the 5K is too.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

USB-C for USB 3.1 (probably 3.0 too) has a Display Port alternate mode

IIRC Display Port > HDMI

You should be able to do DP or mDP from your computer -> USB-C on the display, no problem. Cables on Amazon these days are cheeeeaaap and reliable. Cable Matters (a good brand) has them on amazon for $21 shipped, I have one (I used it USB-C to DP though), works great.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 5, 2020

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Is there any way to get the touchbar to remember that I always want to extend the display I plug in every day? Every time I go to use it to pause my music after hooking up the monitor, it's still sitting on that prompt. (hidden by the standard F-keys, natch)

edit: the stupid loving thing even asks when I wake it from sleep while still connected to the same display

Luceo fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 5, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

edit wrong laptop thread

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thanks for the hub suggestions! Some of these are wildly expensive and I think I might just buy individual adapters for the stuff I need.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can I connect a PC GPU with displayport output to an Apple thunderbolt display using some sort of adapter?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have an old 2010 MacBook Pro sitting in my basement that I broke spilling coffee on. Is there any use for this thing at all or should I just drop it off at an electronics disposal place?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

Can I connect a PC GPU with displayport output to an Apple thunderbolt display using some sort of adapter?

Thunderbolt, no. If it was Mini DisplayPort, yes

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

edit: wrong thread

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have an old 2010 MacBook Pro sitting in my basement that I broke spilling coffee on. Is there any use for this thing at all or should I just drop it off at an electronics disposal place?

As long as the display is still good you could get $50-$100 for it on eBay

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

So my BTO 16” just arrived, setup was painless given I didn’t want to do a migration. Man that 2013 15” MBP was an amazing machine, holds a special place in my heart. Anyway, the question I have is there anything cool the touchbar can do or I should know? I know it’s nothing awesome but this is my first touchbar equipped machine wondering if there’s any tips tricks to make it do something useful.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

squirrelzipper posted:

So my BTO 16” just arrived, setup was painless given I didn’t want to do a migration. Man that 2013 15” MBP was an amazing machine, holds a special place in my heart. Anyway, the question I have is there anything cool the touchbar can do or I should know? I know it’s nothing awesome but this is my first touchbar equipped machine wondering if there’s any tips tricks to make it do something useful.

Get bettertouchtool and a plugin pack like Aquatouch. Between the customizability and basic pack it extends a lot of apps.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

Get bettertouchtool and a plugin pack like Aquatouch. Between the customizability and basic pack it extends a lot of apps.

Oh cool, thank you I didn’t realize BTT did that, it’s on my install list and I used it for window gestures.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Intel announced their "Tiger Lake" cpus last night at CES and said they would have support for thunderbolt 4. I assumed TB would merge with usb after TB3 was moved into the usb4 spec. I guess TB still has some legs on it. if TB4 is coming.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

squirrelzipper posted:

Oh cool, thank you I didn’t realize BTT did that, it’s on my install list and I used it for window gestures.

GoldenChaos BTT is another touchbar alternative, although I've had to tweak the settings quite a bit.

I also love BTT's per-app gestures - I set three finger swipe up to open a new tab, swipe left/right to switch between tabs, and swipe down to close a tab. Triple click is set to middle click (open links in a tab in the background) as well. I have similar gestures for Finder, Email, and Spotify too.

Lastly, I map my capslock key to be a super key (cmd + option + ctrl + shift), and create my own function keys so I can easily change the volume/brightness without straying far from the home row.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 7, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just lol at the fact the Mac Pro doesn't have AMD parts. And also sad lol at the fact that no other big boy workstations have AMD either.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Shaocaholica posted:

Just lol at the fact the Mac Pro doesn't have AMD parts. And also sad lol at the fact that no other big boy workstations have AMD either.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I mean the CPU.

edit: :cry: vvvv

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 7, 2020

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I know you did. :twisted:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Has anyone else had issues with external monitors when waking from sleep? I have my 2016 16" mbp hooked up via HDMI to an external monitor. Starting last week or so sometimes when the display is put to sleep, when I come back it won't connect again and it seems like it's getting stuck trying to handshake or something. The display will temporarily flicker on the built-in macbook screen, and then it goes into a loop of turning the macbook screen on, but the whole screen is black, and then turning the macbook screen off completely. Unplugging and replugging the cord doesn't fix it (although if you unplug the cord the macbook screen flicks on like normal and you can use it.) Restarting the computer fixes it every time. This has happened using two different HDMI adapters on every USB port on the computer.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a new AMD Threadripper 3990x with 64 cores and 128 threads for $4,000 retail. I want a Mac Mini with that.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mu Zeta posted:

There's a new AMD Threadripper 3990x with 64 cores and 128 threads for $4,000 retail. I want a Mac Mini with that.

Haha YES! I'd be fine if it were a cube with a single full fat GPU in there too.

Actually just make a TB3/4 external GPU with the same footprint as the Mini.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't know why external gpu enclosures are so huge. They are longer than a typical itx case. If Apple ever made an external enclosure it would be compact and beautiful.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If you ignore standards and just put the GPU onto a custom PCB you can do whatever shape/form factor you want. Don't need a bracket. Don't need a PCIe interface. Like a mac mini footprint!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shaocaholica posted:

If you ignore standards and just put the GPU onto a custom PCB you can do whatever shape/form factor you want. Don't need a bracket. Don't need a PCIe interface. Like a mac mini footprint!

Even for normal gaming PCs I'd like to see a redesign of the GPU instead of being tied to some ancient thing about edge connectors and having to have 7 slots because nothing was onboard.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't know why external gpu enclosures are so huge. They are longer than a typical itx case. If Apple ever made an external enclosure it would be compact and beautiful.
Didn’t they collab with Blackmagic for their eGPU?

And now I’m reminded of the Sonnet and Lenovo box and slab eGPU/dock things with embedded GPUs.

~Coxy posted:

Even for normal gaming PCs I'd like to see a redesign of the GPU instead of being tied to some ancient thing about edge connectors and having to have 7 slots because nothing was onboard.
I’d be happy with stuff designed around short cards. And for there to be short AMD cards in general. Like everything Nvidia has a mini/nano version, AMD not so much. If any.

But speaking of big rear end eGPUs: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15290/ces-2020-lenovo-goes-egfx-with-legion-booststation-box
Comes with the usual hub stuff (USB, Ethernet), but also storage expansion in the form of an SATA port and two M2 slots. All gonna be bandwidth starved to hell but it’s something, and only $250.

...hopefully it works with Macs.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
eGPU enclosures suck because GPUs are tied to an old standard form factor that makes it difficult to suck air in and exhaust it out inline so the enclosure has to have room for it to suck from the stop/side. Also it needs its own power supply because most likey the host machine doesn't have the power to supply over the data link cable otherwise it wouldn't need a eGPU in the first place. But modern power supply design could make a pretty compact unit for a eGPU.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

~Coxy posted:

PC gaming was a mistake.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Let's see, you need a 400W power supply, full size slot, room for extra ports and maybe some fans.

Fuckers are huge though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Intel just announced Thunderbolt 4 at CES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Gay Retard posted:

Intel just announced Thunderbolt 4 at CES.

Word is that it's mostly just a rebranding of Thunderbolt 3? And Thunderbolt 3 is going to be wholesale rebranded as USB4 at some point.

Technology branding! Yay!