Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm just so loving angry about this. People who should loving know better are supporting this.
These dumb fucks don't know the cost of loving war.

Maybe I'm taking it a little more to heart than I should. But, I've got loving kids. Neither were loving alive when I invaded Iraq.

I miss when the world made sense to me.
I'm going to have a drink and watch My Name is Earl.

I think I've talked to you before when you're been angry as gently caress - don't worry so much, nobody is doing an Iraq 2. Just for practical reasons, nobody could win that and it's obvious up front. Big old cold war, yeah. Till we stop being idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm going to stick with "Who's going to pay for it?" When dealing with military types, and probably some really mean poo poo about them being chicken hawks for everyone else.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Hexyflexy posted:

I think I've talked to you before when you're been angry as gently caress - don't worry so much, nobody is doing an Iraq 2. Just for practical reasons, nobody could win that and it's obvious up front. Big old cold war, yeah. Till we stop being idiots.

Might have been, if it was on the old G chat.

It's like not even a heated angry. Like I'm just loving resigned to us committing more blood and treasure into this hole.

We should have listened to Smedley.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Chichevache posted:

Edit
Had to do it at my cousins wedding as well. And her funeral a few months ago. It's just a christian thing, not a fascist thing. This was even one of those peace and love surfing churches.

Considering a lot of Evangelicals, like those at Trump's little get together, want Christian fascism.....

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I don't know what's gonna happen next, but I do know that it's gonna be louder and dumber then we can imagine.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm going to stick with "Who's going to pay for it?" When dealing with military types, and probably some really mean poo poo about them being chicken hawks for everyone else.

"Stopping Terrorists is Priceless"
-Them, Probably

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

BigDave posted:

I don't know what's gonna happen next, but I do know that it's gonna be louder and dumber then we can imagine.

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/822504053057929218?s=20

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1213270127766056960?s=20

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Wait, I thought that it was about ethics in email administration and management, actually?

:confused:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

M_Gargantua posted:

Should we worry about Christianity's long bloody history of being fascist until its more modern era?

fascist in the sense of Fascism, or fascist in the sense of 'don't like thing'?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

joat mon posted:

I assume he is talking about meaningless wars, kingdoms, conquest, etc. but that hardly seems like a Christian phenomena to me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

joat mon posted:

Like I said, in the case of this photo: Fascist for the sake of fascist.

This is from the little Trump evangelical get together in Florida, and if they showed their face there, its a good bet those are the sort of Christians who fully endorse Christian fascism.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

CommieGIR posted:

This is from the little Trump evangelical get together in Florida, and if they showed their face there, its a good bet those are the sort of Christians who fully endorse Christian fascism.

I guess I'm confused by the "showed their face" part here.

I mean, they're white evangelical protestants so there's a fair chance a majority are fashie, fash-adjacent, or fash-apologist but the roller coaster arms isn't the tell: the "white evangelical protestant" is the tell?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

What you are saying describes South Africa during apartheid (under the National Party) pretty well. White nationalist Christian supremacy.

Oh poo poo.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

madeintaipei posted:

What you are saying describes South Africa during apartheid (under the National Party) pretty well. White nationalist Christian supremacy.

Oh poo poo.

Ruh roh

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Schadenboner posted:

the "white evangelical protestant" is the tell?

Today's speech was at the King Jesus International Ministry, a Hispanic evangelical megachurch.

"Evangelical" is the tell.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Casimir Radon posted:

I just hope I live long enough to see Christianity start to die out in the US.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bulletsponge13 posted:

Might have been, if it was on the old G chat.

It's like not even a heated angry. Like I'm just loving resigned to us committing more blood and treasure into this hole.

We should have listened to Smedley.

He would have been lambasted as a bad troop and a coward by the modern right, hth

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

lol

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Oh cool, I thought one of the conditions for being tax-exempt was to stay out of political campaign activity.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I saw the church rally on the news and another angle had most everyone on stage with their arms in the air to be nearer to Jesus or whatever the gently caress, except Trump, who just had a dumb smug grin on his face as if he were appreciating the not-actually-Nazi salute in his honor.

bird food bathtub posted:

Looks like the post-hoc justification talking points are out. Everyone in the right wing propaganda machine is vomiting the phrase "imminent attack", so someone sent that out in an email somewhere.

Is this "Saddam has WMDs" 2, Cheeto Boogaloo?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 4, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lake of Methane posted:

Oh cool, I thought one of the conditions for being tax-exempt was to stay out of political campaign activity.

I thought they literally officially announced that they would stop even pretending to enforce that back in like 2017 (for rightists, obvs, I mean let's not get crazy here...)?

Maybe not?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

He would have been lambasted as a bad troop and a coward by the modern right, hth

I really wish I would have listened to the old soldiers who warned me of these feelings. Lol

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Sooner than you think.

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/carbon-dioxide/

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

It's starting, I know a lot of the non-evangelical churches around here have been having problems the whole of the '10s. One got rid of sunday school because there weren't enough people bringing their kids in to justify keeping it, and I'm not talking a tiny congregation of 30 type church either. Granted I'm not exactly in the bible belt or anything.

Odradek
May 23, 2007

Don't hate me because I'm cute
And the countdown clock starts. Tic. Toc. Tic. Toc. How many days until Iran has a nuclear weapon? I'll never tell. But it's not forever.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Bored As gently caress posted:

We have soldiers stationed at the airport, along side Iraqi army and others.

we airstriked a facility we were helping to staff?

????

???

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Doc Hawkins posted:

we airstriked a facility we were helping to staff?

????

???

Not quite

In short Iraq is a land of contrasts

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is the Cinnabon ok?

:ohdear:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
The Pew Research Center is the gold standard on this stuff, and christianity is in decline in the US, and has been for a while: https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/in-u-s-decline-of-christianity-continues-at-rapid-pace/

But I'm pretty sure it's the moderate and even left-leaning mainline churches that are seeing the decline. So the megachurches will continue to be A Thing for a while, sadly. And since they are all in on the GOP, we are all going to have to deal with their poo poo.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

stealie72 posted:

The Pew Research Center is the gold standard on this stuff, and christianity is in decline in the US, and has been for a while: https://www.pewforum.org/2019/10/17/in-u-s-decline-of-christianity-continues-at-rapid-pace/

But I'm pretty sure it's the moderate and even left-leaning mainline churches that are seeing the decline. So the megachurches will continue to be A Thing for a while, sadly. And since they are all in on the GOP, we are all going to have to deal with their poo poo.

The moderates who go to church a dozen times a year are leaving, but the fundie true believers are doubling down.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I know, right?

I've told this story in TFR, but here goes:

I've never met a nice South African (cue song) Except for Al. My father was at a house party, talking to me on the phone, when he had to take a piss. "Hey, MiT, talk to this guy for a second." I talked to the dude for ten minutes, just bullshitting. I mentioned that I like SA food and Al said he'd send me some homemade biltong. A week later a fifteen pound box of dried, spiced meat shows up on my door from where they were. Al is alright.

Al left SA in the mid-2000's. You didn't go anywhere alone, never unarmed, always during the day. Endemic racism, constant paranoia from all sides, rampant crime, grinding poverty, insane evangelists, the losers of a civil war still starting poo poo, stop me if this sounds familiar.

gently caress, Florida is great. Love it.

(user was put on probation for this post)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Probation reason: praising florida

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

I was behind a dude with well-faded SS lightning bolts tattooed on the back of his neck at the Conoco today. I thought about what my father would say about that. I think exclaiming "What the gently caress?!", out loud would be a bad move, maybe.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

The only thing good about Florida will be when it slips under the sea

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Deserved harsher punishment IMO

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

madeintaipei posted:

I've never met a nice South African (cue song)

That's not bloody surprising, man

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/SantanaelChan/status/1213121889142525952?s=19

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

savage af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

That sure is a lot of snowflakes upset about someone's free speech