Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Nevermind.

Darkman Fanpage has a new favorite as of 05:32 on Jan 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Antivehicular posted:

Man, water faeries gotta make Uber status to get a top? Harsh.

what's funnier is in the next generation, "uber" fairy just meant they went from standard fairy outfits to flare pants (popular at the time).

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Grimes posted:

The thing about FYAD is that it has the bird thread in it, and that thread has a lot of beautiful birds in it and I like to look at them :).

Here is a Resplendent Quetzel.

pyf has birbs too!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ArfJason posted:

wait what

he wasn't the founder, but he bought a controlling interest almost immediately

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Dohring

quote:

Dohring founded Neopets, Inc. after being introduced to the Neopets.com site by a mutual friend upon its December, 1999 launch by two British college students, Adam Powell and Donna Williams.

quote:

A California native, Dohring is the youngest son of a car dealer and a homemaker. He and his wife Laurie, both Scientologists, have been married since 1979.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ArfJason posted:

wait what

Neopet's first wave of investors were scientologists. The founders of the site were British and didn't really get the whole thing. The whole company was sold to Viacom at some point the mid 2000s and I don't remember what happened after that but I think it got sold again at some point?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Fucker posted:

it wouldn't even come close to doing anything and itd be taking down a funny forum in the process for no good reason
I wouldn't call a nest of bigotry funny but you do you

Homeless Friend posted:

no amount of tomfoolery will ever forgive the fruit copout
Oh it was still a copout, but if you're gonna demand someone do that you should be willing to do so yourself.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ArfJason posted:

wait what

Neopets was run by Scientologists

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

We're working on this and will have more info in short order. Please don't use me posting in a thread as a way to ask about unrelated things. You're right that QCS needs to open, and maybe I shouldn't have participated in this at all, but that post comes off like a kyoon post except it's about fyad.

Its incredibly related, this issue has taken over this particular thread multiple times and its going to continue happening here or elsewhere without a dedicated outlet. If QCS still needs more time for whatever you guys have planned, then please just make a dedicated thread for it somewhere, anywhere

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
that's why I got no thetans, no thetans got me

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

he wasn't the founder, but he bought a controlling interest almost immediately

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Dohring

Nuns with Guns posted:

Neopet's first wave of investors were scientologists. The founders of the site were British and didn't really get the whole thing. The whole company was sold to Viacom at some point the mid 2000s and I don't remember what happened after that but I think it got sold again at some point?

hahahahaha holy poo poo

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Gives a new meaning to the phrase cult classic.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm glad I was too old for Neopets

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I wonder sometimes what the keyboard goop guy is up to.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Oh it was still a copout, but if you're gonna demand someone do that you should be willing to do so yourself.

Ideally it would have been a custom job, if eating a sole is doable there must be away. Perfect crowdfund project, just horrific enough to appease the masses.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Goon Fleet in EVE got mentioned earlier as an SA thing that was well known outside of SA.

Goon Squad in World of Warcraft was also pretty well known (although the less freeform nature of the game meant less amazing stories than in EVE).

Blizzard has even "honored" Goon Squad with items, raid bosses, and putting a goon in charge of the whole game.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Holy poo poo Neopets nostalgia

ArfJason posted:

i liked that brucey b looked completely loving stupid
lmao that was the reason I had one of those green penguins. I also had one of the little alien dudes that turned super swole for some reason? poo poo, I should go and check if my account still works

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pentaro posted:

Holy poo poo Neopets nostalgia

lmao that was the reason I had one of those green penguins. I also had one of the little alien dudes that turned super swole for some reason? poo poo, I should go and check if my account still works

Jiren was a Neopet?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Thing with Abe was the copout alone was pretty bad, but it came after the guy would just loving constantly derail shitloads of threads with abrasive mod challenges all the time, kind of just hogging all the attention. The cabal of hangers-on who'd follow him around posting smug poo poo at anyone he challenged really didn't help matters. So the copout is worse because he could dish it out but absolutely not take it.

How did that time he got loving owned by a young teenager on twitter go again?

Homeless Friend posted:

I wonder sometimes what the keyboard goop guy is up to.

Didn't that guy have an absolute ton of really gross and awful side-poo poo going on even before he gope his keyboard? I remember something about a purestrain "what the gently caress is wrong with you" level webcomic.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

Goon Fleet in EVE got mentioned earlier as an SA thing that was well known outside of SA.

Goon Squad in World of Warcraft was also pretty well known (although the less freeform nature of the game meant less amazing stories than in EVE).

Blizzard has even "honored" Goon Squad with items, raid bosses, and putting a goon in charge of the whole game.

Goons used to be infamous in freeform MMOs, you still see people freaking the gently caress out at the mere mention of SA goons because of previous bad experiences in stuff. Off the top of my head I remember that when Pathfinder Online (lol) was a thing, there was a thread on the official forums specifically about how to stop nefarious goons from pulling their shenanigans.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Zero One posted:

People said goons were trying to destroy WoW, and 15 years later Blizzard put a goon in charge which resulted in the worst received expansion in the game's history.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wasn't there a pedophile goon that ran a big online GoonSquad for some game and when his crimes went public anyone with an LLJK or GS moniker were automatically kill on site through the whole game world?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I will say I was a defender of Abe whilst he had power on the forums. As soon as he lost it I turned on him without remorse. I’ve done it to numerous mods/admins and I’ll do it again in the future.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Zero One posted:

my partner got hosed over so many times by goon fleet she quit the game and she still harbours a deep grudge against the forums as a whole for their actions so I don't talk about funny SA drama anymore bc it always turns into a blue about imaginary spaceships

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i got account after account frozen going on righteous crusades against the afghanistan war on the neopets forums. it was not a topic they allowed discussion of but i was determined to discuss it, it was the only outlet i had to tell a bunch of mostly-americans they were a pile of poo poo and well, neopets accounts are free

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

oldpainless posted:

I will say I was a defender of Abe whilst he had power on the forums. As soon as he lost it I turned on him without remorse. I’ve done it to numerous mods/admins and I’ll do it again in the future.

oldfaithless

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wasn't there a pedophile goon that ran a big online GoonSquad for some game and when his crimes went public anyone with an LLJK or GS moniker were automatically kill on site through the whole game world?

Was that the game where Tokaii ate a ban in the game thread for saying some tone-deaf poo poo regarding pedos?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Black Desert maybe? That sounds familiar. Don't think the guy ran the guild, but he played a lot if I recall.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Don Gato posted:

Goons used to be infamous in freeform MMOs
Hell, we just two months ago had someone try to reg-joing a dumb browser-based game that the goons were crushing.

Folks had been amassing their power for like months and some goons half-heartedly noodle around in it and sprang to like the #3 faction and got a bunch of people to self-ban over racist poo poo.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
in my teens i returned briefly to neopia, this time to prophesy on the forums that modern music was all poo poo and they should be listening to leonard cohen, but i only went through a few accounts that time before i got bored

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Was that the game where Tokaii ate a ban in the game thread for saying some tone-deaf poo poo regarding pedos?

You're talking about the ArcheAge drama. A guy who goonfleet knew was a pedophile had become a popular member of the ArcheAge goon guild who was good at farming crafting materials. He had been driven out of the EVE groups because he admitted to grooming a teenage Icelandic girl.

Tokaii made a long rant in the thread and asserted that 16 was scientifically the hottest age for girls.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

FilthyImp posted:

Hell, we just two months ago had someone try to reg-joing a dumb browser-based game that the goons were crushing.

Folks had been amassing their power for like months and some goons half-heartedly noodle around in it and sprang to like the #3 faction and got a bunch of people to self-ban over racist poo poo.

The same dumb browser game that spawned this?

w00tles posted:

Yes, this is for real.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

neopets drama is impossible to find. sad day

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

GulagDolls posted:

neopets drama is impossible to find. sad day

HROBI

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
This MMO talk is reminding me of CAD because i joined the CAD WoW guild ages back lmfao. Buckley would just get drunk and rampage constantly, a cool guy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

my partner got hosed over so many times by goon fleet she quit the game and she still harbours a deep grudge against the forums as a whole for their actions so I don't talk about funny SA drama anymore bc it always turns into a blue about imaginary spaceships

a powerful lesson about libertarianism, even for hypothetical amusement

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Don't poo poo on my fingerless posting gloves, weird discord guy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
hrobi and loving Antorcha

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Licarn posted:

The same dumb browser game that spawned this?

Now that Nord VPN is in cahoots with Lowtax, those chumps are totally screwed.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

It's also arguable that many of us know how to do basic math.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Hahahahahaha. Hoodies and fingerless gloves. What weird cartoon world do these people live in? That was a good laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
hrobi was a woman in, I think her 50s or something who was friends with the Neopets founders and so they'd cheat for her so hard and so obviously that at one time she had 5 neopets (where the hard limit for every other player was 4). If I recall, her stupidly overpowered Aisha, Antorcha, got the killing blow on the Monoceros, which was the culmination of the event where fighting actually became a relevant mechanic, as it had been promised for many years without implementation.