Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

I just beat Outer Wilds last night, and I can't stop thinking about it. Easily GOTY 2019 (with the caveat that I have yet to play Disco Elysium.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I love how uncompromising they decided to be with the ship physics. I saw people on reddit talking about how you should just auto-pilot everything and it made me sad. Mastering the flying was one of my favorite parts of the game, and it felt incredible to be able to nail a high-speed approach to the Hourglass Twins at the end of the game without flinging myself into the sun.

Oh well, different strokes I suppose.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Hourglass Twins are easy, now go fly to the Sun Station :jeb:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

haveblue posted:

The Hourglass Twins are easy, now go fly to the Sun Station :jeb:

You've made me curious, is it actually possible to land on the Sun Station? I gave it a try a couple times but it revolves around the sun so fast and you'd have to be right in the sun's gravity to even attempt it.

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

I like how none of the achievements you get are for anything relevant. Pretty much just "gently caress around in space and have a few laughs." Running back through and getting the achievements might be fun.

PantsBandit posted:

You've made me curious, is it actually possible to land on the Sun Station? I gave it a try a couple times but it revolves around the sun so fast and you'd have to be right in the sun's gravity to even attempt it.

A natural landing on sun station would be pretty impressive - I tried it a few times and then gave up. As daunting as it sounds, there's an achievement for it. "Hotshot."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can't literally land on the station, it's rotating too fast, but it's possible to pilot the ship close enough and with little enough relative velocity that you can bail out and jetpack your way over to the hatch which will pop the achievement.

The best way I found to do it was to get into a legit low solar orbit (you will have to eyeball this because you don't have any real instruments) and try to make a rendezvous with it. Use the landing cam on the sun so the ship automatically rotates to follow. Try to get over the plate with the spiral design on it, sometimes when I stood up from the pilot's seat the ship's internal gravity went all wacky and the plate seems to help prevent that from happening. Also use the roll buttons to get into the plane of the station's orbit before trying any of this, it makes it a lot easier.

I really do think I was only able to do this because of so much :jeb: experience.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 2, 2020

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

I love how uncompromising they decided to be with the ship physics. I saw people on reddit talking about how you should just auto-pilot everything and it made me sad. Mastering the flying was one of my favorite parts of the game, and it felt incredible to be able to nail a high-speed approach to the Hourglass Twins at the end of the game without flinging myself into the sun.

Oh well, different strokes I suppose.

100% same, I don't think I ever used autopilot unless I got up to get something. It was too much fun trying to get super efficient with reverse-thrusting at the latest possible second and barely avoiding crashing, but still always coming in hot. Gotta to make Feldspar proud :911:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I used auto pilot liberally and still had to master flight because its not very smart any way :shrug:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

I used auto pilot liberally and still had to master flight because its not very smart any way :shrug:

The fastest way to any point is a straight line. It's not the auto-pilot's fault that your pathetic organic body can't handle a little jaunt through a dying star.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

PantsBandit posted:

This is exactly how I did it. Just keep downward thrust on the "landing pad" until you're ready to bail. Your ship will tumble away but it should stay in stable orbit so you can wait for the station to sling back around to it before you jump out to meet it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGxgqUArz2E

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My issue with trying to land there is that I'm trying to station keep with the sun station but then the game decides that it's time to fling my ship out past the hour glass twins. I'm able to use my thrusters to stay near the station for a while but the game decides that's enough and forces me away. It would make sense if I were on an elliptical orbit, but I'm going the same speed as the station.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
It's definitely really difficult to get a stable orbit at that distance from the sun but it is possible. When you speed up past the periapsis of your approach, you begin creating an elliptical orbit. You can first manage a concentric orbit roughly at or slightly above the height of the sun station, but don't try to catch up to it in velocity. You can wait for the station to swing back around and speed up slowly to come close to matching the speed before it gets to you, as going faster than the station will sling you out into space. It's not possible to maintain orbit at that distance and velocity indefinitely, which is why your ship will tumble away from the station after a few moments. I suspect they did something a bit hacky with the sun station because it doesn't seem to adhere to the Newtonian physics model the rest of the game supposedly does which is why it's impossible to keep a ship docked, it's just moving slightly faster than it should be able to to maintain the orbit it's in.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Ah I guess I thought it had more significance than that...am I crazy or doesn't it crash into the sun at some point? I guess that may be related to the sun dying?

Suns expand as they get older

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I too tried for way too long to enter the Sun Station directly, and I did succeed in basically matching orbit and “getting there” with my ship a few times, but I had trouble finding the entrance and, once I did find it, I couldn’t get inside. I think if I tried it again I might be able to pull it off using the eject button, which I didn’t know about when I was first doing my attempts.

The way I did it was by flying up to the sun, about equator height, roughly 4000k away (I think that was it? It was just close enough to be able to comfortably counterbalance the sun’s gravity with occasional backwards thrusting) Then when the station would appear from the left side, I started thrusting for the right side and doing everything in my power to avoid slingshotting in an elliptical. Eventually I could get to where I was “above” the station, and slowly finagle my way down. Once you get close enough you can match velocity and by then you’ve pretty much made it.

And I did tend to use autopilot for traveling long distances, like from planet to planet, but I still did plenty of thrusting about in the ship and enjoyed that aspect of the game quite a lot. Same with the jet pack thrusters; I got really good at using a combo of a planet’s gravity and my thrusters to obtain ridiculous speeds getting around without splattering myself on a giant obelisk or whatever.

Sucks that there’s no achievements on Epic Games Launcher, otherwise I would totally 100% this game :(

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I just beat Outer Wilds last night, and I can't stop thinking about it. Easily GOTY 2019 (with the caveat that I have yet to play Disco Elysium.)

this was a great year for video games and both outer wilds and disco elysium are obvious god tier goty contenders, with the difference really being personal preference

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Quick question that google is kinda failing to answer for me here, given a choice of PS4 pro or PC which platform would you say is best suited to play this? I'm worried about performance on PS4, and controls as well. ("First person game" makes me lean PC but "spaceship game" makes me lean PS4)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I prefer it on PC compared to xbox where I first tried it. I couldn't get the fine control I wanted with a gamepad. I grew up with mouse and keyboard and that's what I'm used to. PC gives you the option of whatever control scheme you want. Also, PS4 has the save deleting crash bug that might have been fixed but I've still seen things about it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Quick question that google is kinda failing to answer for me here, given a choice of PS4 pro or PC which platform would you say is best suited to play this? I'm worried about performance on PS4, and controls as well. ("First person game" makes me lean PC but "spaceship game" makes me lean PS4)

Control-wise I'd advise controller whichever platform you play on; good controls flying a ship or in zero-G are much more important than walking around.

Performance on non-Pro PS4 felt absolutely fine to me, but admittedly I'm not sensitive to that stuff.

PS4 does currently have a relatively common save corruption bug, but perhaps surprisingly that's not as big an issue as it sounds.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm replaying this with a family member to show it off - can someone tell me the exact steps you need to do to see the new thing they patched in?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm replaying this with a family member to show it off - can someone tell me the exact steps you need to do to see the new thing they patched in?

Just wait inside the Ash Twin Project (don't remove the core) and enter the black hole that opens up shortly before the cycle ends. Then go back to the Ash Twin Project in the next loop to see the thing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

repiv posted:

Just wait inside the Ash Twin Project (don't remove the core) and enter the black hole that opens up shortly before the cycle ends. Then go back to the Ash Twin Project in the next loop to see the thing.

Gotcha thanks! I'm also gonna finally do the archaeologist trophy this time and look up whatever stuff I'm missing.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Also, since it's come up earlier in the thread, once you've seen the thing, don't go to wherever you believe the endgame is, because apparently that can lock you in a permanent failed save. You'll need to accomplish a full loop where you don't see the thing at all before you attempt a final lap.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
This waiting at campfires... it's not the same as meditating to end the loop, right? Is it something you activate on a campfire? How did I miss this if so?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

This waiting at campfires... it's not the same as meditating to end the loop, right? Is it something you activate on a campfire? How did I miss this if so?

Waiting at campfires unlocks after dying twice. You go up to it and press whatever the button prompt is (I think it is R on PC). It goes to a screen with a timer on it and you let it run for however many minutes you want. Meditating just goes straight to the end.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

As for how you missed it, they patched campfire waiting in after launch so it might not have been in yet when you played.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Chev posted:

Also, since it's come up earlier in the thread, once you've seen the thing, don't go to wherever you believe the endgame is, because apparently that can lock you in a permanent failed save. You'll need to accomplish a full loop where you don't see the thing at all before you attempt a final lap.

Does that include opening the map? Since after you do the thing it shows you being in two places at once

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I prefer it on PC compared to xbox where I first tried it. I couldn't get the fine control I wanted with a gamepad. I grew up with mouse and keyboard and that's what I'm used to. PC gives you the option of whatever control scheme you want. Also, PS4 has the save deleting crash bug that might have been fixed but I've still seen things about it.

NRVNQSR posted:

Control-wise I'd advise controller whichever platform you play on; good controls flying a ship or in zero-G are much more important than walking around.

Performance on non-Pro PS4 felt absolutely fine to me, but admittedly I'm not sensitive to that stuff.

PS4 does currently have a relatively common save corruption bug, but perhaps surprisingly that's not as big an issue as it sounds.

Thanks for the feedback ! I'll grab it on PS4 and switch to PC if I really can't get used to the controls.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

ymgve posted:

Does that include opening the map?
I have no idea, that's a super interesting question! I suspect not.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

One thing that's kind of fun, if you stand at the Ash Twin core and look straight ahead you end up perfectly aligned to all the travelers as it rotates.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

On my replay I just very embarrassingly discovered that I never properly solved the Quantum Moon and had no idea how to reliably get to the north pole. Oops! (We finally figured it out)

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Just finished this and I feel like I had the same roller coaster of emotions that a lot of other people did. I started out so totally in love with the game that I wanted to take a sick day from work just so I could play it more, then got so frustrated with parts of it that I considered just watching the ending on youtube. I'm glad I did finish it myself because the ending is very lovely, even though it kind of felt like walking through someone's Garry's Mod level. Excellent game, but if I fell into the core of brittle hollow one more time I swear to God lol.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just beat it again and im crying again wtf even is this game

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

It's very good.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Regy Rusty posted:

I didn't cry the first time I played it, but the second playthrough on PS4 I had the music blasting in my headphones and was playing in the dark, late at night by myself, and actually found Solanum that time, which I hadn't the previous time I'd beaten the game, and also I knew what to do so I wasn't as panicked/anxious. But all of it hit me and I was sitting there crying, not like The Last Guardian levels of tears, but it got me.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 4, 2020

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
does anyone know what the orange spirals in the nomai text denote? still havent figured that one out

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I think they only appear in remote converations; they indicate that that particular message was sent to this board from another location.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

PantsBandit posted:

One thing that's kind of fun, if you stand at the Ash Twin core and look straight ahead you end up perfectly aligned to all the travelers as it rotates.

There is an achievement/trophy for doing that.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Any chance I can get a spoiler free hint?

My rumor board is I think almost completely full, I just don't know how to get into the Ash Twin Project.

I've got coordinates, and a ship to put them in, but I think that ship also needs an advanced warp core, and I know where one is, but I don't know how to get to it.

Just a small hint would help. I've waited pretty much a full cycle sitting around on the ash twin, but even when the sand's all gone it seems like there's still no way to get to the center of the planet.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Scholtz posted:

My rumor board is I think almost completely full, I just don't know how to get into the Ash Twin Project.

I've got coordinates, and a ship to put them in, but I think that ship also needs an advanced warp core, and I know where one is, but I don't know how to get to it.

Just a small hint would help. I've waited pretty much a full cycle sitting around on the ash twin, but even when the sand's all gone it seems like there's still no way to get to the center of the planet.

The Nomai didn't put any cracks or openings in that core, they made sure. But they also don't seem the sort to not leave themselves backdoors...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Scholtz posted:

The clearest hints for that are the ones from the Black Hole Forge. I don't remember whether the rumor board summary has enough information or whether you might need to revisit it, though.