Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I've been reading and watching stuff from the past that I never got around to when it first came out and it sucks to be reminded how phobic the world was 15 years ago. I'm watching the machinist and it opens with a trans sex worker joke. I'm finishing 100 bullets and it has way more homo and transphobic commentary than can be justified by just trying to flavor the characters as scum bags.

so much lauded stuff was so casually bigoted :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
well the machinist was tedious and stupid.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The MUMPSorceress posted:

I've been reading and watching stuff from the past that I never got around to when it first came out and it sucks to be reminded how phobic the world was 15 years ago. I'm watching the machinist and it opens with a trans sex worker joke. I'm finishing 100 bullets and it has way more homo and transphobic commentary than can be justified by just trying to flavor the characters as scum bags.

so much lauded stuff was so casually bigoted :sigh:

oh god yes it is awful.

like the bigotry often had zero reason to be there but they went out of there way to include it. sitcoms were especially bad about it and if there was a single character there was almost certainly going to be a transphobic joke or even entire episode where the existence of trans people is the punchline.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's real hard watching old comedies sometimes

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
i work in laboratory medicine (hospital lab). my workplace is doing rainbow badges/lanyards, for anyone who supports LGBTQ+ people. you sign a pledge, print out the certificate, and swap the printout for a badge. i've pinned mine to my lab coat. it feels great to just.... be out, talk about my partner, and be gay, do science. i feel a little better about the world every time i spot a colleague with a rainbow badge or lanyard.

my colleagues had me help with a terminology question, too. we had a hormone panel for a trans patient, but our records system only has a single marker, for biological sex (which sucks). they wanted to make sure they interpret the data correctly, so they asked me the definition of trans man.

i feel like i've arrived?
now i want to make sure others can feel this happy and free, even if their experience or expression differs from mine

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Was just at my Pre-op appointment with Satterwhite and another patient was a state prisoner. They had 5 loving cops with her and she wasn't allowed to have her exam room door closed and half the cops were male. gently caress you Kamala

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
gently caress that poo poo

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

got my first prescription for testosterone blockers, biohacking my body and getting illegal in some countries, i have become a real cyberpunk

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

RustyKnight posted:

got my first prescription for testosterone blockers, biohacking my body and getting illegal in some countries, i have become a real cyberpunk

congrats :toot:

animist
Aug 28, 2018

RustyKnight posted:

:yeah:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

RustyKnight posted:

Hell yeah

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
welp, looks like first estrogen injection is scheduled for the 3rd.

hoping i'm not going to regret this :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

speaking of I’m on loving like 6mg a day and I’m only at 50 blood estrogen. that feels like a stupid high number of pills for a low blood e.

how are injections? hard to do? do I need to get it done by someone for me?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

speaking of I’m on loving like 6mg a day and I’m only at 50 blood estrogen. that feels like a stupid high number of pills for a low blood e.

how are injections? hard to do? do I need to get it done by someone for me?

if you do them on yourself you generally have to do them on your thigh which is slightly harder / more dangerous than having someone else there who can do them on your butt. i've got a few friends who do their own though and they've never had problems with it so :shrug:

my wife started out on injections that I administered and that went fine for like 8 months, but estrogen has the weird side effect of increasing your sensitivity to pinpoint pain so they eventually became intolerably painful for her and she had to switch to pills. ymmv

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

my primary concern is that’s a lotta fuckin pills for not much benefit

injections don’t sound too difficult but that note about “more dangerous” worries me. dangerous how?

if I have chubby thighs am I hosed?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
~my boyfriend~ does he own t shots and has thicc thighs and he's been a-okay

biggest dangers are either accidentally getting air in or accidentally getting into a vein from what he says

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 23, 2020

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Has it always been like that or is this a dip?

They kept bumping mine up until I created 100.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

~my boyfriend~ does he own t shots and has thicc thighs and he's been a-okay

biggest dangers are either accidentally getting air in and accidentally getting into a vein from what he says

yeah the vein thing is the danger I'm talking about, with butt injections there's an enormous easy to locate safe zone without any particularly big veins anywhere nearby, while in the thigh the safe zone is smaller. it's not that big a deal though as long as you're shown the right way to do it and follow the rules

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

this might be useful https://www.bd.com/documents/in-service-materials/syringes-and-needles/MPS_HY_Principles-of-injection-technique_IM_EN.pdf

it's pretty easy to hit yourself imo, people tend to get squicked out cause of needles. read up on and become familiar with your anatomy (muscles and veins / arteries etc)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Has it always been like that or is this a dip?

They kept bumping mine up until I created 100.

we’ve been doing labs very rarely (like less than 1/year) but it’s not a dip, this is a bump up from like 37

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

should I go straight to injections or keep chugging more pills?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I'd seriously consider it because that seems really low for 6mg, but I dunno what levels should be post-orchi.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

try subbing the pills if you don’t already? idk

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

sublingual you mean? I did that and then was told doing it sublingually is effectively the same as oral by my doctor

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

afaik subbing is more bioavailable, and you also get around some loss associated with 1st pass metabolism. of course there still is a bunch of variability in how individuals react to things, but if you haven’t tried it and your levels are low you should do so. and uh, it sucks that you can’t expect your doc to really “know” things, but, that’s part of the Trans Experience™️ i guess

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

I mean, I see you said you subbed, but idk for how long, and if you got to see the numbers associated with that roa at a reasonable time scale (like say, after 3 months of doing so). id prolly try to get a bloodwork requisition to see if changing your ROA has a measurable effect on levels, if they were that low for me I’d lose it if I had to wait a year. still tho, injection is great and would indeed get you where you wanted, I’d switch to it myself if my insurance covered it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I did sublingual all these past 12 years then switched to oral (just swallowing the pills) 3 months before the test

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

fellas is it normal to be completely devoid of emotion on blockers, not even anger, not even fear of death that I always had when depression hit me really hard, just feel bad but can't pinpoint why

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's real hard watching old comedies sometimes

God, this.

Ace Ventura was on the TV in the break room the other night, and while I knew it was bad, I did not accurately remember how bad.

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

Łódź Province has declared itself as protecting traditional families, what that basically means they signed a paper declaring they will do anything to protect traditional families from wrong ideologies, it's another loving state in this country, that means that approximately 31% of population lives in areas that declare themselves LGBTQIAP+ free, Kurwa Mać. And to salt the wound it was singed day after 75th anniversary of closing down Auschwitz death camp.

heres a handy map of all administrative regions which signed that, with my family area of Bielsko Biała in red (meaning they signed one of these) an Żywiec in yellow (meaning that it is yet to receive official statement from local authorities) https://atlasnienawisci.pl/?fbclid=IwAR2a38K-XfZLvQCkLFTaHvpiYzQM3tSJEOzyJtjpVkmYTKKFWf4skaX0Yzo

People generally aren't that bad, it is mostly ruling party politicians who just sign anything with word "familly" and "traditional" in it, but I am still counting on bailing to Germany or somewhere to the west.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

those of us who take estradiol sublingually: do you also end up swallowing a lot of it? it feels really unavoidable that the estradiol ends up dissolving into saliva and getting swallowed instead of the intended dissolving into the flesh. is that just the type of pill i have?

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

those of us who take estradiol sublingually: do you also end up swallowing a lot of it? it feels really unavoidable that the estradiol ends up dissolving into saliva and getting swallowed instead of the intended dissolving into the flesh. is that just the type of pill i have?

not me? but maybe i'm just practiced at holding poo poo under my tongue for a lot of minutes.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

RustyKnight posted:

Łódź Province has declared itself as protecting traditional families, what that basically means they signed a paper declaring they will do anything to protect traditional families from wrong ideologies, it's another loving state in this country, that means that approximately 31% of population lives in areas that declare themselves LGBTQIAP+ free, Kurwa Mać. And to salt the wound it was singed day after 75th anniversary of closing down Auschwitz death camp.

heres a handy map of all administrative regions which signed that, with my family area of Bielsko Biała in red (meaning they signed one of these) an Żywiec in yellow (meaning that it is yet to receive official statement from local authorities) https://atlasnienawisci.pl/?fbclid=IwAR2a38K-XfZLvQCkLFTaHvpiYzQM3tSJEOzyJtjpVkmYTKKFWf4skaX0Yzo

People generally aren't that bad, it is mostly ruling party politicians who just sign anything with word "familly" and "traditional" in it, but I am still counting on bailing to Germany or somewhere to the west.

here we have an officially sanctioned government license plate you can buy with "FAMILY FIRST" on it and what is very clearly the anti-gay-marriage one man / one woman logo in case you want to tell everyone behind you in traffic that you're a complete rear end in a top hat

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

trashy owl posted:

not me? but maybe i'm just practiced at holding poo poo under my tongue for a lot of minutes.

my mouth just immediately salivates whenever i have something in it and the pill dissolves and gets everywhere :mad:

but I think I found some spots where I can put it and it won’t go everywhere!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

went to a concert on saturday, someone in the audience yelled trans rights between songs and the lead singer said it too in response and everyone cheered :3:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shame Boy posted:

went to a concert on saturday, someone in the audience yelled trans rights between songs and the lead singer said it too in response and everyone cheered :3:

What band?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

iospace posted:

What band?

AJJ. i never really interpreted them as a particularly queer band (just a lefty band) but there were quite a lot of queer fans there, and now that i think about it one of the new songs on the new album this tour is promoting is "Body Terror" which, while not explicitly being about trans issues, sure does have a lot of trans energy. the chorus is "i'm so sorry that you have to have a body" which, yeah, mood.

also at the beginning they came out kinda sneakily to watch the opening band with the audience and hung out right next to me which was cool as heck :3:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

AJJ really is great, I think I’ve seen them more times live than anyone else.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i can't wait to start going to concerts with my boyfriend

i just need a loving job lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
I got AJJ mixed up with Brian Jonestown Massacre and my brain was trying to jam them together into Andrew Jonestown Jazzacre. new project name right there

I used to be in a band with another bi, but there was a pretty rough falling-out I'm still dealing with. maybe i'll link something if the album i helped work on ever gets released