Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Nameless construction worker who got snuffed in the latest Crisis ain't even gonna be mourned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

This is why people gamble with getting powers. Even if you're a C-list superhero/villain, the odds of you surviving -- or even coming back from the dead -- increase a thousandfold.

Nameless construction worker who got snuffed in the latest Crisis ain't even gonna be mourned.

Yeah, as previously mentioned, Gwenpool got the right idea the minute she realized she was in a comic

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I never realized Cousin Itt could be so threatening.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Knormal posted:

I never realized Cousin Itt could be so threatening.

Don't let the squeaky voice and Casanova demeanor fool you, he is an Addams.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Darthemed posted:

Batman: Shadow of the Bat Annual #3 (1995)

This is the sound Batman is making in that last panel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du-TY1GUFGk&t=2s

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

(You're all probably aware that) There's an excellent Astro City storyline about this issue. The Nearness of You.

There's an excellent sequel story to The Nearness of You in the most recent Astro City run, where the protagonist leads a support group for people who've lost loved ones to superhero drama. Astro City good.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Android Blues posted:

There's an excellent sequel story to The Nearness of You in the most recent Astro City run, where the protagonist leads a support group for people who've lost loved ones to superhero drama. Astro City good.

Yeah that one is really moving too. The three parter? I liked it a lot and as much as I would have melted if it had somehow ended with Miranda coming back I get that the ending is basically perfect as is. I don't teach superhero comics much (really I don't teach comics much at all although I'm doing a Carta Monir minicomic this semester) but if I were to incorporate more The Nearness of You would be on the shortlist.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Archyduchess posted:

Yeah that one is really moving too. The three parter? I liked it a lot and as much as I would have melted if it had somehow ended with Miranda coming back I get that the ending is basically perfect as is. I don't teach superhero comics much (really I don't teach comics much at all although I'm doing a Carta Monir minicomic this semester) but if I were to incorporate more The Nearness of You would be on the shortlist.

I'd go with Tarnished Angel. But you can't really go wrong with Astro City.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

My biggest complaint with (older) Astro City was the Confessor naming his sidekick "Altar Boy" instead of "the Acolyte", which is a superior name on all levels. But really, that's all I have to complain about when I decide to read something from the first four trades.*

The Nearness of You competes with Samaritan's introduction as my favorite AC story. Great stuff.

Haven't kept up religiously with the later stuff but everything I've read is gold. It's almost the Platonic Form of a Comic Book.

(* I know what he was going for with the Mock Turtle, but I sometimes think a whole issue was too much so we'll call it 1.5 complaints. But I suppose it wouldn't have had the same impact without the full issue. Maybe he could have told intertwined stories, introducing a local up-and-comer who got by on his brawn and toughness as a counterpoint, for that issue?)

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Astro City, with its messages about comics and superheroes and humanity, is what Grant Morrison, Geoff Johns, and the rest of DC wish their recent "high concept" meta-narrative series and Crises could be.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Kurui Reiten posted:

Astro City, with its messages about comics and superheroes and humanity, is what Grant Morrison, Geoff Johns, and the rest of DC wish their recent "high concept" meta-narrative series and Crises could be.

:yeah:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Where are my Astro City OSHCs?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Admiralty Flag posted:

The Nearness of You competes with Samaritan's introduction as my favorite AC story. Great stuff.

ITS 7:31 AM

you didnt have to make me cry

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I'd heard about Astro City before but looking into it now, I'm disappointed to find out it's not, like, the Astro Boy expanded universe.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

That would be Pluto!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Archyduchess posted:

That would be Pluto!

Which, for the record, is also loving excellent. Yes, it's manga, but it is an immensely excellent stand-alone story from the same person responsible for the similarly excellent Monster.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

As the resident manga-disliker, I can vouch for Monster being Very Good. It's a shame the multiple attempts to turn it into a live action series have all fizzled out.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

As the resident manga-disliker, I can vouch for Monster being Very Good. It's a shame the multiple attempts to turn it into a live action series have all fizzled out.

The Monster cartoon is extremely good, though.

I liked the start of Urakawa's Twentieth Century Boys, though I feel like it got stuck in one of those wheel spinning ruts that Japanese comics often stumble into. I also liked his Yawara, but I'm not sure about the English availability of that one since my books for it are all in Japanese.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Random Stranger posted:

The Monster cartoon is extremely good, though.

I liked the start of Urakawa's Twentieth Century Boys, though I feel like it got stuck in one of those wheel spinning ruts that Japanese comics often stumble into. I also liked his Yawara, but I'm not sure about the English availability of that one since my books for it are all in Japanese.

Twentieth Century Boys and Billy Bat have some incredible moments, but they are very frustrating to read. Urasawa likes to pull these same tricks of like leading up to a big reveal, then skipping past it, then suddenly revealing it and using it to tease yet another big mystery that you have to wait another 20 chapters to resolve. It all comes together in the end, but getting there is a bit aggravating.

The reason that Pluto is so good is that it's relatively short and to the point. Also it's just a really good story about robots that will make you cry.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

Monster was really atmospheric as well as incredibly well researched.

The biggest drawback was how no person made an AMV of the series and set it to the song “Monster” by the Automatics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7X3LYGV_N8

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Pluto is great, I wish there was a way to read it on the Kindle. :(

The Astro Boy story that inspired it is a fun read, too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1214264962769571840?s=20

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

WOAH Hey! post that smut somewhere else

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

WOAH Hey! post that smut somewhere else

We're all consenting adult skeletons here.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Adventures into the Unknown #17 (1951)

Marvel Premiere #3 (1972)

Marvel Feature #11 (1973)

Spidey Super Stories #12 (1975)

The Inhumans #3 (1976)

Machine Man #16 (1980)

The Sensational She-Hulk #4 (1989)

Animal Man #37 (1991)

Batman: Shadow of the Bat Annual #5 (1997)

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #21 (2017)

Plus a right-to-left manga panel pair.

Occult Academy (2010)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bobby no!

New Mutants #5 is p good

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 9, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Rod Reis is so good but I want to point out in particular how rare it is to see someone who is not Chris Bachalo successfully sell a Chris Bachalo design as in any way cool looking.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Archyduchess posted:

Rod Reis is so good but I want to point out in particular how rare it is to see someone who is not Chris Bachalo successfully sell a Chris Bachalo design as in any way cool looking.

Honestly, he draws it better than Bachalo did.

I love it that Magik is loving terrifying, because she should be given her history and power set.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
cant believe magik is racist (im assuming shes happy theyre not human because she gonna kill them)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

cant believe magik is racist (im assuming shes happy theyre not human because she gonna kill them)
According to the the laws of Krakoa she can't kill humans.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
institutional racism is literal huh

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The laws were designed for a mutant nation that has functional immortality. Someone drawing up the laws decided that since mutants were immortal, it'd be wrong to be able to kill humans, so they got that human protecting law into the basic tenets of Krakoan law, with the understanding that it applies to humans vs mutants.

What they didnt count on was Magik going to space to murder aliens. Letter of the law!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Archyduchess posted:

He’s so good, he drew that issue in two days according to Hickman. That’s why those pages don’t have backgrounds.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Edit: Double post

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Open Marriage Night posted:

He’s so good, he drew that issue in two days according to Hickman. That’s why those pages don’t have backgrounds.

He didn't. https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1215061152415277057?s=20

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Kirby would’ve done it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Kirby would’ve done it.

And had time left over to beat up some skinheads.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Uphill both ways, etc

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
From Magnificent Ms. Marvel #11, what do you do if your costume turns against you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
I know they're not human because every human knows that if someone asks you if you're a human you say "YES"!