Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I thought he obsessed over babs bunny rather than the skunk, but it turns out it was the voice actress for both. Also, holy poo poo that might be the most 2003 internet thing ive ever read.

All Your Base references make me die a little every time i see them now.

What you say !!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Burning Beard posted:

The full version is on YouTube. The Russian company that owns the rights to all Tarcovskys movies out them all up for free.

Perfect, thanks, I’ll check it out!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Stalker is even more of a must see than Solaris. A completely unique film the likes of which we have not and probably will never see again. I own 20 or 30 Criterions but if I had to choose just one it would probably be Stalker.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I really enjoyed the naturalistic acting and directing

There are a few moments in tarkovksy's films where the actor accidentally drops or fumble with something, that the camera keeps going while it's being sorted really adds to a sense of verisimilitude

This whole sequence with the railcar is great
(33:00)
https://youtu.be/Kgocncu6MBw

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of a bit in Star Trek DS9 where Kira's demonstrating the differences between Federation and Cardassian phaser rifles and talking about the Federation one being fiddly overengineered and gimmicky, and the battery pack falls out of the prop as she does.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In blazing saddles one of my favourite jokes is when Heady brings Bart to the governor and the governor accidentally starts talking to Bart.
"Have you gone berserk?! Can't you see that man is a ni- ... Sorry, wrong person!"

Then he grabs heady and repeats himself: "Have you gone berserk?! Can't you see that man is a nit?"

I just love how he sets up the joke and then subverts it at the last second.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Arcsquad12 posted:

In blazing saddles one of my favourite jokes is when Heady brings Bart to the governor and the governor accidentally starts talking to Bart.
"Have you gone berserk?! Can't you see that man is a ni- ... Sorry, wrong person!"

Then he grabs heady and repeats himself: "Have you gone berserk?! Can't you see that man is a nit?"

I just love how he sets up the joke and then subverts it at the last second.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

What the hell are you worried about? This is 1874. You'll be able to sue *her*.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

He just wants to be called by his correct name. Names are important.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

CzarChasm posted:

The fact that Hedy Lamarr did sue Brooks, and his settlement included an apology for “almost” using her name, was a subtle legal moment.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This isn't super subtle.
In Catch Me If You Can when Tom Hanks' character is talking to Frank's mom, his FBI partner is nervously trying to get a fork to eat some Sara Lee cheesecake. After several failed attempts, Tom takes a fork without breaking eye contact with Frank's mom and hands it to his partner in a sort of stabbing motion.

He gets a little twinge of "Come the gently caress on, dude".

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nth Doctor posted:

On Thursday, a friend pointed out that if That 70's Show, which debuted in 1998 and was set in 1976 were to be made today, it would be set in 1997.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Arrath posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck me.

Also in the same vein, if the Wonder Years were moved to now, I believe it'd be looking back to around 2000-2005.

Ugh.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also in the same vein, if the Wonder Years were moved to now, I believe it'd be looking back to around 2000-2005.

Ugh.

God dammit.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
2000 doesn't seem so long ago except I bought a 24 inch CRT for about $400 back then and my cell phone had an antenna. So it was like a whole other world.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ugh.

Not quite that terrible, they were always just set 20 years earlier.

So who’s ready for a TV show nostalgic about 2000? Great ready for the shocking twist during the family trip to New York late in season 2!

We’re all old. :smith:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I think it "helped" that whenever Wonder Years came on as a kid, it was reruns. So the show and the time period it portrayed were further apart.

Then I would change the channel, as Wonder Years loving sucked.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
In Up, when the dogs in biplanes give their callsigns they're "grey one" etc and when they're spotting red/blue cars at the end Doug says "there's a grey one" because dogs only see in black and white (according to popular belief at least). Can't believe I just noticed that :v:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm pretty sure that if That 70's Show were to be made today it would probably still be set in the 70s

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Because that 90s show already happened

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

datajugend posted:

Because that 90s show already happened

I remember commercials for that running about 12 times per Simpsons rerun and my entire impression of That 90s Show is some dork screaming I'M ON A CELLULAR PHONE.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pastry of the Year posted:

I remember commercials for that running about 12 times per Simpsons rerun and my entire impression of That 90s Show is some dork screaming I'M ON A CELLULAR PHONE.

Pretty sure that was That 80's Show

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Len posted:

oh god drat it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Len posted:

Ironically given what he was saying, That 90's Show was actually a Simpsons episode.

It's one of the most widely loathed Simpsons episodes, the one that shifted the timeline of Homer and Marge's high school days to be in the 90s instead of the 70s.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

Ironically given what he was saying, That 90's Show was actually a Simpsons episode.

It's one of the most widely loathed Simpsons episodes, the one that shifted the timeline of Homer and Marge's high school days to be in the 90s instead of the 70s.

Am I misremembering the ad for That 80s Show that was a guy yelling "ITS NOT A PAY PHONE IT'S A CELLULAR PHONE"?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The first commercially available cellphone was in 1983 so probably not.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
If they remade That 70s Show today it would be That 90s Show: a shot for shot remake of Friends

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sounds good to me(and most of the world)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

beanieson posted:

If they remade That 70s Show today it would be That 90s Show: a shot for shot remake of Friends

Could you be any more correct?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

VideoGames posted:

Could you be any more correct?

*bumps fists together sideways at you and makes a face*

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
I remember kind of liking that 80s show, it had some potential. Still glad it was cancelled, because if it was successful we probably would have never gotten It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The new Doom movie has a nod to a character dying that I don’t want to spoil (bj blazcowicz). A little detail only real gamers are gonna notice

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

More like oldtagsless.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

oldpainless posted:

The new Doom movie has a nod to a character dying that I don’t want to spoil (bj blazcowicz). A little detail only real gamers are gonna notice

A friend of mine watched that and was kind of amazed at how bafflingly dumb, dull and bad it was while also making obscure references.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's a good DOOM movie, but not a good movie, if that makes any sense.

More faithful to the game than the Urban/Rock movie, but... yea not exactly awash in great acting or plot or anything else. Still, neat story. It's on netflix if anyone wants to watch it.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I'll never see it, just tell me what they do to my man, the immortal Nazi killer with a robot body. Shot in the head by Mars Hitler in the first five minutes?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
None of the new Wolfenstein games are the real one.

And the new movie was more faithful to the game, but the highest monster type they get to is loving imps. So it's just 1-1 and 1-2.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
all i remember about that doom movie was that they spent 99% of the budget on the cgi at the end

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's a good DOOM movie, but not a good movie, if that makes any sense.

More faithful to the game than the Urban/Rock movie, but... yea not exactly awash in great acting or plot or anything else. Still, neat story. It's on netflix if anyone wants to watch it.

This makes perfect sense. How do you make a movie based on Doom? Simple.

How do you make a good movie based on Doom? Ok, wait, now....

After the other Doom movie, I remember thinking 'Why didn't they just make it about demons from hell? How hard would that have been? It's ominous, it's scary, it's completely ridiculous, but at least it's faithful to the source material.' Is the new one about demons from hell? If so, great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
I kind of find it baffling when they create a movie that is so far removed from the original source material as to be basically its own property in the first place.

Those licenses cost money, you might as well farking use it properly otherwise just churn out a bunch of garbage that will make money anyway.