Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Leal posted:

Components: 500 silver
Food: Whatever you can find, chump
Plasteel: 800 silver
Arctic Wolves: 5,000 silver

someone who is good at the economy please help my colonists are starving

feed the excess colonists to the wolves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

We're gonna need more colonists

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Leal posted:

Components: 500 silver
Food: Whatever you can find, chump
Plasteel: 800 silver
Arctic Wolves: 5,000 silver

someone who is good at the economy please help my colonists are starving

Sell drugs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HelloSailorSign posted:

Holy poo poo that's a great idea about T1 androids, I hadn't even thought about sticking them in a highly limited zone.

I even give mine dusters and hats.

Out of the tiers, what's the opinion on which ones are good for using as a military force? T3s seem logical to me, though a bit pricey - T2s easier to replace and almost as good. Maybe the T3s are the big/special weapons (snipers, miniguns) while T2s are rifles and shotguns?

I did get my poo poo wrecked by an android raid when I scoffed at the ~8 T3s and few T2s and 2 T4s carrying mostly auto pistols. Pistols? lol what are they going to... hold on they're hitting someone with every shot wtf. It was only after I ran my melee animal handler in with their duo of mammoths and 6 yorkies that the tide turned.

All because I let someone's kinda crappy sister escape the android horde. :-\

I use combat extended so it's a bit different for me. T3s are markedly larger than humans (size 1.4) which means they can carry more and have more hitpoints, they also come with a decent bit of armour and can be kitted out with some basic mods like an armoured frame. They also perform equivalent to a human, which is probably desirable. On the other hand they're really tall so they can't fit behind the combat extended cover so easily :v:

But T3 is probably best yeah, they're more expensive but they're certainly tougher than humans. T2s probably make decent chaff but if you've got good quality equipment i'd probably put it on a T3.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Oh god

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

OwlFancier posted:

I use combat extended so it's a bit different for me. T3s are markedly larger than humans (size 1.4) which means they can carry more and have more hitpoints, they also come with a decent bit of armour and can be kitted out with some basic mods like an armoured frame. They also perform equivalent to a human, which is probably desirable. On the other hand they're really tall so they can't fit behind the combat extended cover so easily :v:

But T3 is probably best yeah, they're more expensive but they're certainly tougher than humans. T2s probably make decent chaff but if you've got good quality equipment i'd probably put it on a T3.

Have you used the T4s much? I find myself always putting off building any because they take so much stuff and time to build. I've got a powerplant to expand dammit

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

It's really annoying having to manually gear up my colony of 17 for raids. Any tips? It would be nice if I could just click a button and everyone just rallied and geared up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Danaru posted:

Have you used the T4s much? I find myself always putting off building any because they take so much stuff and time to build. I've got a powerplant to expand dammit

I haven't at all actually because yeah, fuckin ai core to build one. I haven't had any of those drop for ages.

The ones that show up in raids though have incredible stats, like a huge buff to global work speed, slightly smaller than a T3 though, not sure about the armour but I think it's better than a T3.

arbybaconator posted:

It's really annoying having to manually gear up my colony of 17 for raids. Any tips? It would be nice if I could just click a button and everyone just rallied and geared up.

Haven't tried it but there's a mod called Defensive Positions that supposedly puts people into position.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761219125&searchtext=defensive+positons

Not sure if there's one for gear though. And heavy armour has a long delay to put it on anyway so you'd struggle. Your other option is to switch them to combat outfits, then draft/undraft everyone to reset their AI and they should beeline for their new clothes.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 3, 2020

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Gear up and go is what you want.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly just keep everyone in combat gear unless they absolutely have to have some specialized modded work clothes or hostile environment outfits or whatever. There's a speed penalty but it's not that big a deal most of the time and it's better than being caught with your plasteel britches down.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
At this point I'm considering building a T4 android to put my current T3 droid into. He has a perfect 20 construction skill since as it turns out, when you dont need to eat or sleep, you can do a LOT of wall smoothing :v:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Having everyone in a flak vest/flak pants, with a helmet is what I do. Then I put the good armor in a specific outfit that I flip onto my fighters before fights.

I didn't know there were mods to make this easier/better.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Danaru posted:

At this point I'm considering building a T4 android to put my current T3 droid into. He has a perfect 20 construction skill since as it turns out, when you dont need to eat or sleep, you can do a LOT of wall smoothing :v:

Stuff a basic labour chip into him, it has a specific boost to smoothing.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Love me some T2 droids chipping chunks in to blocks or cooking/butchering then cleaning/hauling when work orders are done. I just do not understand how to use tier 3/4 androids. They come with the mood requirements of normal pawns but have extremely limited means of giving them boosts. No sleep so no bedroom bonus, stuff like that. I also did a quest that popped up and had a T5 android around for awhile. Third time they snapped and started punching people's limbs off I dog piled the poo poo out of them and just kept going until I could put them in a sarcophagus. Just cannot get the hang of higher tier androids.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fully sapient droids are a tricky one, yes. They still get all the benefits of fancy rec/dining rooms/beauty and meal quality, but don't have comfort/sleep needs. I generally assign them one work shift with the rest of the colony, and one when everyone's asleep, with big, 3-4 hour recreation spots in between when everyone's in the rec room. To max out their recreation as much as possible. You're still getting lots more work out of them than normal colonists. They can struggle to get really happy but they also don't have as many problems at the end of the day, really the only thing you need to do is make sure they have plenty of recreation, they have nothing else that runs out over time like hunger/sleep needs.

Actual T5s are a big challenge though, with the ++ expansion however you can overwrite their minds with a regular colonist/droid and they will no longer hate everything but retain their cognitive faculties.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 4, 2020

Griz
May 21, 2001

Danaru posted:

I got a T4 from a prisoner rescue quest, he has 10% better armor than the T3 and even faster base speed.

upgraded T3 seems plenty good, making fancy parts only costs plasteel/adv components and eventually you end up with a dude with 60/40 base armor who can wear clothes and whatever heavy armor on top of that and still run twice as fast as a human.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Griz posted:

I got a T4 from a prisoner rescue quest, he has 10% better armor than the T3 and even faster base speed.

Slick, I originally made the T4 surrogate I have in space for my marksman to beam into and drop onto enemy outposts, but the local bandit groups have been quiet lately :v: honestly the main reason I bothered with the T4 was because I had an Archotech part that can only be slapped into T4s and T5s. Eventually I'll have to see if T4 androids and T4 surrogates have the same stats

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

Fully sapient droids are a tricky one, yes. They still get all the benefits of fancy rec/dining rooms/beauty and meal quality, but don't have comfort/sleep needs. I generally assign them one work shift with the rest of the colony, and one when everyone's asleep, with big, 3-4 hour recreation spots in between when everyone's in the rec room. To max out their recreation as much as possible. You're still getting lots more work out of them than normal colonists. They can struggle to get really happy but they also don't have as many problems at the end of the day, really the only thing you need to do is make sure they have plenty of recreation, they have nothing else that runs out over time like hunger/sleep needs.

Actual T5s are a big challenge though, with the ++ expansion however you can overwrite their minds with a regular colonist/droid and they will no longer hate everything but retain their cognitive faculties.

I have not delved deep into the android reprogramming stuff. Can you get in there and give the T3/4 ones, like, sanguine trait or something? That and iron-willed or something to make them not wig the gently caress out constantly.

I also have to look into this T5 re-writing thing. I loved the poo poo out of it for the speed and immense hauling capability so if I could pull it out of the sarcophagus, copy/paste someone's brain into it and not have it punching people's heads off on the regular that would be awesome.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

arbybaconator posted:

Use Gear Up and Go plus Extended Storage to build yourself an armory. It rules extremely hard.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Gear up and go sounds like a fantastic combo with the TACS from Rimatomics, which gives you a few hours heads up before a raid arrives

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright the economy expanded mod is hilarious because the equipment the new factions wear have a lower temperature threshold of 63F. Hell the upper side is a blistering 78F. I'm in a boreal forest near the south pole and whenever they show up they nearly instantly leave cause of the weather and usually there is at least 1 who ends up freezing to death before leaving.

I made like 3k silver off one dying, dropping all their silver and then selling their gun which was worth like 600 silver.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Leal posted:

Alright the economy expanded mod is hilarious because the equipment the new factions wear have a lower temperature threshold of 63F. Hell the upper side is a blistering 78F. I'm in a boreal forest near the south pole and whenever they show up they nearly instantly leave cause of the weather and usually there is at least 1 who ends up freezing to death before leaving.

I made like 3k silver off one dying, dropping all their silver and then selling their gun which was worth like 600 silver.

:shepface: what the HELL are they wearing that let's them start freezing to death at 62F (16C for anyone curious)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright so I have the armor worn, its a "Walkblem officer armor cape", and it has absolutely zero insulation properties on it and its the ONLY thing they wear. Now the question is why are the humans wearing it have such a messed up comfortable temp range.

Apparently though its being looked into

I hope the author looks into the whole 2000% dodge chance on the armor what the hell.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What size maps are y'all playing on with big modded loadouts?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The default size because I keep forgetting to make it slightly smaller :frogdunce: I have a CPU that's powerful as poo poo, but its powerful because it has like 12 cores :negative: Rimworld can only use one of them

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I tend to stick to default size maps as well because I usually end up with two or three of them running. One main colony, one offshore colony for raiding or whatever, and one underground colony beneath my main with DeepRim.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

1 size up from default, but really trying this run through to keep it to 30 colonists. Trying 0 hauling dogs and using androids with Pick Up and Haul mod.

I thought I was going to minimize number of animals but have a massive herd of buffalo and 5 Yorkies I've managed to neuter to prevent population explosion.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Yeah one size up here too, I ride around it on chocobos (desert aves whatever) from Alpha Animals and they haul too. Just designate your freezer for fertilized egg storage if you don't want any more.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

i just finished a desert base where everyone left in the spaceship and left behind the hauling/base defense cougars. out of curiosity, i left the game running to see what would happen.

someone crashlanded in a transport pod and the cougars immediately ate him

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Decided to sneak into a pristine ruins event(Real Ruins mod) even though I was tribal just to see if I could scavenge anything from the edge.
Managed to find a working pod launcher and made it out like a kind with 123 advanced combonents, a vanometric power cell, a psychic emanator, a pain gun(albeit very damaged), like 40 medicine, and 30 android repair kits, barely made it out of there before getting pincered by the two biggest enemy factions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ruins are incredibly valuable yeah, and a small team can often break in and steal a bunch of poo poo before the enemies get to you. It's a fun event!

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

i just finished a desert base where everyone left in the spaceship and left behind the hauling/base defense cougars. out of curiosity, i left the game running to see what would happen.

someone crashlanded in a transport pod and the cougars immediately ate him

I always take the animals with us. Even the chickens.

I think the only animal I left behind was an iguana that joined in the last few months. I loaded her into a transport pod and launched her to an oasis.

Nalesh posted:

Decided to sneak into a pristine ruins event(Real Ruins mod) even though I was tribal just to see if I could scavenge anything from the edge.
Managed to find a working pod launcher and made it out like a kind with 123 advanced combonents, a vanometric power cell, a psychic emanator, a pain gun(albeit very damaged), like 40 medicine, and 30 android repair kits, barely made it out of there before getting pincered by the two biggest enemy factions.

Good luck with the next raid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or pray you get a caravan to flog all those advanced components to, or drop them into a settlement on the way back :v:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Thanks for all the answers goons. Lastly - how important is it to not have a bunch of red errors in the log at startup?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Depends entirely what the errors are, but it's not a good sign. My heavily modded setup doesn't have any. You've likely got some incompatibilities or load order issues.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is there an easy way to tell or trace which mod is causing which error? I've tried a bunch of load order guides but still have the issues it seems. Also tried the automated load order sorting tools.

e: Does anyone have a heavily modded Combat Extended Fast Track xml I can take a look at?

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 4, 2020

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Is there a mod that lets you design uniforms easily?(Like sets of stuff that they'll wear)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nalesh posted:

Is there a mod that lets you design uniforms easily?(Like sets of stuff that they'll wear)

Other than the outfit system in the base game?

You can already set up different outfit presets and select between them for people to wear.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Nalesh posted:

Outfit Builder may be what you are looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

OwlFancier posted:

Ruins are incredibly valuable yeah, and a small team can often break in and steal a bunch of poo poo before the enemies get to you. It's a fun event!

Combined with Rimquest and SOS2 shuttles, you can get a ton of pristine ruin events and loot. Talk to trader, fly in a bunch of pawns, see no raiders, loot everything and flyout within a day.