Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I don’t really think encouraging maximum prison time all the time is a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

I don’t really think encouraging maximum prison time all the time is a great idea.

So what's the alternative for the man with the hit list, and the means to carry it out?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

So what's the alternative for the man with the hit list, and the means to carry it out?

Well, it obviously depends on the individual.

Hence why these people called “judges” are asked to use judgement. I don’t want judges defaulting to slammer forever, though.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

mlmp08 posted:

Well, it obviously depends on the individual.

Hence why these people called “judges” are asked to use judgement. I don’t want judges defaulting to slammer forever, though.
This was the prosecutor's judgement, not a judge's.

That guy didn't get the 'cop' deal, he got the 'rich' deal which is even better. The problem is that cop justice and rich justice simply isn't available to anyone else.
The problem isn't that somebody got that deal, it's that the only person who can get that deal is the person whose parents can throw $200k at a police department in an unsuccessful attempt to get him a job, and move him from Sarasota to Malibu and put him in a program of 18 months of treatment, and be rich enough to have your behavior be described as "artistic and edgy" instead of the drugged up, gunned up and Columbined up that anyone else in the same situation would be described as.

I agree that society would be far better served by ensuring that regular people get the same justice that cops and the rich get, rather than ensuring that cops and the rich get the same loving by the system as everyone else does. On the other hand, the ruling class and their police aren't going to do poo poo to move toward that kind of justice unless it benefits them - which won't happen so long as they never have to experience the consequences of their system.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Maybe we shouldn’t only have “prison” and “free” as our only two options for justice.

Cops already just shoot people unjustifiably. I’m sure we can brainstorm options that don’t cause people to get murdered.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

joat mon posted:

This was the prosecutor's judgement, not a judge's.

There’s the key thing I missed :downs:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

colachute posted:

Maybe we shouldn’t only have “prison” and “free” as our only two options for justice.

Cops already just shoot people unjustifiably. I’m sure we can brainstorm options that don’t cause people to get murdered.

Didn't this discussion happen here and end with cops saying you can't prevent cops murdering people for no reason (I'm paraphrasing)

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

maffew buildings posted:

Didn't this discussion happen here and end with cops saying you can't prevent cops murdering people for no reason (I'm paraphrasing)

Yes. Sometimes accidents happen and we shouldn’t have the goal of zero cop murders because of the law of averages.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Look if the cops dont shoot them someone else wouldnt have and we cant have that.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
https://twitter.com/nicxcvi/status/1211700026952601603

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

colachute posted:

i mean I'm down to guillotine the rich kid failed mass murderer that bought his way out of prison so there is a third option at least

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/CCUa2mz.mp4

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

That was so perfect that it looked planned :lol:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/nydailynews/status/1212796246760574976?s=21

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Without looking further my first question is, was this a house in current use or a derelict?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I am on my phone and can't tell but was that smashed car hopefully empty?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Structure fires oftentimes just get burned down in a controlled manner. That photo's in bad taste but not really that much of a departure.

Also.the NY daily news looking for clickbait from Michigan...

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

I am on my phone and can't tell but was that smashed car hopefully not empty?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

maffew buildings posted:

I am on my phone and can't tell but was that smashed car hopefully not empty?

Don't do this.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

No one deserves to die.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Melthir posted:

No one deserves to die.

That's a loving lie. That said, prob no one being mentioned ITT deserves it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The deaths of several very evil people have brought me no joy.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Melthir posted:

No one deserves to die.

police in this country regularly fabricate evidence to send people to jail for 5+ years

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

The deaths of several very evil people have brought me no joy.

uh john mccain?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
McCain, Scalia, Epstein...

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

idk sounds like there might be something wrong with you

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I just see celebrating death as macabre.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Nobody would have died from a box truck toppling slowly onto the cruiser. A car can get into a 65mph rollover and the driver still walk away with a bit of whiplash.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Melthir posted:

No one deserves to die.

Our brave boys in blue and now the government, feel the opposite, and quite strongly.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Melthir posted:

No one deserves to die.

I agree, the assassination of Soleimani was an outrage

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Melthir posted:

No one deserves to die.

Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao? John Wayne Gacy, Ted Bundy, BTK, The Zodiac Killer, [insert any rapist or murderer here]?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Melthir posted:

No one deserves to die.

And yet everyone will.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

piL posted:

And yet everyone will.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Speleothing posted:

Nobody would have died from a box truck toppling slowly onto the cruiser. A car can get into a 65mph rollover and the driver still walk away with a bit of whiplash.

Tell that to my buddy, Bob. Oh wait. You can't because he got turned into meat jelly when a 53 foot trailer tipped over onto his vehicle. On the way home after work, too.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Speleothing posted:

I try not to get in to personal attacks here, but you're a doofus

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Speleothing posted:

Lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve survived six box tips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i just want cops to give everyone the same benefit of the doubt they give to actual nazis