Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

PJOmega posted:

If it was instant it would also be "block x creatures without flying or trample" which is outside red's color pie.
It makes a single X/1, not multiple creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

No it wouldn't? It makes one guy, not several.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about the bottom 80% of Planeswalkers Framboise, the problem is the top 10% are both extremely good cards in a vacuum and also incredibly hard to deal with without giving up card parity.

E: Positively quaking in my boots about Liliana of the Dark Realms lmao are you loving kidding me

Just play The Elderspell jesus.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
The blue one is going to be

- look at the top x cards from your library, put two in your hand, rest on the bottom
- counter target spell unless it’s controller pays twice x

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

nrook posted:

Maybe White can have incredibly brutal Planeswalker hate as part of its color pie.

No Planes Allowed (W)
Enchantment
Loyalty abilities of planeswalkers cost (W)(W)(W) more to activate.
Draw a card.

I know you're probably joking, but I really like the idea of incredibly efficient planeswalker hate being part of White's color pie.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Framboise posted:

Just run removal for Planeswalkers if you hate them so loving much dude

Like, 80% of planeswalkers are barely playable just for the record, they're not anywhere near as OP as you think when in many cases they're just bad modal enchantments you can kill with damage

The fact that planeswalkers die to removal is not as insightful or transformative an observation as you might think it is.

Others before me have observed that one of the reasons why planeswalkers are so annoying is that for nearly all of the playable ones, you are repeatedly 2-for-1ing yourself if you try to just answer them with removal, because they've already drawn a card or destroyed one of your permanents or something. This, in turn, derives at least in part from the larger problem that a bomb is attached to WOTC headquarters which will explode if, at any point, a player does not receive immediate value from a permanent the turn it enters play.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Huxley posted:

Cribbage is a standard-52 game that actually plays around in a lot of the same space as Magic (hand building, bluffing, leading, playing to your outs, getting completely bodied by RNG).

Cribbage loving owns and we used to spend hours playing it when we couldn't get another 2 for euchre.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Tainen posted:

- look at the top x cards from your library, put two in your hand, rest on the bottom

That card would be insanely busted, they don't even print unqualified instant speed Divinations. Attaching it to the best counter (aside from Veil) printed in years would be odd.

e: unless it was inexplicably a sorcery like the red one i guess

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Hellsau posted:

That card would be insanely busted, they don't even print unqualified instant speed Divinations. Attaching it to the best counter (aside from Veil) printed in years would be odd.

e: unless it was inexplicably a sorcery like the red one i guess

It will be XUU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ilmucche posted:

Cribbage loving owns and we used to spend hours playing it when we couldn't get another 2 for euchre.
the yooper is strong in this one

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Is this set going to have 2 walkers or 3?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Is this set going to have 2 walkers or 3?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Technically every player is playing as a planeswalker so it will have millions. :3:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Hellsau posted:

That card would be insanely busted,

Since when is this good reason to assume they won't print a blue card

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Since when is this good reason to assume they won't print a blue card

Hot takes coming straight outta 1999 over here

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
A shame that a spell named after Purph wouldn’t better interact with his previous iteration.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It doesn’t really matter how powerful/easy to answer PW are, complaining about anything is for loser bitches. Stiff upper lip lads.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Technically every player is playing as a planeswalker so it will have millions. :3:

My +1 is shitposting in this thread.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Balon posted:

A shame that a spell named after Purph wouldn’t better interact with his previous iteration.

Nylea's Inverention does not interact with either Nylea in either way as she does not care about lands or act as anti-flying removal.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

fadam posted:

It doesn’t really matter how powerful/easy to answer PW are, complaining about anything is for loser bitches. Stiff upper lip lads.

I'm sorry the last good set in magic was scourge from 2003

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dpulex posted:

Stop playing then.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Just play The Elderspell jesus.

Noted good card in Modern Legacy and Vintage The Elderspell

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Dpulex posted:

yeah

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Yawgmoth posted:

the yooper is strong in this one

I'm not from michigan

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

Not with that attitude.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

stupid sexy naiad

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 4, 2020

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Nylea's Inverention does not interact with either Nylea in either way as she does not care about lands or act as anti-flying removal.

No, but there was a perfect opportunity here. Instead it's a bad ball lightning.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Balon posted:

No, but there was a perfect opportunity here. Instead it's a bad ball lightning.

Is it? A scaling ball lightning that also functions as removal seems okay to me, even at sorcery speed.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kurtofan posted:

stupid sexy naiad

Is that the first male Naiad they've printed?

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

stupid sexy naiad

I'm looking forward to limited in this set looks fun. Power creep seems less ridiculous.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1213555704709169161

BIRB

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Come back with my 1/2 flier :argh:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

is this officially the end of the line for Wind Drake

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

ManMythLegend posted:

I know you're probably joking, but I really like the idea of incredibly efficient planeswalker hate being part of White's color pie.

I'm definitely joking but I'm also deadly seriously in my love for symmetric effects. I would be delighted if a card like this got printed. It's a shame really strong symmetric effects are so rare nowadays, I cut my teeth on a Meekstone deck back in the day.

I also hate planeswalkers but like, they're not going anywhere, there's no point to complaining about them. Now that Wizards is printing hate for them the same as artifacts and enchantments and stuff it's fine.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

AlternateNu posted:

Is that the first male Naiad they've printed?

Probably, they haven't printed many naiads

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Tainen posted:

Is this a prediction or spoiler?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about the bottom 80% of Planeswalkers Framboise, the problem is the top 10% are both extremely good cards in a vacuum and also incredibly hard to deal with without giving up card parity.

E: Positively quaking in my boots about Liliana of the Dark Realms lmao are you loving kidding me

My point is that a small handful of problematic cards of a card type does not mean that the entire type is ruining the game as a whole and complaining incessantly about them is just as weird as the people who day counterspells ruin the game.

JerryLee posted:

The fact that planeswalkers die to removal is not as insightful or transformative an observation as you might think it is.

Others before me have observed that one of the reasons why planeswalkers are so annoying is that for nearly all of the playable ones, you are repeatedly 2-for-1ing yourself if you try to just answer them with removal, because they've already drawn a card or destroyed one of your permanents or something. This, in turn, derives at least in part from the larger problem that a bomb is attached to WOTC headquarters which will explode if, at any point, a player does not receive immediate value from a permanent the turn it enters play.

A planeswalker that does not generate value in some form right away is generally suboptimal or unplayable. If it can't do anything or protect itself it may as well just be a crappy enchantment that dies to damage.

I'm not arguing that Teferi and T3feri and Oko haven't been disgustingly pushed because they are. They are the exceptions and not the norm though, I feel.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ManMythLegend posted:

Suppression field exists and is white

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

fadam posted:

Is it? A scaling ball lightning that also functions as removal seems okay to me, even at sorcery speed.

How much does this cost to make you a ball lightning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Every planeswalker in those formats is countered and dies to Pyroblast. Except modern where the problem is a lot deeper than any planeswalker.

Mezzanon posted:

Suppression field exists and is white

And is like, 15 years old.