Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

SpikeMcclane posted:

Why does Shadowsun have General Grievous arms?

Are you saying if you had a robot suit you wouldn't have General Grievous arms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Strobe posted:

They won't. 28s exist (new Howling Banshees and Incubi) but aren't likely at all for small models with nothing special going on.

For some reason this really winds me up. I have about 50 Eldar infantry models and of I ever add to those, having some types potentially on very slightly different sized bases seems unnecessarily faffy.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Genghis Cohen posted:

For some reason this really winds me up. I have about 50 Eldar infantry models and of I ever add to those, having some types potentially on very slightly different sized bases seems unnecessarily faffy.

Honestly it may not seem like a huge difference in size, but the Howling Banshees are sure as hell more stable on those things. They're right around halfway in between a 25 and a 32 and I'm 100% okay with the really flippy/twirly minis having some extra surface area to stand on.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Strobe posted:

Honestly it may not seem like a huge difference in size, but the Howling Banshees are sure as hell more stable on those things. They're right around halfway in between a 25 and a 32 and I'm 100% okay with the really flippy/twirly minis having some extra surface area to stand on.

I am sure that's true, I'm not saying 28mm isn't a fine size and maybe an improvement. I just have some OCD corner of my brain which wants bases to all be the same size across categories like infantry, bikes, vehicles etc.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
I mean it sucks that anyone would have to spend money to accommodate a base size change in the rules but that being said there are tons of companies selling little round things you clip onto to the base that makes them bigger and doesnt affect your artistry in basing at all and instead just looks like more framing?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

I mean it sucks that anyone would have to spend money to accommodate a base size change in the rules but that being said there are tons of companies selling little round things you clip onto to the base that makes them bigger and doesnt affect your artistry in basing at all and instead just looks like more framing?

I mean I used base extenders for my Grey Knights and just used the same basing effect on the rim it made and now you can't tell they were ever extended. The problem is more the number of models involved. Including all of my infantry models in my guard army I have like 120 models minimum.

I know Ork players had the same problem but it feels there's some actual benefit to orks having a bigger bass whereas I think it would look weird to have guardsmen on a big base and frankly it makes them even better as a screening unit which wasn't really needed.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Kitchner posted:

I mean I used base extenders for my Grey Knights and just used the same basing effect on the rim it made and now you can't tell they were ever extended. The problem is more the number of models involved. Including all of my infantry models in my guard army I have like 120 models minimum.

I know Ork players had the same problem but it feels there's some actual benefit to orks having a bigger bass whereas I think it would look weird to have guardsmen on a big base and frankly it makes them even better as a screening unit which wasn't really needed.

Then you know this profoundly better than me. When applying base extenders is it really necessary to actually paint/model basing effects? Does it look ok to just glue them on as a big black frame?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Then you know this profoundly better than me. When applying base extenders is it really necessary to actually paint/model basing effects? Does it look ok to just glue them on as a big black frame?

I mean a big part is personal preference but I mean they do look "OK" with the base extenders on without being redone in any way. You personally may prefer it like that and I only had like 16 Grey Knights and they were rebased using technical paint so it's basically the ideal scenario.

If I had 100 models or some crazy intricate basing scheme I may have just left the extenders on and unpainted.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

moths posted:

It's got heavy bolters so it's probably the Mortifier, which also has the sisters keyword.

But it definitely looks rad.

The unit entry for Mortifiers has an option to take an 'Anchorite' which is the same but with a 3+ save, instead of 4+. Guess the sarcophagus is how that's shown ingame.

Preview confirms Sisters kits start pre-order next weekend: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/01/04/reveals-from-the-new-year-open-day-2020gw-homepage-post-1/

I'm a little disapppointed that they didn't unveil anything for AT after so long with nothing new.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Shadowsun can be taken with any Sept now, that's nifty.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I may be reaching but I wonder if the Ork V Imperial good boys book in PA will release with a Ghazghkull Thraka model with a “play with any clan” rule similar to Shadowsun? I think to be properly fluffy Ghaz would need to just give a bonus to all Orks instead of just being a Goff.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Just to clarify, an eversor still needs to be within 12" to declare a charge even though he has a 3d6 charge roll, yes?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Anime_Otaku posted:

I may be reaching but I wonder if the Ork V Imperial good boys book in PA will release with a Ghazghkull Thraka model with a “play with any clan” rule similar to Shadowsun? I think to be properly fluffy Ghaz would need to just give a bonus to all Orks instead of just being a Goff.

That would be cool, might actually give me a reason to get him. :orks101:

Lizard Combatant posted:

Just to clarify, an eversor still needs to be within 12" to declare a charge even though he has a 3d6 charge roll, yes?

Yes.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

R0ckfish posted:

Shadowsun can be taken with any Sept now, that's nifty.

That's actually pretty cool, I like the model (especially with the helmet) and I don't like using special characters that are readily identifiable (like her without the helmet), so I'd just put the helmet on and use her as a sort of generic XV-22 commander with the same rules and weapons and use a different name

Also that extra long ponytail is so loving stupid when you have a jump pack mounted right on your back

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
It's a T'au jump pack though, so it probably doesn't burn your hair because of the greater good or something.

Or maybe one of her drones is only there to move her hair out of the way of the exhaust.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I don't think Tau should have hair at all!

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Is hardware store epoxy putty the same thing as green stuff or is it formulated differently

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

goose willis posted:

Is hardware store epoxy putty the same thing as green stuff or is it formulated differently

"epoxy putty" is a pretty broad category, so likely quite different, possibly also horribly toxic depending on exactly what it is

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

goose willis posted:

Hardware store epoxy is usually meant to plug gaps in pipes or ceramics. It usually cures as literally rock (or worse), metal hard.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I don't think Tau should have hair at all!

Maybe it's extensions

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Kitchner posted:

Maybe it's extensions

The 4th sphere expansion was actually an elaborate heist to steal hair squigs

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Hardware epoxy usually hardens faster than green stuff and the bigger issue it is 'coarser' so can't support as fine of detail being molded into it. You could mix it with green stuff type epoxies to make it more rigid while still being able to do finer work. Apoxie Sculpt is probably cheaper for that purpose, though.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I know it’s only from the local GW but it’s the first painting thing I’ve ever won

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

OhDearGodNo posted:

I know it’s only from the local GW but it’s the first painting thing I’ve ever won

Congratulations! That guy looks great.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008

OhDearGodNo posted:

Good job!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

darnon posted:

Hardware epoxy usually hardens faster than green stuff and the bigger issue it is 'coarser' so can't support as fine of detail being molded into it. You could mix it with green stuff type epoxies to make it more rigid while still being able to do finer work. Apoxie Sculpt is probably cheaper for that purpose, though.

Correction: Green stuff is hardware epoxy. It's specifically a brand called kneadatite. It was designed for use in things like plumbing. The fact that it's useful for modeling is an unintended side benefit (though it's been used so long that's it's now part of the official marketing). So if you find kneadatite specifically, then that's the exact same as green stuff. As you say, other hardware epoxies have different properties depending on how they're formulated, and many other brands are not useful for what we use green stuff for.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Is Milliput the same thing too?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

goose willis posted:

A lot cheaper and more coarse. Good for large jobs that are finished off with green stuff over the top.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

goose willis posted:

Insofar as it's also a hardware epoxy that's now used in modeling, yes. It was designed more for care repair and DIY projects, but it's mostly been marketed at the modeling hobby since like the 70's.

If you're asking if it's exactly the same as green stuff, then no. They have different formulations and properties. As an example, milliput ends up much harder, while green stuff ends up with a plastic-like hardness.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Kitchner posted:

It's a T'au jump pack though, so it probably doesn't burn your hair because of the greater good or something.

Or maybe one of her drones is only there to move her hair out of the way of the exhaust.

T'au hair is non-flammable, hence why it's woven into the capes Space Marines with jump packs wear.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Speaking on Ghaz... I really would love an any-clan Ghaz to hit the game, given I've already painted up nearly 2k of Evil Sunz and Deathskullz (and one Bad Moonz dakkajet). I'm a little pessimistic, though, because we're probably already getting a Big Mek with KFF model in the nearish future, and I'm skeptical that they'd give us two new ork models. I think it's more likely that it will just be the Big Mek model for orks.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Is there a surefire way to destroy the idiot clown part of my brain that every few months decides that starting a death korp army wouldn't be financially ruinous? Why yes £75 for a heavy weapons squad, this is a good idea.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Mr Teatime posted:

Is there a surefire way to destroy the idiot clown part of my brain that every few months decides that starting a death korp army wouldn't be financially ruinous? Why yes £75 for a heavy weapons squad, this is a good idea.

You've got two options if you want to avoid wallet death

1) Find a proxy, there's some good ones

2) If you're in the US then you can probably get massive bottles of vodka for about 6 bucks per liter, just drink that until you forget how to even play Warhammer. It'll only be as expensive as a Death Korp army if it takes several weeks to forget.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

PinheadSlim posted:

just drink that until you forget how to even play Warhammer.

:hmmyes:

Actually what I've been sort of musing on as an alternative to the regular cadians is doing something with the Blackstone fortress traitor guard, I've got about 60 of them sitting that I picked up to originally use as cultists. Ever since I saw the deserter miniature that forgeworld released for necromunda I've had a sort of half formed idea about him as the commander of a guard regiment stuck on the wrong side of the rift for however many centuries its been now. Clean off the chaos iconography and the traitor guard could pull off a battered, half feral guard force using busted old gear.

Has anyone tried making loyalists out of that kit?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Had tough time getting good pictures, if there was ever an argument for me to finally get myself a lightbox, it is with this figure. Main thing I wanted to show is his chest piece, I am very happy with this figure. I originally went into it with just intending to slap some basic colors on him and call it good. I ended up getting carried away and wanted to really do a good job copying the official paint scheme from GWS. I feel that I succeeded.

Muninn
Dec 29, 2008
Can anyone identify this Space Marine model for me? I got it in a used miniature lottery. It looks to be Dark Angels and metal:

Muninn fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 5, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

I said come in! posted:

Had tough time getting good pictures, if there was ever an argument for me to finally get myself a lightbox, it is with this figure. Main thing I wanted to show is his chest piece, I am very happy with this figure. I originally went into it with just intending to slap some basic colors on him and call it good. I ended up getting carried away and wanted to really do a good job copying the official paint scheme from GWS. I feel that I succeeded.

I'd say you've succeeded quite nicely.

A little bit of wash over the metal parts would give them some more depth, I personally prefer agrax over nuln oil for AdMech armour.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
First unit of 2020 done, plan is to complete at least one unit a month... starting strong, but had some vacation days to help it along.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Muninn posted:

Can anyone identify this Space Marine model for me? I got it in a used miniature lottery. It looks to be Dark Angels and metal:

It's one of the old masters of the chapter models with, weirdly, a Deathwing knight master's robed head from the Deathwing terminator kit and who knows what as a backpack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Looks profesh, and I'm always jealous of anyone who can freehand stripes that look good.

Mr.Booger posted:

First unit of 2020 done, plan is to complete at least one unit a month... starting strong, but had some vacation days to help it along.

They're immaculate, and I love the colour scheme. Feels like a unit stationed in North Africa or something.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 5, 2020