Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ghost Dog posted:

i apologize to any nfc east readers for not mentioning their markets

Mentioning the National TV games is effectively the same imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

hrrrm. wrong.

wow u hosed up my snappy reply deimos and made.me a fool

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think the Giants and Browns are good fits for Fat Mike, Carolina and Dallas not so much.

Giants would work, Browns would've worked with John Dorsey as a buffer between Fat Mike and Jimmy Haslam, but y'know...

I don't know nothing about Carolina's new structure.

Mike McCarthy will be miserable working directly under Jerry Jones, I guarantee it.

I'm rooting for McCarthy -> Dallas.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The Giants can suck for the next 20 years and I’ll still have XLII and XLVI to look back on and grin like a maniac because gently caress the Patriots, long live Eli.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ghost Dog posted:

hrrrm. wrong.

:wth::wth::wth:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

OxySnake posted:

LaFleur has a chance depending on how long Rodgers lasts.

He has a nice head start but that was a very lucky 13 wins and Aaron looks pretty close to done.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Kingsbury might last. He certainly outperformed expectations

Bruce Arians if he doesn't has some kind of cardiovascular situation first.

I said new! But he still probably won’t

Grittybeard posted:

I think there's about zero chance of this actually happening, but if Lincoln Riley makes the jump and Jerry (and Stephen after Jerry dies) loves him as much as he did Garrett he'll make it easily. Riley is 35 years old or something close to that.

I realize I was a little vague about what “this year” means, but even more than the guys hired before this season I would bet against the guys who are about to be hired. The odds are just quite low!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1213546466712674304?s=20

Anyone has to be an upgrade over what they had previous.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

God help me, I’m talking myself into Marvin Lewis

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wandler20 posted:

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1213546466712674304?s=20

Anyone has to be an upgrade over what they had previous.

They’ve badly handled cam the last few years.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I would talk myself into you coaching the team

Just get rid of garrett

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Marvin Lewis with Jay Gruden OC, dream team back together.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

FizFashizzle posted:

They’ve badly handled cam the last few years.

I mean part of that was Cam putting off surgery and him being played injured. Dunno how much we can really put on training staff

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Rivera brought his OL coach as well. Sorry, Dwayne.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I mean part of that was Cam putting off surgery and him being played injured. Dunno how much we can really put on training staff

"Cam, you're too injured, don't play."

"No I'm gonna play"

"poo poo, nothing we can do."

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

It has been mentioned before, but Marvin with a GM that cares about winning + free agency is an interesting prospect. His previous GM was Mike Brown, who cares about winning but via magic and wishes as opposed to putting together a good football team/front office.

His pros are fine but his cons are pretty big. Towards the latter years of his run, his reputation of holding everyone accountable fell apart quick. He can hold a locker room of personalities together, but they will be less disciplined. He refuses to believe in basic football things like halftime adjustments (saying they're a creation of the media), so throw advanced football things (analytics, aggressive offensive playcalling, etc.) out of the window.

I'd say he deserves a run with someone like Jerry, to see if he can grow in a freer environment.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Ghost Dog posted:

mike brown is a lovely owner in the sense that he does not want to field a team at all but is forced to by league rules. marvin came in and turned a team just there to maximize mike browns revenue sharing into a semi competent team starting from absolutely 0 talent, no scouting department and no front office at all.

I always kinda wondered if Marvin Lewis was basically Browns-era Belichick.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

zimbomonkey posted:

"No I'm gonna play"

Can't stop Rivera from playing him.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

marvin’s the steady hand the cowboys need

zimbomonkey posted:

"No I'm gonna play"

yeah players are gonna generally try to play no matter what because that’s what they’re taught growing up; it’s the job of the medical team and training staff to protect players against their own hubris

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
probably interviewing lewis just to fulfill the rooney rule

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

zimbomonkey posted:

Rivera brought his OL coach as well. Sorry, Dwayne.

Is he bad or is he torpedoed by Carolina basically not give a poo poo about the OL and just trotting out whoever they find on the street?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ches Neckbeard posted:

And the team not protecting him enough and refs not calling roughing when cam was hit

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Despera posted:

World runs on Jerry time not real time. Jerry is just doing this to spite all the people who thought garrett sucks, 25 assistant coaches be damned.

Yeah imo Jerry is absolutely loving the suspense and is having a good time torturing the media and the fans by drawing it out

PupsOfWar posted:

freddy kitchens so bad that he has scared teams away from hiring anyone other than retreads, despite most of this year's other first-time head coaches being fine

thought you said something different than "retreads" here and was beginning to nod in agreement

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
The real problem with Rivera is his loyalty to bad coaches and players.

Players and coaches will love him, as a result.

Your team will also peak at mediocre as a result.

Him hiring his lovely OL caoch and his even worse trainer is a bad sign for Washington. Would've been much better if he left all his baggage of awful staff and started fresh.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I have to admit that if I heard my football team was importing the staff of the Panthers I wouldn't exactly be filled with hope. Then again the skins can only go up unless they decide to go full browns.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Training staff should protect players

Jj Watt is starting tonight

A lot of people should be protecting players but they don't/ can't

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Training staff should protect players

Jj Watt is starting tonight

A lot of people should be protecting players but they don't/ can't

Don't tell adults what to do, cop.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Don't tell adults what to do, cop.

Go protect muh freedoms!

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

BOB is actually the coach that everybody thinks Jason Garrett is. Has a very talented roster in a lovely division, but still manages to stumble into the playoffs every year where he loses at the earliest convenience. Nobody in the NFL has done less with more.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Simplex posted:

BOB is actually the coach that everybody thinks Jason Garrett is. Has a very talented roster in a lovely division, but still manages to stumble into the playoffs every year where he loses at the earliest convenience. Nobody in the NFL has done less with more.

Why not both?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Simplex posted:

doesn't BOB have GM powers as well, so if he has a very talented roster he can take credit for that? I thought that was the case for the texans, though they are always an easy out in the playoffs

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

evilweasel posted:

doesn't BOB have GM powers as well, so if he has a very talented roster he can take credit for that? I thought that was the case for the texans, though they are always an easy out in the playoffs

He finally achieved defacto gm this year and that doesn't seem to be changing

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ches Neckbeard posted:

He finally achieved defacto gm this year and that doesn't seem to be changing

oh if it's only this year then yeah he gets no credit for the roster yet

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

wrong thread

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
De facto GM? BoB is the de facto owner at this point

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
wrong thread

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Didn't Marvin Lewis refuse to sign an extension at one point unless Mike Brown hired more staff?

Like the Bengals had something ridiculous like only 4 scouts?

Lewis with a football organization willing to actually spend money seems like it could be good.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

syzpid posted:

Didn't Marvin Lewis refuse to sign an extension at one point unless Mike Brown hired more staff?

Lewis with a football organization willing to actually spend money seems like it could be good.

That was probably to force them to get up to four scouts.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/Giants/status/1213641325192663050

I'm sure he was thrilled to find out they have a couple of computer software folks now

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

syzpid posted:

Yeah, that happened with the extension before the AJ Green draft. He also wanted an indoor practice field. Marvin, I hope you get that practice field. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Kalli posted:

That was probably to force them to get up to four scouts.

This is it