Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Stumiester posted:

I’d have loved to see bigger creatures at the end of Subnautica. Give me creatures 30, 40, 50 times bigger than the reaper. Thats all I want. Darkness and huge, horrifying monsters in it.

From what I've heard the engine probably can't handle that. Given how much the game changed from their original plans, would be nice if for a follow-up (by them or someone else) they switched to something more fitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

From what I've heard the engine probably can't handle that. Given how much the game changed from their original plans, would be nice if for a follow-up (by them or someone else) they switched to something more fitting.

The Sea Dragon was apparently originally several times bigger than it is right now, but they accidentally broke it in an update. They decided to leave it as-is because nobody could remember how big it was supposed to be and it already had trouble navigating terrain.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That would be good. I mean, the game is great and I love it, but for me the feeling of looking at/moving around the big creature at the end of the game is unnerving even though it is friendly. Imagine that feeling on something that size or bigger that is hostile. Or having to travel to a separate volcano island a few 1000m away through the void, and you hear huge things moving through the blackness...

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
You could make a hacky solution like simulate an enormous sessile bottom-burrowing leviathan a la the Sarlacc by making each body part a separate creature jutting from the bottom. Just dodging giant feeding tentacles reaching for your Cyclops, trying to drag you to your doom.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

subnautica-style, all first-person 3D inside a sub, maybe with a crew and upgradeable (expandable?) ships, but simplified resource collection based on killing deep gods and taking their stuff.

captain nemo vs. the squid people, and the twist is that you're actually the bad guy at the end.

1890s technology and justifiable steampunk, perhaps associated with magic uranium-cocaine

https://store.steampowered.com/app/602960/Barotrauma/

GlassLotus
Mar 16, 2014

I once got a fortune cookie that said "Ask your mom". I've also gotten several blank fortune cookies... I guess that explains why I'm broke.
So I got the recipe for the penguin robot. Then I immediately went to my base and made it, and thus PengBippity was born and I was so excited that I failed to notice they aren't water robots. I assumed penguins can swim, so penguin robots in a game in which you're underwater 99% of the time should be able to swim. So I dropped it outside my base and it fell apart and died.

I have mourned the untimely demise of PengBippity ever since. What's worse is it's body has just remained stop my base. I love this game.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
I parked my seamoth inside the Cyclops then went for a journey to Lifepod 13. When I went to hop back in the Seamoth it was just gone. The beacon manager shows nothing (as if I never crafted a seamoth). Is this anything anybody's come across? Frustrating because I had the Mark 3 depth upgrade.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Stumiester posted:

That would be good. I mean, the game is great and I love it, but for me the feeling of looking at/moving around the big creature at the end of the game is unnerving even though it is friendly. Imagine that feeling on something that size or bigger that is hostile. Or having to travel to a separate volcano island a few 1000m away through the void, and you hear huge things moving through the blackness...

Try it on VR the creatures are ludicrously large.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!

saltylopez posted:

I parked my seamoth inside the Cyclops then went for a journey to Lifepod 13. When I went to hop back in the Seamoth it was just gone. The beacon manager shows nothing (as if I never crafted a seamoth). Is this anything anybody's come across? Frustrating because I had the Mark 3 depth upgrade.

Welcome to Subnautica, a game made by a bunch of amateurs, and successful only because it fills a unique niche.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

saltylopez posted:

Sounds like the perfect time to craft a Prawn Suit :v:

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

saltylopez posted:

It was eaten by a Leviathan. What's more, the Leviathan is still IN YOUR CYCLOPS.

You will need to get your torch and knife and search in every nook and cranny of your Cyclops until you find it, kill it, and retrieve your Seamoth from its corpse.
Note they are very good at hiding in ventilation ducts.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Soul Reaver posted:

It was eaten by a Leviathan. What's more, the Leviathan is still IN YOUR CYCLOPS.

You will need to get your torch and knife and search in every nook and cranny of your Cyclops until you find it, kill it, and retrieve your Seamoth from its corpse.
Note they are very good at hiding in ventilation ducts.

They usually hide in that crawl space under the engine, where nobody ever goes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Just as well by mid game Seamoths are cheap as poo poo to craft. I had built a second one even before I left my first one parked behind the Aurora.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

i've played this a bit with friends, we took a sub from the internet and changed it a bunch to fit our needs and it's quite fun. hopefully it gets more features before development dies out due to lack of funds tho, it seems slow and dunno if it's popular

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Sounds like the perfect time to craft a Prawn Suit :v:

Ok, so I made another Seamoth, visited the Aurora and ended up crafting the Prawn Suit. It was really fun jumping around for a couple hours but then I think I ran into another bug. My prawn suit will no longer get any forward momentum. If I use the jump/boosters it will only go backwards or straight up. Movement on ground is also very slow-going and it gets caught on stuff constantly. Unfortunately it's also currently like 500m down near the entrance to a great reef biome (or whatever it's called, there's crab squids and warpers and it's very spooky and deep).

Google searches haven't really been any help for figuring out how to fix it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Did a floater stick to it?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

saltylopez posted:

Ok, so I made another Seamoth, visited the Aurora and ended up crafting the Prawn Suit. It was really fun jumping around for a couple hours but then I think I ran into another bug. My prawn suit will no longer get any forward momentum. If I use the jump/boosters it will only go backwards or straight up. Movement on ground is also very slow-going and it gets caught on stuff constantly. Unfortunately it's also currently like 500m down near the entrance to a great reef biome (or whatever it's called, there's crab squids and warpers and it's very spooky and deep).

Google searches haven't really been any help for figuring out how to fix it.

Are you certain you're not trying to walk through a wall that's invisible or never spawned in?

Like, does it go backwards and strafe normally?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

jarlywarly posted:

Try it on VR the creatures are ludicrously large.

VR subnautica would literally kill me

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Are you certain you're not trying to walk through a wall that's invisible or never spawned in?

Like, does it go backwards and strafe normally?

It seemed to go backwards and strafe normally, yes. I loaded my save to check for floaters like suggested above. There weren't any attached. It was still having the bug, but for whatever reason after moving about 20 yards it seemed to go away. Not sure why that worked today but not a few days ago when I had to have traveled at least 200+ meters trying to get to Degasi seabase 3

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is there a way to play subnautica vr with keyboard and mouse?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

That's how it works. Kb+mouse, gamepad, hell it's even got support for the little wrist lanyard dongle that comes with the Rift. As amusing as the thought of flailing ineffectually at a Leviathan would be.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I tried using the vive controllers and keyboard and mouse and they didn't do anything.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Tenzarin posted:

You can but use a gamepad otherwise you'll find it hard to press the right keys unless you have a really good muscle memory for them.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Tenzarin posted:

I tried using the vive controllers and keyboard and mouse and they didn't do anything.

I seem to remember a bug where when I launched it in VR I had to click on to focus the window or no input got processed.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Have there been any PC performance patches for Subnautica in the last year anyone know?

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

So I'm pretty far in the game right now. Just cleaned out the Vaccine Research Facility and I'm kinda stuck. my good old Seamoth can't get any further, but I need nickel to make depth upgrades to get the Cyclops and Prawn Suit upgraded and oops, can't find any nickel in the Lost River so far. Also can't seem to find the crucial Prawn Suit upgrades like the grapple hook or drill arm. My main problem is that anything I want to check out in the Blood Weed Forests seems to be defended by 1 or more Warpers. Like those fucks are everywhere down there. I guess my luck in not having Reapers spawn anywhere they'd actually be a problem (I haven't seen either of the ones that are supposed to defend the Aurora) balanced out. How do I deal with those drat things because they always freak me out.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Bushmaori posted:

Have there been any PC performance patches for Subnautica in the last year anyone know?

There was this one in Nov, though I can't tell you how much of an improvement it was as I had moved to a new PC at that time.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/264710/announcements/detail/1617282814901122773

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

PlasticAutomaton posted:

My main problem is that anything I want to check out in the Blood Weed Forests seems to be defended by 1 or more Warpers. Like those fucks are everywhere down there. I guess my luck in not having Reapers spawn anywhere they'd actually be a problem (I haven't seen either of the ones that are supposed to defend the Aurora) balanced out. How do I deal with those drat things because they always freak me out.

Just ignore them. If they teleport you out of your vehicle, swim back to it. That’s about it.

I guess you could punt them further away with the propulsion cannon if you really wanted to, but in my experience they’re not worth the effort.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

PlasticAutomaton posted:

So I'm pretty far in the game right now. Just cleaned out the Vaccine Research Facility and I'm kinda stuck. my good old Seamoth can't get any further, but I need nickel to make depth upgrades to get the Cyclops and Prawn Suit upgraded and oops, can't find any nickel in the Lost River so far. Also can't seem to find the crucial Prawn Suit upgrades like the grapple hook or drill arm. My main problem is that anything I want to check out in the Blood Weed Forests seems to be defended by 1 or more Warpers. Like those fucks are everywhere down there. I guess my luck in not having Reapers spawn anywhere they'd actually be a problem (I haven't seen either of the ones that are supposed to defend the Aurora) balanced out. How do I deal with those drat things because they always freak me out.

I got my first nickle by taking the Seamoth as low as it could go in the Lost RIver and then diving down to find nickle around the green mist areas, and higher on those walls.

For the Prawn suit arms, you just need to search out more wrecks. I think I got them at the larger ones like the submerged islands. Though frankly I just followed youtube vids.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

PlasticAutomaton posted:

During development, there use to be an explicit nav marker that got added to highlight "Yup, next plot point is down there allright". Then they removed it.

This is also a place where tons of people drive right on by and keep going to the plot point beyond it, only to have to turn around. So don't feel bad for being confused over what is at this point, probably one of the top points of confusion in the game now. As it is inside 'obvious in hindsight' doorways built into terrain, when most are looking for a more obvious building accessible via cyclops while dodging sea monsters (The previous nav beacon gave people a better clue something was up). Or, having to look up more often if taking a long prawn only trip.

As for Warpers, they flip flop between super easy or incredibly horrible, depending on if their AI is in the mood to take the hint, or realize there is nothing stopping them from teleporting back to you 0.7 seconds after you launch them into the horizon with a repulsor ray, or even after you "kill" them. I've gone lots of playthroughs being able to essentially ignore them, only for a champion to arise determined my prawn meets lava as often as possible.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 5, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

PlasticAutomaton posted:

There's lots of nickle around the Deep Cove Tree in the Lost River! :eng101:

edit: you can park your seamoth near the top, above its crush depth and dive down to get it...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!
i dont think there's still a need to use spoiler tags when talking about the base game, is there?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Also can't seem to find the crucial Prawn Suit upgrades like the grapple hook or drill arm. My main problem is that anything I want to check out in the Blood Weed Forests seems to be defended by 1 or more Warpers.

Try skimming the length of the top of the Blood Kelp Trench with your seamoth while looking down. You might find something interesting inside it.

There's also something interesting near the top of the Grand Reef where it meets the junction between the Crag Zone and the Kelp Forest there (the one sandwiched between two grassy plateaus, near the volcanic vent at the south of the Safe Shallows.

You don't actually need any nickle to build a PRAWN or Cyclops, just to upgrade them, so don't worry about that too much up-front (the first depth reinforcement you need for the cyclops to get to the PRAWN's default depth of 900 (your seamoth's limit) only needs titanium, a couple of pieces of lithium, and a few rubies).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's pretty much no reason not to build stuff as soon as you can practically do it.

And a good idea to clear out as much of the surface as you can before you start seriously exploring underground, since there's no wrecks down there. I suggest using scanner rooms- with the way bases work, you can easily load up a Seamoth or Cyclops with all the ingredients for a prefab base you can plop down with a reactor and scanner room, look for wrecks, databoxes and whatever else you need, then pack the whole thing up and try another spot.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Looks like Subnautica is one of the games on the schedule for AGDQ later this week.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I built a Cyclops before I ever went into the Lost River or the Blood Kelp. It's actually pretty easy to build, finding all the parts is the hard part. Same with the PRAWN.

The only place you need to check out that isn't immediately obvious and safe is the mushroom cave, lots of good mats in there

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mason Dixon posted:

Looks like Subnautica is one of the games on the schedule for AGDQ later this week.

It's glitchy enough to make an interesting one

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hows Below Zero coming along? Any goons currently playing it? I love subnautica but I’ve played it to death and whenever I pop by this thread I find myself thinking about picking up the new one

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mason Dixon posted:

i've watched a lot of salvner's runs of subnautica on his channel, he is a great runner and subnautica is a fantastic speedgame. everyone itt should watch that run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Frog Act posted:

Hows Below Zero coming along? Any goons currently playing it? I love subnautica but I’ve played it to death and whenever I pop by this thread I find myself thinking about picking up the new one

It's been a few patches since I last played it, but it was good and fun to play. They are re-doing the main story though, so not sure how that will turn out.