Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ive been playing a fun game at work where i take a google street view pin and drop it on thailand and see how many times it takes to land on a temple or a 7-11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Atlas Hugged posted:

As above, the trick to enjoying Pattaya is to basically stay out of Pattaya.

All inclusive resorts are perfectly fine. restaurants, even their own 7-11 and beach. Never need to go into the city.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How's the Pattaya Hilton?

Or is there decent snorkeling with corals outside of Bangkok that isn't Pattaya? That was my main appeal and it's super cheap.

Any suggestion on Bangkok hotels is also appreciated. Hilton, IHG and Marriott essentially own me at this point.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 20, 2019

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin

Mulozon Empuri posted:

I had a few beers with this delightful guy and he didn't murder me and turn me into a handbag. Good fun, would recommend.

It was really nice we got to make a connection both in Bangkok and then again in Ko Lanta. I got sick with a productive cough in Chiang Mai and had to cancel my plans to visit an overnight Elephant Villant/Karen longnecks, and canceled bicycling around Chiang Rai. Other than that, I spent a solid 28 days in various parts of Bangkok, Ko Lanta, Chiang mai, and Phuket. Met great people, had lots of interesting conversation with expats and locals. Met a woman that loves me and wants me to be her husband (which is not going to happen), but we had a great 4 days together. Met lots of interesting backpacker types. Wandered around Bangkok late at night lost, but never felt in danger. I also kept a very detailed travel guide, writing each detail of every day. I think I'd like to go back one more time to Chiang Mai, and if I did, I'd only stay in the Nimman area. I was not very impressed with the old town. Nimman was very walkable, vibrant, very hip and lively. Old Town just felt old.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Or is there decent snorkeling with corals outside of Bangkok that isn't Pattaya? That was my main appeal and it's super cheap.

Any suggestion on Bangkok hotels is also appreciated. Hilton, IHG and Marriott essentially own me at this point.

It's great. I like it there and Royal Cliffs.

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin

Tab8715 posted:

I did the snorkeling at Ko Rok. I flew in to Krabi district, took a van to Ko Lanta from the airport. Then got a tour set up by the hotel manager. Lots of coral there in those clear blue waters.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Good replies all,

I think I’ll stay in Pattaya for at least two or three days depending on my enjoyment then it’s back to Bangkok. I guess my only last few questions are do I really need to book my hotels in advance? It looks like prices don’t really go up even the day before and everything is open.

And what is the best way to get to Pattaya from the airport? I’ll spend more time researching tonight but initially everything appears to be scam ridden. It looks like the best one is modern air conditioned bus out of the middle of the city... which I guess is fine but seems a bit complicated.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Make sure you do Sanctuary of Truth. There is also a museum where you take selfies and it looks like you are in different environments. It looks worth visiting. Oh yeah, and some flower garden/arboretum.

The selfie museum looks neat:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293919-d3611252-Reviews-Art_in_Paradise_Pattaya-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Grab and Agoda apps. Never been to Pattaya but I'd expect a premium on everything there if it's like the tourist parts of Phucket.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What does the agoda app do? I'll be in BKK in 2 weeks. I've used Grab.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Agoda sucks poo poo though, so be warned. Oh, you booked a hotel a week ago and showed up expecting the reservation to be honored? Haha. Idiot. Sometimes you're stuck with them but you can find good deals elsewhere.

Also, as an aside, they work hand in hand with businesses to establish fake reviews. Look at hotels near Walking Streets and Red Light areas getting family friendly reviews for example.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

My experience with agoda was great, booked some stuff in advance weeks out and as well as same day short notice when I did a bit of a moto tour and wasn't sure of my schedule, even cancelled some places when I changed plans. I think it would totally depend on the place you booked. Fake reviews and lovely places are going to happen no matter what, agoda or otherwise. I was staying in cheap places mostly, obviously some were dumpy but others were a great value.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've booked w/ agoda online many times. Never had a problem.

I thought you meant there was something special in the app.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Tab8715 posted:

I’m landing in Bangkok at 10AM next Tuesday and leaving the following Sunday at 1PM. Is it reasonable to stay in the city and goto Pattaya? It’s freezing -10f and the beach sounds great.

Obviously, I like to party as much as anyone else but I’d prefer to mingle with locals during the day, experience Thailand, etc.

From BKK, the flight to Krabi is roughly the same amount of travel time as a drive to Pattaya. If you want a beach, fly into Krabi on a 12PM flight, go to Ao Nang for Tuesday and Wednesday nights and then fly back Thursday afternoon to Bangkok. Spend Friday going to the Palace, Wat Pho and Wat Arun. Enjoy the nightlife on Thursday and Friday nights.

Its a rushed itinerary, but doable.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I ended up taking the Pattaya Bus from the airport and then a cab back to Bangkok. The traffic wasn’t nearly as bad as described but I suspect that’s due to the holidays.

I’ll post a full trip report later. If anyone’s in Bangkok and wants to meet up I’m down for whatever.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I arrive on the 3rd. Will you still be around?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Blah. I’ll be back on Monday but here until that time.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Assuming you flew into Suvarnabhumi, the bus from Suvarnabhumi to Pattaya isn't too bad because Suvarnabhumi is on the motorway on the far Eastern end of Bangkok.

Suvarnabhumi: East (Motorway)

Don Muang: Northwest (Don Muang Expressway)

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

ReindeerF posted:

It's not the finest hotel in town, but the Victoria used to be a nice place to relax. Not sure who's running it now. Also, it's kind of trite at this point, but a drink or two at the FCC Angkor is always something I enjoy. Pretty building and grounds. Former provincial governor's mansion or something if I recall correctly.

The town pretty much exists because of the ancient city. 15 years ago there were a few guest houses and Pub Street had like I think the Red Piano and maybe the Angkor What? So now there's a bunch of kitschy stuff down by Pub Street and the night market. Of course there's also plenty of development that's happened all over the city.

Still, unless things have changed in the last four or five years, if you face the end of the night market by that crappy fake Irish bar and then turn heading directly away from the market down one of the side streets, within about 5 minutes you'll be in pastures and rickety farm houses.

I guess what I mean to say is there are some fun things to do there now, and some very interesting restaurants and bars, along with things like the circus they have now, but the only thing you really don't want to miss there is the ancient city. For my money, of the temples located in the central complex, Ta Phrom and Bayon were the most interesting. I mean walking up to Angkor Wat for the first time is one of those things you won't forget, and I would not downplay that at all, but the other two word for whatever reason just more interesting to walk through for me.

Oh, and if it hasn't been upgraded, right before you get to the causeway I think for the main temple, Angkor Wat, on the left there was always a concrete bathroom shed with the sparsest of facilities. I'm not the only goon who has walked in there and seeing a little mountain of turds piled up on the squat toilets. You should make it a point to see something so authentic!

On that note, a new series of temples was recently discovered, I think up in the northern end of the country. if you Google something like new Angkor temple complex you will probably find it. If I'm wrong and it's closer you might give that a look. If you're lucky you will be able to see temples that are not being crawled all over by Korean and Chinese package tourists.

I'm in Siem Reap right now and agree on the Bayon and Ta Prohm recommendations. We have hit 7 temples in the last 24 hours and those were my favs.

Staying in the Park Hyatt on points. Nice but comically overpriced (cash rate is $505/night) with so so dining. We had better amok at a neighborhood restaurant for 1/3 the price.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, skip the hotel food in Cambodia if you're trying to eat local. Not a lot of amazing cuisine anyway, but plenty of decent stuff to try. Some random things I recommend aside from the obvious amok and lok lak: Khmer BBQ, Poat Chhar (stir fried corn dish), Lort Chaa (stir fried rat tail noodles). Nothing amazingly challenging there, but good stuff that's slightly off the tourist menu path. Tytan can take credit for the poat chhar.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I really liked the sunrise experience at Angkor Wat itself last time I went. Super awesome to go from complete darkness to seeing the main temple light up. Of course as soon as the light comes out and you look around you and you're surrounded by a million people it loses its appeal, but I still enjoyed it.

Pulling up to Bayon for the first time and seeing the faces and architecture was a huge holy poo poo moment as well.

Mochiballs
Aug 27, 2006
Hi there. I'm actually planning a trip to Thailand and Cambodia this Summer as my girlfriend and I are both teachers. I'm Asian American and she's white so I imagine it'll cause some confusion. We're thinking of staying 2 or 3 weeks there and probably going into either Cambodia or Malaysia. I know it'll be rainy, but do you guys think that's a reason to stay away? How much of a problem is rain in Thailand in July?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I was in Cambodia last weekend and saw a few asian male white female couples around the touristy temples. You may not be alone!

Mochiballs
Aug 27, 2006

Mandalay posted:

I was in Cambodia last weekend and saw a few asian male white female couples around the touristy temples. You may not be alone!

Oh yeah I just mentioned it cause I worked in China briefly and it was funny how people would turn to me when they couldn't understand my then-girlfriend who was British. I couldn't speak a lick of Mandarin. I guess I'll get more of that in Thailand too.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Does anyone have any suggestions about hotels in Singapore? 6 nights for about £100 a night is the target, but I think it's between the Orchard Yotel or the Ramada.

Ramada has an airport shuttle but is maybe further from the action, and I gather they lend you a phone, although my plan lets me roam anyway.

Yotel's Orchard location sounds better connected, compact room but all mid cons and adjustable bed. Has those robots, but maybe lacks some amenities?

They seem popular so maybe someone's tried the breakfast?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Cooking question- what's the best vegetarian alternative to fish sauce, or is there even one to begin with?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Most places will sub in soy sauce, but there are vegetarian fish sauces out there somewhere. I recall seeing them. Shouldn't be too hard to make something smell awful and be salty, heh.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I went to post this in the Myanmar thread but it’s archived so here goes:

Just got back from 2 weeks in the tourist quadrangle. Cell service worked everywhere (and free high speed roaming with my US google Fi account) and the app Grab was fantastic for getting around Yangon and Mandalay.

Things have really improved in the last 15 years, it’s like a different country. The electricity didn’t go out once! We flew domestically on Air KBZ, on brand new ATR 72-600s, poo poo generally worked well. ATMs everywhere with a real exchange rate and my home bank refunded all the fees. Yangon still far ahead of Mandalay but way worse traffic.

Hotels were cheap on the high end, and Yangon has very good ones. The Lotte Hotel and Sule Shangri-La had great rooms, service, food, etc. I enjoyed them as much as the other fancy hotels we went to on the trip, Four Seasons Hk and Park Hyatt Siem Reap.

Also wow the grocery store I went to in Yangon carries everything for the expat! City Market in Sule Square.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

So the first Grab delivery in Thailand was a laptop and it was stolen

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Funnily enough, I can to ask about Grab. I'm planning how to get from Singapore Changi airport to my hotel, probably on Orchard. It's an hour by public transport, or Google maps offers 20 minutes via Grab for under 15SGD, us that the way to go? It seems like good value, maybe it's exploitative or bad in some way I don't see?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's Southeast Asian Uber. Same thing. I don't go to Singapore hardly ever, but every Singaporean I deal with uses Grab constantly when in Thailand, and I recall having a couple of conversations where I've been told that, yeah, that's how everyone gets around everywhere. I would take the train just because I like trains, but Grab probably makes more sense in convenience terms.

In Thailand, around Bangkok at least, it's often less convenient and more expensive than just hailing a taxi, but as a tourist the reliability of it is worth paying the extra, you know, $0.33 or whatever to have the Grab app sort things out for you and to avoid scams from tourist area tourist taxi touts.

EDIT: I guess it technically *is* SEA Uber since they kicked Uber's rear end and bought them out regionally. Hadn't thought of it that way.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 5, 2020

kru
Oct 5, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

Funnily enough, I can to ask about Grab. I'm planning how to get from Singapore Changi airport to my hotel, probably on Orchard. It's an hour by public transport, or Google maps offers 20 minutes via Grab for under 15SGD, us that the way to go? It seems like good value, maybe it's exploitative or bad in some way I don't see?

It will be more than that, but probably the cheapest option. Cab will be 25 odds and much more convenient.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
My parents (late 50s/early 60s) are wanting to visit Thailand in early May.

They recently took my nephew on a fully guided education tour of China, where everything (transportation, meals, sightseeing, propaganda, etc.) was planned and coordinated for them. Does anyone have advice on tour companies that cater to the older crowds?

Initially I thought about trying to book the core things for them (travel to/from Thailand, travel between cities, guided tours via TripAdvisor/airbnb/etc.), but fear this might be too much for them to comfortably navigate.

Should I just see what a conventional travel agency comes up with?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
My mother travels independently (78!) and on guided tours, and she speaks highly of Road Scholar. I can't vouch for anyone in particular, though

Thailand really is training wheels for independent travel. I brought my mother over and showed her this in her sixties and it completely changed her outlook on travel. I crossed into China on my own 17 years ago and traveled overland for about a month and it's night and day. I wouldn't send mom there alone, heh.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have 1,327,000 dongs.

loving lol. This money is hilarious. You can see through it. It has windows.

What happened that caused such crazy inflation? I can't think of any reason for currency in these denominations without inflation.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions about hotels in Singapore? 6 nights for about £100 a night is the target, but I think it's between the Orchard Yotel or the Ramada.

Ramada has an airport shuttle but is maybe further from the action, and I gather they lend you a phone, although my plan lets me roam anyway.

Yotel's Orchard location sounds better connected, compact room but all mid cons and adjustable bed. Has those robots, but maybe lacks some amenities?

They seem popular so maybe someone's tried the breakfast?

I stay with family when I'm in Singapore so I obviously have no clue about hotels, but public transport is really, really good in Singapore so I don't think you should focus on location too much.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Waltzing Along posted:

I have 1,327,000 dongs.

loving lol. This money is hilarious. You can see through it. It has windows.

Wait, have you never seen a security window in a banknote before? They’re pretty common! Here in Oz we’ve had them since the 80s :shrug:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

kanonvandekempen posted:

I stay with family when I'm in Singapore so I obviously have no clue about hotels, but public transport is really, really good in Singapore so I don't think you should focus on location too much.

Ha, literally the only thing I've been obsessing on. Seem to have some good options, guess I just need to evaluate pools against views.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

webmeister posted:

Wait, have you never seen a security window in a banknote before? They’re pretty common! Here in Oz we’ve had them since the 80s :shrug:

Nope. I've seen and/or used:

USD
Yen
Pounds
Baht
Canadian Dollars
Pesos

Probably a couple other European pre-euro thingies when I worked in a bank.

But these dongs are the first time I've seen a window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Money dirty. Hab hole. Change cannot!!!