Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Escobarbarian posted:

Why would I be offended by some lame twist ending over normalising the worst slur for gay people on what will no doubt be the most-watched show in the country on Christmas Day

Late 80's song offends over thirty years later, the story of the song is depicting someone who is not a very nice person, I've never seen it as normalising along with in my experience I've seen the use drop of in use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Late 80's song offends over thirty years later, the story of the song is depicting someone who is not a very nice person, I've never seen it as normalising along with in my experience I've seen the use drop of in use.

It was more Matthew Horne doing a big "whoooaa" face to show how naughty and transgressive their funny comedy joke was by saying the bad word.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

sebzilla posted:

It was more Matthew Horne doing a big "whoooaa" face to show how naughty and transgressive their funny comedy joke was by saying the bad word.

I'm really not sure what they were going for with it, especially since they were nice about "Crossdressers" (they're old and it did work I think) and such earlier on.
We just assumed it'd cut away before that bit.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

njsykora posted:

Gavin and Stacey got over 12m viewers, so I'm sharing this cursed vision of the future.
https://twitter.com/BothersBar/status/1210133538584059904

with the ending singing 'Cop Killer'

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
When my parents put on the new Wurzel Gummage I assumed it wasn't going to be very interesting and I'd return to checking the internet.

Instead it was changing, funny, well acted and plotted. Possibly the best bit of homegrown British TV this Christmas.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Pablo Bluth posted:

When my parents put on the new Wurzel Gummage I assumed it wasn't going to be very interesting and I'd return to checking the internet.

Instead it was changing, funny, well acted and plotted. Possibly the best bit of homegrown British TV this Christmas.

Agree. It was fantastic and Crook was clearly putting some of his Detectorists magic into it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

W-wor-O-wor-R-wor-Z-wor-E-wor-L-worzel

How is that song in my brain, how? How?! It's been decades. My God.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
I watched the first episode and was slowly getting bored until the other scarecrows started shambling. That was wonderful.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I’ve watched Upstart Crow finally having avoided it.

Meh. S’alright.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

thehustler posted:

Meh. S’alright.

It's just somewhat sub-Blackadder. Emma Thompson was in the Christmas ep and gave nothing less than an Emma Thompson performance.

Edit: the Australia nature documentary, voiced by Barry Humphreys, was very good.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 29, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

thehustler posted:

Meh. S’alright.

I just found it really....early 90s. It's a bit like Men Behaving Badly - I don't hate it or anything, it's just there.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Any thoughts on BBC's Dracula? I found the first two episodes great, with a massively squandered setup for the third, choosing to waste a lot of time on a subplot that felt like unwanted filler in an otherwise direct show.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I liked it despite myself to be honest, though I've not seen the third one yet. When it's not quite so Moffat-y it's pretty good and the guy playing Dracula is well cast. Not as annoying as Sherlock, thank gently caress.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The first two episodes were a solid and promising retelling of Dracula. The third was absolute poo poo.

Caros
May 14, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

The first two episodes were a solid and promising retelling of Dracula. The third was absolute poo poo.

I can't even handle how loving stupid the third episode is. It is final episode of Sherlock bad.

Spoilers for those interested.

A somewhat secret society captures Dracula (after stupidly letting him murder two people) and has him trapped in their research facility for study. For some reason they give him a wifi enabled tablet (he guesses the wifi password is Dracula, because of course they are that loving stupid) to dick around on and he contacts his lawyers (the same firm from the fuckint 1890's) and has them send a lawyer. The secret society with armed mercenaries, for some reason, decides to let this lawyer into their secure facility. The man doesn't bat a goddamn eyelash at the fact that Dracula is a vampire, and bullies them into releasing Dracula on the grounds that he will call the police.

Yes, that is the actual real reason they let a five hundred year old vampire who has already murdered two people go free.

Caros fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 4, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Now that's what I call Moffat!

Caros
May 14, 2008

njsykora posted:

Now that's what I call Moffat!

It is just bafflingly bad. Like if I saw that poo poo in transformers 6: The Explosioning I'd consider it a new low for the series for how loving idiotic it is. I just ended up skimming the rest of the episode because it kept being that profoundly bad and I was just done.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Just watched the first episode despite the Moffat/Gatiss combo because of good reviews and I honestly thought it was crap. I find their obsession with adapting but not really adapting something bizarre.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
First episode was terrible but watched the second as I figure morbid curiosity is a perfectly valid reason for watching a show about the undead. Second episode was actually quite good, but if that last scene is anything to go by, the third episode will redefine the term "drizzling shits".

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Derek Acorah has died.

Hurrah!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fViWsBm_1Ac

Was there a bettter UKTV opening credits from the last decade? The Night Manager had great visuals but the music doesn't quite hit the spot. While The Shadowline didn't have great visuals, the music is so overwhelmingly forceful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU2cCqA0HJI

Any other contenders?

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 4, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dell_Zincht posted:

Derek Acorah has died.

Hurrah!

Yep, what absolute loving scum.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Grr why has it cut that off on the thumbnail

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Most Haunted was good unemployment telly to be fair.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Dell_Zincht posted:

Derek Acorah has died.

Hurrah!

Has he given any interviews about it yet?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Christmas/New Year TV was so bad my ma says she's going to stop paying her TV licence.

Like she's said it before but it's not something she says lightly. She believed in the detector vans :tinfoil:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Only just watching dracula now, and jfc I hate how smug these bastards are "its 4 weeks to england, what did you expect me to do, lie around in a box?". It's not enough to adapt a classic novel, you have to make fun of it at every possible opportunity.

Dracula menacing the nuns was pretty fun when he dialled down the camp and actually seemed to enjoy the excitement of mortals challenging him.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I saw the last 40 minutes of the second episode the other night and I thought it was okay if a bit silly. The ending was the most BBC thing ever though and made it feel like I'd been watching Dr Who :laugh:

I'm not dying (lol!!!) to watch the whole thing, anyway

crispix fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 4, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I watched the first episode of What We Do In The Shadows instead of bothering with Dracula and that seems alright.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oh my sweet gently caress, are Moftis incapable of writing stories that don't require everybody to be staggeringly incompetent and recklessly unprofessional?

Look, it's the preserved and lifeless corpse of a vampire, let me shove my bare hand into his mouth.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

are Moftis incapable of writing stories
Yes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

That just desperately wants to be a Bond opening.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Watching the first episode of Dracula I wanted to hit myself after the Hungarian nun made a reference to Sherlock and getting help from him to find Mina

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Pablo Bluth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fViWsBm_1Ac

Was there a bettter UKTV opening credits from the last decade? The Night Manager had great visuals but the music doesn't quite hit the spot. While The Shadowline didn't have great visuals, the music is so overwhelmingly forceful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU2cCqA0HJI

Any other contenders?

drat, I completely forgot about the shadow line and how great that title sequence was. Can't remember anything at all about the show itself, but the titles give me chills.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

The Perfect Element posted:

drat, I completely forgot about the shadow line and how great that title sequence was. Can't remember anything at all about the show itself, but the titles give me chills.

I remember a really great cold open with a body in a car. Good show.

The title sequence for His Dark Materials was better than the show itself, tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRaT0QXAxCw

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

The Perfect Element posted:

And as usual, if it's good in the last 10 years, you can't attribute it to the BBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmInliE7dE

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

njsykora posted:

I watched the first episode of What We Do In The Shadows instead of bothering with Dracula and that seems alright.

It’s absolutely super. There’s a big thread about it somewhere.

There’s also a film (which was first) set in New Zealand.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Kin posted:

And as usual, if it's good in the last 10 years, you can't attribute it to the BBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmInliE7dE
Although they've not the same; the Shadowline added the pounding drum beat.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Red Oktober posted:

It’s absolutely super. There’s a big thread about it somewhere.

There’s also a film (which was first) set in New Zealand.

Just want to echo both of these points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Although I like flight of the conchords so of course I've heard of the film it still always shocks me there are people who have watched the show but don't even know the film exists
It feels bizzare!