Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Hat Thoughts posted:

How’s the snk collection?

If you're interested in the games it's a fantastic collection with almost anything you could ask for in terms of extras and features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I got a new soundbar and my switch behaves really weird with it. The soundbar is just hooked to my tv through arc HDMI. Switch menu will have sounds for a couple seconds and then go completely silent. Games mostly work, but there is weirdness. Like whenever in Zelda 3 you exit a dungeon or cave, the sound cuts off when the screen fades black and then cuts back on about a second after the next area loads. Loading screens in more modern games seem to have similar things happening. The menu in the snes app doesn't work at all.

Anyone run into this or have a fix? The switch has like zero sound settings apart from stereo or mono. The soundbar seems to choose either nothing at all or PCM

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Procrastine posted:

How's the port quality on the Spyro collection?

Just finished them all 100%. It's a good port. There's some slowdown in later areas of Spyro 3, but the quality is p good.

I do love the Spyro games, so I'm a little biased.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

How’s the snk collection?

The 40th anniversary collection? A good museum piece, not a lot in the way of fun games. If you like game history, it's worth a few evenings, but if you want something fun to play give it a skip.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Anyone run into this or have a fix? The switch has like zero sound settings apart from stereo or mono. The soundbar seems to choose either nothing at all or PCM

A lot of sound bars go into a sleep mode after only a second or two of silence to save power and then take a bit of time to react when the sound comes back. This is a common issue with gaming with sound bars in general and if the sound bar doesn't have any settings that can be adjusted there's probably not a solution other than trying a different model.

Edit: Vizio sound bars in particular are supposed to be really bad about this. Back when the Switch launched there were several people in the old thread that couldn't play 1-2-Switch because the audio cues wouldn't come through at all.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 5, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I got a new soundbar and my switch behaves really weird with it. The soundbar is just hooked to my tv through arc HDMI. Switch menu will have sounds for a couple seconds and then go completely silent. Games mostly work, but there is weirdness. Like whenever in Zelda 3 you exit a dungeon or cave, the sound cuts off when the screen fades black and then cuts back on about a second after the next area loads. Loading screens in more modern games seem to have similar things happening. The menu in the snes app doesn't work at all.

Ok, this is a longshot, but are there any settings for your soundbar? It sounds like there's possibly an audio gating effect going on. Imagine a gate that, when closed, prevents all sound from being heard, and when open, allows all sound to be heard. What triggers a gate to open is usually a signal at specific volume and amount of time, and mostly the reverse for when it closes. If there is an audio gate, it's likely cutting off when the sound gets to a certain low volume, and then there's a delay (or "attack", as it's referred to in the recording world) after hearing the signal before the gate fully opens.

If you find these settings, you might be able to adjust them to your taste, but I'd just shut it all off. Look for something that mentions 'sensitivity'.

Special bonus info: why would anyone need a gating effect? One of the most common uses is when you've got multiple mics set up on a drumkit, and you don't want some low level snare sound to be picked up by the tom mics. A properly adjusted gate effect would stay closed for minor signals, and it's open for a louder one, like for whatever drum head it's actually closest to.

Sorry for all the :eng101:

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Any word on Carrion coming to switch?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
DQXI is a weird game. It has all these dumb nonsensical things that were sensational and attention grabbing when you were coding for 16 bit consoles, like big glowy close-up renders of plot macguffins in a world-detatched jewel case, or the "party member joined" cutscene being a thing that is basically a static unskippable screen while a 16 second fanfare plays and you get another beer. Or the needlessly verbose skipping through dialogue boxes when i just wanna save my game.
And then it has the ultra-comfy auto-run (which i loved in FFXIV too), plus the very convenient sprint-toggle that doubles as auto-run, plus turning on L and R that make lazily and relaxedly navigating the world a breeze without touching the joysticks; that's so good every game should have it.

I also ended up in the seedy lower reaches of an imperial city, with a guard watching the only path up to the higher parts of the city. The game made a big deal out of showing me a cutscene that details the weaknesses of the guard (bribes, tiddies, scary dogs), then let me loose on what i assume was supposed to be a free-form hunt to find the means to get to the upper city.
So i can probably try to get that dog, but have to do quests for the owner first, or maybe find a way to bribe him, or find a wench to distract him, or maybe i can just help someone else dig an entirely new tunnel shortcut up there, or....

I weighed my options, said gently caress all that and just... slowly walked past the guard in broad daylight.

Still not entirely sure what was up with that part of the game. :confused:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

BOTW is almost finished!

Wrapped up the Champion's Ballad DLC today. What a wonderful bit of DLC. Tons of fun and the extra memories and story from the diaries (plus that final scene) was worth the price of admission alone. I love the Champions (especially Urbosa) so much and I hope BOTW2 gives us even more of them. Although I don't know that it will.

The Master Cycle Zero is a blast to ride around on too. But unfortunately by sheer coincidence I decided to ride it near the desert and ended up running right into Big Horse immediately after acquiring it and Big Horse is even better so now I ride Big Horse.

Tomorrow (when the TV is free) I'll finish it up and then it's on to Pokemon.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Naming my horsies was probably one of the most difficult parts of BotW for me.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

dr.acula posted:

Any word on Carrion coming to switch?

I loved the demo on Steam, and I'd be stoked to play it on Switch. Their previous game, Butcher got ported so I'm hopeful.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
How did Shakedown Hawaii shape up? It’s $10 for a week or so. I enjoyed Retro City Rampage and this seems pretty similar.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Len posted:

Who is Emily Rogers? Google turned up people unrelated to videogames and a Gamefaqs post from last February debating the reliability of her rumors

Girl that is insanely 'my dad works for nintendo' tier

Leaks a million things and when she's wrong deletes all the wrong tweets before starting again. In the off chance she gets things right she leaves it up. It's a good idea to never believe her when it comes to these kinds of things as you'll wind up burned more often than not.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ragequit posted:

How did Shakedown Hawaii shape up? It’s $10 for a week or so. I enjoyed Retro City Rampage and this seems pretty similar.

I absolutely loved it for the entire two afternoons it took me to 100% it

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Skeezy posted:

Setting DQXIS to auto fight while listening to podcasts or watching YT and grinding out levels is the definition of comfy gaming.

You don’t need to grind at all in the game but it’s so relaxing and fun for me.

I mean, I’m new to this kind of genre but if you do that, what exactly are you left actually experiencing? If I’m listening to some other narrative, and the Game is fighting for me, am I just walking??

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Feenix posted:

I mean, I’m new to this kind of genre but if you do that, what exactly are you left actually experiencing? If I’m listening to some other narrative, and the Game is fighting for me, am I just walking??

I'm not moving forward with the plot while I do it. For example, I spent some time in the desert around Gallopolis and just mindlessly ran into enemies around there while I caught up on YT videos. I don't move the plot without paying attention.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

BOTW is almost finished!

Wrapped up the Champion's Ballad DLC today. What a wonderful bit of DLC. Tons of fun and the extra memories and story from the diaries (plus that final scene) was worth the price of admission alone. I love the Champions (especially Urbosa) so much and I hope BOTW2 gives us even more of them. Although I don't know that it will.

The Master Cycle Zero is a blast to ride around on too. But unfortunately by sheer coincidence I decided to ride it near the desert and ended up running right into Big Horse immediately after acquiring it and Big Horse is even better so now I ride Big Horse.

Tomorrow (when the TV is free) I'll finish it up and then it's on to Pokemon.
I beat my first Divine Beast an hour or so ago!!!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I named the big horse "Denise" as a Zelda deep lore joke for an audience of me.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

RandomFerret posted:

I absolutely loved it for the entire two afternoons it took me to 100% it

I am all for short and sweet games. Howlongtobeat.com says it’s 10 hours or so. Does that match your experience?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'd give it more like 5 or 6. Also 100%ing it is kinda tedious. You'll have seen and done everything there is to do within 3-4 hours.

That said it's still a great play for $10.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How’s it compare to Retro City Rampage? I enjoyed that one.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Leaks a million things and when she's wrong deletes all the wrong tweets before starting again. In the off chance she gets things right she leaves it up. It's a good idea to never believe her when it comes to these kinds of things as you'll wind up burned more often than not.

This is not the person you're thinking of. Emily doesn't tweet, she writes blogs that have veiled information and speculation. She's also one of the most accurate ”leakers” for Nintendo, for example she announced cadence before it was known.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

bushisms.txt posted:

This is not the person you're thinking of. Emily doesn't tweet, she writes blogs that have veiled information and speculation. She's also one of the most accurate ”leakers” for Nintendo, for example she announced cadence before it was known.

drat she really nailed it. There it is, right there. eShop game #1

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rageaholic posted:

I beat my first Divine Beast an hour or so ago!!!
Congrats!! :D Which one did you go for? I went with Vah Medoh first on my brother's recommendation and I appreciated it more and more as I played. Absolutely fantastic game. Just finished it and couldn't be happier with it. May come back to it one day to finish up the rest of the sidequests just because the world and characters are so cute.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
That's' just the nature of the rumor mill. Some are bound to be untrue. The same GameFAQs thread tallied her rumors from 2016-2018 and she got way more hits than misses, and the confirmed ones weren't trivial to just invent, like details about the Switch, BOTW, and Mario x Rabbids before any of them were even called Switch, BOTW, or Mario x Rabbids. That's hardly "'my dad works for nintendo' tier".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Congrats!! :D Which one did you go for? I went with Vah Medoh first on my brother's recommendation and I appreciated it more and more as I played. Absolutely fantastic game. Just finished it and couldn't be happier with it. May come back to it one day to finish up the rest of the sidequests just because the world and characters are so cute.
Thanks! I went for Vah Ruta (the elephant one). I haven't even seen the others. Hoping to fix that in due time. The map is just so massive and there's so much I haven't unlocked yet.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Please don't refer to adult women as girls.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rageaholic posted:

Thanks! I went for Vah Ruta (the elephant one). I haven't even seen the others. Hoping to fix that in due time. The map is just so massive and there's so much I haven't unlocked yet.
I found my way to Vah Ruta first too! I just ended up leaving and coming back for it later. Take your time with the map too, even after leaving Zora's Domain it probably took me a few days of playing to actually reach the Rito village because I kept getting distracted with quests and shrines.

BotW has the best sense of exploration and "what's over that mountain?" just demolishes hours of time before you realize what's happened. The freedom of movement means you can basically go anywhere and do anything right from the start so it's so easy to get lost just trying stuff out. Although I used a guide at the end to make sure I'd done everything, I'd managed to find a good 80% of the shrines on my own just by looking at the map, seeing somewhere I hadn't been, and going there just because I figured there had to be something there worth seeing or getting.

It's also ruined me and my fiance for other open world games. She picked up Witcher 3 after playing BotW and the inability to climb everything is so infuriating.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I got my gf Pokemon Shield for Christmas. We've been playing it together over the break and it's really fun. It's extra fun now that we are in the post game (I guess the post main league stuff) dealing with these celebrities lol.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

American McGay posted:

drat she really nailed it. There it is, right there. eShop game #1

I mean, that list isn't wrong, the retro stuff is obviously on hold, but she even went into pseudo detail about the labo kit on era. Emily is pretty much the one legit leaker, all others spin from her or Patrick's hints. Oh and Zell.

That's not her blog either.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 5, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

BotW has the best sense of exploration and "what's over that mountain?" just demolishes hours of time before you realize what's happened. The freedom of movement means you can basically go anywhere and do anything right from the start so it's so easy to get lost just trying stuff out.
Seriously! The past few nights I've forgotten to check the time for a while and been like "Oh, it's 4/5AM already? Oops."

HowLongToBeat says it takes like 50 hours to beat this game but I can't imagine I'll be spending that little time with it. There's so much to see and do even setting aside the main quest.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Rageaholic posted:

Seriously! The past few nights I've forgotten to check the time for a while and been like "Oh, it's 4/5AM already? Oops."

HowLongToBeat says it takes like 50 hours to beat this game but I can't imagine I'll be spending that little time with it. There's so much to see and do even setting aside the main quest.

please electrozap my brain so that I can make it new all over again

I spent, ahem, a bit more than 50 hours on it

keep on climbing around. there's so much fun stuff to discover and its always great fun getting a real sense for koroks eg where you can see a rock and know a YA HA HA! awaits

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

bushisms.txt posted:

I mean, that list isn't wrong, the retro stuff is obviously on hold, but she even went into pseudo detail about the labo kit on era. Emily is pretty much the one legit leaker, all others spin from her or Patrick's hints. Oh and Zell.

That's not her blog either.

The new labo kit is the only correct one in that list.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I can't believe DQ XI is only 40 euro in Europe. I have genuinely no room on my plate for such a long RPG, but wow. That's a price, I hope it hits those lows in two years time when I can actually imagine playing it.

Also we got Yoshi cheapened but not Kirby?! They're just leaving money on the table.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

nintendo is still semi regularly putting new Labo VR editor garage scenes (or w/e its actually called) on the news channel and that continues to make me wonder that their long term vision wants to be

it seems oddball but also very nintendo maybe poking around for community talent with a pretty crazily extensive editor that most people will never see imo

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

SeANMcBAY posted:

How’s it compare to Retro City Rampage? I enjoyed that one.

Basically a 16-bit Retro City Rampage with a lot of quality improvements. If you loved RCR, it's an instant buy even without a sale. That's just icing.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The Wii U port I want is NES Remix. I never got to play it and it sounds pretty cool.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Is there any clue on when the next Direct will be?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
How is Octopath Traveler? Having a lot more fun with Dragon Quest XI, and curious if there are other jrpg's that are good to scratch that itch.