Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Budget would be Behringer I guess

I was kinda leanin' PreSonus since I was going to try out Studio One as well. So basically looking at Behringer, PreSonus and Focusrite.

Got about $300

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Might I offer a bit of a challenge to the thread? Have you ever heard Wendy Carlos' music, like this: https://youtu.be/GwYWp_bOWZg

Well nobody does anything like that. So my friendly challenge to you is by January 20th to get a bit of the ol' ultraviolence out of your system and do synthesizer covers of orchestral songs. I'd be really interested to see what you can do with it! I will post something later.

probably not what was intended but I wanted to learn how to use Famitracker so I combined the two and did Bach's Harpsichord Concerto No.1 NES style :pram: (VRC6 chip so I guess technically Famicom style)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_8V3MluMKk

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Your Computer posted:

probably not what was intended but I wanted to learn how to use Famitracker so I combined the two and did Bach's Harpsichord Concerto No.1 NES style :pram: (VRC6 chip so I guess technically Famicom style)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_8V3MluMKk

That’s cooler than what I intended

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I had done a few of these a while ago - it's the 3rd movement from Bela Bartok's Romanian Folk Dances Sz 56. I particularly love the arrangements for Piano and Violin, actually more than how this came out, heh, but, it fits so I uploaded it for you all.

https://soundcloud.com/tenfingerstentoes/bela-bartok-romanian-folk-dances-sz-56-3rd-movement-arrangement-for-modular-synthesizer

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Oh. My. God. Those sounds about 8:52 till the end makes my heart flutter. Lorrrrd. (Reminder: $150 HoF2 pedal being used also)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqCboLUPDC8

They also announced the Yellow and Black TD3. The yellow one has the smiley on it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 31, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Philthy posted:

Oh. My. God. Those sounds about 8:52 till the end makes my heart flutter. Lorrrrd. (Reminder: $150 HoF2 pedal being used also)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqCboLUPDC8

They also announced the Yellow and Black TD3. The yellow one has the smiley on it.

I'm so salty about the yellow because I'm still waiting on my preorder from 2 months ago.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
yah, I have a not-red one i preordered that feels like half a year ago and who knows when ill see that thing

same with that korg nu-tekt that was supposed to be out in like october or nov and its literally like a $5 arduino with 5 capacitors maybe 2 resistors and some cardboard what the gently caress korg

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

according to a sales rep from sweetwater, they're expecting mid march for the td-3

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Pillow Face posted:

according to a sales rep from sweetwater, they're expecting mid march for the td-3

This is... unfortunate. Guess I'll have to keep watching europeans play with them on youtube until my preorder from forever ago finally comes in.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Pillow Face posted:

oof. my dude told me February. gently caress.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm so salty about the yellow because I'm still waiting on my preorder from 2 months ago.

I'm still wondering when they're going to "release" about every remaining dream synth left overnight and while we're all waiting for delivery the board is going to vanish in what is the first ever synthesizer-based ponzi scheme.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
I am finally about to resume my long-planned project to record a "one-synth-challenge" track for each hardware synth I own. (I started this several years back with finished tracks for the Roland MKS-7 and Waldorf Blofeld, but got sidelined by this subforum's Rockstar competitions- RIP by the way- and other things. I am also much better at this stuff now than I was then, so I might re-do at least the MKS-7 project.)

Anyway, I want to record some of my synths' drum sections to put into Battery kits to make some of these projects easier to record/mix. I'm a bit of a ninja at SampleRobot, however my version (4.8) can no longer be activated- their legacy activation server is busted- and I don't feel like paying $130 USD for an upgrade to the current version, since I need literally zero of the new features. SampleRobot's support hasn't responded to me (I know, holidays are slow), so I impulsively ordered a single-synth edition of Chicken Systems Translator, since I hear its auto sampling feature is pretty solid. Of course this is another one of those tiny companies that handles all orders manually, so who knows when I'll ever get my serial number for that.

I'm a Windows person, so I can't use MainStage or whatever. I've heard of a program called Soundlib Samplit, but have no read on how useable/reliable it is.

QUESTION: To any of you who have sampled your own hardware instruments: What do/did you use to do that? All I really want is something that:
  • Triggers MIDI notes at the range/channel/velocity I specify and records the results into individual samples.
  • Ideally intelligently sets good start/end points to the samples. (I do one-shots only; don't need looping features.)
  • Ideally uses a naming convention to make identifying/sorting the resulting sample files a reasonable task.

Synths I'm planning demos for: Roland MKS-50/70/80 (My MKS-30 has a bad voice chip :( ), Roland D-110, Waldorf Pulse/Streichfett/Rocket, and a couple of the more advanced Roland SoundCanvas units.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 3, 2020

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I used my DAW to do the triggering and recording. It's not hard to draw out some midi that triggers every note once, spaced out sufficiently. Then used sox to auto slice out the non-silence bits. Then probably used Den4b Renamer to rename what was likely just sequentially numbered files into something intelligible. The fiddliest bit was determining what dB levels would qualify as silence for sox. At the softest velocities I would sometimes lose an otherwise near inaudible bit of the tail of the sound, but otherwise decent results are achievable. I recommend finding out beforehand what kinds of filenames whatever sampler plugin you want to use for playback later can auto parse to a mapping.

I'm sure workflow-wise a lot can be improved on that with specialized, integrated (and paid) software, but it beat the hell out of doing poo poo entirely manually.

Judge Judy
Apr 16, 2001
I'm not sure if it exactly fits your needs or if you use Ableton, but Tom Cosm's external resampler is pay what you want.

https://gumroad.com/l/gjVM

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I would so badly for my Korg volcas to work with a 1 Spot. I have a polarity converter. I know that would be step once since the volcas work in opposite polarity. How about the barrel size? Is there a connecter I can put on that converts the barrel size to on that fits into the volca? Is there an AC to DC conversion that needs to happen?

Also, if you were wondering about the polarity adapter, I got this one. It results in the same barrel size: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004EBG5QE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NLPdEbBKQNXSM

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Cheapest way would be to cut the 1 Spot and re-wire it, then use a barrel adapter. Alternatively:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1SpotCYR--truetone-1-spot-reverse-polarity-converter

Then buy a barrel adapter that fits your Volcas. Otherwise both your Volca power supply and the Spot put out 9V and enough amperage to power a bunch of gear, no other fudging required.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Good Sphere posted:

I would so badly for my Korg volcas to work with a 1 Spot. I have a polarity converter. I know that would be step once since the volcas work in opposite polarity. How about the barrel size? Is there a connecter I can put on that converts the barrel size to on that fits into the volca? Is there an AC to DC conversion that needs to happen?

Also, if you were wondering about the polarity adapter, I got this one. It results in the same barrel size: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004EBG5QE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NLPdEbBKQNXSM

Don't know where to get it but they're out there, grabbed a few from a synth meet. Basically just an adapter to the correct barrel from the standard 9v one. Did not realize about the polarity but I assume it does that as well.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

JamesKPolk posted:

Don't know where to get it but they're out there, grabbed a few from a synth meet. Basically just an adapter to the correct barrel from the standard 9v one. Did not realize about the polarity but I assume it does that as well.

I got these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MM1MD7C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1LQdEbF8S0ECW

Hopefully this along with the polarity adapter connected to the One Spot will work. If I’m in luck nothing will explode and break!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Good Sphere posted:

I got these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MM1MD7C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1LQdEbF8S0ECW

Hopefully this along with the polarity adapter connected to the One Spot will work. If I’m in luck nothing will explode and break!
you should be fine to run one per onespot, but id imagine itll work like the moogerfoogers i tried to put on a onespot and give intense ground hum if you daisy chain multiple units on the polarity inverter

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Flipperwaldt posted:

The fiddliest bit was determining what dB levels would qualify as silence for sox. At the softest velocities I would sometimes lose an otherwise near inaudible bit of the tail of the sound, but otherwise decent results are achievable.
Wow, that's sounding really familiar. I am pretty sure I've dealt with that same stuff with sox, but I can't remember why. I think once I tried using Ableton's sampler and mmm ReNoise or something to try to isolate quiet patches between one-hits, but could never come up with a satisfying workflow.

Judge Judy posted:

I'm not sure if it exactly fits your needs or if you use Ableton, but Tom Cosm's external resampler is pay what you want.

Hmm, never heard of that one. I will have a look!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Sort of on topic - any recommendations for a ground loop isolator, or is a generic one fine? The Minilogue connected via USB is super noisy.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fONVZIPLQlU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I'm DIYing a wind synth, and today I got to first MIDI :sax: which is a milestone. It doesn't play in tune and I'm fighting noise from the CPU, but whatever, in light of the current synth challenge, I humbly submit:

https://soundcloud.com/snowcloud/crunchy-sax

snorch fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 5, 2020

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

snorch posted:

I'm DIYing a wind synth, and today I got to first MIDI :sax: which is a milestone. It doesn't play in tune and I'm fighting noise from the CPU, but whatever, in light of the current synth challenge, I humbly submit:

That's dope af. I've tried to enjoy breath/wind controllers every so often over the years and, having played low woodwinds so long, could just never get the feel. There are midified bass clarinets out there but fukken $lol.
Did you go for a 'real' instrument shape or more like the original steiner kind of thing of rudimentary block shapes and switches instead of 'pads' or other works?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

snorch posted:

Nice. But I was really hoping it was going to be Songbird.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Startyde posted:

That's dope af. I've tried to enjoy breath/wind controllers every so often over the years and, having played low woodwinds so long, could just never get the feel. There are midified bass clarinets out there but fukken $lol.
Did you go for a 'real' instrument shape or more like the original steiner kind of thing of rudimentary block shapes and switches instead of 'pads' or other works?

Very cool. Sounds real.

If I bought a Moog Matriarch, would that also make a good midi controller? The Novation Summit is also out, but I really like the workflow of the Grandmother, which I want to upgrade.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Startyde posted:

Right now I'm using a Yamaha WX5 controller to control the synth part of it, which is running on a 32-bit microcontroller. My end goal is to create a self-contained unit that has a sax form factor to provide a head-upright playing posture. I'm aiming to have sax-style mechanical keys like the WX5, along with some nice extras like selectable breath resistance, analog pitch bend keys to replace the trill keys, and better embouchure control.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

excellent bird guy posted:

Very cool. Sounds real.

If I bought a Moog Matriarch, would that also make a good midi controller? The Novation Summit is also out, but I really like the workflow of the Grandmother, which I want to upgrade.

I really don't like the "synth as a controller for itself and a midi controller for other synths" thing. There are a ton of compromisey reasons to do it and if you have room for only 1 keyboard well I mean thats a good one but I've tried it a couple times and have always been happier w/ a dedicated controller for most everything and then using keyboards attached to things when it made sense on a sporadic/case by case basis. My favorite is the MPC and my second favorite is the Qunexus but mine broke in a dumb way and they have fucky warranty policies and I'm mad about it.

Caveat is I am truly a child of the MPC and I really like bangin out arps chords and melodies on a 4x4 grid, much moreso than the whites and blacks. This has hamstrung me in many ways but also opened up a lot of venues - considering chord relationships as a x y vector for example made them click way better than keys and steps (some of this might have been coming from a fretted instrument originally).

I don't think there's ultimately right answer for this as a its individual preferences and b making a decision and spending a year practicing leads to better outcomes than spending a year considering and demoing options, regardless of what you land on, but these are my thoughts. Just hope I can save you the stress of hunting down an 88 key weighted board if you never learned/are gonna learn something w/ actual hammers which feels like the all-to-frequent end point of this discussion. (If you do/are yeah you do want the weighted action but there's such a piano supremacy meme in the community that people forget that thats not them).

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Thank you so much, that is very interesting. I will look more into grid based controllers. That sounds like a novel way to approach music. I have Ableton Live but haven't used any midi features. It's too bad because I own a Deepmind 12 that isn't getting much love.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

You beat Mr. Dick to it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mr. Dick posted:

You beat Mr. Dick to it.

Well I've got Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, so hands off that one too. :colbert:

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

A couple days ago I got a used Alesis sr18, and it's a blast.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Also wanted to say while Wendy Carlos' work was great, this is the most amazing Classical rendition possible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2kcOCsALnw

quote:

ceephaxacidcrew
7 years ago
It was made on a non midi TB-303, I copied the score from Bach's prelude no.1 in C which is all monophonic and quite simple to read and put in to the 303. Most patterns are 8 16ths long with accents on the 5th and 8th notes. The patterns are repeated twice per bar. I chained every pattern in each pattern group start to finish in song mode and manually changed the pattern group from I to II to III and back again throughout the song, used up about 36 patterns on the 303 + took about 3 or 4 hours!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Hm.
https://twitter.com/jjbbllkk/status/1214274553947443205?s=21

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I'm... actually surprised it sounds so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0kq0yCTpNE

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I'm... actually surprised it sounds so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0kq0yCTpNE

Genesis was pretty widely considered the best sounding of the 16-bit generation, no?

Also, the Notes and Volts channel he namechecks for the MIDI control Arduino poo poo is pretty rad, too. Makes me want to dig out my SID synth project from a couple years ago and finally get it to its 2.0 configuration.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

rickiep00h posted:

Genesis was pretty widely considered the best sounding of the 16-bit generation, no?

Also, the Notes and Volts channel he namechecks for the MIDI control Arduino poo poo is pretty rad, too. Makes me want to dig out my SID synth project from a couple years ago and finally get it to its 2.0 configuration.

Yes of course, but he so easily makes it sing sounds so different from the usual genesis tracks that I wonder if the composers were limited by some presets or just remaining conservative in the sounds they were using.

I know nothing about FM also, besides the basics.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The arrangements you guys are making are amazing

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

rickiep00h posted:

Most people think SNES sounds better. For example, check the Street Fighter differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
SNES had eight PCM channels vs. the six FM voices on the Genesis (one of which can be put into PCM mode, but must be constantly fed samples from the CPU, making it unattractive). While I imagine hearing that after years of games sounding like "bleep-bloop" would be a mindblowing experience, I think the SNES is a clear winner as far as versatility goes.

Being all-PCM does however mean that the sound chip doesn't contribute a lot to the character of the sound, which I guess is why it's not terribly popular amongst the chip music scene. Compounding this, there are zillions of Amiga trackers out there that will give you the same sort of sound and music making experience.