Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fuzz posted:

There was an explanation for this that was cut.

When you meditate you're actually using the Force to see what will happen, the times you die are the "bad outcomes" and the one where you survive and get to the next meditation point is the "correct future" where things all worked out.

Got a source for that? I've only seen it as an after the fact fan-justification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Fuzz posted:

When you meditate you're actually using the Force to see what will happen, the times you die are the "bad outcomes" and the one where you survive and get to the next meditation point is the "correct future" where things all worked out.

Basically an inverse of Prince of Persia.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
So I'd been playing this game for quite awhile and just could never parry melee attacks properly. I ended up resorting to just using blocks and dodges. Now I found out that there's actually a trick to parrying. Once I started doing this, I got much better at parrying and can do it fairly reliably now. I now share this trick in case anyone else here didn't know.

Unlike most games with a parrying mechanic, you don't just tap the block button. You have to tap and hold the button.

Why they decided to do it this way instead of the standard way is a mystery to me. It's not intuitive at all.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Parrying is situational but I do find it the easiest way to handle certain enemies on GM:

- Spiders
- Nydak
- Malicos
- Stormtroopers (ranged)
- Droid bounty hunters (ranged) -- also their charge has super tracking but you can Force Slow and calmly walk out of the way

Some enemies you're just making it harder on yourself if you try to parry instead of using precision dodge or other tricks:

- Nightbrothers (melee)
- Purge troopers
- Other lightsaber bosses

There are also a few special vulnerabilities that can be taken advantage of:
- Scazz -- sprinting attack into the spawn point will kill them before they pop out of the ground
- Security droid -- double strong attack always staggers, making it vulnerable to BD slice
- Jotaz -- fully upgraded push knocks it over for a long time

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Got a source for that? I've only seen it as an after the fact fan-justification.

I don't think it matters. But to reiterate - I don't think this is bad choice, it's just one that narrows the game's focus on gameplay mechanics in exchange for not being able to do so much with story.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Promethium posted:

- Jotaz -- fully upgraded push knocks it over for a long time

This was pretty funny to see when I was mopping up some collectables in the ice caves. Felt like I was playing Force Unleashed for a minute :)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Alchenar posted:

I think Tomb Raider is the one I'd think of that is extremely similar (right down to the campfire as save points) but different in this respect. And that's a game that very much leans into having a strong central narrative and characterisation where you will only ever play though a sequence once, rather than on gameplay that's intended to be repeated over and over.

e: or The Witcher 3 - that's a game that understands you can't just reset the bandits you just killed on the road or the monster nest you just blew up.

Fair, I've played both of those and I'm just realizing that's far enough out of my expectations for a game that I didn't consciously notice it in either one. Just differences in what we want I guess.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Fuzz posted:

This was actual content at one point? I thought it was just your amazing personal answer to an earlier question about the meditation points from way earlier in the thread.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Side note, I've been continuing to fiddle around with the game occasionally, and man...it feels a lot more natural after some fiddling with the controls.

For PS4, I swapped L1/R1 to be Force pull/push, and moved block/strike to L2/R2. I'm still testing out the face button options, but those make a ton of difference. The two sets of actions I'm most commonly using in combat are now all paired together, and it especially helps the saber moves to be on the big triggers rather than a mix of the more awkward L1 & a face button. Wish I'd experimented with it in my first playthrough.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
A-a-a-and 100%. I think its only this and Spider-Man* that Ive gotten all of on PS4.

* not counting New Game+ and the DLCs

EDIT: No, wait, also Rayman Legends.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 3, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I like the game so far, a bit disappointed in the comparisons to Souls because so far it only seems like thats true in the bloodstain mechanic, which I'm impressed with how they've put the spin on it that you must attack the thing to get your poo poo back. Movement, or at least while attacking, as well as attacking itself isn't quite as fluent as I'd like but I'm still getting the hang of it. I get a lot of Uncharted vibes.

I've already encountered two types of enemies on two different planets with seemingly the same attack pattern, so I hope that isn't a trend. Likewise the pipe walking everywhere. Stormies are almost too easy, especially the ranged ones. I'm already done with the banter between Cal and BD1 but I enjoy hearing my enemies' remarks as I'm cutting them down.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

codo27 posted:

I'm already done with the banter between Cal and BD1

Some bad news for you, re: the rest of the game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Lead Psychiatry posted:

This was actual content at one point? I thought it was just your amazing personal answer to an earlier question about the meditation points from way earlier in the thread.

I dunno, I'd heard it mentioned in a stream at some point after I posted that, too. Will have to look into it. The streamer mentioned there was a flashback with your master where he explains the Force foresight, it was so oddly specific I figured there was some truth to it and I had just stumbled on my rationalization accidentally.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 3, 2020

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

So, I have heard and seen it spoken of on the internet that you should go to Dathamir first to get the double bladed light saber. Not once have I seen it mentioned that you can get it on the first planet if you go back after getting Push. I just thought I'd let anyone who didn't know this, know. Since it seems a hell of a lot easier than having to run past everything on Dathamir to avoid getting shredded.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Just finished the game and gonna echo what that guy earlier said. The story was the best part but the ending was pretty deeply unsatisfying. The combat was ok - even with fully upgraded Force abilities and meter, it was way too limited for my liking.

I regret getting any of the cosmetics - ponchos, really?

Overall, I'd say it was ok. Respawn did really knock out the characterization for Cal and Cere out of the water. I felt like I was watching real characters. Hoping the next one will be better.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

sigher posted:

After 5 or so hours eh, it was just a quick way of getting rid of enemies I didn't care to fight.

Where's my ability to rip blasters, RPGs, gatling guns, staves and axes out of enemies hands and use them for a limited time to break up the monotony of just using a lightsaber. Hell, why can't I force crush a Flametrooper's gas tank and cause them to blow right the gently caress up turning them into walking bombs?

Tarezax posted:

Someone never pushed a flame trooper into a wall

Nor did he ever push an RPG back at someone!!!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Sammus posted:

So, I have heard and seen it spoken of on the internet that you should go to Dathamir first to get the double bladed light saber. Not once have I seen it mentioned that you can get it on the first planet if you go back after getting Push. I just thought I'd let anyone who didn't know this, know. Since it seems a hell of a lot easier than having to run past everything on Dathamir to avoid getting shredded.

Yeah if you do it this way there's even a little cutscene where Cal finds Cordova's old saber and welds it onto Japal's.

Judging by this thread and the game's subreddit I think I'm one of approximately five people in the world who got it this way.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah if you do it this way there's even a little cutscene where Cal finds Cordova's old saber and welds it onto Japal's.

Judging by this thread and the game's subreddit I think I'm one of approximately five people in the world who got it this way.

I had no idea it wasnt gotten back on Bogano, either.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The point you can find it on Kashyyyk is pretty weird, both for how random it is and that you get dumped into a big boss fight right afterwards. It sure felt like the game was giving you a chance to use an awesome new tool but no, it's objectively worse at that point for one-on-one combat.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If you get it on Dathomir (or Kashyyk apparently) you still get the "it's a nice saber, we'll take it with us" *sparks fly* cutscene back on Bogano, but then you just get a cosmetic and it makes very little sense.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ninjahedgehog posted:

Uh...I got it in Kashyyk. The cutscene was just kind of confusing in that case. He just kind of walked up to this bench, fiddled with his saber, and then had a double-saber, with no real explanation for it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I mean, who wouldn't hide it near the top of a monumentally large tree? It's the last place the Empire would think to look!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I got through the game by going to dathomir first and slowly killing my way through the night brothers, somewhat impressed that such a AAAA game would have a steep difficulty curve (I had been spoiled to know I was picking the harder option but I assumed they were both viable) then got the double saber and a very underwhelming cutscene with the most obviously evil looking dude in the world. I then went back to the main planet for the otherwise completely linear path with the difficulty kicked down 100 notches as I wiped out entire rooms of stormtroopers by parrying one bolt and holding the button down, without a single meaty challenge until the first lightsaber boss fight

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/2NayCCI.mp4
(spoilered for endgame fight)
I've had a couple goofy lightsaber bugs in this playthrough, but this one is really something else. I was too busy :hmbol:ing and trying to get screenshots to live much longer after this.

e: poo poo guess you can't spoiler videos, just left it as a click through :\

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

"You going to help me with this?"

"I'm sure you can handle it."

*watches Cal get smashed by monsters*

edit: literally didn't notice Greez has 4 arms until he just mentioned it now, near the end of the game lol

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 5, 2020

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

"You going to help me with this?"

"I'm sure you can handle it."

*watches Cal get smashed by monsters*

edit: literally didn't notice Greez has 4 arms until he just mentioned it now, near the end of the game lol

Plot twist, the reason for this is Greez's species doesn't actually normally have 4 arms, he's just a mutant and has been hiding it this whole time

(Not at all true, I am kidding)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While I really like the non-gameplay aspects of this game, something is fundamentally strange about parrying. I'm at what I'm pretty sure is the last (or maybe second to last) boss fight and I've never been able to consistently parry. The timing isn't really intuitive at all and it always feels like random chance as to whether it works. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like my controller has input lag and I'm having to account for it when I parry. Like it doesn't happen when I press the button, but rather a split second after.

Also the "hold block plus X to do double saber attack kinda sucks because I mistakenly do it constantly since "attacking out of blocking" is common.

edit: So I beat the game. While i get what people were disappointed about, I actually thought the ending was good. The story was kind of the ideal sort of story you could tell that involves Jedi in this timeframe. The decision to destroy the holocron basically made sense, and the whole journey still accomplishes the goal of destroying the thing that could be used to find all the force sensitives (obviously including Luke). And it was mostly a character story about the protagonist and Cere.

All in all the plot/characters were dramatically better than I expected from a Star Wars video game, and the gameplay was at least passable.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 5, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I find the parrying fairly easy and I'm on the second hardest difficulty, although some of the baton troopers can be a nuisance sometimes and its like it cancels out or something. But deflecting blaster bolts and parrying animals is pretty easy. Disappointed I cant fuckin force freeze rockets like Kylo with the blaster in TFA.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I dont think Luke or Leia would have been on the holocron, considering they were born after the Purge and the holocron was smuggled out before.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phylodox posted:

I dont think Luke or Leia would have been on the holocron, considering they were born after the Purge and the holocron was smuggled out before.

Given the children Cal would have been teaching looked like 6-7 years old I was under the impression that it just somehow was capable of magically tracking all current force sensitive kids or something. Like, unless it was only a recording of literal babies at the time it seems kind of strange and I'm not sure how the timing works out.

codo27 posted:

I find the parrying fairly easy and I'm on the second hardest difficulty, although some of the baton troopers can be a nuisance sometimes and its like it cancels out or something. But deflecting blaster bolts and parrying animals is pretty easy. Disappointed I cant fuckin force freeze rockets like Kylo with the blaster in TFA.

I'm only referring to parrying human melee enemies, yeah. Specifically the ones with 2-handed weapons seem to be the most trouble. Sometimes it works but sometimes every attack in a combo will hit me even when I'm pressing parry/block. And I'm pretty sure that the timing involves pressing it before attacks hit, because I don't get the same "you can press right as attacks make contact" feeling I did from Sekiro.

How did people usually use their force against bosses like the final boss? I couldn't find much useful to do other than pushing to interrupt (and obviously using force to do heavy attacks).

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ytlaya posted:

Given the children Cal would have been teaching looked like 6-7 years old I was under the impression that it just somehow was capable of magically tracking all current force sensitive kids or something. Like, unless it was only a recording of literal babies at the time it seems kind of strange and I'm not sure how the timing works out.

I'm only referring to parrying human melee enemies, yeah. Specifically the ones with 2-handed weapons seem to be the most trouble. Sometimes it works but sometimes every attack in a combo will hit me even when I'm pressing parry/block. And I'm pretty sure that the timing involves pressing it before attacks hit, because I don't get the same "you can press right as attacks make contact" feeling I did from Sekiro.

How did people usually use their force against bosses like the final boss? I couldn't find much useful to do other than pushing to interrupt (and obviously using force to do heavy attacks).

It's 5 years after the end of the Clone Wars so 6-7 is just about right for children just born known to the Jedi Council

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So.. How does the McGuffin even make sense in Universe?

There are seekers that seek force sensitive kids, right. Did they write the names of the kids on a list and... Left them with their parents cause it was too early to train 'em young like the Jedi do? Isn't this dangerously stupid?

Was there a weird alien Jedi meditating 24/7 on Coruscant that knows when a force sensitive baby is born galaxy wide?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

There are seekers that seek force sensitive kids, right. Did they write the names of the kids on a list and... Left them with their parents cause it was too early to train 'em young like the Jedi do? Isn't this dangerously stupid?

Was there a weird alien Jedi meditating 24/7 on Coruscant that knows when a force sensitive baby is born galaxy wide?

This is why I attributed it to some force magic poo poo. I mean, this game reveals that you can do all sorts of crazy stuff with the force* (and that doesn't bug me much since the force has always been a vague magical thing). And it would only have the locations of these people as of ~5 years ago if it were just records from back then.

To be honest the whole premise is a little strange just because we already know that force sensitivity can be medically tested. Why isn't the Empire just testing and killing (or converting) everyone who has high midichlorian count? The only way the holocron makes sense as a valuable macguffin that can't be allowed to fall into the Empire's hands is if it somehow tracks the current locations of all force sensitives.

*zombies though lol

edit: Unrelated, but one thing that kinda surprised me about this game is that it really went into a lot of detail about how hosed up and brutal the Empire is, beyond just vaguely knowing that they're evil and killed people. The whole torturing people into going sith thing was pretty hosed up.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 5, 2020

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just finished the game and it was adequately entertaining for 45% off even though the combat was tedious. I'd recommend it for anyone looking for a game in what's gonna be a very dry year.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I kinda wish they had gone with a different type of game, because I really like all the times this game has characters interacting with each other, but most of the game is spend traversing these gently caress-off huge confusing environments. The environment traversal stuff wasn't bad, but it wasn't exactly playing to the game's strengths. Almost all my positive thoughts about the game are related to the character beats in the latter ~half and the boss fights, but probably 90% of my time was spent traveling around.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

If the parents don't want to give up their kids the Jedi aren't gonna kidnap them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

The Zeffo devised the whole system to find the kids, Cordova just finds their whatever in the vault, which he does during the Clone Wars, right near the end, so that's why it had a list of all the current Force sensitives inn the galaxy. It stands to reason that in any era you use that Holocron it would find all the Force sensitive people currently alive in the galaxy/huge gently caress off radius.

At least that was my takeaway.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

codo27 posted:

Does Slow work on rockets?

I know it works on Flametroopers and watching the fire in slow motion is really pretty

and then you get mauled by giant spiders because WHY WOULDN'T THERE BE GIANT SPIDERS

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Just finished the game and it was adequately entertaining for 45% off even though the combat was tedious. I'd recommend it for anyone looking for a game in what's gonna be a very dry year.

lmao Cyberpunk 2077 and The Last of Us 2 are more than enough for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Doom Eternal. You forgot Doom Eternal.