Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

BONGHITZ posted:

Do europeans have home urinal technology or do they pee in the sink too?

Weird thing about being from that continent, no matter what room you're in, European.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In Europe it is very normal to piss on the floor or on each other. In fact if a French person asks you if you've enjoyed the wine it's considered polite to immediately piss into their mouth to convey gratitude and appreciation

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Uh you're thinking of Germans there bud

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (31f) husband (34m) and I got into a terrible verbal fight and I don't know if we can come back from it.

Waiting for the ex-husband's update when he finds out the secretary was just fishing for an ego boost and has no interest in pursuing anything more.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Colonel Cancer posted:

Nah that’s for beer

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

If you have a backyard you are required to piss in it at least once, to appease the spirits
Does this rule still apply if you rent? Is there a modification if your apartment is on the third floor of the complex?

Asking for a friend.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

With Germans it's beer, or food and a different bodily function

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

MagusofStars posted:

Does this rule still apply if you rent? Is there a modification if your apartment is on the third floor of the complex?

Asking for a friend.

If you rent you -must- piss and poo poo everywhere.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

MagusofStars posted:

Asking for a friend.

It's even more important if you rent, and no.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm still thinking of the dad who only holds one of his twin newborn daughters and not the other. What did his second daughter do for him to apparently actively dislike her as opposed to just neglect her? She like puked on him because she's a baby and that happens, right? Or she looks less like him or something stupid?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for giving my husbands affair child (now adult) money and a job?

My (50F) husband (52M) had an affair not long after our first child was born, we now have 6 children.

This was 21 years ago.

The woman who he cheated on me with reached out 6months into the pregnancy and asked for help.

We gave her £900 and paid child support every month, the court ordered amount which I will admit was barely anything (£10 a week)

My husband wanted nothing to do with this woman or this womans child, both trailer park trash as he called them.

This girl reached out recently, she is legally an adult so my husband ignored her.

A few months pass and she comes to our house.

She is pregnant.

We sat down and talked, apparently not too long ago her mother (who would be 40) passed away

I don't think it's fair for her to continue struggling, I want my children to have their sister and I want her to thrive.

I grew up in a wealthy family, I was spoilt- as was my husband and maybe its 21 years late but I think we owe this child something

I offered her a monthly allowance to help us look after the children (6,10,11)

My husband gets home and now we are in a heated argument about how no matter what I should've asked him, this is his child and his choice.

Normally I'd ignore him but even our eldest child (23) agrees

AITA?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The husband sounds great what a catch, shaming you for being the rare rich person with half a conscience and noblesse oblige. loving hell.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Man I think I hate this guy the most out of the last few pages.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Divorce your husband and adopt the girl, this seems pretty obvious blood in blood out situation

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for not wanting to buy my girlfriend alcohol?

quote:

I am 33M and my girlfriend is 19. Yeah there is an age difference but it’s not illegal and she’s mature anyways so no biggie

Because I am older, I may occasionally help her out and buy her textbooks for her schooling, food, driver her around etc

However, recently she has wanted me to buy her alcohol for her and her friends. I said no because she was underage. I don’t mind if she drinks but I don’t want to be party to something that is illegal. I have a strict personal code of ethics I live by.

So am I the rear end in a top hat for not buying my gf alcohol or am I in the right?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

If the only defense you can muster for your relationships that it's legal, that's not a good sign.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

This guy definitely has a great personal code of ethics, banging a 19 year old is fine, buying her booze is verboten.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (50F) husband (52M) had an affair not long after our first child was born, we now have 6 children.

This was 21 years ago.

The woman who he cheated on me with reached out 6months into the pregnancy and asked for help.

We gave her £900 and paid child support every month, the court ordered amount which I will admit was barely anything (£10 a week)

My husband wanted nothing to do with this woman or this womans child, both trailer park trash as he called them.

This girl reached out recently, she is legally an adult so my husband ignored her.

A few months pass and she comes to our house.

She is pregnant.

We sat down and talked, apparently not too long ago her mother (who would be 40) passed away

I don't think it's fair for her to continue struggling, I want my children to have their sister and I want her to thrive.

I grew up in a wealthy family, I was spoilt- as was my husband and maybe its 21 years late but I think we owe this child something

I offered her a monthly allowance to help us look after the children (6,10,11)

My husband gets home and now we are in a heated argument about how no matter what I should've asked him, this is his child and his choice.

Normally I'd ignore him but even our eldest child (23) agrees

AITA?

this sounds like the plot of one of those victorian dramas my mom likes

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Trapick posted:

This guy definitely has a great personal code of ethics, banging a 19 year old is fine, buying her booze is verboten.

Yeah dirtbags like this tend to defer to the letter of the law more

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Retroactively divorce this guy 20 years ago

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

datajugend posted:

Indoor sandbox is the most hosed up thing in this thread so far

Oh man indoor sandboxes. When I was a kid me and my younger brother has a sleepover at one of my friends apartments. Me and the friend were off doing our own thing while my brother was off presumably keeping himself entertained. After like an hour he comes back and says "this place is great, they have an indoor sandbox!"

They did not have an indoor sandbox. They did however have a cat.

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.

therobit posted:

Has anyone told OP's husband that a secretary is not a toy?

Did not expect a How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying reference in this thread.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

atomicdream posted:

Did not expect a How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying reference in this thread.

When you think about it it kind of makes sense though, becausethe stories being posted are largely about people who never got beyond high school drama.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

therobit posted:

When you think about it it kind of makes sense though, becausethe stories being posted are largely about people who never got beyond high school drama.

lol

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling someone disabled they should leave the gym

quote:

Throwaway for the usual reasons

I go to the gym a few times a week as it's something I enjoy. Yesterday I was there for the first time this year and there was lots of new people which is to be expected this time of year with people making resolutions they can't stick to.

Anyway I was minding my own business when I looked up and saw an overweight woman come in who had a walking stick, she also had who turned out to be her husband with her who looked like a gym regular. I saw her get on the exercise bike for about 20 minutes then she moved to the weight machines. Because of her disability she couldn't manage on and off the machines herself and her husband was helping her on and off between his workout. I was concerned about this and no staff were about so I went upto her and told her I think it's for the best she leaves the gym as she's clearly not able bodied enough for it (looking back now I should have worded it better). Her husband then came up and asked if everything was ok and I told him my concerns. He raised his voice slightly at me and told me to mind my own business as he's qualified in training different sports and she was in safe hands.

I then told them I don't think the gym management would be too happy at someone disabled and unable to get on and off the machines being in the gym. He told me his wife wasn't actually allowed to join the gym without a Dr's letter and also a meeting with the gym manager to come up with a plan for her to safety evacuate the building with the help of staff and all staff were aware of her problems. At this point I realised they weren't going to leave so went back to my workout.

Today I told my friend what happened and he told me I'm an idiot who should learn to mind his own business or try encourage someone who's new to the gym. He doesn't attend the gym so I don't feel he understands the kind of environment she was in. He also seems to think my membership could be at risk for what I said

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Depressed, but not too depressed to gently caress

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for agreeing to a job candidates strange (but not too high) salary request?

I’m a hiring manager for a role at a startup where I’m in a senior role (but not a founder.) we needed to hire an engineer and our budget was just $71k so I knew we might not be able to be too picky especially since we are located in San Francisco. As you can imagine, most qualified candidates can find much higher salaries at other companies so we are mostly looking at new college grads.

My boss told me to initially offer $65k with the potential to go up to $71k in negotiations. We got this one guy (22M) who obviously had no “real” experience but lots of potential and seemed really smart. It has taken us a while to find anyone that great so I wanted to make this happen even if it meant offering the full $71k.

Well he asked for $69,420. Yeah, ha ha. I figured this was stupid, but totally within budget so I agreed to it and had the cover letter drafted. My boss is pissed because it shows that we are “dumb” and this kid “pwned us.” He wants me to change it to just $69k but the candidate says he’ll only do it for $69,420. I feel like this is a stupid hill to die on. Everyone at the company is in their 20s, we can take a joke. What’s the big deal? However my boss is not budging and is blaming me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lucrece posted:

I didn't think I'd hate anyone on this page beyond rich "doesn't care about his affair daughter and shames his wife for helping her," but gently caress me if a challenger hasn't appeared.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for agreeing to a job candidates strange (but not too high) salary request?
Your scummy capitalist boss is pissed that you "failed negotiations" and agreed to pay the kid one cent more than the minimum he allocated. You should eat him.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA for refusing to pay for my daughter’s education, because I found out she has been lying to me about her academic performance for the past 2 years (and violating our agreement)?

For context, my husband died 16 years ago, so it’s just me, my son Eldor, and my daughter Rebecca.

4 years ago when Eldor was applying to universities, we had the conversation about costs. We live in Georgia, which is relevant because Georgia has a state scholarship that pays for pretty much the entirety of one’s college bill. I told my children that out-of-state costs are too exorbitant, and I encouraged them to find schools in Georgia that they liked. As a result, my son went to GA Tech.

Two years ago, Rebecca applied to college with the expectation of going to UGA. With her stats, it was pretty much a shoe in. However, her counselors made her apply to 2 other schools on top of that, so she applied (and got accepted into) Dartmouth.

She begged me to let her go there. I understood her POV; an ivy league accepted her and it could be really good for her career. However it was expensive (I make a lot, so financial aid only covered half of the $80,000/year cost to go there). After a LOT of pleading and promises that she’ll do well, I relented on the condition that she maintains good grades, showed me her transcripts every semester, and that she transfers in-state if she couldn’t keep up. She accepted.

So for the last 1.5 years, we’ve been doing that. Every semester she’d show me her transcripts (she’d get anywhere between a 3.0 - 3.7). Everything was fine until this morning, I lost my retainers, and searched the trash to see if I threw them away.

In there, I saw an unopened letter addressed to me from her school. It was peculiar because I definitely did not see it. I opened it, and it said that Rebecca was on Academic Warning, and she needed to improve her grades by next semester or she’d be on probation.

To make a long story short, she’s been lying. She’s been giving me screenshots of doctored grades and she currently has a 2.1. To make matters worse, they sent me a letter last semester, but I found out she threw it away. She’s been non-stop crying and apologizing and promising that she will improve.

I’m hurt Reddit. I’m hurt that my daughter would boldface lie to me. Every conversation about school was her continuing to keep up the lie. She says she’s changing majors, dropping extracurriculars, and is committed to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

But I don’t know Reddit. I feel like the damage is done. I’ve been shelling out 20 grand a semester, and she’s not even passing her classes. I understand ivy leagues are tough, but I feel like that doesn’t excuse lying to me. Also, she’s already enrolled for next semester, so I’m on the hook for the next 20k for her spring semester.

WIBTA if I just don’t pay it? I know that’s harsh but I don’t know what else to do. I feel like doing nothing would send a message that what she did was okay. What do you guys think?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA for refusing to pay for my daughter’s education, because I found out she has been lying to me about her academic performance for the past 2 years (and violating our agreement)?
I mean if the money itself is not the problem then make her pull up her grades in the next semester or she has to transfer.

Obviously the daughter's lying sucks and the money on false pretenses sucks but I'm a bit baffled that OP thinks the only two choices are cut her off or do nothing. No. You make it clear she gets the money for the semester she's already enrolled for only if she agrees to academic-related terms and conditions, and if not, well, guess she'll be asking to unregister for all her classes in the spring while she sorts this out, bc I don't think you're actually on the hook for all the tuition if you drop before it starts, altho there's probably cancellation fees and stuff. Also try to figure out why she's tanking so hard.

Like all this is contingent on how much parenting OP wants to do over this, so, shrug. I'm not a fan of parents using tuition as a means of control but I also think if you're lying about your grades and falsifying records you lose the benefit of the doubt.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Dartmouth is nowhere near $80k a year.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

13Pandora13 posted:

Dartmouth is nowhere near $80k a year.
https://admissions.dartmouth.edu/afford/cost-attendance
Tuition: $55,605
Fees*: $1,599
Housing: $9,879
Food*: $6,495
Books: $1,005
Misc.: $2,040
Total: $76,623*

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not wanting my son to literally be named "John Doe?"

Don't name your kid John Doe

quote:

Airport security grills him every time he flies. “I have to sit in the office,” he said. “Every time.” Landlords and election inspectors view him quizzically, and prospective dates need more than a little assurance that he’s not hiding a dark past.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Those food and housing estimates tell me all I need to know about the rich fucks going there.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Those food and housing estimates tell me all I need to know about the rich fucks going there.

Those are the direct-billed costs that the university charges you. It's dorms and a meal plan.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Lucrece posted:

What the gently caress
:killing:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
AITA for telling my "nephew" his ps4 was going to be destroyed to teach him a lesson?

Ok. I hosed up.

My brother-in-law saw one of those stupid videos where they destroy the video game console in front of the child to teach him a lesson. I heard him planning on doing that to my nephew because he failed 2 courses at school (he is 12). I tried talking them out of it, telling them that's not the way, sell it, hide it, whatever just don't do it.... that was my point.

I told my nephew, what they were going to do, and asked him not to overreact, just tell them you are disappointed, or something that makes them feel bad, if he brings his grades up, I will get him a new PS4, but I want his stupid parents to feel guilty.

Last week, my brother-in-law sat him a chair, have a couple of assholes friends holding him and proceed to destroy the ps4 with a baseball bat, while laughing and yelling and recording.

My nephew had a poker face, did not move at all, and whisper something and laughed. His dad stopped asked everybody to shut up and asked him, what? why are you laughing about?

My nephew said: You humiliated me, you took something that was mine, and humiliated me in front of everybody. You are bigger, stronger... but everybody is helpless when they are asleep. I am laughing because everybody is helpless when they are sleeping.... If you are done, I want to go inside, there something I need to think about.

He had an entire week to prepare what to say, and this is what he came up with, and his delivery was loving scary, I was speechless, everybody was shocked. I said out loud, good parenting everybody, good job, and went after my nephew.

I spoke with my nephew afterward, and he said that he will tell no one I had told him, and he has no plans on doing anything to his parents at all, he just wants to teach him a lesson as I suggested.

Now, my sister book an appointment with a psychologist, they are sleeping with locks on their doors and caused a family crisis.

And I feel like an rear end in a top hat because I just have to tell them what I did to patch things, but honestly, I just want to see where this is going.

Edit.

I tried to answer as many comments as possible but I will provide some more context.

My nephew told me he heard a similar line in a mafia movie, but he doesn't remember which, he told he wrote down some ideas to make the parents feel guilty and chose that one.
it did happen. I am aware of how unbelievably bad-rear end it sound. I share it because I was feeling guilty and because I was proud of my nephew's epic response.
The father tried hiding the controller once to punish him, but he sneak a second controller he borrowed from a friend. They are not abusive parents all the time. They saw a video online, thought it will teach him a lesson. I disagree and thought it was outright traumatic since they didn't listen I thought to give my nephew a heads up.
My sister is super paranoic. Her husband is concerned about his response, but not because he is afraid for his life. My sister is. Which makes things worse for me.
I thought it was a fun thing to share, they are not bad people, they do weird stuff like taking pictures of my nephews and niece holding signs when they do something wrong (shame pictures), nothing physical, nothing really abusive, this was the first and for the looks the last time.
I don't think there is much to update, they will go to therapy and most likely will patch things out. If something worth sharing or worthy of talking about, I will post it.
yes, I feel very proud of my nephew. keeping it cool while it was happening it was way more than what I could have possibly expected.
Edit 2

In retrospective and after reading some comments, they really need therapy. When you see it every day it is hard to notice that some behavior could be toxic. I don't regret what I did, and definitely don't regret posting it here. Reddit can be really insightful sometimes.

Thanks for your comments.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

It's an ivy league, it being full of rich fucks goes without saying

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Dartmouth is the Cybertruck of ivy leagues.

I will not be taking questions. Garcon! Activate the jetcopter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nobody is gonna care what your grades were at Dartmouth, only that you got the diploma