Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you joined the US armed forces post 2016 I hope you drown trapped in the flaming, blasted hull of an amphibious assault ship in the Strait of Hormuz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

cool, cool

now show the career paths in the military people follow broken up by income classes

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1213607199278338051

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Wheeee posted:

cool, cool

now show the career paths in the military people follow broken up by income classes

To become and officer do you have to go to one of the West Point, Air Force Academy, Naval Academy?

Can you rise to upper levels without going to those?

Seems hosed that people that were in heavy fighting are limited to how far they can advance.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Class mobility built upon a foundation of imperial oppression is a morally excusable thing, and furthermore

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Like the military seems like the very thing you want to be about meritocracy. The best people leading your nation into war.

Let's put a guy just out of college in charge of people that have been fighting in war for a few years.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

iirc you have to have a college degree to be a commissioned officer

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ejmalrai/status/1213672645549576192?s=20

Let's loving gooooooooo

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Wheeee posted:

cool, cool

I remember looking at the staff pictures of 1st Marine regiment and noticing every CO was white and every SgtMaj was black except the one Hispanic one.

Anyway being a troop makes you complicit but it doesn't mean they aren't taken advantage of.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Strasburgs UCL posted:

I remember looking at the staff pictures of 1st Marine regiment and noticing every CO was white and every SgtMaj was black except the one Hispanic one.

Anyway being a troop makes you complicit but it doesn't mean they aren't taken advantage of.

personally i prefer when things are simple and black and white so i know who to hate unconditionally

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

https://youtu.be/84-l0qpnAm8

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
ngl, i'm pleased to see muqtada al-sadr back in the mix

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
stop blind linking youtubes in this thread you fucks!!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gently caress! yes!

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

So this means the US is going to either have to leave or overthrow the government they created right?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
gonna have to reinvade Iraq and rescind the Taliban peace talks just to have bases to invade Iran with

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raccooon posted:

So this means the US is going to either have to leave or overthrow the government they created right?

there's always the guantanamo option of maintaining the bases against a fundamentally hostile government and population

i'm sure it'll go swimmingly

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Raccooon posted:

we could and probably will just ignore it and dare the Iraqis to evict us forcibly

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Raskolnikov38 posted:

we could and probably will just ignore it and dare the Iraqis to evict us forcibly

We will be liberators!

*holds country hostage because tormp*

When does Iraq vote on the thing?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I don't know how supply lines work for US bases in Iraq but seems problematic.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Raccooon posted:

The US shifts to a war economy to supply parts for all the Ospreys that break down or crash on supply runs

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Trump triumphantly announces that he has ended the war in Iraq as they kick us out

coathat
May 21, 2007

Iraq is going to declare Kamala Harris the interim us president and the Khive are going to occupy the embassy

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Raccooon posted:

it’ll be like a dozen different gitmo all dependent on air supply. a dozen dien bien phus at once

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Strasburgs UCL posted:

The Canadian Army Infantry Regiments are similar but throw in some French guys.

Poor people, most women and most minorities sign up to be cooks, mechanics, electricians or carpenters and get out after their 3 year hitch.

Middle class guys from the suburbs - white or otherwise - either take Football Studies or go to the Military College and come in as officers or overwhelmingly go into the combat arms as grunts to live their Call of Duty fantasy.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Valleyant posted:

We will be liberators!

*holds country hostage because tormp*

When does Iraq vote on the thing?

They were planning to try to hold the vote Sunday, so today sometime

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

saudis are right there and we can easily airlift from there tbh

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it’ll be like a dozen different gitmo all dependent on air supply. a dozen dien bien phus at once

That's what I am wondering. Are they air supplied or require routes through the country? Surely all the bases can't have runways for supply aircrafts.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Raccooon posted:

The Berlin Airlift but for an entire country and forever

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

millions of gallons of fuel to fly in water every single day lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grondoth posted:

Trump triumphantly announces that he has ended the war in Iraq as they kick us out

Wasn't this exactly what Obama did.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

until iran starts lobbing missiles into saudi

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Raccooon posted:

That's what I am wondering. Are they air supplied or require routes through the country? Surely all the bases can't have runways for supply aircrafts.

helicopters, also we could land supplies at Baghdad international and dare the guards to stop the trucks

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Raskolnikov38 posted:

millions of gallons of fuel to fly in water every single day lmao

Dying for trump's water bill

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Grondoth posted:

I genuinely believe it is the only way the war will ever end

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

"easily"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah the real reason why Obama out got kicked was the Status of Forces yearly agreement didn't give complete immunity to the US military.

etalian has issued a correction as of 05:54 on Jan 5, 2020

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it was more that the government had a decision already in place as to when we would leave, negotiated in the Bush years, Obama honored it, and I feel like he took more flak for that from republicans than he got credit for leaving even though he didn't actually do a goddamn thing so it shouldn't have mattered

But I don't know. I don't remember clearly enough. I don't think they very clearly voted to kick us the gently caress out, though, after we did something really horrible.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
airlifts seem insanely vulnerable to militias

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
if things get to the point where Iran is lobbing missiles at Saudi, Trump might as well tell the marines to storm the Iraqi parliament and declare martial law cause the whole imperial position will be a sliding and a shaking as saudi rapidly runs out of water

striking refineries and oil infrastructure is the humanitarian approach for the Iranians. If they really want to make some noise they'll strike the desalination plants saudi arabia relies on to break even re: fresh water