Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

The message is that rich people are soulless husks

Basically. That was regardless of if you're an SJW or a right wing jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
It is a non surprising yet very welcomed news time :

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/knives-sequel-works-centered-daniel-craigs-detective-character-1266533

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

You either die a critically acclaimed new IP or live long enough to become yet another franchise.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Detective stories are some of the all-time great "same character, new situation" setups since time immemorial so I don't mind at all if this turns in to an endless series of movies. If it's good enough for Hercule Poirot and Sherlock Holmes it's good enough for Benoit Blanc.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
My only real concern with a sequel is an absence of Ana de Armas. You can find another group of fun characters to build around but Knives Out nailed the emotional center with her.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The worst detective sequels are ones where they directly follow up from a previous case and just un-solve it i.e. Broadchurch season 2. The worst detective stories period are the ones that don't solve the main mystery until the next season i.e. the American Killing. (Twin Peaks is not a detective show)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’d love if they did a spiritual sequel with no characters from the original. That’s the best way to keep these things fresh.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

That's the best way to do it. This kind of movie can easily be a lighting in a bottle situation though so we'll just have to hope for the best.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

SunshineDanceParty posted:

My only real concern with a sequel is an absence of Ana de Armas. You can find another group of fun characters to build around but Knives Out nailed the emotional center with her.

She doesn't need to be completely absent. Remember, she inherited Harlan's everything - likely including his files/research. She might find something weird/disturbing/etc in there and hire Blanc to look into it. Marta is a Good Person. If she found some letter some person sent to Harlan asking him to help clear an innocent son/wife/etc much like Arthur Conan Doyle once did I could see her asking Blanc to get into it. Figure she can afford his fees now, too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I love how Rian Johnson’s new film did well enough to start an entirely new IP (whether or not that’s a good thing, I don’t know) while Star Wars Episode 9 tried to undo Rian’s Episode 8 and ended up being a disappointment.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pollyanna posted:

I love how Rian Johnson’s new film did well enough to start an entirely new IP (whether or not that’s a good thing, I don’t know) while Star Wars Episode 9 tried to undo Rian’s Episode 8 and ended up being a disappointment.

Ep 9 made almost a billion dollars worldwide and had a generally favorable reception among everyone not broke-brained enough to be reduced to a giggling fit by the word "maclunkey", you're majorly projecting Mr. #3 poster in the Star Wars Spoiler Thread.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

Ep 9 made almost a billion dollars worldwide and had a generally favorable reception among everyone not broke-brained enough to be reduced to a giggling fit by the word "maclunkey", you're majorly projecting Mr. #3 poster in the Star Wars Spoiler Thread.

It's sad seeing you dig up 200 page old gimmick posts in the linked thread and it's sad seeing you Kramer flail here. The smug goon personas were tired in 2007.

You doing okay?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Sleeveless posted:

I mean I had a constant giggle fit while watching Ep 9 over how bad it was, so.

also that's less than half of what TFA made also less than each of the three originals when adjusted for inflation

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 6, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sleeveless posted:

Episode 9 is a massive disappointment for the end of a fuckin Star Wars trilogy, it’s getting mixed reception at best, and you’re getting mad at an anonymous voice on the internet.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Everyone posted:

She doesn't need to be completely absent. Remember, she inherited Harlan's everything - likely including his files/research. She might find something weird/disturbing/etc in there and hire Blanc to look into it. Marta is a Good Person. If she found some letter some person sent to Harlan asking him to help clear an innocent son/wife/etc much like Arthur Conan Doyle once did I could see her asking Blanc to get into it. Figure she can afford his fees now, too.

I think the last scene is too perfect of an ending to include her more.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like Martha but I think that Benoit should be the only recurring character.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Pick posted:

I like Martha but I think that Benoit should be the only recurring character.
I would also accept either or both of the cop characters recurring somehow.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I would also accept either or both of the cop characters recurring somehow.

Trooper Wagner would absolutely find some way to insert himself in Blanc's future dealings. Probably while namedroping one of Thromby's novels in the process; comparing it to the current case.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
JJ Abrams should direct the second one. Then Rian can come in and fix it in the third.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

The Marvel movie with the lowest Rotten Tomatoes score is Thor: The Dark World, with a fresh 66%. Episode 9 is sittin at a cool 54%.

I'm not using this as a measure of quality. I'm saying, the idea that this movie sucks is not even close to a CineD hivemind creation or whatever.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

everyone posted:

who should be in the sequel
bring back the entire cast, but aside from Daniel Craig as Benoit Blanc, they're all new characters.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fish Noise posted:

bring back the entire cast, but aside from Daniel Craig as Benoit Blanc, they're all new characters.

Oh yeah, theater style! This is good stuff.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I guess I'm sort of happy we're getting a sequel.

I really hope Benoit Blanc gets a new giant accent. Just to throw off the masses. Even if Foghorn Leghorn was perfect.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Saw this on a whim without really knowing anything about it. Really enjoyed all of it, great movie. Well, that's my review, thanks for reading.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Martman posted:

The Marvel movie with the lowest Rotten Tomatoes score is Thor: The Dark World, with a fresh 66%. Episode 9 is sittin at a cool 54%.

I'm not using this as a measure of quality. I'm saying, the idea that this movie sucks is not even close to a CineD hivemind creation or whatever.

Technically, Ep 9 has an 86% verified audience score/78% total audience score, so about 1/4th of Star Wars fans don't care about film quality.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Fish Noise posted:

This person is a visionary.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Fish Noise posted:

This will probably happen if schedules can be worked out.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fish Noise posted:

And a different one pukes all the time!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Make a new movie with Kelly-Marie Tran, Mark Hammill, and Adam Driver :v:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Boyega and Isaac as well since they're cool.

Hamill can be a competing detective

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I wouldn't mind Det. Elliot coming back, but I want Rian Johnson to be confident enough to make another Blanc mystery without trading on the goodwill of Knives Out. Don't reference it at all, just craft another stellar character driven mystery.

And for the love of god don't start adding action scenes for Blanc.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, if we’re being serious, then keep only Blanc from Knives Out. Make a very separate movie, and reference old ones in future films if and only if it makes sense to do so.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Saw this with the fam. Script was very funny MASTURBATING NAZI CHILD, but dipped into on-the-nose alt-right jerk!, how's that ess-jay-double-u degree?. Showing the progressive characters as vengeful was interesting, but also too easy. A lot of the script sounded like facebook posts, but made up for it with moments of greatness.

I wanted FAR MORE of the cops and less hand-wringing from Martha, but other than that, I enjoyed it immensely. I hope hollywood gets the message that $40mil and no CGI can work.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I hope hollywood gets the message that $40mil and no CGI can work.
[narrator]They didn’t.[/narrator]

I’m really glad this is getting a sequel, and seconding the sentiment that Benoit should be the only recurring character. I’d watch a series of Benoit mystery movies until the end of time.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Darth TNT posted:

I guess I'm sort of happy we're getting a sequel.

I really hope Benoit Blanc gets a new giant accent. Just to throw off the masses. Even if Foghorn Leghorn was perfect.

Benoit speaks and it's the voice of Samuel L Jackson.

Pollyanna posted:

Make a new movie with Kelly-Marie Tran, Mark Hamill, and Adam Driver :v:

Boyega and Isaac as the two cops with him (who are in a gay marriage to each because "gently caress you, Disney!"). Daisy Ridley too because Murder on the Orient Express.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 6, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FilthyImp posted:

Boyega and Isaac as well since they're cool.

Hamill can be a competing detective

A CIA agent with a strange fear of cockroaches.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I have face blindness pretty bad and I have no idea who Michael Shannon is and I'm gonna be honest, I thought he was Mark Hamill with the same beard he had in Last Jedi.
This movie was wonderful, by the way.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

The message is that rich people are soulless husks
then the film is a tragedy. marta, through the transitive property of being rich, will soon become just another terrible person.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think it's less about money making people bad - Harlan was no saint, but he's definitely portrayed as a better person than his kids - and more about money turning relationships toxic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

oh my god. perfect