Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought that was part of the mating process and they had to remove the male's head to copulate?

Sexual cannibalism is far, far more common in mantises in captivity than it is in the wild. It happens, but not as often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ai girlfriend
Jan 1, 2020

AkumaHokoru posted:

don't be a prude. you exist because someone nutted in your momma.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sleeveless posted:

The idea that bonobos are hypersexual is just misinformation based entirely on the fact that they were being observed when they're in captivity which means a bunch of complete strangers forced in a small enclosure with nothing to do. It's about as outdated and invalid as the idea of alpha males in wolf packs and praying mantises killing and eating their partners after mating.

I learned something today! Thank you.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Sleeveless posted:

It's about as outdated and invalid as the idea of alpha males in wolf packs and praying mantises killing and eating their partners after mating.
I looked up the mantis thing and it seems that initially we thought it happened all the time, but it was likely influenced by being in captivity and poor experiment design. However the rate in the wild is still pretty high; Wikipedia says it happens about 25% of the time.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Sexual cannibalism

Mods?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

No, those are sexual deviants.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

No, those are sexual deviants.

Lmao

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

cash crab posted:

I suppose a bee would melt in your mouth if you left it in there long enough.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

THOT PATROL posted:

setting up a complex w/massive earthworks & stone obelisks inscribed in a dozen languages to warn future denizens of earth: no, really, malort IS that bad

havalux posted:

Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

PERMACAV 50 has a new favorite as of 10:43 on Jan 5, 2020

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Sagebrush’s paraphrase, take your pick.
[/quote]

Awesome, thanks. 🙂

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

cda posted:

Oh my loving God. How is America still a world power with these idiots in charge. From the Times:

quote:

In the chaotic days leading to the death of Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani, Iran’s most powerful commander, top American military officials put the option of killing him — which they viewed as the most extreme response to recent Iranian-led violence in Iraq — on the menu they presented to President Trump.

They didn’t think he would take it. In the wars waged since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, Pentagon officials have often offered improbable options to presidents to make other possibilities appear more palatable....

The options included strikes on Iranian ships or missile facilities or against Iranian-backed militia groups in Iraq. The Pentagon also tacked on the choice of targeting General Suleimani, mainly to make other options seem reasonable.

CharlestheHammer posted:

we briefed him wrong, as a joke

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[/quote]

i cant stop laughing but its not happy laughter its

help
oh god help me

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tashilicious posted:

i cant stop laughing but its not happy laughter its

help
oh god help me
We've got all the guns and money, and we spend all the money on guns.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
[/quote]

hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa gently caress.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I just

I can't comprehend either the idea of Trump ever turning down the most obscenely extreme option presented to him, or the idea of someone working with Trump for actual years and not agreeing

Who thought that would ever work

E: this is the guy who had to have "we don't actually use the nukes" explained to him repeatedly and he has definitely had people killed, how was an assassination ever meant to be the obviously too extreme option

Somfin has a new favorite as of 10:38 on Jan 5, 2020

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The people around him either actually wanted him to pick that option, or after years of being around him that black hole he calls a brain has drained all theirs to the point that they're just as loving stupid as he is now.

Either way, they hosed up.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
They're absolutely pulling a "we're just following orders." There isn't a single senior official in the military or intelligence community who doesn't want to "get revenge" against Iran for the past 40 years.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

take your trump poo poo back to dd

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

take your trump poo poo back to dd

Ok boomer

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Hirethor posted:

Someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this.
My country is dying

jesus WEP posted:

spend less on education

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

RCarr posted:

Ok boomer

This is the thread for funny forums quotes, not lovely Reddit catchphrases from three months ago.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RCarr posted:

Ok boomer

This only works on boomers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sleeveless posted:

This is the thread for funny forums quotes, not lovely Reddit catchphrases from three months ago.

Ok boomer

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Overfuckingkill posted:

And your ginger, no seriously though ginge, they do, and I know if we look back on this thread, every time you mention test, you defend them, funny that isn't it. You are probably a test alt yourself.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Nothing in it about the EVE thread is funny.

Internet spaceships are srs bsns

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Julius CSAR posted:

Oh no! It's the Swedish Mafia!

MikeTheCoolOne posted:

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me bork bork bork in

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

BWV posted:

one time i took too many edibles and i became anxious and worried that the entire forum had put me on ignore and i was just posting to myself.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Didn't they used to have something like this? Hellbanning or shadowbanning or something like that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Didn't they used to have something like this? Hellbanning or shadowbanning or something like that.

Yes, hellban was a state in which your posts would not be shown to anyone except yourself (you wouldn't even get the ignore list "jerk detected" message, it would be as if you hadn't posted at all). It turns out this is a huge pain in the rear end and resource drain for the forums code/server to do so it fell out of favor and was removed at some point.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

haveblue posted:

Yes, hellban was a state in which your posts would not be shown to anyone except yourself (you wouldn't even get the ignore list "jerk detected" message, it would be as if you hadn't posted at all). It turns out this is a huge pain in the rear end and resource drain for the forums code/server to do so it fell out of favor and was removed at some point.

Really should have kept it. I know I've deserved it at one point or another.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Did anyone hear anything just now? Sounded like someone making a post.

Just me? I must have been mistaken.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:rip: one-rapsheet wonder

barneh posted:

joo wunt gut barneh wid chillies? ... sorreh barneh got gas from all dat jalapenos...

OOOO *me smells onion*

Why yoo gut barneh... Barneh wunt loooove... and rear end... like widescreen samsung type rear end none o dat sanyo 17inch stuff... :D

Yoo wunt play?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I always thought hellban was the coolest idea. One of my favorite old Loveline bits was when a caller would have real pressurized speech and they would mute the audio and every few minutes would check in to hear the person still talking and they would say "oh yeah" or "uh huh, like you said" and then mute them again.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

if you meet buddha on the road run him over

President Beep posted:

took my motorcycle license test today. had to swerve around a bunch of koans.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The best part of hellbans was you could tell when someone posted because you'd see two posts next to each other with the same shade.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I thought I was hellbanned once but as it turns out I'm such a boring, milquetoast non-contributor that everyone was subconsciously plastering over my posts in self-defense.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Riatsala posted:

I thought I was hellbanned once but as it turns out I'm such a boring, milquetoast non-contributor that everyone was subconsciously plastering over my posts in self-defense.
Enough about my two years as a poster

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Enough about your tindr experiences

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I think "shadow ban" is a myth that comes from some weird forums code. My understanding is that someone can be banned without it showing in the Lepers Colony and people who have received such bans thought something sneaky was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People banned from the admin panel don't show there, or something like that.