Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Triarii posted:

I've done it and it does work, though hypothetically it could fail if the turbine is running so infrequently that the heat slowly bleeding through the insulation makes the turbine too hot to start up and cool itself.

I mean, magma takes 200 cycles to raise an insulated sandstone tile by 1C ... it's pretty negligible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Gold volcanos are really more like gold drippers, it's not really a ton of heat or material so that setup works just just fine. In mine, I walled it off and stuck an arm in there with a temp sensor and max-time filter (made of steel). When the temp spikes it counted down the 300 secs and then scooped up the gold and dumped it outside. Definitely put a bunch of water in there or there won't be enough thermal mass to absorb the periodic heat.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
i didn't quite understand why everyone was always talking about heat management, but i just hit the point where i'm processing petroleum and plastic for the first time and oh. mistakes were made and now my mushrooms don't grow.

is this midgame? because i feel like my options for what i should be doing just exploded and i'm slightly floundering. i've got water, oxygen and food basically infinite at this point and i've just spent a few hours clearing out random biomes, but i'm not sure where i head next goal-wise.

e: if i box in generators, will there be an bad effects from the pressure of co2? i've also recently learned that when it's produced from a generator it doesn't care about ambient pressure the way a gas pipe vent does and had a moderately sized area filled with enough that it was popping ear drums.

Mister No fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 3, 2020

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Maybe eventually but gas is really not dense like liquid is; it will take a lot more tonnage per tile to exert the same pressure.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

You could use the CO2 to absorb heat from an aquatuner (or whatever the gas version is called) and vent it into space, then send the cooled product to hang out around your mushrooms.

I generally consider my early game base to be temporary thing that I'll eventually abandon. In the midgame, I build my permanent base, with modern plumbing and space for transit tubes and conveyors and whatnot.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the biggest and easiest cheese I used was to make a hotroom/steamroom/sauna for all my smelting/plastic/generators/batteries; I had a bit of trouble with the co2/steam balance after putting petroleum gens in there but with a few sensors and manual tweaking I was able to get it all working without too much trouble. After that success, my base heat problems were over.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
despite losing my mushrooms, i was already moving into doing something with my billion hatches, so i think unless there's some other terrible things that can come from heat, i think i'm solid even if i do absolutely nothing to curb this.

i started ranching them because i was afraid i would eventually run out of coal and had no idea that you get SO many eggs. i've got 48 stone hatches so far and 400,000 kcal of omelettes, with a little baby waterweed farm for backup lettuce just in case something goes terribly wrong and i forget to crack eggs for 40 cycles.

now that I'm thinking about it, how many hatches would you need to run a coal generator indefinitely? i might just be able to grab a third rancher and just ignore the Natural Gas/Petroleum Generators that I'm clearly not smart enough for yet.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
8,5 per for running it 24/7. I'd go for smart batteries as soon as possible, you'll quickly have a lot of excess coal.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Is there, like... a good overview of all the fancy stuff you can do in this game? I'm as dense as all hell with automation and want to do fancier things.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Samovar posted:

Is there, like... a good overview of all the fancy stuff you can do in this game? I'm as dense as all hell with automation and want to do fancier things.
I got a lot of ideas from francisjohn's base lovin videos.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
I stumbled upon Tony Advanced when I started and he has some good mid-late game stuff. Mostly him being a big nerd and messing around to make the most efficient designs for geysers and such, but he explains them well and I learned quite a few tricks. Sadly he seems to have stopped putting up new videos :(

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
This game should have been subtitled Crack Included. I got impatient and turned on sandbox mode after my latest garden started dying to mysterious heat, but hey at least this time I didn't pipe germs into my drinking water or gently caress up the waste water flow!

Biggest gently caress up so far was not realizing the sieve passes germs through and trying to fix it with a tepidizer, thus baking my whole base when it got too hot to shut off.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 4, 2020

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Shumagorath posted:

Biggest gently caress up so far was not realizing the sieve passes germs through and trying to fix it with a tepidizer, thus baking my whole base when it got too hot to shut off.

As the prophecy demands.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there a mod to give electrolyzers gas ports so I don't have to make a hotbox room?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Shumagorath posted:

Is there a mod to give electrolyzers gas ports so I don't have to make a hotbox room?

I am still pratfalling when branching out into slime or loving with early geysers (haven't done plastic or any real metal stuff) but yeah that is a real fuckin puzzler for me too.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

There is actually! https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1820866530

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I am still pratfalling when branching out into slime or loving with early geysers (haven't done plastic or any real metal stuff) but yeah that is a real fuckin puzzler for me too.

Really just don't touch any geysers in the early game, with the possible exception of natural gas if you can box it up, and metal volcanoes if you're okay with letting them dump heat into the environment to cool naturally for a while. In particular, steam geysers are a trap that will gently caress you up until you have a good handle on how to move heat around.

Edit: oh and cool slush geysers are fine of course.

Triarii fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 4, 2020

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

Managing electrolysers is very easy, once you have a handle on gas dynamics - only one gas can be present in a tile at one time and different gases have different heights they flow to, so if you have a gap of one tile and a sufficient concentration of hydrogen - the lightest gas - only hydrogen will flow through that gap. Google 'oni full Rodriguez' to find an example of how to use this.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Aethernet posted:

Managing electrolysers is very easy, once you have a handle on gas dynamics - only one gas can be present in a tile at one time and different gases have different heights they flow to, so if you have a gap of one tile and a sufficient concentration of hydrogen - the lightest gas - only hydrogen will flow through that gap. Google 'oni full Rodriguez' to find an example of how to use this.
Oh I get it, but it could also just have gas ports and save me ~700W and a double airlock.

Are there any further developments expected from Klei? I'd love to see something like nuclear fission for the top-tier power setup including having to manage radioactivity and heat, but I guess no-oxygen hydrogen generators are already fusion :v:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Shumagorath posted:

Oh I get it, but it could also just have gas ports and save me ~700W and a double airlock.

Are there any further developments expected from Klei? I'd love to see something like nuclear fission for the top-tier power setup including having to manage radioactivity and heat, but I guess no-oxygen hydrogen generators are already fusion :v:

It’s a trade off IMO, gas and liquid management are one of the only real features of the game once you get over the cliff that is the basic survival learning curves. Putting gas/liquid ports on major machines removes most pumps, which in turns removes most of your automation and electricity, which negates a bunch of heat and natural resources in kind. It kind of quietly dumbs the game down a whole bunch. Of course YMMV and if you’ve built 1000 SPOMs I get not wanting to deal with it again.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 4, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The appeal of Piped Output is that building clean networks is challenging enough, and now I can have four electrolyzers, two hydrogen generators, two reservoirs, a shittonne of batteries and essentially never have to worry about oxygen or sanitation again for my core base. I still have to balance shifts so three showers and toilets aren't overwhelmed, I still have to sink all that heat somewhere, and CO2 will still be a problem as I expand downward because I haven't hooked up any of my fossil generators to pipes. Clean drinking water will be an issue again soon enough (I already pumped out one shallow area to feed my main source) and as that gets consumed and moved around my coolant / industrial water tank will need to be expanded or drained somewhere. I'm even having issues with polluted oxygen from my sewage tank.

So, plenty of issues still to manage without having a room full of a hot explosive gas mix (or pipes full of it with my previous filter system which wouldn't have even been necessary with a slightly larger hotbox).

Right now I'm just messing around in sandbox mode to see what's possible. Do mods lock me out of achievements too?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 4, 2020

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I just realized all my 10 pages from thread posting/steam screenshots are gone so :rip: explaining any of those systems at the moment.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 4, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah I agree I'm playing EZ mode but I'll challenge myself with gas dynamics when I finally hit some chlorine (or worse). My entire electrolyzer and generator / battery / transformer setup are sandbox mode products because this way I can learn advanced systems sooner. I still haven't touched rooms, advanced medicine, décor/morale, advanced cooking, ranching or advanced materials / refined solids yet and I'm putting off interacting with all the slime around my septic pit.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah I edited out the second half about simplifying things, play the game how you enjoy it.

I’ll look into uploading some screenshots later and going over some of my old posts about gas/liquid management for new(er) people to the thread. I have a bit of Stockholm syndrome from the weird physics/fluid management in the game so I like posting about it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Hey, I get it. I would just rather deal with complex poo poo like plutonium than waste hundreds of Watts undoing the entropy of not piping a pair of internal electrodes :v:

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
i always get to a point where i feel the need to clean up my disgusting power lines and ventilation pipes that are crisscrossed all over the map, and everytime i feel like i should just start over and THIS time i'll plan everything out cleanly

i'm forcing myself to stick to this asteroid though, nearing cycle 200 and trying to set up babies first power grid in the far left side of the map, running lines horizontally from transformers

also: what uses does co2 have? i think someone said for cooling? can i get elaboration on that? i've started pumping co2 into reservoirs instead of using carbon skimmers because this way clears out a lot more co2 a lot faster.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mister No posted:

i always get to a point where i feel the need to clean up my disgusting power lines and ventilation pipes that are crisscrossed all over the map, and everytime i feel like i should just start over and THIS time i'll plan everything out cleanly

i'm forcing myself to stick to this asteroid though, nearing cycle 200 and trying to set up babies first power grid in the far left side of the map, running lines horizontally from transformers

also: what uses does co2 have? i think someone said for cooling? can i get elaboration on that? i've started pumping co2 into reservoirs instead of using carbon skimmers because this way clears out a lot more co2 a lot faster.

By cycle 200 just dig down to the bottom and let the slicksters eat the co2 it's easy automatic and gets you more oil then you'll ever need.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
i'm not seeing any slicksters down there, not sure if Frozen Core would affect that or not, though. i'll chuck them somewhere low if the printing pod ever gives me some larva eggs

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Mister No posted:

Aside from slicksters, running CO2 through a skimmer converts water to polluted water, which you can filter back to water and produce polluted dirt, which can be composted back to regular dirt. So CO2 really is plant food.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Mister No posted:

i'm not seeing any slicksters down there, not sure if Frozen Core would affect that or not, though. i'll chuck them somewhere low if the printing pod ever gives me some larva eggs

Slicksters need a relatively warm environment 35-160C. If your on a colder map they won't survive.

Slicksters are great because you can turn CO2 into oil and food. Even with all my slickster ranches I still was venting CO2 in space.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Mister No posted:

The idea behind CO2 cooling is you can transfer as much heat as possible into the unwanted CO2, then vent it off to space. I've never actually done this myself so I can't comment on the effectiveness of it.

Carbon skimmers are the fastest non-vent based CO2 removers. Slicksters turn the CO2 into more usable resources, but it can be difficult to acquire and manage enough of them to deal with the heavy CO2 generators.

There is a soda machine that takes CO2 now. It doesn't use much though. Oxyferns consume CO2, but very little.

If you don't care about the energy expenditure you can freeze the CO2, then store an infinite quantity of it in a refrigerated pit.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 4, 2020

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Unless you want the polluted dirt for some reason, it's probably easiest to just send the CO2 into space. It's much cheaper in terms of power than anything else.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Smiling Demon posted:

If you don't care about the energy expenditure you can freeze the CO2, then store an infinite quantity of it in a refrigerated pit.

you can already store infinite amounts of gaseous CO2 in a room about the size of a gas reservoir by doing the liquid on a vent trick to overpressurize it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there an easy way to designate one hand pump for food and one hand pump for research?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Triarii posted:

There is actually! https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1820866530

Really just don't touch any geysers in the early game, with the possible exception of natural gas if you can box it up, and metal volcanoes if you're okay with letting them dump heat into the environment to cool naturally for a while. In particular, steam geysers are a trap that will gently caress you up until you have a good handle on how to move heat around.

Edit: oh and cool slush geysers are fine of course.

No gently caress you dad *kills his only researcher trying to analyze a geyser right as it goes off*

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Griz posted:

you can already store infinite amounts of gaseous CO2 in a room about the size of a gas reservoir by doing the liquid on a vent trick to overpressurize it.

Speaking of this, I had always kind of avoided using it because it seemed a bit exploity, but I gave it in a try in my last colony and goddamn is it nice being able to store the full output of all of my natural gas geysers without needing to build huge fields of gas containers. I even stuck an atmo sensor in there that will alert me if I'm running out of gas using this mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1830056116

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Found a gold geyser in a close by ice biome! I'm not close to actually exploiting it yet given I don't have plastic or steel or anything to contain it, but would something like this still work? I know some of the machines that used to output at a set temp are now dynamic based on input, so a lot of older 'builds' don't work anymore in tutorial videos, and I haven't touched steam power or geysers yet so I want to get an idea of what can work before I gently caress up the colony and/or ice biome with heat from liquid GOOOOOOOLD

I've used this exact design on my last few bases and it works fine. I use the versions with automation so the metal comes out at 125C instead of 500C. It's been stable over hundreds of cycles. I love the idea of the steam turbine cooling itself with its own 95C output water. ONI violates the laws of physics yet again.

The "dump an ocean of water on it" solution others have mentioned is also totally viable. Have fun experimenting with it :)

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Shumagorath posted:

Is there an easy way to designate one hand pump for food and one hand pump for research?

If you have specific dups that cook your food, you can use door permissions. Lock everyone but the cooks out of the kitchen and cooking pump, and lock the cooks out of the research pump and the room with your research stations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Han Nehi posted:

If you have specific dups that cook your food, you can use door permissions. Lock everyone but the cooks out of the kitchen and cooking pump, and lock the cooks out of the research pump and the room with your research stations.

I use the liquid bottler mod for this, basically a small station you can run a pipe to that dupes can pull liquid from and set it next to the grill. Honestly it feels like something that should be in base game why do you have to dump a liquid onto the floor to get it from a pipe to a bottle.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

socialsecurity posted:

I use the liquid bottler mod for this, basically a small station you can run a pipe to that dupes can pull liquid from and set it next to the grill. Honestly it feels like something that should be in base game why do you have to dump a liquid onto the floor to get it from a pipe to a bottle.

Plumbers can take the water out straight from the pipe, right into bottle form. :eng101:

It still really gets me that my happy little idiots will scamper right past all the sinks so they can manually draw up water from an old-timey pump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

There’s a gas bottler which you can hook up to a ventilation line to provide an on-demand can of whatever is hooked up, which can be hauled like other objects. I thought it was vanilla, I have never run with mods past trying airlock doors which block gas circulation.

Seems weird there wouldn’t be a liquid version of that, either in vanilla or in whatever mod I picked up which has it.