Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Oh heck! I can finally play it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

holy poo poo what the gently caress

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
This went 1 to 100 real fast.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Occultatio posted:

holy poo poo what the gently caress

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Okay this was the tamest jumpscare to make me go "Ahhh!" out loud in my house at 2 AM.

And I just mean 10 seconds in :ohdear:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
One of his replies is gold too
https://twitter.com/mattstark256/status/1213174188237824000

Orv
May 4, 2011
Nope, nope nope nope. Brain no work that way.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That reminds me that I never did finish Antichamber

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
That is some neat camera work.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Bit of a PC Gaming question: Does an NVMe SSD make an appreciable difference in loading stutter compared to a SATA one? Specifically wondering if that would brute force past some of the issues in badly optimized games, like I'm experiencing right now in Fallen Order.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

That reminds me that I never did finish Antichamber
I wonder if those, like, purple cubes you can make roll along paths and poo poo ever did anything. There were a few things in the game which seemed not quite finished like that.

I looked it up at the time though and saw things like "I examined memory and the game doesn't actually keep track of if you did that once you leave the area"

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
GOTY 2020 already confirmed.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

GhostDog posted:

Bit of a PC Gaming question: Does an NVMe SSD make an appreciable difference in loading stutter compared to a SATA one? Specifically wondering if that would brute force past some of the issues in badly optimized games, like I'm experiencing right now in Fallen Order.

It’s unlikely - Fallen Order seems to do that it pretty much any configuration. I ended up just ignoring it after a while, but folks have all sorts of suggestions like updating drivers, switching to full screen from borderless, forcing on vsync in NVCP, etc.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also apparently the date/time given from the KRZ hotline is this Tuesday at Noon EST.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hwurmp posted:

it is 2020 and I have only just learned that Steam trading cards have artwork attached to them

Writing as well sometimes. Although I only think Heat Signature went so far as attaching stories to them: https://steamcommunity.com/games/268130/announcements/detail/1708443926960046083

Sininu posted:

Oh heck! I can finally play it!

:same:

I don’t even remember when I bought it. 2017? I think it was during a sale when flash sales were still a thing.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I bought KRZ back in 2011

drat

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I got curious as well and it turns out Humble Indie Bundle 18 had KRZ. That was May 2017. Huh, I thought I got it during a Steam sale.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Now would be a good time to replay KRZ since I've forgotten most of it.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Do you like classic Fire Emblem?

Someone did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGyX66G7fUo
https://store.steampowered.com/app/694770/Vestaria_Saga_I_War_of_the_Scions/

Edit: That someone is apparently the original creator of Fire Emblem so that's pretty cool.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 5, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Man it's a shame DANGEN is involved. He's probably being taken for a ride by that corrupt publisher.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

GhostDog posted:

To fully answer this outside of the frame of J:FO, no not really. There would be a difference but not really an appreciable one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

GhostDog posted:

As far as I'm aware load stutters are more of a memory management issue than anything related to the hard drive, especially if you're already using an SSD. You would see a general improvement in load times but it wouldn't solve frame hitching whenever new assets are called into or dumped out of memory. For games that have this problem I limit frames to 60fps with RTSS and/or use Intelligent Standby List Cleaner to better manage system memory. It's been helpful for a number of games I've played this year -- AC Origins/Odyssey, Division 2, A Plague Tale, etc.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
In some cases, load hitching can be an issue with asset streaming from the HD, but that's fairly rare and most modern games already use an asset streaming method for those "zero loading screens" types of levels that minimizes this as far as possible. When a major game has hitching like that, it's nearly always an optimization issue that you can't really do anything about on your end. Fallen Order in particular has occasional small stutters and freezes on any video of it I've seen so far, so that's really nothing to do with your system in particular.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I stopped playing KRZ a little way into ep 3 because I realised I had forgotten too much of the first two episodes, and it would be best to wait for the whole thing to be completed.

Made the right choice there, I reckon.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Det_no posted:

Someone did.

Edit: That someone is apparently the original creator of Fire Emblem so that's pretty cool.
From what I've watched of this game on youtube, it seems to be mostly inspired by FE 4 and 5 which doesn't exactly raise confidence.
They also somehow managed to make the animations choppier than FE on the loving GBA.

Much as I'd love to see FE on PC, this looks pretty bad.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 5, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Krazyface posted:

I stopped playing KRZ a little way into ep 3 because I realised I had forgotten too much of the first two episodes, and it would be best to wait for the whole thing to be completed.

Made the right choice there, I reckon.

I did pretty much the same thing and my patience has been rewarded. I remember when Ep. 5 was initially supposed to come out in early 2018.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Det_no posted:

Someone did.

Considering how Kaga's previous non-FE games were, it's probably not very good.

He's also a horrible creepy weirdo

Andrast fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 5, 2020

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

well I was not expecting that

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Black Mesa Xen report:

It still loving sucks. I foolishly thought that the huge delay was in part due to improving Xen and not making it the slog it was in the original HL. Nope! I don't know if they've made it longer but it sure feels like it. It takes so long to get to the nutsack boss and then it takes an hour to finally kill the loving thing. I looked up a lets play and I still have over an hour of Xen until the games ends. I would have enjoyed the game so much more if I'd played it a month ago and it ended at the teleporter.

Koburn fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 5, 2020

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

exquisite tea posted:

As far as I'm aware load stutters are more of a memory management issue than anything related to the hard drive, especially if you're already using an SSD. You would see a general improvement in load times but it wouldn't solve frame hitching whenever new assets are called into or dumped out of memory. For games that have this problem I limit frames to 60fps with RTSS and/or use Intelligent Standby List Cleaner to better manage system memory. It's been helpful for a number of games I've played this year -- AC Origins/Odyssey, Division 2, A Plague Tale, etc.

Thanks, also to the other answers. I'll save my money and just try harder to ignore the stutters :)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Det_no posted:

Someone did.

Andrast posted:

Considering how Kaga's previous non-FE games were, it's probably not very good.
Yup.

quote:

He's also a horrible creepy weirdo
?

Oh, because of all the incest. Yeah, that makes sense.

I have a really hard time figuring out what everyone are on about re: Sayonara Wild Hearts. Watched some videos, read some reviews, just...??

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Xander77 posted:

I have a really hard time figuring out what everyone are on about re: Sayonara Wild Hearts. Watched some videos, read some reviews, just...??

The music and aesthetic really have to gel with you. It's simple game. Auto scrolling runner with some timed button pressing. The little story included is pretty positive and uplifting. Someone said it did nothing for them but they skipped all the story bits and that's like cutting a huge part of the experience out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sayonara Wild Hearts reminds me of Gris, in that it goes in heavy on the aesthetic and experience, and if that doesn't work for you, the entire game doesn't work.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I bought an 8bit do USB adapter to use my Wii U Pro controllers and Switch Pro controller with my PC. It worked flawlessly for months, until this morning. Now none of my controllers will work with any game. By all accounts I connect a controller to the USB adapter successfully, but in game it's like the controller doesn't exist. I've tried both Wii U Pros and my Switch Pro. Any ideas what's wrong?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Koburn posted:

Black Mesa Xen report:

It still loving sucks. I foolishly thought that the huge delay was in part due to improving Xen and not making it the slog it was in the original HL. Nope! I don't know if they've made it longer but it sure feels like it. It takes so long to get to the nutsack boss and then it takes an hour to finally kill the loving thing. I looked up a lets play and I still have over an hour of Xen until the games ends. I would have enjoyed the game so much more if I'd played it a month ago and it ended at the teleporter.

I've had the exact opposite experience to be honest. I played BM back when it was just the earthside stuff and I really enjoyed it. Played through the full release again and still had loads of fun. The new Xen is really well designed, looks beautiful, and makes a whole bunch of visual sense out of the abstract map design of the first and hinted story beats from HL1 and HL2. The whole thing is a lot longer than the original Xen, and that's fine because there's more than 2 game mechanics in the entire chapter. They've added several unique and interesting puzzle mechanics, and I thought the mix of combat vs puzzling was really good. The final boss is also reworked and is actually a really good fight, with a lot of the elements of the original but way less of the annoying stuff.

Overall, as a huge fanboy of Half-Life, I am really really happy with the final product of Black Mesa and I am currently replaying it. 10/10.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Wildtortilla posted:

I bought an 8bit do USB adapter to use my Wii U Pro controllers and Switch Pro controller with my PC. It worked flawlessly for months, until this morning. Now none of my controllers will work with any game. By all accounts I connect a controller to the USB adapter successfully, but in game it's like the controller doesn't exist. I've tried both Wii U Pros and my Switch Pro. Any ideas what's wrong?
And Windows recognizes it correctly? As in, you get the little pop-up saying "[Controller] connected"? Try going to your device manager and manually deleting it while connected, disconnect, restart and reconnect. If it's a driver issue, that normally fixes the problem. If it isn't a driver issue, then I'm not sure what to do either.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Wildtortilla posted:

Have you checked to see if there's a firmware update? 8bitdo is pretty good about support.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

And Windows recognizes it correctly? As in, you get the little pop-up saying "[Controller] connected"? Try going to your device manager and manually deleting it while connected, disconnect, restart and reconnect. If it's a driver issue, that normally fixes the problem. If it isn't a driver issue, then I'm not sure what to do either.

I get the USB connected sound effect when I plug in the adapter, but I can't find anything that might be a game controller in Device Manager.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Maybe you changed the adapters mode by accident? There's button combos you can press to change how the adapter presents itself to the system.

You generally want Xinput for PC stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So I figured I'd check out the new releases queue for kicks n' giggles and it found something similar to Atelier Sophie and I was intrigued -

woah. Did not know that doing alchemy would let you meet super-ripped men