Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tonfa posted:

Hold the gently caress up Mochi is GHC tag champ?

It's been quite the start to the year for Dragon Gate guys despite them not running a streamed show yet: Susumu is AJPW Jr Heavyweight champ & now Mochi is GHC Tag Champ with Marufuji. Pretty wild but cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

YESSSSSSSS

DICK TOGO RULES

Who is the gentleman in the mask?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 5, 2020

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Will the AJPW.TV service ever have the archive stuff from way back when? Having it all missing is the main reason I only hold a sub for the carnival.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Akileese posted:

Will the AJPW.TV service ever have the archive stuff from way back when? Having it all missing is the main reason I only hold a sub for the carnival.

Is this an issue with a TV company holding the rights to that footage?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Akileese posted:

Never say never but the footage is owned by whatever channel they had pre NOAH split (NTV) and they went with Misawa and friends, before dumping NOAH later that decade. So it seems hugely unlikely but there are places on the Internet with masses of All Japan footage from pre split. YouTube, other filesharing methods.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I would absolutely kill for cleaned up 90s All Japan footage. I don’t think I’ve seen anything that wasn’t 2nd gen VHS.

But if they touch the music I will riot

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Awww hell yeah, All Japan giving me what I want with that Nomura Yoshida singles match. And on a show that's on their service too, from KBS Hall.

https://twitter.com/b3rt4/status/1213328155639001090?s=20

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

YESSSSSSSS

DICK TOGO RULES

Who is the gentleman in the mask?

El Hijo de Dr Wagner Jr

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

Never say never but the footage is owned by whatever channel they had pre NOAH split (NTV) and they went with Misawa and friends, before dumping NOAH later that decade. So it seems hugely unlikely but there are places on the Internet with masses of All Japan footage from pre split. YouTube, other filesharing methods.

That's what I figured was the case. Like I said, if it ever gets to the point where AJPW.TV has all that stuff, I'll immediately sub year round.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

A very real fear I have is that WWE makes a huge bid for that footage and NTV is dumb enough to sell (which would be unlikely for a lot reasons but it's a fear)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Some interesting stats here, I laughed at Sakura Hirota having the most singles matches and the most time spent in singles matches.

https://www.pwanalysis.com/entry/2020/01/04/120000

Would never have guessed that 102 people wrestled for NJPW last year

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

According to cubsfan 2019 Rookie Ranking Tournament winner Shun Skywalker is off to Mexico for the first half of the year. He will be missed on Dragon Gate shows :(

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1214255986678157314?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Some interesting stats here, I laughed at Sakura Hirota having the most singles matches and the most time spent in singles matches.

https://www.pwanalysis.com/entry/2020/01/04/120000

Would never have guessed that 102 people wrestled for NJPW last year

God, of course the entire top 10 most matches is Dragon Gate dudes.

Also like that the only 2 non-DG guys in the "Most Wins" category are both LIJ dudes, and find it super interesting that 4 of the top 6 dudes for "Longest Average match length" are from NOAH (Kiyomiya, Shiozaki, Nakajima, Marufuji).

Also, 9 hours of Will Ospreay singles matches. And I'm assuming I saw every minute of them.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Quiet Storm is leaving NOAH on January 30th.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Quiet Storm is leaving NOAH on January 30th.

retiring or going freelance?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Freelance

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I know I've seen him wrestler multiple times in 2019 but I'm blanking out now: does he still yell STORM! CRADLE! DRIVER! before doing the Storm Cradle Driver? Or has he tragically left that goofiness back in 2002 ROH with former tag partner Chris Divine?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NOAH's Global Junior League starts on Friday and here are your lineups

https://twitter.com/noah_ghc/status/1214166474186723329?s=20

Group A
HAYATA (RATEL'S)
Yoshinari Ogawa (Stinger)
NOSAWA Rongai (Sugiura Army)
Junta Miyawaki

Group B
Kotaro Suzuki (Stinger)
Tadasuke (RATEL'S)
Haō (Kongo)
Dick Togo (Sugiura Army)

Group C
Atsushi Kotoge (Stinger)
YO-HEY (RATEL'S)
Hajime Ohura (Sugiura Army)
Hitoshi Kumano

Group D
Daisuke Harada (RATEL'S)
Chris Ridgeway (Stinger)
Minoru Tanaka
Niō (Kongo)

(Niō is Hi69, Haō is Yuki Sato)

They've not done very many of these: Yoshinobu Kanemaru won in 2009, Daisuke Harada won in 2015, Kotaro Suzuki won in 2018 & HAYATA is the defending champ. Ogawa might be getting replaced but that's not very clear at the moment. Anyway, first show is 10th, with the rest on the 11th, 12th, 19th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 25th & the semi-finals & final will be on the show on the 30th from Korakuen Hall. As of now we've no idea what shows will be broadcast. You'd assume the finals at the very least.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Not exactly surprising considering their scheduling decisions but here you have it

https://twitter.com/Hi5ame/status/1215029786525020167?s=19

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

gently caress yeah @ both posts above

Kinda want Junta to win the whole Junior League, but I'll be happy if he goes 0-3 and wrestles his heart out anyway

Junta Miyawaki's a super junior to watch, anyway

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
https://www.pwanalysis.com/entry/2020/01/03/120000

Some interesting numbers for the business in Japan in 2019. 2019 was pretty sluggish across the board (with one exception). The combined attendance was more or less the same as last year but from more shows so a decrease in average crowds.

All major promotions had a fall in overall attendance. Dragon gate went from 124k (10 percent of the market) to 110k (9 percent of the market in 2019), AJPW went from 87k (7 percent of the market) to 81k (7 percent of the market), DDT from 71k to 70k (maintaining a market share of 6 percent) and NOAH went from 59k to 55k (from 5 to 4 percent)

The exception is New Japan who grew their attendance in 2019 from 395k to 417k and increased their share of the market from 34 percent to 36 percent. Since 2012 (take this with a huge grain of salt due to the history of bullshit gates in Japan until very recently) New Japans market share has gone from 24 percent of attendance to 36 percent. With this year maybe closing off Tokyo for a period of time with the Olympics and NJPW pulling 75k across 3 days to start the year, its probably likely they increase its percentage of the live attendance market. in what will probably be another sluggish year for wrestling in Japan.

I think its probably fair to say dragon gate are the number 2 promotion in Japan.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 9, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I love New Japan a lot but man is it sad seeing business falling for everyone else. NOAH, AJPW, Dragon Gate, they all had absolutely killer poo poo in 2019.

I'd like to hope NOAH can pick things up in 2020 with NOSAWA (side note but it is the funniest thing to me that the booker of NOAH is a guy with an ICP tattoo on his neck) in charge of booking because they've some great young guys, some killer vets, a fun Junior division. But honestly at this point NJPW just seem to be light years out in front. Hope I'm wrong, competition benefits everyone.

Just want to say that Hisame has done such a big job in making following NOAH a breeze between her blog & Twitter. Really helps to know who the wrestlers are and just give you more reasons than "good matches" to care about them.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/ddtpro/status/1215244128885149696?s=19

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Seeing as Dragon Gate finally has a strong ace in Ben-K and they're iirc trying to become the NJPW of western Japan or something like that, I feel as though business will definitely pick up for them over the next couple of years

iirc that whole formal AJPW/NOAH/W-1 alliance never came to fruition, right? Shame really, something like that would definitely help them compete with NJPW going forward. Oh well.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

forkboy84 posted:

I love New Japan a lot but man is it sad seeing business falling for everyone else. NOAH, AJPW, Dragon Gate, they all had absolutely killer poo poo in 2019.

I'd like to hope NOAH can pick things up in 2020 with NOSAWA (side note but it is the funniest thing to me that the booker of NOAH is a guy with an ICP tattoo on his neck) in charge of booking because they've some great young guys, some killer vets, a fun Junior division. But honestly at this point NJPW just seem to be light years out in front. Hope I'm wrong, competition benefits everyone.

Just want to say that Hisame has done such a big job in making following NOAH a breeze between her blog & Twitter. Really helps to know who the wrestlers are and just give you more reasons than "good matches" to care about them.

NOAH run that big Marufiji card in 2018 that they didnt run in 2019. I think they are about on par. I was speaking to someone who also tracks attendance and they were running a bit better over the back half of the year according to him. So take that with the caveat that it was just some dude on reddit.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

All Japan TV has a show on at the same time as New Japan tomorrow. And then another the following day.

10/1/2020
AJPW New Year Wars
Nagoyashi Meito Sports Center, Nagoya
4:30AM EST, 1:30AM PST, 9:30AM GMT, 6:30PM JST

All Asia Tag Team Titles
Jake Lee & Koji Iwamoto (c) vs Ryouji Sai & So Daimonji
Kento Miyahara, Yoshitatsu, & Hokuto Omori vs. Yuma Aoyagi, Danny Jones, & Francisco Akira
Violent Giants (Suwama & Shuji Ishikawa) vs. Naoya Nomura & Dan Tamura
Wild Menso (Takao Omori & Black Menso~re) vs. Jun Akiyama & SUSHI
Evolution (Hikaru Sato & Yusuke Okada) vs. God's Legion (UTAMARO & Izanagi)
Rising HAYATO Trial Series, Match 1 of 3
Rising HAYATO vs. Zeus

11/1/2020
AJPW New Year Wars: All Day Ebisu "Let's do it! Oi!"
Yodogawa Civic Center, Osaka
2:00AM EST, 11:00PM PST(1/10), 7:00AM GMT, 4:00PM JST

Violent Giants (Suwama & Shuji Ishikawa) & Strong Thirteen vs. Yoshiken (Kento Miyahara & Yoshitatsu) & SUSHI
Jake Lee vs. Danny Jones
Zeus, Jun Akiyama, & Francisco Akira vs. Wild Menso (Takao Omori & Black Menso~re) & Rising HAYATO
Evolution (Hikaru Sato & Yusuke Okada) vs. Atsushi Maruyama & Black Tiger VII
Naoya Nomura & Hokuto Omori vs. Yuma Aoyagi & Atsuki Aoyagi
Koji Iwamoto vs. Dan Tamura

There's also NOAH on Friday & Sunday but god only knows what the gently caress will be shown live or on delay or on Youtube or never see the light of the day like it's 1998. I'm spoiled. Anyway, have a Dragon Gate card which is live on the Network and has the start of the tournament to crown new Open The Twin Gate champions.

11/1/2020
Dragon Gate Open The New Year Gate
KBS Hall, Kyoto
2:15AM EST, 11PM PST (10/1), 7:15AM GMT, 4:15PM JST

Open The Twin Gate Title Tournament 1st Round
KAI & Strong Machine J vs BxB Hulk & KAZMA Sakamoto
Dragon Kid, Naruki Doi & Ultimo Dragon vs Big R Shimizu, Eita & Kaito Ishida
Ben-K & YAMATO vs Gamma & Masaaki Mochizuki
Keisuke Okuda & Punch Tominaga vs Masato Yoshino & Susumu Yokosuka
HYO vs Ryo Saito
Genki Horiguchi vs Jason Lee
Don Fujii & Yasushi Kanda vs Dragon Dia & KZY

Twin Gate tournament is a straight knockout deal, there's 12 teams involved so 4 teams get a bye to round 2. Teams that enter at round 2 (on the 12th in Osaka) are Big R Shimizu & Eita, Dragon Kid & Kagetora, Genki Horiguchi & Ryo Saito, & Jason Lee & Yosuke♡Santa Maria. Big E will face winner of Ben-K & YAMATO vs Gamma & Mochizuki, Kid & Kagetora will face winner of Fujii & Kanda vs Dia & KZY, Genki & Ryo will face winner of KAI & J vs Hulk & KAZMA, Lee & Yosuke will face winner of the last match. Which is almost certainly going to be Yoshino & Yokosuka.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Just out of curiosity, which Japanese promotions have regular TV presence inside of Japan?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

Just out of curiosity, which Japanese promotions have regular TV presence inside of Japan?

If you've got Samurai TV you instantly have access to a boatload of wrestling. They have New Japan, NOAH, All Japan, ZERO1, Stardom, DDT, Big Japan, Freedoms. Then GAORA has Wrestle 1 & Dragongate at least. Honestly, Samurai TV seems like the best TV channel in the world.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

OK so basically all of them have some TV presence. That's good.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The big ones, yeah, they'll have some sort of coverage, probably of a show at Korakuen Hall. But Samurai TV is, as I understand it, not a channel that most people have because it's a subscription cable/satellite channel & that's not caught on in the same was in the US.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Is there a way to get Samuari TV in the states? I'd love access to more wrestling.

Edit: Derp, answered above while I was typing my response!

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I think a Dragon Gate gen team is getting the Twin Gate, probably either the YAMATO/Ben-K team or the Kzy/Dragon Dia team. Since Toryumon has the Dream Gate, and RED has the Triangle and Brave gates, I think they'll want to balance out the factions at the beginning of the year by giving the Dragon Gate Gen the other "main" title.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

If I was a betting man I'd probably bet on Ben-K & YAMATO to win it. I dunno, Dragon Dia seems far too low down the pecking order, it'd be like Punch winning. But I suppose 2020 could be the time to start giving him a little more shine.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

It'd probably be YAMATO/Ben-K but my thinking was A. They're high on Dragon Dia, and the mini-push he got at the end of 2019 might be prepping him for bigger things this year, and giving him a surprise flash win over Hulk seems like something DG would do, and B. I'm thinking they might want to give Kzy a belt, since he's essentially the co-leader of the Dragon Gate gen with YAMATO, and YAMATO doesn't really need a belt at his moment.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

Is there a way to get Samuari TV in the states? I'd love access to more wrestling.

Edit: Derp, answered above while I was typing my response!

http://www.isakuraiptv.com/

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

The big ones, yeah, they'll have some sort of coverage, probably of a show at Korakuen Hall. But Samurai TV is, as I understand it, not a channel that most people have because it's a subscription cable/satellite channel & that's not caught on in the same was in the US.

Keep in mind Japan hasn't ever caught on to cable or satellite in the way the US did, it's got a much smaller footprint by comparison. and even then, if you want to get a satellite subscription, SamuraiTV is in the sports tier above and beyond the normal tier. So it's not like back in the day when NJPW and AJPW and then NOAH had TV deals on legit-rear end broadcast TV.

[edit] tl;dr calling it a "TV presence" is a bit overselling things. keep it in context.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Samurai TV is Japanese BEiN Sports

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

OK do any of them have broadcast presence that regular people would watch in Japan then?

I understand Dragon Gate is probably the number 2 fed in Japan (I've asked this before). Do any of DG, Noah, or AJPW have decent English (or Spanish) content outside of the shows? I understand there won't be English commentary, but if there are like, either official or fan made English language recap essays or something that can help me keep up with the story lines?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

OK do any of them have broadcast presence that regular people would watch in Japan then?

I understand Dragon Gate is probably the number 2 fed in Japan (I've asked this before). Do any of DG, Noah, or AJPW have decent English (or Spanish) content outside of the shows? I understand there won't be English commentary, but if there are like, either official or fan made English language recap essays or something that can help me keep up with the story lines?

I believe DG has started doing an english broadcast for major shows, I think they use old EVOLVE/DGUSA manager Larry Dallas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

Stardom now has a TV show which is on network TV in Tokyo only. There are companies on cable TV which have more reach than Samurai TV. NOAH is on G+ and AJPW/DG/OZ are on GAORA, both of which are in around 8 million households from the latest data I can find.