Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Disco Salmon posted:

However, Mr. Trevor MotherFuckin Phillips aka "Shithead" is sporting a lovely new bandaged foot and a round of antibiotics and painkillers for the next couple of days. Lovely.

Get well soon Trev! If you can afford it I always kept some corn starch powder nearby in case one of the birds got a blood feather loose or something like that. Barring that, cooking flour works in a pinch. Makes a huge mess but nothing will cover absolutely everything - wounds included - like flour.

Seeing blood on your sweet critters is always scary, so I hope you're doing okay too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

I hope your little fluffy potato feels better soon!

I also keep a thing of avian anti -clot under their cages. Haven't had to use it, but Serra likes to have night frights. I sleep better knowing I have a solution under the cage if a bad one happened.

I have that too but it wouldn't stop..so I went into panic mode :( Needless to say His Squawkiness is currently trying to get back to the scene of the crime and get into her treats....and she is giving him THE LOOK. So its early bedtime for these two. He has been working on the bandage they put on...they said they put an extra on to keep him busy and away from the "real" one. If it comes off it should be ok as long as no fresh blood is showing. He goes back on Saturday for a recheck.

With my luck, he will

a) get the bandages off
b) start bleeding
c) and do this all on NYD when the clinic is closed and I have to use their avian off-hours emergency room services. Which cost a hell of a lot more than the clinic e-visit.

I have to give him meds in the am and pm for the next week... I think I will bribe him with a little cheese as a reward for taking the meds and not my fingers. Hopefully, that is. This is gonna be so fun...not.

Chaosfeather posted:

Get well soon Trev! If you can afford it I always kept some corn starch powder nearby in case one of the birds got a blood feather loose or something like that. Barring that, cooking flour works in a pinch. Makes a huge mess but nothing will cover absolutely everything - wounds included - like flour.

Seeing blood on your sweet critters is always scary, so I hope you're doing okay too.

Thanks...I was fine all the way there till I got him in the back, then I started tearing up in the room. At least it was a private area and he took a good long while in the back so I had time to compose myself :) Ugh. yeah, I did everything I was supposed to do, but the little bird first aid kit I have, the powder didn't really work... and he kept bleeding thru the powder. I basically went into panic mode. I've heard too many stories about birds going into shock, or bleeding out, etc, etc, etc. and all I could do was try the first aid, and when that didn't seem to work called the vet on the way there telling them I was on the way. I do ok in emergencies, but after is when I lose it.

ATM I am sitting here listening to them both beak grinding, and being terribly glad that things went ok. Still a bit on the "omg my bird was bleeding" adrenaline shakes. but I'm doing much better seeing that he really doesn't seem to care lol He cares more about playing with the tons of bandages they put oh him. It really hit me after he went to bed when I was cleaning his cage out....just blood drops all over the place. I've got his rope perches and his towel in the washing machine atm, and his wood perches/toys in the dishwasher...and used the cleaner on the cage to clean the bars and whatnot that I could think of so that it could be decontaminated.

I'm just slightly paranoid that he will spend all night working on his bandage and get it off overnight :( I am probably panicking over nothing but... yeah. My mind goes bad places sometimes, you know?

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Oh no Trevor!!! So glad he's okay!!! :(

that said... "feisty" lol 😂😂😂

Yeah...that's an understatement. I could hear him from the room yelling at them NOT OK and STOP IT in between his cheeps that mean "I'm rather angry right now and you should really understand that" lol

I love that turdnugget soo much... He was happy to see me :) When they brought him back to me he was in a little Tupperware box with a lid. They popped the top off and he says "Sweet BABY!!! " then tried to launch himself out to me. He was helped out by the tech and Trev took off and flew to my head then rubbed me going "hey baby its ok don't worry". Then laughed LOL He's such a brat...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://twitter.com/_se1n/status/1211838228304560128

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/OmCunTC.mp4

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Mochi's been saying "do a shake?" for quite a while but he's also clearly just now said "do a flip?" after I asked him! Conure-grumbly of course, but so clear. It amazes me what they decide to pick up and when. :kimchi: I like this much better than when he tries to emulate me shushing them because it's really just a weird unsettling quiet groan that he now also does when he wants attention after bedtime but knows he should be sleeping... Gotta have lips for that one, I think.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 31, 2019

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzy9BULuoX0

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

The most adorable way to go deaf in one ear :kimchi:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

If I had that conversation going on in my house, all day every day, I'd never get anything done ever again. I'd just sit there, enthralled, until I eventually starved.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

If I had that conversation going on in my house, all day every day, I'd never get anything done ever again. I'd just sit there, enthralled, until I eventually starved.

hmmmm that could help me lose weight....

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Disco Salmon posted:

hmmmm that could help me lose weight....

How is Trev? I'm worried for him.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

How is Trev? I'm worried for him.

He is doing good... bandage is STILL on (tho I don't know how cos he has been working on it like crazy). He's been a little on the quiet side, but I am chalking that up to the meds (he hasn't bit me since Monday.... it's so weird). I weighed him Tuesday, the day after the vet and he was down to 65 grams from 70 the day before. But, I wasn't too surprised cos he didn't eat much that day at all. He was back today to 68 grams so I think he's eating better lol

He is taking the meds well, tho he is not happy about getting held for them...once he is in position and gets the meds he is fine. Especially since he gets the Highly Not For Birds Cos it Mom's Special Coconut Almond Butter as a treat afterward, and apparently its the best thing to him EVER.

Recheck for bandages is Saturday, so we get to see how he's done and if its healing well enough to take them off I guess.

He is really doing well tho overall... lots better than I would have thought. I am pretty sure the pain meds make him tired, cos he hasn't made a peep when I covered him up at night, and usually, he chatters non stop for a few hours. He was muttering at me a little bit last night so I think he's doing better.

Thanks so much for asking :)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

:same:

"Are you an EAGLE?" "IM AN EAGLE!"
"..."
"I love you"

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The moment when the birb realises it's not a game, it's a competition.

https://www.facebook.com/y940911/videos/1590515834336341/

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Pookah posted:

The moment when the birb realises it's not a game, it's a competition.

https://www.facebook.com/y940911/videos/1590515834336341/

When I grow old I want to be a cockatoo.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ozzy likes the "let's take turns singing to each other" game. Sera hates it. It's a drat good thing that I obsessively taught myself to whistle when I was nine.

In other news, I love the way Sera reaches up to bite the bridge of my glasses so that I can kiss his throat. I have no idea why biting my glasses is so essential, but it is

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Captain Log posted:

When I grow old I want to be a cockatoo.

Now imagine working at a exotic bird store (like i did) and having the cockatoo gently nibble your ear and then just blast out a scream point blank.

I can have a parrot bite my finger with no reaction but that moment was when they got me to flinch.

RoboRodent posted:

In other news, I love the way Sera reaches up to bite the bridge of my glasses so that I can kiss his throat. I have no idea why biting my glasses is so essential, but it is

Because its easier to keep that position then.

Its like an arm chair for beaks.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 2, 2020

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

RoboRodent posted:

Ozzy likes the "let's take turns singing to each other" game. Sera hates it. It's a drat good thing that I obsessively taught myself to whistle when I was nine.

Cockatiels nibbling glasses so you feel their throats on your nose and kiss their warm bellies is the best feeling :kimchi:

Also seeing the intense look of cross eyed concentration on their beast little eyes

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

DarkHorse posted:

Cockatiels nibbling glasses so you feel their throats on your nose and kiss their warm bellies is the best feeling :kimchi:

Also seeing the intense look of cross eyed concentration on their beast little eyes

Serra likes to nibbles on a finger while getting scritched.

I think it's her way of trying to fight a yawn fit.

Serra will mostly beak and nip when she gets angry. But, I've found out, she isn't biting in the slightest. How do I know? The other day, she thought she was foraging near my t-shirt and tried to get a piece of T-shirt, not knowing I was under it. I swear by the force of that accidental bite, she could punch holes in me all day if she wanted.

I'm pretty proud of her temperament. I'm a firm believer that pets absorb the "energy" and emotions their owner/master/human puts out. I've not had a bitey cockatiel yet. I really think they are the ideal small bird and very forgiving in errors you will occasionally make. Lord knows I've made plenty of those mistakes.

My female parakeets tend to hate me, though. Speaking of that, here is a crappy picture of Blue and Yellow! Yellow will bite the unholy hell out of me.

Blue has a band, so I suspect he was bred to be a show parakeet. He has a little shock of white fluff coming out of his head, so I think that's why he went to a pet store.

Yellow is...Yellow. I think she has some poor genetics. She is really fat because 99% of her food is regurgitated to her by Blue. Her nails grow outrageously fast because she doesn't do much. My vet agrees with that synopsis. She also has always had a problem of falling off her perches at night, which gives Serra night frights. I'm ordering her some flat old bird perches once I finish posting.

But as you all know, Yellow had some sort of health event a year ago and only survived because Blue tended to her like a nurse. She just stayed flooded up all day. She seemed confused and out of it. Blue spent about two weeks just sitting with her, feeding her, and preening her. She actually pulled out of whatever happened because of Blue.

Even if Yellow isn't a shining example of parakeet virility, her and Blue have a hysterical love/hate relationship that makes me feel pretty confident in their being happy.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sera's given me a bit of a painful nip here and there. Once he drew blood, but that was a case of him being in a state of absolute terror and I'm not sure he knew what was happening at all, so he latched onto the inside of my arm and bit down hard while I was trying to rescue him. Ozzy came to me bitey. I don't think he ever broke the skin, but he'd bite pretty hard with very little provocation. He's a lot better about that now. He's at a point now where he seems to understand the concept of a warning nip, but personally I find it very hilarious when he's screaming in fury and reaches over to very gently take my finger in his beak as a sign of his displeasure. He's extremely careful about it, most of the time.

He has, however, been having a bad day and spent a good chunk of it trying to pull Sera's feathers, and then screaming when Sera tries to get away. That's okay, my boy, I'm sorry you're having a bad brain day, I get those too, but please stop bullying your brother. I'm sorry for yelling when I got frustrated with you.

He's a lot calmer now, and at one point came over and had a small conversation with me, which mostly involved a lot of kiss noises on his end.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Yes! I love you Blue! I love you Yellow! I know it's a condition but she looks like such a cute chubby tiny dove.

Love/hate, eh? So I bet they bicker constantly but refuse to be away from one another. That's just budgies, I think.

What's the story here? Did someone find a super nice budgie outside? Whatever the situation, I'm seriously digging that bird. That's a good one right there.

here is Mayo eating a branch

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I think it's been four years since I last checked in. Zoe turns twenty-five years old this year and she's still kickin' like a bird half her age.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Yes! I love you Blue! I love you Yellow! I know it's a condition but she looks like such a cute chubby tiny dove.

Love/hate, eh? So I bet they bicker constantly but refuse to be away from one another. That's just budgies, I think.

What's the story here? Did someone find a super nice budgie outside? Whatever the situation, I'm seriously digging that bird. That's a good one right there.

here is Mayo eating a branch

Blue is basically 24/7 "Mr. I Want To Seduce You lookatmelookatme LOOKATME!!!" to Yellow and she is having none of it, ever.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Official Bizness posted:

I think it's been four years since I last checked in. Zoe turns twenty-five years old this year and she's still kickin' like a bird half her age.

And lookin the part! Good to see everyone, I'm enjoying the roll call :kimchi:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Its been so nice since Trev got his ouch. He hasn't bitten me ONCE.

But...

I feel so bad tho giving him his meds, cos he has to be manhandled a little, but even then, no biting. However, I do feel kind of awful cos we have had to take a step back from his fear of hands. He doesn't mind mine so much...but now he is associating it with the meds :( He gets almond/coconut butter as a treat afterward and he scarfs it down tho. I just hate that he is more wary of my hands from before...we spent so much time getting him used to mine and it is like it is all kinda gone.

He is fine in the kitchen where he gets it till he thinks he is going to be held for meds, then he flies (haha zeppelins?) all over the place, but keeps coming back to my shoulder or my head.

It just makes me a bit sad....I hope we can get back to where we were after the meds are done. To top that off, he and Cricket have to be boarded for a few days at the vet at the end of the meds cos I have to go to a memorial service. So, it's going to be a fun next week. I just hope he will have forgotten the 10 days of meds and remembers that my hands give him good loves :(

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

A clip-in ponytail is hands down the most terrifying thing Ozzy has ever seen. Sera just wants to preen it. Ozzy screams and flies around and sits panting with his wings open.

Because I was combing a hunk of clip-in hair.

I put it on my head and immediately everything is fine again. :derptiel:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ozy has a...complicated relationship with headgear. Mother must wear her glasses but never wear a hat, or she flees in terror. Father's glasses are supposed to appear and disappear, but when the hood rises, we must bite it. Do not bite Father but bite his hood, it is an enemy

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sound on.

https://i.imgur.com/o6v27Ri.mp4

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I love birds so much.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
We doing roll call?

Sinbad's 25, still here in 2020, still wondering A) what I am eating and B) why he isn't getting a cut.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Plant MONSTER. posted:

absolutely no idea, i just love budgies

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://twitter.com/auderdy/status/1213170012560642049

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

god you guys are no help, i came here to ask you to stop me!! :argh:

\
he is so soft i just cannot even

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

I got to play with a bird at the pet store today. I couldn’t take him home, unfortunately :(

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Beelerzebub posted:

I got to play with a bird at the pet store today. I couldn’t take him home, unfortunately :(

a quaker!!!

omg they are some of the CUTEST things out there, all fat and fluffy makes me go squeeeeeee

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

HEY GUNS posted:

You make good posts. Anyone ever tell you that?

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Disco Salmon posted:

a quaker!!!

omg they are some of the CUTEST things out there, all fat and fluffy makes me go squeeeeeee

He was $600:(

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

HEY GUNS posted:

Hell yeah budgies are awesome and hilarious.

Mayo started landing on my head. This has prompted Pesto to start landing on my head too. :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Beelerzebub posted:

He was $600:(

Thats really reasonable, especially if he is already hand tame.

If you connect with a bird to the point they instantly trust you, that is super important. Especially with Quakers, because that breed has a lot of cage/territorial aggression.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

A Quaker is like. My dream parrot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SuperKlaus posted:

You make good posts. Anyone ever tell you that?
thank you! only when they're budgie related