Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

PancakeTransmission posted:

I don't mind it, I think it's nice that it revamps it as compared to just "multiplies enemy HP by 3 and nerfs all materia" like some kind of dumb hard mode mod, but some of the bosses got tiring. They made some bosses have a specific strategy to kill and just mashing attack or using your strongest magic doesn't work which is really annoying. Some of the boss fights also took well over 5 minutes which is where I start to lose interest. I'm not talking "10 minutes of interesting strategy", more like "repeat the same rotation of attacks for 10 minutes straight"

Yeah, same, I started using a trainer after an hour or so because fighting a boss for 20 minutes then dying to a random enemy because there's no way to save is a waste of time I don't need.

I'm going to continue playing it because the added content is cool, and will try to not use the trainer all the time, but yeah I don't have time for the random Bullshit it throws at you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

It will turn out to be Wilhelm from Xenosaga, in a surprise Square/Namco crossover twist.

This would be an awesome thing.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Regarding the New Threat Mod - question for anyone who found all the new secret bosses:

The only one I found was One Winged Cait Sith who stomped my rear end into the dirt.

What ends up happening with the spooky Monster guy who gives you class level ups? I made it to the Northern Crater and hit a brick wall in difficulty and quit there. do you end up fighting him?

I did enjoy what I played quite a bit but yeah certain parts where a little overtuned. I had to fight the end of disc 1 Jenova form about 10 times before I got it.

All the new content was cool

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Turns out I got gifted FF7 on Steam who knows when :iiam:
I might give that new threat mod a try too.
e: alright my PS3 controller's mapping is really hosed, game doesn't detect dpad/L+R buttons. Should I just switch to keyboard or is there a good solution to this?

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 5, 2020

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I should replay New Threat, last time I did the thing I do with all JRPGs where I played all the way up to the end and lost steam. it took me like half a year to beat Persona 5 after getting to the boat dungeon

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

NikkolasKing posted:

This would be an awesome thing.

All phenomena are moving forward as specified by this Compass of Order.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Big Bizness posted:

Regarding the New Threat Mod - question for anyone who found all the new secret bosses:

The only one I found was One Winged Cait Sith who stomped my rear end into the dirt.

What ends up happening with the spooky Monster guy who gives you class level ups? I made it to the Northern Crater and hit a brick wall in difficulty and quit there. do you end up fighting him?

I did enjoy what I played quite a bit but yeah certain parts where a little overtuned. I had to fight the end of disc 1 Jenova form about 10 times before I got it.

All the new content was cool

I never found anything extra with that guy, but I did notice that whenever I checked everyone's points, there was a ??? at the bottom. Maybe there's a secret character you have to use him to unlock? I couldn't find anything related to it in any of the documentation, but it was all super out of date anyway when I played it last month.

I also found that the bonus bosses were overtuned, but my solution to that was to use a character with enormous amounts of Vitality (Barret) or Spirit (Cait Sith), and just let them be in charge of reviving/healing every two rounds. Just making sure to pick the appropriate one, which you can normally guess pretty easily. Barret had Vitality maxed out so physical damage that would do 2-4k damage to Cloud would only hit Barret for double digits. After that it became a case of just whittlin' away until inevitable victory. My fight against FF8 Omega Weapon took like 45 minutes. It was annoying, but I think I'd prefer just stacking big numbers/immunities over weird gimmicky guesswork bullshit.

Eraflure posted:

Turns out I got gifted FF7 on Steam who knows when :iiam:
I might give that new threat mod a try too.
e: alright my PS3 controller's mapping is really hosed, game doesn't detect dpad/L+R buttons. Should I just switch to keyboard or is there a good solution to this?

I set buttons to L3/R3 instead of the triggers.
I think it's more irritating that you can't use the dpad. Still haven't found a reliable way to get around that.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

rideable chocobos confirmed

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
She wants to ride that chocobo

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Terper posted:

Could just be Cloud’s head there :heysexy:

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Thread is way too horny

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

E2M2 posted:

Thread is way too horny

FF7 is easily the horniest FF so it's on brand

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

HD DAD posted:

My immediate thought

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Terper posted:

That's Prompto

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Honestly I support any Cloud x Jessie additions to the story. Clearly the most adorable pairing. Tifa and Aerith who?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Sorry, my heart already belongs to Wedge

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Cloud x Barrett is the hardest support to get, and thus the most rewarding.

Therefor it is the only canon I’ll accept

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Cloud x Rufus for that real tsundere ship

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The dialogue leaks for the Shinra staircase climb, while removing Tifa’s “retard” comment, are still really funny. EG:

Cloud: Shut up and move.
Tifa: Still not there yet.
Barret: Almost... Real close now!
Cloud: Sure about that?
Barret: It's called...bein' an optimist!
Barret: This sucks! I wanna go back!
Tifa: You want to go down all those stairs you just climbed?

They’re really nailing the characterizations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

HD DAD posted:

Honestly I support any Cloud x Jessie additions to the story. Clearly the most adorable pairing. Tifa and Aerith who?

TIfa x Aerith, obviously.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HD DAD posted:

The dialogue leaks for the Shinra staircase climb, while removing Tifa’s “retard” comment, are still really funny. EG:

Cloud: Shut up and move.
Tifa: Still not there yet.
Barret: Almost... Real close now!
Cloud: Sure about that?
Barret: It's called...bein' an optimist!
Barret: This sucks! I wanna go back!
Tifa: You want to go down all those stairs you just climbed?

They’re really nailing the characterizations.

"Get Help" to Barret's monologue about hearing voices has been the highlight of this unreleased game for me so far.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Depending on what wax cloud uses, he could be a dickhead.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Maybe a huge dickhead.

Multiple dickheads.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sometimes, I love the internet. The theory I'm starting to see is that we'll get the demo on 2/7/20, because (F)riday, (F)ebruary (7).

At least this theory seems plausible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That honestly seems totally plausible but I think Valentine's Day is more likely

Or it'll just drop tomorrow apropos of nothing :supaburn:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The demo was in our hearts all along

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

HD DAD posted:

The demo was in our hearts all along

Boy have I got some bad news for you...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

We were talking earlier about how underrated Jenova Absolute is.

This is the single most underappreciated song in all of FFVII
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oPqxoGzorI

The other songs being overlooked is kinda understandable, you can kill Jenova SYNTHESIS in no time and with zero effort.But this is absolutely 100% in the top 10 best songs in all of FFVII. It plays at one of the most critical points in the game, a part that is truly unforgettable in how raw and genuine it is. FFVII gets mocked by some as "anime" or whatever but it had several points of pure genius and this was one of them. Finding Cloud in such a sorry state, seeing Tifa break down at the sight of her beloved being "alive" but only in the most pitiful way you can define that term, is powerful stuff. And this song - this song so exquisitely captures all the painful emotions of this unforgettable moment. Listening to it all these years later still makes me think of Cloud as a brain-destroyed vegetable unable to even hold his head up.

I wonder how the remake will handle it in Part 4 in 2030.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Honestly, being completely serious, if they are actually able to preserve the atmosphere and feeling of that time spent finding and piecing together Cloud's fractured psyche it will be unironically one of the best points in modern video games if they ever even make it to that game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I hope the Dementors won't be involved in that sequence, though I wouldn't be surprised if Aerith got shoehorned in there.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Gologle posted:

Honestly, being completely serious, if they are actually able to preserve the atmosphere and feeling of that time spent finding and piecing together Cloud's fractured psyche it will be unironically one of the best points in modern video games if they ever even make it to that game.

Who are you and what did you do to Gologle?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Reading this thread it has been made obvious to me that most of the story in the original game went completely over my head.

I kind of want to replay it, does the Switch version have the option to speed up the battles and summons cutscenes? Because I can't be doing with the default lengths of those in this day and age. Knights of the round :lol:

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I’ve been replaying FF7 on iOS to reacquaint myself with it (since I haven’t actually played through it since release) and it is SHOCKING to me how much of it went over my head as a kid. It’s much, much better than I had remembered.

The iOS port is just awful but, man, I’m having a great time and I feel like I’ll be 10x more appreciative of the new version having done this. I’d highly recommend that anyone who hasn’t played FF7 in a long time do the same. You have time before the release of the remake and I’m getting a lot out it.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Cactus posted:

Reading this thread it has been made obvious to me that most of the story in the original game went completely over my head.

I kind of want to replay it, does the Switch version have the option to speed up the battles and summons cutscenes? Because I can't be doing with the default lengths of those in this day and age. Knights of the round :lol:

Yeah it has the 3x speed option along with no encounters and autofill hp and limit bars each turn mode.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cactus posted:

Knights of the round :lol:

Well, on the plus side, that's an optional materia that isn't unlocked until the end of the game. :v:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Well, on the plus side, that's an optional materia that isn't unlocked until the end of the game. :v:

Not really optional, considering you could only get the secret ending where they resurrect Aerith if you kill Sephiroth with it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Yeah it has the 3x speed option along with no encounters and autofill hp and limit bars each turn mode.

Alright I'm sold. Buying now will play on my lunchbreak.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

We were talking earlier about how underrated Jenova Absolute is.

This is the single most underappreciated song in all of FFVII
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oPqxoGzorI

The other songs being overlooked is kinda understandable, you can kill Jenova SYNTHESIS in no time and with zero effort.But this is absolutely 100% in the top 10 best songs in all of FFVII. It plays at one of the most critical points in the game, a part that is truly unforgettable in how raw and genuine it is. FFVII gets mocked by some as "anime" or whatever but it had several points of pure genius and this was one of them. Finding Cloud in such a sorry state, seeing Tifa break down at the sight of her beloved being "alive" but only in the most pitiful way you can define that term, is powerful stuff. And this song - this song so exquisitely captures all the painful emotions of this unforgettable moment. Listening to it all these years later still makes me think of Cloud as a brain-destroyed vegetable unable to even hold his head up.

I wonder how the remake will handle it in Part 4 in 2030.

I myself am a huge fan of Underneath the Rotting Pizza. It's so good.

Cactus posted:

Alright I'm sold. Buying now will play on my lunchbreak.

Take your time to talk to the NPCs, especially in Midgar. The level of world building in FF7 is crazy.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I hope the Dementors won't be involved in that sequence, though I wouldn't be surprised if Aerith got shoehorned in there.

The Ultimania book claimed that when Cloud and Tifa plunge into the Lifestream, Aeris steps in to create the dream-like location where Cloud's fractured memories can finally be pieced back together. As for whether she had a hand in Cloud's salvation in the actual game, your guess is as good as mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want that part to be a walking simulator and have an entire chapter dedicated to it called Lifestream is Strange