Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cleretic posted:

This actually didn't occur to me, but now that you mention it, I like it. This Doctor is someone who actually can outright admit that she doesn't know something, rather than bullshitting with what little they do know. It's ultimately a difference of degrees, Thirteen still knows about as much and is just less willing to jump to conclusions, but it shows a humility that most Doctors just don't have.

Thinking of a couple of examples of the Doctor not knowing stuff: Tennant in The Satan Pit - "before the Universe? I'd accept outside, around, but before?" gives us a great insight into the Doctor's vast knowledge, his arrogance, and also how much of a big scary deal the devil is. Or Eccleston working through the possibilities of the farting aliens - it's a fun little moment, and gives us an insight into his thought processes.

With Whittaker she just stands around shouting "i don't understand" and then magics an answer off-screen. So I guess it's the lack of chewy problem solving that's part of why it rubs me the wrong way so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Moffat’s problem was that he kept going back to the exact same wells time and time again and each revisit was shittier than the last.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I remember Sacha Dhawan in post-apocalyptic series The Last Train, which also had Nicola Walker/Liv Chenka.

It occurs to me that in both this story and the last, they mention UNIT being defunct. By dint of calling attention to this, it means these would otherwise have been UNIT stories.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I remember Sacha Dhawan in post-apocalyptic series The Last Train, which also had Nicola Walker/Liv Chenka.

It occurs to me that in both this story and the last, they mention UNIT being defunct. By dint of calling attention to this, it means these would otherwise have been UNIT stories.

Well on the one hand I want UNIT, on the other hand modern UNIT is kind of poo poo. Especially Kate "my father" Stewart.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Moffat’s problem was that he kept going back to the exact same wells time and time again and each revisit was shittier than the last.

His first and last series were really good!

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Really, all it takes for Chibnall or the next showrunner to bring UNIT back is a brief "UNIT got re-instated yay!" line and the status quo is restored. They'll be back at whatever point it's narratively useful to have them around.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

marktheando posted:

Well on the one hand I want UNIT, on the other hand modern UNIT is kind of poo poo. Especially Kate "my father" Stewart.

Either make new UNIT characters, or don't mention UNIT at all. By calling attention to them, you're providing the very elephant for the room. There's tons of Earth-based stories where they're not mentioned or needed or anything.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The_Doctor posted:

I think it means that they're going to do something with it. I'm not sure what--maybe setting up a status quo where the Doctor really does have no major groups to rely on and really does just have to deal with a full-scale invasion by herself. Possibly a new organization they can set up as a new anti-alien force with some kind of new direction (maybe just SUPER shady, like Torchwood was implied to be early on). Or it could just be setting up for an 'I'M NOT DEAD BITCH' moment later in the season.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Jerusalem posted:

From memory there were at least a couple of scenes where the Doctor mentioned how she'd never met O but had read up on his file and knew lots of details about him, though I can't remember specifics at the moment and maybe I just filled in that gap in my own head.

I just watched it now and the first time they convene in the TARDIS after MI6, she says she's met O once before: "I say 'old mate', I've met him once, but he seemed very nice. We text, though, does that count?"

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 4, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The idea of the Doctor and Master texting each other is great. Also, the Doctor is using a RAZR. :3:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It's a shame that you can't really date recent Who episodes by the mobile phones used.

The Nokia 3200 that Rose had was iconic.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What an apropos of nothing post

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

2house2fly posted:

What an apropos of nothing post

Whoops, that’s on me. The Couch Chat thread was talking about Moffat and I never realized until now that I posted that in the wrong thread.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
A lot of this episode felt like RTD was back with a vengeance. Dumb, killer satnav, all governments of the world asking for the Doctor etc. Can't say I enjoyed that stuff.

But drat if that Master reveal didn't have me back on board.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

What a bizarre coincidence* that just after my first exposure to Sacha Dhawan being him turning out the be the ever-loving Master of all people, he turns up in Dracula, which we just binge watched.

*Not a coincidence, really, it's a Gatiss-Moffat joint, and the Beeb recycles actors like I recycle beer cans.

He's really good in that, too, btw.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

How is Dracula? More like Sherlock season 1 or more like Sherlock season 4?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

Search your feelings, you already know the answer.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Did the Master mention i he was the 'latest' iteration or one before the last master (cause he killed himself right?)? I'm confused about this Masters place in the timeline.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Master has been permanently killed like, 11 times already.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Jerusalem posted:

I can't put it in those terms because I've only seen the first season of Sherlock, but...

If you've got wicked insomnia like I do, you could do worse than binge the whole thing until 6am. I've also read the original novel, and have a soft spot for the 1992 film (Gary Oldman can do no wrong, imo), so it was an interesting take on the subject. The ending saw a bit of me actually gasping, because I did not see that coming.

I'm no expert on tv/film reviews so I don't know how to convey my opinions without revealing too much, but my bottom line is: yeah it's cool and worth a few hours of your time.

Also: we started watching with an 8 year old in the room. It is is absolutely not appropriate for children, just putting that out. Not the gore, but a nun specifically asking "did you have sexual intercourse with X" was not a question Auntie JD wanted to answer if the kiddo asked what that meant. That's when my husband and I I said "WELP GOING TO BED NOW, GOODNIGHT"

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 5, 2020

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Lampsacus posted:

Did the Master mention i he was the 'latest' iteration or one before the last master (cause he killed himself right?)? I'm confused about this Masters place in the timeline.

No specific indication, but he's only had 5 minutes of screentime so far. Confused is how we're supposed to be feeling.

My working assumption is that he's the iteration after Missy and survived through *mumbles*, but there's plenty of speculation that he could actually be in between Simm and Gomez. His line about the flying house being "a bit Wicked Witch of the West" could be taken either as him making a deliberate callback to Missy or ironic foreshadowing of his future.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Turns out he's before Missy.... WAY before, he's actually the post-Delgado Master!
Big Finish begins furiously rewriting all their charts

Thanks, I'll check it out and hope for the best!

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I hope the explanation is that Missy turned into a CGI snake.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I've only managed to catch the first ep of Dracula so far, but I can certainly see Moffat in the writing, for better and for worse. There are some good twists at the end, some based on what the viewer expects from Dracula, and seemingly also based on what the viewer expects from Moffat(there's a bit that very much seems to anticipate the viewer saying "this is done by the writer of Doctor Who so I know how this will go") but also there are some quite effective horror scenes kind of undercut by quippish dialogue, and the pacing went a bit mad towards the end. I thought we were about to hit "end of episode 1" maybe 20 minutes before we actually did. I enjoyed it though, and I'm looking forward to getting an hour and a half free to watch the next one :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Time for an hour of the Master chewing the scenery :hellyeah:

Edit: How to land a plane without a cockpit

See, this is why you always read the card in the front pocket!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 5, 2020

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If this is this doctors first "Remind me to time travel back to before this happened and set up the solution when we are done", its a doozy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Graham yelling at a recording telling him please not to talk to a recording :allears:

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Was big dad energy and it was great. Also like the shot of the Master's TARDIS still in house-mode in the time vortex.

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 5, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Love the dude just casually following the Doctor around listening to her mad story.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

"When I arrange your death I expect you to stay dead". Master is a massive hypocrite...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is that Charles Babb.... oh it is!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I suspected when they had her being "Ada", but yep, ada lovelace which is nice.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'd say ending up in Paris 1943 instead of London 2019 meant the Kahsavin resisted her attempts to control them, but it's probably just the Doctor's usual level of control over time travel :allears:

Edit: DANCE GRAHAM DANCE!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

"this is the future? A world on fire?" possibly has more resonance now that it does when they wrote it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Noor Inayat Khan in 1943 :ohdear:

Edit: Contact! When was the last time they used that? 3rd Doctor?

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 5, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Are we being replaced?" :lol:

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

SiKboy posted:

If this is this doctors first "Remind me to time travel back to before this happened and set up the solution when we are done", its a doozy.

Welp!

Edit: Double Welp! They're going straight for the hits this season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved absolutely everything about that episode EXCEPT for the Gallifrey/Timeless Child stuff. I thought we were done with all that bullshit, at least for a little while.

Episode itself was loving great though.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Yeah "The Timeless Child" thing will 100% turn out to be a wet fart. Not eveything needs to be the grand mutli-reality chess plan and saving the whole universe

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, I really enjoyed that as a two parter, love the new master, am looking forward to him turning up again with no explaination as to how he got back to our universe. But I am EXTREMELY leery of them exploring any "origins of the time lords" stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I mean, best case scenario is that everybody on Gallifrey up and left to a new planet since the old one had.... branding issues.... and the Master found it empty and kicked up a big tantrum and blew up an empty city then tried to talk himself up afterwards.

Also did I miss it or did Barton get away? I know his public performance means his company is probably dead in the water, but the last I saw of him he was rushing out the door calling for an extraction team and I don't think there was anything else with him after that? I thought Lenny Henry was great in the role and I wouldn't mind seeing him back again at some point.