Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

eke out posted:

you can recognize that there's an obvious reason that Iran and the DPRK are being incentivized to pursue nuclear weapons (namely, we elected Trump who shattered the historic deal we made, and, more broadly, constant changes in presidential administrations make us an incredibly unreliable partner, since Bush did the same thing with the DPRK) without taking the next step to "wow if only Saddam had nukes too we'd be at peace, actually nukes are good now"

Not talking about Saddam, who actually did some aggressive and stupid things over the years.

I think there is a case to be made that everything Iran has done over the last 40 years has been a justified response to American aggression, and that aggression will stop the second they get a working nuke and medium range delivery system.

Nuke proliferation is still a bad thing, and it would be better for the world if Iran didn't have them, I just hate our media going on about how evil and crazy they are. Of course they want nukes. Its entirety logical and in their self defense interests.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

oxsnard posted:

Yeah, sorry, that post was meant to be tongue in cheek but upon rereading it comes off as literal. I don't wish anyone new to have nukes, but there's sone appeal to the notion that we can stop loving around in the middle east once we have a valid threat to our lovely imperialism

Yes as soon as Iran unveils a nuclear weapons we’re going to throw up our hands and go “welp game over pack it in!” and not instead substantially ratchet up tensions to face a new perceived threat.

Come on guys. Just because the USSR and that US didn’t nuke each other means doesn’t mean nuclear weapons are a cheat code to step aside from conflict.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Celexi posted:

And most Americans and American Media will be okay with this and hail as a win. It really makes for bad relations when you can get murdered when trying to negotiate peace with an US ally or client.

American support for assassinating foreign military officials is going to end up exactly at Trump's approval rating like everything else in this nation.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Celexi posted:

I am still trying to process this because this is all too hosed up, Iran goes to Iraq to talk with sunnis or KSA, the US promptly bombs and murders the delegation, this is beyond hosed up.
And most Americans and American Media will be okay with this and hail as a win. It really makes for bad relations when you can get murdered when trying to negotiate peace with an US ally or client.

Do we actually know the reason for Soleimani's visit? I may have missed some news

exquisite tea posted:

American support for assassinating foreign military officials is going to end up exactly at Trump's approval rating like everything else in this nation.

Support for "eating rear end" at 62-38, tracking Trump's approval perfectly.

e: 69-31

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 5, 2020

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Yes as soon as Iran unveils a nuclear weapons we’re going to throw up our hands and go “welp game over pack it in!” and not instead substantially ratchet up tensions to face a new perceived threat.

Come on guys. Just because the USSR and that US didn’t nuke each other means doesn’t mean nuclear weapons are a cheat code to step aside from conflict.

Its exactly what it means...It is a cheat code that bypasses direct conflict and results in proxies of non-nuclear allies fighting each other.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

Do we actually know the reason for Soleimani's visit? I may have missed some news

https://twitter.com/janearraf/status/1213823941321592834

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Remember the Pakistani guy who sold Iran the nuclear secrets, and then the US said it was fine not to prosecute him as he was rich/powerful.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

pkay posted:

Its exactly what it means...It is a cheat code that bypasses direct conflict and results in proxies of non-nuclear allies fighting each other.

Did you really post this?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sheeeeeeeeeeit

thanks tho

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Like we did with North Korea? Hmm I wonder why we always handle them with kids gloves.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

we're not even a week into 2020 yet and it's already bad enough that we can actually use the legal definition of perfidy in conversation

(because that's what the thing we/the saudis did here is)

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Like we did with North Korea? Hmm I wonder why we always handle them with kids gloves.

I mean, the logistics of millions of starving Koreans might also have something to do with it.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I have never seen a convincing argument why the United States, Israel, or whoever deserves to have nuclear weapons, while North Korea, Iran, etc., do not. It always seems to boil down to "we're the good guys and they're the bad guys", and like, who's fought more wars, invaded more countries, committed more atrocities, Iran or the US?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Because China and Russia.
N.Korea is protected by being beside China and Russia, neither want the US beside them.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
The stupidest loving part of this is that I can totally see Trump knowing that Soleimani was there to mediate, getting told by the military that Soleimani was in their sights, and then deciding it was okay to order the strike because he honestly didn't connect the first thing with the second.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

The reverse is also true: once Ukraine reaffirmed its agreement to denuclearize, it became Russia's playground. Nukes are terrible and the world would be better off without them, but in the reality we're stuck with, they're an incredible chip to buy-in on the world stage. They're the only reason anyone pays any attention to Pakistan, for example. The thing with India/Pakistan is terrible for the stability of the world, but it's great for their individual clout with other nations. It sucks, but I don't see how you can claim otherwise.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Theoretically, we have controls in place to prevent an insane person from mashing a giant red "LAUNCH NUKES" button

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

So Trump convinced Iraq to invite Soleimani over to ease tensions, and then assassinated him when he arrived. That is literally a war crime.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Deserves' got nothing to do with it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Pussy Boss posted:

I have never seen a convincing argument why the United States, Israel, or whoever deserves to have nuclear weapons, while North Korea, Iran, etc., do not. It always seems to boil down to "we're the good guys and they're the bad guys", and like, who's fought more wars, invaded more countries, committed more atrocities, Iran or the US?

Almost every statement made in life that revolves around the word "deserves" can be refuted with "says who?"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The stupidest loving part of this is that I can totally see Trump knowing that Soleimani was there to mediate, getting told by the military that Soleimani was in their sights, and then deciding it was okay to order the strike because he honestly didn't connect the first thing with the second.

He once threw a tantrum because Hugh Hewitt (who hilariously enough has since torched his reputation by becoming a Trump sycophant) brought up Soleimani and others in a radio interview and Trump called them "gotcha" questions when everyone mocked him for obviously not knowing who any of them were.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zophar posted:

So Trump convinced Iraq to invite Soleimani over to ease tensions, and then assassinated him when he arrived. That is literally a war crime.
Only if a country other than the US does it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

The Pussy Boss posted:

If the question is who should have nukes, the answer is nobody, and certainly not the rogue states which have them now.

If the question is who would want to have nukes, the answer is everybody in a conflict zone without very good nuclear allies because otherwise you just get pushed around by those who do.

If the question is who deserves to have nukes, the answer varies but it's definitely not the rogue nation which has already used them twice to kill people while also waging untold amounts of war because of money and religious zealotry.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

oxsnard posted:

Theoretically, we have controls in place to prevent an insane person from mashing a giant red "LAUNCH NUKES" button

Not if that person is the president we don’t.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

The argument isn’t that the US deserves to have nuclear weapons, it’s that nuclear weapons are bad and it’s better that there are as few countries that have them as possible - both because they’re objectively bad and it will make it easier to promote nuclear disarmament for the countries that have them.

The horse has already escaped the barn, but the solution isn’t to open up all the other stalls and go “might as well let everyone go free!”

There are also inherent benefits of the countries having nukes to be well established with a stable political and military infrastructure and funding to support upkeep in terms of keeping nuclear weapons under control (again because we can’t magic wand these weapons away)

mystes
May 31, 2006

The horse has already escaped the barn, but the solution isn’t to open up all the other stalls and go “might as well let everyone go free!”
Uh oh, guess we'd better nuke the barn

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

Not if that person is the president we don’t.

I don't think Trump could launch a nuke if he wanted to

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Again, why do you think the hypothetical response to a newly nuclear Iran would be “let’s withdraw“l vs “let’s attack them now because they only have a few nukes and no delivery system to get them to the US”

Russia and the US developed weapons and capabilities in close lockstep and we still almost preemptively attacked them

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

oxsnard posted:

I legit hope Iran gets a nuke, and this is coming from someone who was all in on the war in 2003. It makes me feel weird even though I know my past self was a rear end in a top hat

I’m the reverse in that I was always against Iraq but see the need for war with Iran. I think it mostly comes down to Hussein being something we installed who was also generally fine being limited to tyranny in his own backyard. Yeah, he’s terrible, but he isn’t threatening a guy next door the way NK does to the South or the way Iran does sponsoring paramilitaries across borders.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

I think there is a case to be made that everything Iran has done over the last 40 years has been a justified response to American aggression, and that aggression will stop the second they get a working nuke and medium range delivery system.

No there isn't, since much of it involved murdering civilians I'm the region.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Nobody has been arguing for that, though. Even among the people who are saying "yeah, Iran probably ought to get armed," the context is that the country would be demonstrably safer from interference from outsiders. Not that it would be a net positive for the world -- because it certainly wouldn't be.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

oxsnard posted:

Well you keep latching onto that belief if it helps you sleep.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Again, why do you think the hypothetical response to a newly nuclear Iran would be “let’s either see” vs “let’s attack them now because they only have a few nukes and no delivery system to get them to the US”

Because every allied country within range would rightly see this as the US risking that country's population in order to pursue their own goals, doing more damage to the US than a single low quality nuke could ever do

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

Well you keep latching onto that belief if it helps you sleep.

I have no other choice but to do so :ohdear:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, he’s terrible, but he isn’t threatening a guy next door the way NK does to the South or the way Iran does sponsoring paramilitaries across borders.

We're allied with Saudi Arabia you idiot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Again, why do you think the hypothetical response to a newly nuclear Iran would be “let’s withdraw“l vs “let’s attack them now because they only have a few nukes and no delivery system to get them to the US”

Russia and the US developed weapons and capabilities in close lockstep and we still almost preemptively attacked them

Its this. Iran wants nuclear weapons largely for geopolitical and diplomatic reasons.

MAD doesnt suddenly not work when they acquire one, dont Clancy this up.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Zophar posted:

And from Iraq's perspective they just got double crossed. Sure looks like we never actually wanted them to negotiate but instead lied to get Soleimani in a position where we could assassinate him.

mystes
May 31, 2006

oxsnard posted:

Are you sure? The military might refuse to follow the order if it would obviously lead to the US getting wiped out, but that wouldn't be the care with Iran.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Craptacular! posted:

I’m the reverse in that I was always against Iraq but see the need for war with Iran. I think it mostly comes down to Hussein being something we installed who was also generally fine being limited to tyranny in his own backyard. Yeah, he’s terrible, but he isn’t threatening a guy next door the way NK does to the South or the way Iran does sponsoring paramilitaries across borders.

you are a loving moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Ah yes North Korea having nuclear weapons sure seems great!

(You realize one major downside to countries getting nuclear weapons is concerns that those countries lack the command and control structure to safely maintain their arsenal or know where it is?)

Yes the US does bad things but I’d rather the US have nukes than North Korea

Yeah, brown people are too dumb and fanatic to maintain their own nukes or have a command and control structure in place to control them. Only the cultured whites should have nukes, to maintain the balance of peace in the world.