Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
When did super hot demo get released on the quest? I just discovered it today. Pretty neat but I don't think I pay 30 for it.

I wish there were more decent games around 10 to $15 each, but I imagine that's coming in the future as more more games come out on this device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

moolchaba posted:

When did super hot demo get released on the quest? I just discovered it today. Pretty neat but I don't think I pay 30 for it.

I wish there were more decent games around 10 to $15 each, but I imagine that's coming in the future as more more games come out on this device.

SH demo was out on launch day. It's worth the price, they fixed a lot of the throwing physics in the last couple of months; demo is probably running the old physics code.

Quest is the only game in town, that they can command full price for games is a major selling point for developers considering developing for the platform. I don't see them moving towards steam style sales for at least another year

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Hadlock posted:

SH demo was out on launch day.

They released the demo in October according to reddit.

They had a developer demo prior to launch day, but it was only the full game until recently.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

been playin Acron: Attack of the Squirrels! on Quest with my friends and its actually pretty drat enjoyable. the gist is that its an asymmetrical multiplayer game where the player with the Quest is a tree that needs to defend their acorns from the other players that are playing as squirrels on their smartphones. There are a 4 classes for said squirrels ranging from a shield squirrel that protects or a builder squirrel that makes ramps. Its been fun swapping out the headset after a few rounds and watch the other players have a go as the tree.

the biggest drawback that ive seen mentioned is that u need to have at least 2 other human players to start a game; tho there are bots that will fill in if u want more players and the game maxes out at 8 squirrels. Make sure u have some ppl to play with ya drat goons, it can be done over the internet so not everyone needs to be in the same room. its also a great game for introducing other ppl to VR as well since the tree doesnt move which will avoid most motion sickness.

in short, i was very surprised by this game since the trailer for it kinda sucks; give it a shot

*edit* are there any other VR games like this? Having other players on the smartphone is such a neat idea that itd be crazy if this was the only one

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 4, 2020

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

The Walrus posted:

arctica has like eleven Spooky Elevator Rides and they are all terrifying.
Oh Jesus. Are any/many jump scares? I can handle an all-out attack in an elevator but will really struggle if there are gonna be bigass horrific mutants suddenly jumping out and screaming in my face when I teleport to a new location or whatever.

Hopefully it won't make me repeatedly smack my HMD with the controllers, as Wilson's Heart managed to do with a particular number of close up 'surprise' boxing QTEs loving teddy bear :argh:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

StabMasterArson posted:

Dunno about Oculus but the Vive wands let you take screenshots just by pressing menu+trigger, are you sure that isnt whats happening?

Yeah, that is in fact what happens, but only on the left hand controller, so either I have to play on the left controller and shoot every time I want to take a screenshot (which isn't a huge bummer in Pistol Whip but not ideal), or it kinda steals focus away from the right controller every time I take a screenshot because despite being a one controller game, there's no way in Pistol Whip to specify which controller you want to use, it just uses whichever is currently active.

But it turned out that I could easily map the "Take screenshot" function to one of the face buttons and can just mash that with my thumb now.

The game's extremely fun by the way.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Truga posted:

Hey, I don't know what I was thinking earlier, I'm back home now and I remembered a much easier way of doing this. I just don't use windows a lot myself since the win2000 days I guess that's why I keep forgetting but you can use links to achieve the same thing. Links are basically same as shortcuts, but at the filesystem level, rather than application level.

You can type "mklink /d c:\oculus d:\oculus" into command line and it's going to make a symbolic link from c:\oculus to d:\oculus. You might need to start cmd as admin.

Unless oculus software is doing something incredibly dumb (very unlikely) this will work just as well as mounting the drive there, but with less hassle as it's just copy-pasting a single line. Also, you won't accidentally delete the entire D drive when hitting delete on the c:\oculus folder, so you should definitely choose this option :v:

My Oculus is on D:\Oculus , so I typed mklink /d D:\Oculus C:\Oculus and was told cannot create a file when that file already exists...that folder doesn't exist on C:\ :iiam:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Desdinova posted:

My Oculus is on D:\Oculus , so I typed mklink /d D:\Oculus C:\Oculus and was told cannot create a file when that file already exists...that folder doesn't exist on C:\ :iiam:

Swap the drive letters in your command line.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hadlock posted:

SH demo was out on launch day. It's worth the price, they fixed a lot of the throwing physics in the last couple of months; demo is probably running the old physics code.

Ooh, did they fix the throwing code on PC? That is the main thing that turned me off from the game, since it so clearly wants you to throw stuff and it was so terrible when you did.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

pun pundit posted:

Swap the drive letters in your command line.

That made the link, but now the Oculus software is saying I've already added this location when I try to add it. Think I'm probably better off sticking with Steam and missing out on Echo Arena :'(

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Desdinova posted:

That made the link, but now the Oculus software is saying I've already added this location when I try to add it. Think I'm probably better off sticking with Steam and missing out on Echo Arena :'(

let oculus create that folder, close the software, then move it to d:\oculus and do the mklink thing

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

been playin Acron: Attack of the Squirrels! on Quest with my friends and its actually pretty drat enjoyable. the gist is that its an asymmetrical multiplayer game where the player with the Quest is a tree that needs to defend their acorns from the other players that are playing as squirrels on their smartphones. There are a 4 classes for said squirrels ranging from a shield squirrel that protects or a builder squirrel that makes ramps. Its been fun swapping out the headset after a few rounds and watch the other players have a go as the tree.

the biggest drawback that ive seen mentioned is that u need to have at least 2 other human players to start a game; tho there are bots that will fill in if u want more players and the game maxes out at 8 squirrels. Make sure u have some ppl to play with ya drat goons, it can be done over the internet so not everyone needs to be in the same room. its also a great game for introducing other ppl to VR as well since the tree doesnt move which will avoid most motion sickness.

in short, i was very surprised by this game since the trailer for it kinda sucks; give it a shot

*edit* are there any other VR games like this? Having other players on the smartphone is such a neat idea that itd be crazy if this was the only one

The other one I know of is Puppet Fever, which is free so worth checking out! Good to hear that this one is good, I was hesitant to throw dollars at it but maybe I will now.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Having gotten off the Facebooks many years ago, I simply created a dummy gmail account and then dummy Facebook account. If I could figure out how to friend Tom from MySpace, I'd have the one friend... Pairs well with my fake MSDN and nVidia accounts.

As for shooting, I thought it was both eyes open when aiming. Close both when pulling the trigger?

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Truga posted:

let oculus create that folder, close the software, then move it to d:\oculus and do the mklink thing

Well, I deleted the app, reinstalled, and it still decided that the library was on D:\Oculus as the unchangeable default. For some reason, with Oculus installed on C:\ it is now letting me install games to D:\Oculus . Beats me, but I ain't gonna moan. Now to get all sweaty with a boxer.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Another one is takelings house party but it’s not quest native.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone have advice for good headphones to use alongside the Quest? My core headphones are some audiotechnica ones that just have gigantic cables.

Like are there good fidelity headphones that also have a cable jack that's ~1 foot, heh.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Oculus installer is super terrible not letting you choose a path. It also doesn't check min requirements so for a while I couldn't run the software cause I had to update to windows 10. Anyway, next time it comes up it's much easier to just:
Press the Windows key > + R to open the Run command.
Enter the following path: [drive]:\Users\USERNAME\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe /drive=[new system drive] - Replace [drive] with the letter of the drive where Oculus was downloaded to.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Darkrenown posted:

Oculus installer is super terrible not letting you choose a path. It also doesn't check min requirements so for a while I couldn't run the software cause I had to update to windows 10. Anyway, next time it comes up it's much easier to just:
Press the Windows key > + R to open the Run command.
Enter the following path: [drive]:\Users\USERNAME\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe /drive=[new system drive] - Replace [drive] with the letter of the drive where Oculus was downloaded to.

...fuckn!

Leave my friend alone!

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Chin Strap posted:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264273847010

Quest would poo poo itself with my mesh router so I got this as a standalone just for the 5ghz band. Works great for that price.

But I personally prefer the link to ALVR/Virtual Desktop. Cable sucks but performance is noticeably better.

I read something about a Side Quest hack that can force your Quest to use 5ghz only, as it often seems to drop / lose authentication on a mesh setup.

Though like you I've been thinking about setting up an old router for a dedicated ALVR setup, as the area of my house ideal for VR has spotty wifi.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Isometric Bacon posted:

I read something about a Side Quest hack that can force your Quest to use 5ghz only, as it often seems to drop / lose authentication on a mesh setup.

Though like you I've been thinking about setting up an old router for a dedicated ALVR setup, as the area of my house ideal for VR has spotty wifi.

My 5ghz wifi has a different name than my 2.4ghz wifi (both from my single router), and the Quest only knows the password for the 5ghz one. So no problem for me!

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
Is there a VR equivalent to VLC for watching something in a personal theatre? Steam's option seems to be only for films downloaded via Steam, which doesn't help the files I already have.

Also, echoing whoever said that Thrill of the Fight is good cardio, man am I sweating after two rounds and wanting a towel.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Desdinova posted:

Is there a VR equivalent to VLC for watching something in a personal theatre? Steam's option seems to be only for films downloaded via Steam, which doesn't help the files I already have.

Also, echoing whoever said that Thrill of the Fight is good cardio, man am I sweating after two rounds and wanting a towel.

Skybox

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Desdinova posted:

Bigscreen

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Desdinova posted:

Just load up Bigscreen or Virtual Desktop and use whatever video player you got

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Desdinova posted:

Steam media player will play anything off your drives, and even plays 3D movies.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Skybox is great for personal viewing.
Big screen for social is amazing.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I like DeoVR the best so far.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Steam media player will play anything off your drives, and even plays 3D movies.

Unless it's .mkv, .m4v, .avi, or any number of other formats it doesn't recognize.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

So if my play space is 8' by 8' and I set it to +20%, then the game will render the world to look like I'm actually working within a roughly 9'7" by 9'7" space, and if I step 2 feet IRL, I'll move about 2'5" in the game world. It's a neat way to make your space feel larger than it is, and in my experience, using a smallish multiplier did not give me any motion sickness or make it feel super obvious that the game was "boosting" my movements. You can set the scaling to as high as +100% (i.e. double the perceived size of your play space), though setting a high multiplier might gently caress with you, as it will be easier to perceive that you're moving "faster" in the game than you are IRL. And even if you don't consciously perceive it, your brain still may not like it.

I am impressed by how well this worked for me. I cranked the scaling to 100% and it only took my brain 5 minutes to acclimate, to the point where movement felt unnaturally sluggish after I removed the headset.

I hope more games start experimenting with this kind of locomotion because this pretty much solves VR movement for anyone with a non-trivial playspace.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

SimonChris posted:

I am impressed by how well this worked for me. I cranked the scaling to 100% and it only took my brain 5 minutes to acclimate, to the point where movement felt unnaturally sluggish after I removed the headset.

I hope more games start experimenting with this kind of locomotion because this pretty much solves VR movement for anyone with a non-trivial playspace.

I tried out tea for god for the first time yesterday on my quest. I need to remember to disable my guardian because that would pop up all the time and ruin the immersion.

I did get a little queasy after about 15 minutes of play, are there settings that I need to mess with for graphics quality to make it run smoother on the quest?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tea for God isn't super optimised yet, the way portals are drawn causes a lot of overdraw.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Do you have to sideload an APK or something to have Tea for God run on a Quest? It wasn't on the store last I checked.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

That Italian Guy posted:

Do you have to sideload an APK or something to have Tea for God run on a Quest? It wasn't on the store last I checked.

It's on Sidequest. They also have the APK by itself if you want to download that (https://void-room.itch.io/tea-for-god).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Yeah, the devlogs talk about Quest performance. The dev is still optimizing stuff. It's a ways off from a proper release. For now, there's a new update every 2 week or so.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I got the other two eps of Vader Immortal as a Quest bonus and I can definitely tell the difference and compromises made, as good as it looks for running on a mobile phone chip. I wish that it had cross-library play.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

I got the other two eps of Vader Immortal as a Quest bonus and I can definitely tell the difference and compromises made, as good as it looks for running on a mobile phone chip. I wish that it had cross-library play.

Cross-library play? But if they purely single player.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Turin Turambar posted:

Cross-library play? But if they purely single player.

I used the wrong phrase. Like having them in your library letting you play them on either Oculus platform.

E: Oh, wait it is. Complaint rescinded, I just had to restart my Oculus PC client.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 5, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RandomBlue posted:

...fuckn!

Leave my friend alone!

Hahahaha

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

I used the wrong phrase. Like having them in your library letting you play them on either Oculus platform.

E: Oh, wait it is. Complaint rescinded, I just had to restart my Oculus PC client.

Cross buy then. And yeah, it's Cross buy. I think all Oculus funded titles are (the big exception, Beat Saber now that they bought the company).

Me, on the other hand, I'm disappointed with the dojo in Ep 2, they screwed the implementation of the Force, and you can spam it forever. You pull one enemy, kill him, the kill refresh the cooldown of the move, so you repeat again, etc. You can chain 30 enemies like that. And in addition you can't control well the direction of the Force Grab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/13yU5Bh.mp4