Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Once you collect enough political capital, you can exchange it for candy or plastic toys

are the toys a choking hazard give me those ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

Benghazi 3: Benghazier

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKyALEY9UYY

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Homeless Friend posted:

This basically just sounds like imperialism, through existing neoliberal order the US has propagated, rather than colonialism imo. What I'm saying is lets get pedantic :razzy:

i guess the reason i'd call it a flavor of colonialism is that they're actively trying to supplant native populations / businesses / etc. instead of just installing themselves and ruling by force like an imperial power would. in west africa at least the chinese model mirrors the french colonial strategy pretty closely - they bring in their own "overseers" to run stuff and never let any local people acquire the skills / equipment to do it themselves if / when they pull out - while i was over there i actually heard quite a few arguments between people that were colonized by the british vs. the french, and the usual argument was that british colonization was preferable because they were mostly able to retain self sufficiency after the british left, whereas the french took everything with them and basically made their colonial holdings start over from scratch.

in a lot of places it's basically chinese capitalists gentrifying local areas. in liberia and ghana they literally run mandarin lessons on morning tv

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

the paradigm shift posted:

there was definitely cia operatives and a Kennedy involved

The Brits talked Eisenhower into it because :ussr: , with Dulles' cia orchestrating most of it. The US spent $75,000 on literal thugs to whip up a storm and it worked...for a while anyhow. IDK for sure but I imagine Eisenhower realized he got played and that influenced his telling the Brits to get hosed in 56 over the Suez.

Since the 19th century Iranians have often viewed the British as, if not the direct force behind their woes, the puppeteers getting others to gently caress Iran over for them. Though they know full well how antagonistic the US is without anyone leading us on.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

:discourse: but also what about basement pool

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0FUvezngI4

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

:drat:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

huh, so if Bernie is the nominee and runs on ending the conflict with Iran, they'll be even more convinced that he is the antichrist than they were about Obama

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
:yooge: THE MEDIA POSTS WILL CONTINUE, YOU HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Olivianuzzi/status/1213934986350514176?s=20

:coolfish:

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

i guess the reason i'd call it a flavor of colonialism is that they're actively trying to supplant native populations / businesses / etc. instead of just installing themselves and ruling by force like an imperial power would. in west africa at least the chinese model mirrors the french colonial strategy pretty closely - they bring in their own "overseers" to run stuff and never let any local people acquire the skills / equipment to do it themselves if / when they pull out - while i was over there i actually heard quite a few arguments between people that were colonized by the british vs. the french, and the usual argument was that british colonization was preferable because they were mostly able to retain self sufficiency after the british left, whereas the french took everything with them and basically made their colonial holdings start over from scratch.

in a lot of places it's basically chinese capitalists gentrifying local areas. in liberia and ghana they literally run mandarin lessons on morning tv

the french still run the monetary policy of their former colonies through the CFA franc so they never quite left

also the constant military interventions

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

it'd probably be a mixture tbh, the porblem is were in a world where the principles of capitalism are totally dominant in every country on earth. so any country with money can basically do what they want lol. there is no more wild west and everything is muddied basically i guess. the aspect of not leaving any technical expertise is pretty common if u say look at global supply chains & clearly china is offloading internal economic forces through this growth from consumption/transformation of resources outside its borders along with obviously wanting direct influence if it can get it.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/KQED/status/1213936137770688512?s=20

same as it ever was

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

POST MORE YOU FAT RACIST BITCH TUMNBT

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This Donald Terump guy doesn't seem very smart.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1213602362465619970
Frump!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Atrocious Joe posted:

the french still run the monetary policy of their former colonies through the CFA franc so they never quite left

also the constant military interventions

oh absolutely, using "left" very loosely here. arguably the british never left either and they're both still 100% profiting off of their abuses

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMsiGMKHJ8k

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

fits my needs posted:

lmao buncha goons admiring Chinese imperialism in Africa and whining how the US dropped the ball

just to clarify i think what china is doing there is very lovely but it's also funny to laugh at how badly the us hosed up the opportunity to actually build influence there. it is 100% for the best that they did not, though

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/Arkenor/status/1213602593446006786

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MikeBloomberg/status/1213938126470701056?s=20

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
death 2 america

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
time is a dumb circle

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
We all know that the iranian target is going to be a torp owned property rather than something Americans care about

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

just to clarify i think what china is doing there is very lovely but it's also funny to laugh at how badly the us hosed up the opportunity to actually build influence there. it is 100% for the best that they did not, though

very good point. here’s my counter:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYrQC-jWMFM

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

2DCAT posted:

We all know that the iranian target is going to be a torp owned property rather than something Americans care about

inshallah

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fits my needs posted:

very good point. here’s my counter:

Christian heaven

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nonsense posted:

Obama is such a worthless pussy. Completely made to look like a traitor by this administration and he just says loving nothing

when they go low we pokemon go to the polls

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

2DCAT posted:

hell yeah

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

show yourself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/RikerGoogling/status/1213939001922473984