Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

baka kaba posted:

devil's advocate time - is there any proof that Iran is necessarily stepping up its weapons program (which would be understandable tbh) and not just going ahead with building the modern nuclear power infrastructure they've been denied? Like isn't 4.5% purity fairly standard for modern reactors, and still not really even close to where you can start cascading it into the 95% purity you need for weapons?

Like the whole point of the sanctions has been to keep Iran from developing and maybe selling their oil for $$$ instead of burning it for fuel, and they've been forced to be dependent on other countries for what nuclear activity they do run - and they clearly can't rely on the US acting in good faith in any way whatsoever, so is it even weird that they're abandoning this whole agreement and just getting on with it, if only for their own independence and economic security? Because it's absolutely gonna be spun entirely as "evil Iran begins researching THE DOOMSDAY DEVICE"

The required isotope purity for reactor grade uranium is about 97% U-238 and 3% U-235 from naturally occurring Uranium mined out of the ground which is 99.3% U-238. One of the main stays of the Iran Nuclear Deal was to allow them to enrich to 3.67% U-235 for reactor grade uranium to use in their own nuclear power program but prevent them from being able to experiment with refining it to a higher degree (which to get it to weapons grade would be 97% U-235 but the process is just refining the purer U again and again.) Once the US pulled out of the deal they've been declaring whenever they've exceeded the allowed threshold (4.5% U-235 in July 2019 and again in November 2019) but now the breaks are totally off for them to start refining up to weapons grade for their own nukes.

A uranium gun-type nuclear fission device is elementary to build, the difficult bit has always been getting ahold of enough U-235 (conversely for a plutonium bomb you can pick up as much Pu-239 out of the reactor runoff as you want but the hard part about making a Pu device is getting the implosion lenses to all go off simultaneously)

Richard Muller (no relation) has a really good lecture on nukes - ironically the series is titled 'Physics for Future Presidents' and includes really good primer skills that the current occupant will absolutely not have: https://archive.org/details/ucberkeley_webcast_5BHdsjo-NR4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Goon project?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Congrats whatevil

https://twitter.com/DrRobertZands/status/1213922990502612992?s=19

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Can a fatwa have a bounty attached to it?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Chuka Umana posted:

So Jess Phillips is literally Hillary Clinton.
Even right down to people saying that shes the most "electable" candidate lol

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

baka kaba posted:

take that to QCS!!!! the app's nothing to do with the main site I dunno if any of us ever even looked in there

you can turn on Immersive Mode in the Device and Navigation settings and that'll hide the status bar and the nav buttons, and you can turn off the floating post button too (post option will be in the menu). Making the title bar and stuff slide out of the way was a no-go last time we tried it, for reasons, but maybe later if stuff changes. Might be getting light themes maybe!

goondolences on your OLED screen though

Oh neat I just wanted to gripe, I didn't think you'd actually have an answer!

I actually just trashed the burned phone last week cause the glass was smashed too, so it's fine really. I'll turn those options on to save this one though, thanks for the response!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

Yeah, fatwas are just a religious proclamation of a new 'rule'.
Rushdie had a bounty of 2-3 million on his.
There was a fatwa that 'Who wants to be a millionaire' was un-islamic.
But killing a heretic to become one is fine.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
jess phillips is way less competent than clinton

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Doccykins posted:

The required isotope purity for reactor grade uranium is about 97% U-238 and 3% U-235 from naturally occurring Uranium mined out of the ground which is 99.3% U-238. One of the main stays of the Iran Nuclear Deal was to allow them to enrich to 3.67% U-235 for reactor grade uranium to use in their own nuclear power program but prevent them from being able to experiment with refining it to a higher degree (which to get it to weapons grade would be 97% U-235 but the process is just refining the purer U again and again.) Once the US pulled out of the deal they've been declaring whenever they've exceeded the allowed threshold (4.5% U-235 in July 2019 and again in November 2019) but now the breaks are totally off for them to start refining up to weapons grade for their own nukes.

A uranium gun-type nuclear fission device is elementary to build, the difficult bit has always been getting ahold of enough U-235 (conversely for a plutonium bomb you can pick up as much Pu-239 out of the reactor runoff as you want but the hard part about making a Pu device is getting the implosion lenses to all go off simultaneously)

Richard Muller (no relation) has a really good lecture on nukes - ironically the series is titled 'Physics for Future Presidents' and includes really good primer skills that the current occupant will absolutely not have: https://archive.org/details/ucberkeley_webcast_5BHdsjo-NR4

They don't really need a reliable functional nuke because if they ever have to use one it's all over. They just need to make it look like they might have one and "Operation Iran Liberation" will be off the table

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

there is literally nobody on earth that jess phillips could have assassinated

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

if some dickensian impoverished orphan child stuttered the words "i have information leading to the arrest of jess phillips" scrooge himself would appear as an apparition to tell the child where to find some food. The child would live a happy, fulfilled and obscure life - nobody would care

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cerebral Bore posted:

There has never been any real evidence that Iran has ever seriously pursued nuclear weapons, that's just the bullshit pretext for why the US should get to gently caress them over whenever they want to.

Playing devil's advocate, once they have the fuel cycle technology working, the path to a viable nuclear device is extremely short for an even vaguely modern industrial country. The UK managed it in six years, India managed it in about 7 years, Pakistan 5, and Israel (allegedly!) in two.

That's why non-proliferation always focuses on the lower-level fuel enrichment process (and moving countries towards reactor designs not requiring highly-enriched uranium) because once you have access to sufficient HEU you can get enough plutonium for a simple implosion device in a couple of weeks with a load of graphite bricks (massive fire and contamination of surrounding fields hopefully optional).

Obviously this ignores the difficulty of things like getting the actual implosion to work, miniaturising the whole thing to the point it can be actually delivered (which requires a whole other class of reactors to get enough tritium for a boosted-fission device, scotching the favourite doomsday scenario of the suitcase nuke) and all the other problems of nuclear weapons design.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Jess Phillips is what Hillary Clinton would be if she had no money. Having to do her own social media covert ops poo poo because she couldn't afford social media managers.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

jess phillips is most famous for claiming to tell a fellow mp to gently caress off, which did not happen, and for being friends with a time travelling victorian fascist too embarassing to be allowed near tv during an election

Katt posted:

Jess Phillips is what Hillary Clinton would be if she had no money. Having to do her own social media covert ops poo poo because she couldn't afford social media managers.

her dad owned private medical practices shes not poor, shes just completely useless. a true faildaughter

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 5, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Jess Philips is a HR manager that hates it when she has to talk to a Union rep.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

thespaceinvader posted:

Not it just turns out that the one guy was The Master all along and yawn

Dr Who's not been the same since Tom Baker left.

crispix posted:

Don't know, but there's a fatwa saying you can eat sweets and candies unless you have evidence that they're not halal. So bounties should be ok.*

quote:

(Fataawa Manaar al-Islam, 3/647).

On this basis it is permissible to eat them so long as it is not proven that their ingredients include anything that that is known in sharee’ah to be haraam. And Allaah knows best.

*I know what you really meant,

Also just to confirm what happyhippy said, fatwas are just religious rulings and can be about anything. In the public (UK anyway) mind they are 'death sentences'.

Why is it ok for UK, US, France, Israel, Russian, China, India to have nukes but not Iran?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why is it ok for UK, US, France, Israel, Russian, China, India to have nukes but not Iran?

It's not and none of them should have nukes either.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Spangly A posted:

there is literally nobody on earth that jess phillips could have assassinated

now now, that's unfair towards jess phillips

she could probably assassinate herself just fine

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Playing devil's advocate, once they have the fuel cycle technology working, the path to a viable nuclear device is extremely short for an even vaguely modern industrial country. The UK managed it in six years, India managed it in about 7 years, Pakistan 5, and Israel (allegedly!) in two.

That's why non-proliferation always focuses on the lower-level fuel enrichment process (and moving countries towards reactor designs not requiring highly-enriched uranium) because once you have access to sufficient HEU you can get enough plutonium for a simple implosion device in a couple of weeks with a load of graphite bricks (massive fire and contamination of surrounding fields hopefully optional).

Obviously this ignores the difficulty of things like getting the actual implosion to work, miniaturising the whole thing to the point it can be actually delivered (which requires a whole other class of reactors to get enough tritium for a boosted-fission device, scotching the favourite doomsday scenario of the suitcase nuke) and all the other problems of nuclear weapons design.

You really shouldn't be playing devil's advocate when it comes to bullshit that has been used to gently caress over and impoverish an entire country for no reason other than the US still having a stick up their rear end for said country daring to topple their puppet dictator.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Renaissance Robot posted:

Oh neat I just wanted to gripe, I didn't think you'd actually have an answer!

I actually just trashed the burned phone last week cause the glass was smashed too, so it's fine really. I'll turn those options on to save this one though, thanks for the response!

nah it's cool! There's a thread for the app if you ever need/demand answers (in IYG or there's a link in the app settings) or you can just mention stuff to me in here, it's all good. And yeah I had an old phone with an OLED screen, I ended up being able to see all the android UI stuff when I was watching a video or whatever, they need to fix that tech tbh

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are you saying they need a NEEW screen?

I almost looked this up you jerk

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Doccykins posted:

yeah I get that, what I mean is 3.67% is considered the absolute bare minimum to run a basic rear end reactor at low efficiency, which is what Iran's been restricted to doing. At around 5% purity you can run that reactor twice as long, or run a modern reactor which requires that higher purity. So is Iran enriching to 4.5% (they've said they're going for 5%) doesn't seem especially notable or objectionable, y'know?

They've limited their own nuclear power capacity to comply with this deal, and since the US reneged they've taken the brakes off in a completely understandable way. If you've been carefully doing 20mph on a normal road and then you start to accelerate back up towards 30, that doesn't mean you're definitely going for 100 mph so you can ram a tesco express

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cerebral Bore posted:

You really shouldn't be playing devil's advocate when it comes to bullshit that has been used to gently caress over and impoverish an entire country for no reason other than the US still having a stick up their rear end for said country daring to topple their puppet dictator.

poo poo, I had no idea my opinion would be the thing that tipped the balance.

e: Actually, to be rather less flippant - it's not bullshit, it's simple facts, and ignoring this just ends up making you look stupid and/or willfully blind when the discussion turns (as it inevitably will) to this subject. More than anything it illustrates the sheer loving stupidity of the US pulling out of the deal that was the actual main thing that stopped Iran from having the capability (note not the inclination) to build a nuclear weapon, because you're going to get a lot of concern trolls talking about preventing proliferation in the next few months. We had a way of preventing them even potentially getting nuclear weapons, it was working perfectly, and Trump tore it up.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 5, 2020

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Get Armageddon Done

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Azza Bamboo posted:

Get Armageddon Done

Hey I'd vote for The Asteroid 2025.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Can't wait for Jess Phillips to argue for an invasion of Iran to enhance women and gay rights in Iran.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jaete posted:

now now, that's unfair towards jess phillips

she could probably assassinate herself just fine

If Jess Phillips put a shotgun in her mouth and pulled the trigger I would still expect her to miss. Or she would have failed to load it, having expected someone else to do it.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Finally looked at some news (and read the thread) for the first time since before Christmas. So, uh, the very first political action of 2020 was Trump straight up assassinating a foreign dignitary to distract from his impeachment and Johnson just loving about on his island holiday ignoring it?

Cool, cool. Start as you mean to go on decade, it's all good. Most terrorist actions since 2005 have been kinda half arsed, I mean even the weekly school shootings in America have a better body count. About time we got back to the proper state funded stuff.

(Hello GCHQ, no I'm calling Trump a terrorist not starting a betting pool on when Iran is going to launch reprisal attacks. Mostly.)

Also American poltiical cartoons continue to be loving weird

Stolen from the polititoons thread, obviously. But I'm sure after that whole Charlie Hebdo thing that most political cartoonists have bodyguards now, right.

E: Considering if I should NSFW tag the Ayatollah Arse.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Is it just me or did "Prime Minister" suddenly start becoming just "Johnson" on the BBC now that the election is over?

E.g.: Johnson 'will not lament' Soleimani's death (though it does say prime minister at the beginning of the first paragraph, to be fair)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Interesting thread:

https://twitter.com/DNNWorldNews/status/1213864626825375744?s=20

(Ed: I posted this only for the info on the Iraqi PM's comments.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 6, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

That thread seems to be a mix of actual facts from more reliable sources (like what the Iraqi PM said) and utterly nonsensical bullshit (like ISIS expressing solidarity with Iran). Not sure why this particular Twitter rando warrants listening to.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

That thread seems to be a mix of actual facts from more reliable sources (like what the Iraqi PM said) and utterly nonsensical bullshit (like ISIS expressing solidarity with Iran). Not sure why this particular Twitter rando warrants listening to.

I posted it for the info on the Iraqi PM comments (didn't see any comments about ISIS). - Ed: just double checked I don't see any comments relating to ISIS! People have mentioned before that twitter doesn't show all the comments to everyone!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

That twitter might not be particularly notable but I don't know how much fake news it is. Skimming through it quickly I saw this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DNNWorldNews/status/1213826985929129984

And I was all, yeah that's obvious fake news, that couldn't possibly be real. But I had a niggling worm of doubt in the back of my mind because 2020 hellworld and everything. So I googled it and, uhh, humm.:

NBC News: Trump threatens attacks on 52 sites if Iran retaliates for Soleimani killing

Trump posted:

“We have . . . targeted 52 Iranian sites (representing the 52 American hostages taken by Iran many years ago), some at a very high level & important to Iran & the Iranian culture, and those targets, and Iran itself, WILL BE HIT VERY FAST AND VERY HARD. The USA wants no more threats!”

Ahh. Oh well.

That said that particular twitter does seem quite critical of the US administration.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 6, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mowzdef/status/1213947279645847554

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I posted it for the info on the Iraqi PM comments (didn't see any comments about ISIS). - Ed: just double checked I don't see any comments relating to ISIS! People have mentioned before that twitter doesn't show all the comments to everyone!

Ah, I see, they deleted that tweet and broke the thread. Here's the cut-off fragment afterwards.

https://twitter.com/dnnworldnews/status/1213979049938292737?s=21

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Darth Walrus posted:

Ah, I see, they deleted that tweet and broke the thread. Here's the cut-off fragment afterwards.

https://twitter.com/dnnworldnews/status/1213979049938292737?s=21

Oh, right, yeah that does seem to be an Iranian-backed twitter then. Probably. I guess. I did get a fairly anti-US vibe from it even without that.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Chuka Umana posted:

Can't wait for Jess Phillips to argue for an invasion of Iran to enhance women and gay rights in Iran.

Invade Iran hard enough to give them women’s and gay rights, but not so hard you give them trans rights. It’s a delicate balancing act.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I genuinely wonder if Trump is even aware that the Iranian Hostage Crisis has been over for awhile now. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if his swiss-cheese smoothbrain thinks it's ongoing, and that he just heard about Operation Eagle Claw breaking bad this morning.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Liberals are already white washing George W Bush for the Iraq war but Conservatives hate Jimmy Carter as much as ever for failing to save those hostages.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Good morning UKMT

Comrade Fakename posted:

Invade Iran hard enough to give them women’s and gay rights, but not so hard you give them trans rights. It’s a delicate balancing act.
Iran has had better trans rights than most of Europe since the 80s.

It's the bit where they think LGB people are trans people in denial and need reassignment that they need to stop loving doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

Good morning UKMT

This is violence. In other news, I'm back at work today and my sleep schedule was so bad over the festive period that it feels like I've got a hangover from waking up at 7am. We need to hurry up and overthrow capitalism because this is some bullshit.