Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Its a metallurgy thing and takes alot of trial amd error, infrastructure etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
First, because China doesn't handle the entire iPhone supply chain. It sources many inputs from elsewhere. Second, the materials and manufacturing processes involved in making an iphone are much simpler than those required to make a gas turbine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The tricky bits for iphones etc are fabricating the ICs (done in taiwan, mostly) and the displays (done in South Korea).

Milling out the casings and fabricating/populating the PCBs are relatively simple, along with slapping them all together.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Suicide Watch posted:

I don't get how China can do all the manufacturing for iPhones and Macbooks when they can't get their jet engines done right. Do they have the capability, just lacking the economic will? Or are they actually different processes (forging vs machining? metallurgy?)
single crystal casting is hard AF, unlike SMD and personal electronics assembly work.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Suicide Watch posted:

I don't get how China can do all the manufacturing for iPhones and Macbooks when they can't get their jet engines done right. Do they have the capability, just lacking the economic will? Or are they actually different processes (forging vs machining? metallurgy?)

Building jet engines is really loving hard. There's a lot of industrial secrets / classified as poo poo metallurgy etc...

One of the major espionage / corruption scandals of the cold war was the Soviets managing to get some CnC machines so they could build submarine propeller designs that they couldn't manufacture otherwise.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba-Kongsberg_scandal

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 5, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It’s one of those things where simply having a chunk of the refined metal/product doesn’t mean you can divine how it got to the state it is and replicate the process simply by throwing money at it.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alaan posted:

Were there any full crazy f14 paint schemes? I think I’ve only seen tail paint and a little flair around the cockpit or a line or something.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nice

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Smiling Jack posted:

undisclosed location on long island :tinfoil:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There’s a few of them in bars in Key West, too.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

simplefish posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo?
Why is she called F-4 and moreover why is the other person saying she should be scrapped or whatever?
What the gently caress is this I don't like it.

There's a subset of anime where the protagonists are military vehicles (planes, ships etc) but are also somehow anthropomorphic people that also look like japanese schoolgirls.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Deptfordx posted:

There's a subset of anime where the protagonists are military vehicles (planes, ships etc) but are also somehow anthropomorphic people that also look like japanese schoolgirls.

I didn't need to know this but it's something I can't forget

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

In short: godDAMMIT Japan

Edit: he forgot to mention that usually they are not yet highschoolers and there more damage they take the more of their school uniforms come off and i havent spoken to the people that told me that in years

Stravag fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 5, 2020

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

TERRAIN

TERRAIN

PULL UP

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Suicide Watch posted:

Others have mentioned that the complex parts of the supply chain aren't made in China, but another overlooked aspect of this is that one of Apple's big business innovations in the 2000s was figuring out how to enforce quality control on your Chinese suppliers. It seems to be something that has to be enforced from outside. Although the situation may have changed in the intervening years as Chinese manufacturing has grown.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Stravag posted:

Gavrilo Princip has a lot to answer for

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Alaan posted:

Were there any full crazy f14 paint schemes? I think I’ve only seen tail paint and a little flair around the cockpit or a line or something.

Do a Google Image Search for "Aggressor F-14."

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Hauldren Collider posted:

Others have mentioned that the complex parts of the supply chain aren't made in China, but another overlooked aspect of this is that one of Apple's big business innovations in the 2000s was figuring out how to enforce quality control on your Chinese suppliers. It seems to be something that has to be enforced from outside. Although the situation may have changed in the intervening years as Chinese manufacturing has grown.

Even with the iPhone the complicated bits are often not made in China. The phones are assembled there and some parts like the batteries come from Chinese companies, but stuff like microprocessors, cameras, glass screens, etc. are coming in from other parts of the world.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Do a Google Image Search for "Aggressor F-14."

that flanker scheme.....

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
please respect 70 years of japanese culture.

In this essay I will explain how the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand directly led to the proliferation of anthropomorphized military equipment as an anime genre

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
It's also worth noting that even when dealing with very simple consumer electronics, there's almost always a few people from the designing company who supervise and define and enforce processes.

For example, an industrial designer and I will design a circuitboard and an enclosure together here in Australia, and develop assembly instructions for these. We will likely even build the production line testing jigs here. Then we'll send the instructions and design files to our manufacturers in China, and spend at least a month fighting with them until they've finally got it right.

Now obviously at this point there are world leading Chinese electronics firms in many different markets, and they can design many things just as well as everyone else, but my point is that manufacturing capability is only half the battle, you also need design capability and that's also very hard.

Aircraft engines are particularly hard as the security environment means you have to work everything out from first principles, which takes decades. I'm confident that Chinese firms will develop better engines as their government is willing to fund the monster effort. I don't know if they'll ever catch up though, as I don't think western engine firms are sitting on their hands and they've got a pretty good head start

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Stravag posted:

Edit: he forgot to mention that usually they are not yet highschoolers and there more damage they take the more of their school uniforms come off and i havent spoken to the people that told me that in years

To be fair there's at least two series where the concept results in a genuinely good show and an alright and entertaining show on the other. Girls Und Panzer which is basically War Thunder/World of Tanks: The Anime, which really commits to the Tank Battles as Sports Tournaments premise.

And then there's Highschool Fleet which is like World of Warships: The Anime with some weird plotlines that feel like some director got replaced half way through because it started interesting and then became basically Star Trek by the end with the ship's Doctor curing a rage virus thing. Kinda a mess but harmlessly so with some fun Destroyer on Battleship action.

The various ship girl and plane girl animes I've seen so far have definitely been varying levels of garbage but there is in total like 1 or 2 that are at least acceptable.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

To be fair there's at least two series where the concept results in a genuinely good show and an alright and entertaining show on the other. Girls Und Panzer which is basically War Thunder/World of Tanks: The Anime, which really commits to the Tank Battles as Sports Tournaments premise.

And then there's Highschool Fleet which is like World of Warships: The Anime with some weird plotlines that feel like some director got replaced half way through because it started interesting and then became basically Star Trek by the end with the ship's Doctor curing a rage virus thing. Kinda a mess but harmlessly so with some fun Destroyer on Battleship action.

The various ship girl and plane girl animes I've seen so far have definitely been varying levels of garbage but there is in total like 1 or 2 that are at least acceptable.

lol this fuckin guy

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

MRC48B posted:

TERRAIN

TERRAIN

PULL UP

I dunno, flying into a mountain is starting to sound really appealing.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I dunno, flying into a mountain is starting to sound really appealing.

:hmmyes:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

powerful post/av combo

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I lust for nuclear death

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

LostCosmonaut posted:

powerful post/av combo

I mean someone out there paid 10$ for it, so don't thank me, you can thank my friends on the other side. ;)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

iirc there was some critical process in the SR-71 project that was loving up all the time and was eventually traced back to brand of window cleaner the janitors were using. Cutting edge materials science isn't quite magic but it's definitely magic-adjacent.

E: another example of titanium metallurgy being an insanely hard nut to crack in terms of industrial-scale execution is the soviets throwing up their hands in disgust and saying "gently caress it, we'll just build the Foxbat out of stainless" which is uhhh non-optimal to say the least

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 6, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Jesus.

Had no idea you felt so strongly about material science.

Here buddy, have some anime jet fighter girls to feel better. :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiK6QBkV0gU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cyrano4747 posted:

Jesus.

Why the gently caress is she wearing no helmet and a maid outfit in- you know what I'm ok not knowing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Et tu Cyrano?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

THERE'S NO REPORT BUTTON

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Cyrano4747 posted:

Jesus.

is mod sass still bannable

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Jesus.

No implausibly skimpy G suits that act as push up bras when inflated. 0/10. Unwatchable.

Christ you give him a red star and he goes mad with power

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Discussion > The Firing Range > KŪGUN / REISEN - Its literally the first two lines of their OVA

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
lmao that clip owns

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

Jesus.

This is actually that Show-Within-A-Show from Shirobako and isn't actually a produced anime. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Fine. So where is the attack helicopter one.