Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I keep waiting for this game to shut down, there is no way this poo poo show is going to actually release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Im going to take a wild guess that management is going to keep drawing paychecks until the bank accounts are empty. If they were to close up shop now theyd have to figure out how to give the money theyve raised back.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Maybe they'll just keep getting donations from wealthy nerds and they will keep bloating the concept thus extending the development time until, finally, Pantheon actually becomes a neutron star

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
If this game ever does release it will be such a poo poo show. Even "real" games have a hard time coping with bug fixing on the first few weeks of an MMOs lifespan, this game has absolutely no chance unless they somehow triple their development team.

VR seems to think that time has no impact on the state of the game- like they can just take as much time as they need and when it finally comes out it will all be okay. This nonsense doesn't work for most games (with the possible exception of single player nostalgia graphics indie titles) but it certainly doesn't work for MMOs.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

quote:

I played EverQuest 1 from 1999-2007 and that game holds a dear place in my heart. Intermittently I played Dark Age of Camelot, Asheron's Call, FFXI you name it I've probably played it.

Fast forward to current day. I checked out the Cohh stream as everybody else here did and was pleasantly surprised at how polished it looked and played. Here's what irks me.

People won't play this. Kiddos will bash its graphics, its animations, its combat system and it'll bomb due to the fearmongering culture gaming has presented itself today.

Gear doesn't fall out of the sky like WoW? Game sucks I want the best poo poo NOW!
Combat isn't exactly like Black Desert and has that crispness to it? Game sucks looks like early 2000s game
Game forces you to play with other people? Game sucks why can't I solo everything?
Game allows you to play solo? Game sucks isn't this an MMORPG I'm supposed to group!
A new one that we haven't seen in years (ESO does this well). My race sucks for my class! This game sucks! >:(
Here's the problem. Gamers in 2019 are going to see this and just complain about everything it's not supposed to be. To this very day I'm an avid Black Desert player because I enjoy the slow burn and really impossible achievable goals the game sets out but I digress. To this day people are still on the Black Desert forums and subreddit complaining about no group content, no raid content, why isn't this game more like FFXIV, GW2 or WOW? Because ITS NOT THOSE GAMES.

I can swing over to the FFXIV or WoW subreddits right now and I'll bet I can find at least a handful of threads that say the opposite. Why is this game so easy? Why can't I have long achievement goals? Rotations are too simplistic. Game is overall boring! >:(

But now we have this great game coming. Race diversity, class diversity. Group content. Some solo content. At its core it's a true and proper MMORPG and an even more proper RPG. Guess what? The kiddos that this game needs money from don't care because the above reasons. These players don't even stick around. I'm old school so I was always one to have a "main game." However it would seem to me that these people just hop from game to game to game and complain until it dies or drives the community crazy and it just becomes an echo chamber of complaints.

The developers, of course are going to hear these outcries and are going to attempt to adjust the game in their favor because why wouldn't they? They need cash, the game needs a healthy playerbase to survive right? 30-60 days these players are gone and onto the "next hype MMORPG" and the game we enjoyed is now a broken, buggy completely different mess of a game.

Sorry I'm just frustrated because I know it's coming. I think we all know the zerg of mindless gamers is coming. Even going by a glimpse of Cohh's twitch chat you just had these players spamming. OMG RESIDENTSLEEPER LUL RESIDENTSLEEPER LUL. It just irritates me to no end

We can't have EverQuest 1 again. We can't have Dark Age of Camelot nor can we have Ultima online or other niche titles but goddamnit let us have Pantheon and leave this game in peace. If I have to pay a subscription of $500 bucks a month I'd do it if the echo chamber of players who complain 24/7 about a $8.99 sub go away. I seriously would. I'm that desperate.

EDIT: Sorry for the rant guys and thanks for your comments and input. I know it comes off as me just taking shots at everybody but that wasn't my intention.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

keep chasing the dream, mmo players

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If they can get by with 2k or so playerbase for a couple years after release while they polish things and add content and market the game I think it’ll do fine.

At least they have the advantage of being the only remotely hardcore style game even trying to exist.

In any case I’m resigned to playing p99 for at least another few years until this releases which isn’t at all bad.

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
game looks insanely terrible.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I hope it does come out simply because it will be an elephant graveyard for MMO Boomers who can't let it go and understand the reason we put up with the poo poo EQ and UO handed us was because there were no other options.

It was the people you interacted with, not the game.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Givin posted:

I hope it does come out simply because it will be an elephant graveyard for MMO Boomers who can't let it go and understand the reason we put up with the poo poo EQ and UO handed us was because there were no other options.

It was the people you interacted with, not the game.

The current best example of why oldschool mmo design does not work in the modern era is what happened towow classic PVP servers after the honor system went live but there weren't battlegrounds yet. This lead t servers where a slight imbalance to start with ended with one side camping the other's capital until the entire faction left the server, leading to servers with literal 90/10 population splits. Then BGs came out and the severe imbalance led to unending ques for BGs. Then to fix that they enabled xserver grouping and here we are back in the glory days of vent servers (discord now) where a person says 'ok, click in 3 2 1 click' and the HWL grind is over 1m honor per week.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Byolante posted:

The current best example of why oldschool mmo design does not work in the modern era is what happened towow classic PVP servers after the honor system went live but there weren't battlegrounds yet. This lead t servers where a slight imbalance to start with ended with one side camping the other's capital until the entire faction left the server, leading to servers with literal 90/10 population splits. Then BGs came out and the severe imbalance led to unending ques for BGs. Then to fix that they enabled xserver grouping and here we are back in the glory days of vent servers (discord now) where a person says 'ok, click in 3 2 1 click' and the HWL grind is over 1m honor per week.

That’s more of an example of why faithfully recreating the exact design (NO CHANGES) of a 15 year old game is problematic.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Yeah that’s a crummy example that’s pretty unique to one game, and speaks more to why a faction divide is dumb. I don’t think these nostalgic MMOs are trying to set new sub records, just provide an option for a small consistent group of players. I play several old MMOs that are still releasing content that work like this, and to me they are more fun than the generic modernized games.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Ehud posted:

That’s more of an example of why faithfully recreating the exact design (NO CHANGES) of a 15 year old game is problematic.

Many of us wanted a Progression server, Give me 15 years of WOW in 3 or 4 years. Classic is clearly dropping players now that they know the game was more grind NPCs then do quests. Ahh the fun of classic.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

PyRosflam posted:

Many of us wanted a Progression server, Give me 15 years of WOW in 3 or 4 years. Classic is clearly dropping players now that they know the game was more grind NPCs then do quests. Ahh the fun of classic.

EQ does those and it’s pretty cool. I’d do from classic to WoTLK.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I think most people that played vanilla WoW knew the classic server was going to be a flash in the pan. Im still kind of sad I didnt bother playing it at launch for at least a month or two since thats the period when these types of things can still be pretty fun. I seriously doubt Pantheon is going to even achieve that brief bit of fun. It doesnt even have the nostalgia factor that stuff like EQ time lock servers and Classic WoW have.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I think the principles of the gameplay in Pantheon are supposed to be nostalgic themselves, and some people really do enjoy that kind of punishment. Myself included, and I've played many modern mmos and enjoyed them for what they were, but I just never feel a sense of investment in any character I've made. Whereas I always go back to classic EQ on p99 and even classic UO.

And granted, some people enjoy getting smashed in the balls too, but still.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

For me the nostalgia I enjoy with these games isnt revisiting old mechanics so much as it is old places and occasionally people. I really dig going back into EQ to group at places like Orc Highway or Frenzied Ghoul. Or maybe camping Hill Giants at that fort in the zone whose name I forgot but its between Lake of Ill Omen and The Overthere. Or countless other places. Theres no way in hell I would want to go into a new game with a new world with those same old horrible mechanics. I just dont have that kind of time any more. And while there certainly is a small group of people that just like having their cubes stomped by games in general I suspect a whole lot of the other nostalgia fans who flock to any game that raises the banner of "like EQ!!" are going to get bored and wander off pretty quickly when they discover only a time machine will let them experience the magic of having some jerk of a dervish cutthroat cast blind on them for the first time.

Basically, if this releases itll be Wildstar 2.0 but for even older people.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I missed Wildstar because it was released during a time that I wasn’t doing much PC gaming.

I wish I could see why it was such a disaster. I love stuff like that.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Ehud posted:

I missed Wildstar because it was released during a time that I wasn’t doing much PC gaming.

As with any dead MMO ever, there's a server emulator in the works. At least they're focusing on the one really good part of the game.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
The time investment in EQ-like games is the thing that is the dealbreaker for me. If there was a way to capture that sense of consequences for mistakes and investment in my character/relationships in a two hour window per day, I would be stoked.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ehud posted:

I think the main thing was that despite having relatively cool combat, it was too focused on the "HARDCORE" audience (it had a Burning-Crusade-esque attunement quest to unlock the raid, and then 40-man raids. No one really wants that poo poo anymore, at least enough people to maintain a big-budget mainstream MMO). The questing itself was also fairly bog standard collect 10 bear asses stuff.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FrostyPox posted:

I think the main thing was that despite having relatively cool combat, it was too focused on the "HARDCORE" audience (it had a Burning-Crusade-esque attunement quest to unlock the raid, and then 40-man raids. No one really wants that poo poo anymore, at least enough people to maintain a big-budget mainstream MMO). The questing itself was also fairly bog standard collect 10 bear asses stuff.

And it was hilariously buggy, meaning that you could be on step 22 of 23 in attuning and get bugged, only to be told you had to abandon the quest and start over.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Ehud posted:

It had some flashes of brilliance but was very, very poorly managed. It was fun for the first month or so per the norm with MMOs but you really didnt miss much. It was one of those games that was fun to watch fail from afar if only due to the hubris of the people running it. Of course many of the managers who ran the game into the ground failed upwards into management positions at place like Blizzard, so expect more dismal failures in the not so distance future.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Subjunctive posted:

And it was hilariously buggy, meaning that you could be on step 22 of 23 in attuning and get bugged, only to be told you had to abandon the quest and start over.

It was buggier and shitter than that. You could bug the attunement easily in a way that not only broke the quest but the only way of fixing it was to reroll.

Also there were game breaking dungeon bugs we found during the FNF beta that made it into live.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Ehud posted:

I think the overall design was kinda flawed, it had really old-school mob grind quest design but sandwiched that together with action combat and bullet hell mechanics on bosses. My friends group of old grizzled Everquest players were down for the grind but not into the action fight choreography, whereas I imagine for people who valued the action combat it wasn't particularly thrilling to use it to grind 10 bear asses.

It also had a pretty divisive art style. I liked it personally, but I found the UI kinda obnoxious, just running around the world I'd constantly be getting pop-up windows about quests and adventures, and the announcer guy would be going on about how I'm a cupcake, and it was just kinda lame.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Byolante posted:

It was buggier and shitter than that. You could bug the attunement easily in a way that not only broke the quest but the only way of fixing it was to reroll.

Also there were game breaking dungeon bugs we found during the FNF beta that made it into live.

They very clearly had something wrong with their team structure and systems that made bug squashing take a really long time. This was made worse by the fact that the developer was absolutely committed to keeping its promise to have a quarterly content release schedule. So what happened was they would roll out new content that was full of even more bugs making the situation even worse. And the new content wasnt even good, the first content patch was just a reskin of the newbie area that was full of boring daily quests.

Wildstar was a good example of how putting the "ideas guys" in charge of a major project like an MMO is just a bad idea. Projects like these really need competent manage that understands how to structure teams, workflow, etc as well as what you can accomplish with the assets you have available.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chomposaur posted:

It also had a pretty divisive art style. I liked it personally, but I found the UI kinda obnoxious, just running around the world I'd constantly be getting pop-up windows about quests and adventures, and the announcer guy would be going on about how I'm a cupcake, and it was just kinda lame.

Yeah even if had been the perfectly designed mmo I wouldn't have played because cartoon sci-fi isn't interesting to me.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Wildstar was so badly managed that the president of the company announced a huge PvP feature (that barely anybody played because it required 80 people to queue for it, and having built guild forts) in an interview. The actual development team found out about that feature when the interview was published.

Then there's Winner.gif, and how the lead raid designer was literally shadowing guilds' raid attempts in-game and patching bosses to counter winning strategies whenever they got beaten. When finally forced to tune down the lovely ~Hardest Raid~, he basically threw a tantrum when someone posted about having beaten it and posted this in their thread:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Have you seen warplots?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

CoffeeBooze posted:

Have you seen warplots?

Did anyone? Wasn't the whole problem with that being it was pvp Raid vs Raid preform and nobody wanted to put up with that much organizing to pvp when you could do any of the drop in stuff?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Wildstar's hardcore difficulty boner didn't just extend to raids. One concept the game had was "interrupt armor", which basically meant that multiple people needed to use their spell interrupt ability to actually interrupt something. Even your typical dungeon trash had this; a heal would have 1 armor and require two people in the party use their interrupts to stop it, and it'd heal for a lot if they failed to coordinate. I remember the first time I queued for the very first dungeon and after slowly making our way through the trash we barely cleared the first boss and then got to the second. The second boss had a massive attack which would stun everyone and kill or nearly kill them. That ability had 2 interrupt armor and so required 3 out of 5 people in the party have their interrupt skills equipped and coordinate to use them in relatively quick succession. If 3 people did not do that you'd probably all die and have to the boss over. I never saw the third boss.

That sort of thing isn't hard for a coordinated bunch who know the game of course, but shockingly it turned out not every random group for the goddamn starter dungeon of the game is going to meet that criteria.

There was also just a lot of other vaguely needless complexity: a lot of abilities that weren't really worth using but hard to evaluate as such, any loss of control effect (stun, disarm, etc) would have an accompanying QTE to break it which the devs used as an excuse to add annoying loss of control effects to everything you ever fought, as a healer you had to physically aim heals at your party which turned healing pve groups into a strange and frustrating pvp shooter, and so on. Overall there was just no one on the dev team that even considered that in a 1000+ hour ostensibly social game maybe people are going to just want to have a relaxing time causing explosions, beating things up and taking their stuff without needing to execute at 100% precision.

E: Oh, huh, this discussion is going on in the Rise of the Fallen Pants thread? I didn't even realize when I posted earlier, thought I was in one of the generic ones. Leaving this overly lengthy reply and shutting up.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 5, 2020

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

lol no. Which made that catch phrase being used to promote them all the more amusing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wildstar did eventually have its massive difficult curve scaled way back. Basically when it went free to play, but it was too late at that point. The damage had already been done. I actually enjoyed Wildstar a lot and am sad that the game was shut down. I never got to try the group content, or raids, all of that was eventually made accessible to everyone and was easy to clear, but there was just no one left to see it once it happened. I wish it could come back under another developer/publisher, free to play with a good cash shop that sellers cosmetics, pets, mounts, and housing items would be perfect. The PvP was also very good too, I liked that you could level up entirely on PvP and you got new level appropriate gear and weapons every 10 levels.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I wish World of Warcraft was really Warhammer Online every day except they had three factions instead of two.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Cithen posted:

The time investment in EQ-like games is the thing that is the dealbreaker for me. If there was a way to capture that sense of consequences for mistakes and investment in my character/relationships in a two hour window per day, I would be stoked.

I mean I totally get that, but you can also just play EQ for only two hours a day. That's actually probably a really healthy pace to play at, on p99 green currently everybody is racing to 50 and is going to have nothing to do for like the better part of a year until kunark comes out.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Givin posted:

I wish World of Warcraft was really Warhammer Online every day except they had three factions instead of two.

I played in the Goon WAR guild and it was pretty fun

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Relayer posted:

I mean I totally get that, but you can also just play EQ for only two hours a day. That's actually probably a really healthy pace to play at, on p99 green currently everybody is racing to 50 and is going to have nothing to do for like the better part of a year until kunark comes out.

Can you even find a group to play with in two hours? Maybe its different on p99 but when I played EQ if you joined a group and left in an hour or so people would be kind of annoyed.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

CoffeeBooze posted:

Can you even find a group to play with in two hours? Maybe its different on p99 but when I played EQ if you joined a group and left in an hour or so people would be kind of annoyed.

Sometimes no, but sometimes yes. That's why it's a good pace to play at. And there are lots of things to do to strengthen your character, like on a whim I decided to go camp the mob in befallen for the paw of opolla quest, fully expecting not to get it. I got there and there was a cleric camping it who had been there ten hours. He just happened to get it almost immediately after I got there, and then I took the camp over and got it literally on the 3rd spawn. Total time investment was about 50 minutes. But if you don't play you'll never fall rear end backward into such satisfying outcomes like that.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Givin posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Givin posted:

I miss my Goblin Shaman every time I think of MMOs :/

Faction imbalance and Bright Wizard spam killed that game stone dead.