Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

The Cameo posted:

One of my personal favorites was Mark Henry coming out in a gauntlet match Orton was going through, and Orton thinking just like the previous guy that Henry will let himself get counted out - only for the ref to start counting, Mark grabbing his hand, and then wagging his finger while Randy just about shits himself like “oh god, I’m going to die.”
That sounds awesome and hilarious. Plus its always fun to watch Mark Henry wrestle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Mark Henry was always good.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTcWdrcJsIE&t=160s

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Ganso Bomb posted:

I don't know how it ranks on the lists, but the Mr Perfect turn after Heenan slapped him on Prime Time is loving incredible.

This will always be my favorite one. It's just so well done and is one of those special wrestling moments where poo poo is hosed due to real life and they pull out a gem with their backs to the wall.

For those who haven't seen it, the storyline was that Randy Savage and the Ultimate Warrior had a face vs. face title match at SummerSlam, which was ruined by Ric Flair and his "executive consultant" Mr. Perfect (who hadn't wrestled since the previous SummerSlam). Flair beat Savage for the title shortly after... which he then lost to Bret Hart, taking the belt out of the story. Savage and Warrior became a tag team based on being over-the-top lunatics in silly sunglasses and were set to face Flair and Razor Ramon (who was new to the company and was getting a brief main event heel push) at Survivor Series.

A couple weeks before the PPV, Warrior quit WWF. Or was fired for using human growth hormone. Whatever. He was off the show. The only silver lining was that his last segment was using his body to shield Savage from a beatdown, which at least wrote him off in kayfabe.

They had all the Superstars and Wrestling Challenge episodes taped. All they had to work with to pivot the story was Prime Time Wrestling, which at the time was just about Vince McMahon, Bobby Heenan, Mr. Perfect, Jim Duggan and Hillbilly Jim discussing storylines and showing clips from house shows. They dedicated one episode to basically rebuilding their big Survivor Series match by having Savage appear via satellite to say that he wanted Mr. Perfect to be his partner. Heenan, Flair, Razor and even Perfect laughed their asses off at this idea. Perfect and Flair were buds! Perfect was in Flair's corner! Why the hell would Perfect be his opponent?

But as the two hours continued, cracks started to show. Flair's confidence started to get a little out of hand and he went from saying Perfect wouldn't take him on to saying Perfect couldn't take him on. Savage made it apparent that he respected Perfect and wondered why he was stuck on the sidelines. Perfect started to question it himself, all while Flair and Heenan insisted on talking for him. Was it in his best interest to be the "executive consultant" or was it just a way for Flair to keep one of his greatest potential threats under his thumb?

Then when it came time for Perfect to give his answer, Heenan tried to control him and bit off more than he could chew. It finally pushed Perfect into siding with Savage, which made Heenan slap him out of anger and immediately grovel upon realizing what he did. Perfect humiliated Heenan to end the show and that one episode of Prime Time sold a Warriorless PPV.

Then we got Perfect vs. Flair, in what was probably the first truly great match in Raw history.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Heenan's immediate backdown after slapping Mr. Perfect is :discourse:

Edit: Full clip in the post below!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 4, 2020

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gavok posted:

This will always be my favorite one. It's just so well done and is one of those special wrestling moments where poo poo is hosed due to real life and they pull out a gem with their backs to the wall.

For those who haven't seen it, the storyline was that Randy Savage and the Ultimate Warrior had a face vs. face title match at SummerSlam, which was ruined by Ric Flair and his "executive consultant" Mr. Perfect (who hadn't wrestled since the previous SummerSlam). Flair beat Savage for the title shortly after... which he then lost to Bret Hart, taking the belt out of the story. Savage and Warrior became a tag team based on being over-the-top lunatics in silly sunglasses and were set to face Flair and Razor Ramon (who was new to the company and was getting a brief main event heel push) at Survivor Series.

A couple weeks before the PPV, Warrior quit WWF. Or was fired for using human growth hormone. Whatever. He was off the show. The only silver lining was that his last segment was using his body to shield Savage from a beatdown, which at least wrote him off in kayfabe.

They had all the Superstars and Wrestling Challenge episodes taped. All they had to work with to pivot the story was Prime Time Wrestling, which at the time was just about Vince McMahon, Bobby Heenan, Mr. Perfect, Jim Duggan and Hillbilly Jim discussing storylines and showing clips from house shows. They dedicated one episode to basically rebuilding their big Survivor Series match by having Savage appear via satellite to say that he wanted Mr. Perfect to be his partner. Heenan, Flair, Razor and even Perfect laughed their asses off at this idea. Perfect and Flair were buds! Perfect was in Flair's corner! Why the hell would Perfect be his opponent?

But as the two hours continued, cracks started to show. Flair's confidence started to get a little out of hand and he went from saying Perfect wouldn't take him on to saying Perfect couldn't take him on. Savage made it apparent that he respected Perfect and wondered why he was stuck on the sidelines. Perfect started to question it himself, all while Flair and Heenan insisted on talking for him. Was it in his best interest to be the "executive consultant" or was it just a way for Flair to keep one of his greatest potential threats under his thumb?

Then when it came time for Perfect to give his answer, Heenan tried to control him and bit off more than he could chew. It finally pushed Perfect into siding with Savage, which made Heenan slap him out of anger and immediately grovel upon realizing what he did. Perfect humiliated Heenan to end the show and that one episode of Prime Time sold a Warriorless PPV.

Then we got Perfect vs. Flair, in what was probably the first truly great match in Raw history.

Just reading this is so loving good so I looked it up to see if anyone had it available on YouTube.

We're all in luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCvi1JuF4uU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo that is an amazing thirty minutes of wrestling promotion.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

this isn't the new japan thread :(

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
oh. i realize now they had only asked for face turns.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I don't remember it very well but there was an episode of RAW with HHH berating Cody and Ted. Everyone was begging them to just lay into HHH right there and they just.. didn't.

Speaking of, was Ted salvageable? I'm sure they expected him to be his father without the ten years of indie experience he had and you can't really make that up. I vaguely recall he had a legit glass jaw which amuses me.

They absolutely expected Ted to be the breakout star of that group and when it was clear Cody was the dude, they just didn't pull the trigger instead of actually adjusting the angle.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I mark the Perfect face turn 3rd after Savage and Undertaker. Weird all three of these happened in a 2 year time span. (I think)
Did WCW EVER have a good face turn?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

DDP maybe?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

rujasu posted:

DDP maybe?

Good enough.
Onto a different subject: I decided to combine the results of our "Best Active Wrestler" list with Video Games' "Best Game of 2019" list and have come to the conclusion that Okada should do an LP on Disco Elysium, Y/N?

(Disco Elysium smashed the field outscoring the second place game by almost 200 points, not quite Okada domination but drat close)

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Gaz-L posted:

They absolutely expected Ted to be the breakout star of that group and when it was clear Cody was the dude, they just didn't pull the trigger instead of actually adjusting the angle.

Ted's little push with Maryse and even Virgil is hilarious in hindsight given the guy didn't have a twentieth of the charisma his father had.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

I mark the Perfect face turn 3rd after Savage and Undertaker. Weird all three of these happened in a 2 year time span. (I think)

Larry Zbysko smacking Paul E. Dangerously in the face was pretty good

e: I guess Cactus Jack turning face because Vader and Paul Orndorff were jerks was pretty good, too?

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 4, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno if video exists, but Dusty faceturn in the 70s is supposed to be epic

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Savage turning face and forming the NWO Wolfpac with Nash was pretty good. I recall him cutting a promo on Hogan from high up in the crowd.

Edge had a pretty natural face turn back in 2001, he just started getting better reactions than Christian and WWF actually decided to make a storyline out of it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

rujasu posted:

DDP maybe?
Kidman was a good one. Fall Brawl 98. Saved Saturn from Raven, freeing the flock in the process. Won the cruiserweight title the next night.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Max Coveri posted:

Ted's little push with Maryse and even Virgil is hilarious in hindsight given the guy didn't have a twentieth of the charisma his father had.

When loving Brodus Clay is dunking on you, that's hard times, daddy.

Brodus: Ted, you're the brokest rich guy I know.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Punk uploaded this to his Instagram, the WrestleMania 30 card before he left.

Imagine what could've been.

Well this isn't really a question I guess but whatever.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I wonder was Punk at least going to go ovehahahahahahahaha

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Daniel Bryan vs. loving Sheamus AGAIN :lol:

That was it. That was their big plan for the Yes Movement. Sheamus.

And I actually like Sheamus! But even so, :laugh:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Big Show vs Kane lmao

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Jerusalem posted:

When loving Brodus Clay is dunking on you, that's hard times, daddy.

Brodus: Ted, you're the brokest rich guy I know.

Remember Brodus' short run as Alberto's bodyguard that ended when his head got split by a ladder?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Punk uploaded this to his Instagram, the WrestleMania 30 card before he left.

Imagine what could've been.

Well this isn't really a question I guess but whatever.

If we get Bryan vs. Sheamus this year I better see AEW's viewership spike.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jerusalem posted:

Daniel Bryan vs. loving Sheamus AGAIN :lol:

That was it. That was their big plan for the Yes Movement. Sheamus.

And I actually like Sheamus! But even so, :laugh:

YOU!

WANT!

SHEAMUS!!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's pretty amusing how the only women's match in WM30 was a 14-woman single-fall match that took less than seven minutes.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
That would’ve been the...fourth? fifth? consecutive time that sheamus/DB was advertised for Wrestlemania? Even though it didn’t always happen, what with their match suddenly turning into a battle royal and whatnot.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

It's not a proper face turn but the positive fan response to Raven's WCW rich kid vignettes surprised everyone involved - those fans HATED Raven before that.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

That would’ve been the...fourth? fifth? consecutive time that sheamus/DB was advertised for Wrestlemania? Even though it didn’t always happen, what with their match suddenly turning into a battle royal and whatnot.
Don't be silly, it would have only been the third time Sheamus and DB faced off in four years.

WM26: Triple H d. Sheamus / Daniel Bryan hasn't debuted yet

WM27: Dark Match Sheamus vs. Bryan turns into a battle royale that the Great Khali wins

WM28: Sheamus vs. Bryan ends in 18 seconds

WM29: Sheamus & Friends lose to the Shield, Team Hell No d. Big E/Ziggler

WM30: Bryan vs. Sheamus Bryan d. HHH, Bryan d. Orton/Batista, Sheamus loses another battle royale

WM31: Bryan wins the IC title ladder match, is challenged to a match by a returning Sheamus two days later. I guess this almost counts?

WM32: Bryan is 'retired', The League of Nations d. The New Day

WM33: Bryan is 'retired', The Bar loses a tag team title ladder match

WM34: Bryan & Shane d. KO & Sami, Strowman & Child d. The Bar

WM35: Kingston d. Bryan, The Usos d. The Bar (and others)

The real takeaway here is that in the past decade Sheamus and Daniel Bryan have ranked highly enough to have a total of five singles matches at Wrestlemania. Two were against each other (and ran under five minutes for the two), then they both wrestled Triple H, and then finally last year Bryan got one against Kofi.

There's still hope for a decisive singles match between Sheamus and Daniel this year!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Brodus/Funkusaurus/Tyrus/George Murdoch is currently being sued for sexual harassment by Britt McHenry, his co-host on Un-PC on Fox News.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The best part of his program with Alberto Del Rio was the immediate meme that it was the tag team of Don Flamenco and King Hippo

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Brodus/Funkusaurus/Tyrus/George Murdoch is currently being sued for sexual harassment by Britt McHenry, his co-host on Un-PC on Fox News.

You don't loving say.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Has anybody informed his mother?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's bad, and newsworthy, but was it REALLY necessary to remind us that Brodus Clay exists?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

When this first got reported I thought it was weird they were re-reporting an earlier story. Then I realized it was a DIFFERENT being sued for sexual harassment to the last one.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Was Val Venis over in the WWF/E? What was the height of his career?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Randaconda posted:

I dunno if video exists, but Dusty faceturn in the 70s is supposed to be epic

Judge for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJuZ-8eTaA

Basically, in a tag match, his partner accidentally hit him, so Dusty beat him up in response, turning face.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

In the MOTYC thread, Jersualem said that Okada vs. Naito was seven years in the making. Since Wrestle Kingdom's main event was a mini-tournament, there was no real primer on that finals going in and all I knew was that they were past due on pulling the trigger on Naito and this was the time for it.

So what's the big backstory to it all?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

In the MOTYC thread, Jersualem said that Okada vs. Naito was seven years in the making. Since Wrestle Kingdom's main event was a mini-tournament, there was no real primer on that finals going in and all I knew was that they were past due on pulling the trigger on Naito and this was the time for it.

So what's the big backstory to it all?

Oh boy.

OK, Naito was being groomed as early as 2013 as the successor to Tanahashi, the clean cut smiling babyface who had a big spectacular high flying finisher and would take the torch and be the rival to the young hotshot heel Kazuchika Okada. The problem is it wasn't working. He wasn't over, and when he won the G1 and came out to make the final challenge for the Wrestle Kingdom main event, even the crickets were silent. This forced NJPW to rethink the whole card and come up with a hail mary, which was to call a fan poll on whether the world title match (Okada/Naito) or the IC title (Nakamura/Tanahashi) would go on last. The fans voted for Shinsuke and Tana. So Naito is the only guy, since the briefcase tradition started, to win the G1 but NOT get his title match as the official main event at the Dome. He then spent a year or two dicking around the upper mid-card but basically being bland and pretty much not over despite the booking's best efforts. So he went back on a mini-excursion to CMLL (the same kind that resulted in Nakamura becoming the King Of Strong Style that got him over) where he met up with La Sombra and friends, Los Ingobernables. He basically went full rudo, telling racist fans to gently caress off and parodying their own racism back at them. And when he got back to Japan, he kept doing that and found some like minded buddies in EVIL and Bushi to hang out with, deciding that if the company and fans didn't want him when he worked his rear end off for them, then he was going to tell them to piss off and do the bare minimum and STILL be better. Eventually this led to him winning the world title, but only after outside interference and at Dominion, in Osaka, where he has the most heat of all. He also wins the IC title during this time and absolutely shits on it, smashing it against the ringposts, dragging it on the floor, straight up refusing to take it back to the locker room, basically just taking out the frustration he feels at being passed over for this white leather strap that was basically only invented to give MVP a vanity belt.

Fast forward to 2 years ago. Naito and LIJ have gradually turned babyface, being more anti-establishment anti-heroes, and Naito wins the G1 again. THIS time, he gets his main event with Okada, but he gets just too caught up in the moment and it costs him, he loses and it feels like this was his last chance to exorcise the demons from WK8. So he drifts back to the IC title, his relationship with it becoming more complicated as he reconciles his anger at it with the fact that winning it does in fact put him on some what of a pedestal. He more or less forgives it at WK13 when he refuses to use it on Jericho, showing the belt respect for once.

That led to him deciding if he can't best Okada in any other way, length of reign, being the youngest champion, most reigns or defences... He'll do it the only way open. By embracing the intercontinental title and being the first ever guy to hold it AND the world title at the same time. And then Ibushi and White decided to butt in and say they wanted to do that too. White even won the IC title in the autumn, pulling the goal one step further from Naito's grasp. But then ANOTHER fan poll got held to see if the fans wanted Naito's idea of the Double Gold Dash to happen. And they did. The fans chose Naito after 7 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

Was Val Venis over in the WWF/E? What was the height of his career?

Very much over as a face in like 1999. Fizzled out pretty quickly though, got a heel push against Foley at one point and nobody cared. Then he was in Right To Censor which got a lot of heat, but didn't really do anything for any of the individual members.